8-0 Win Had Nothing To Do With Tactics – It Was Bobby Robson

We’ve often said that we think a football manager’s greatest attribute, is an ability to inspire players to play at their very best.

John Carver with Newcastle manager Bobby Robson

Chris Hughton seemed to have that ability, since he had the Newcastle players playing very very well, once he first took over at the club,  almost two years ago now.

And of course one of the greatest ever English managers was Sir Bobby Robson, and Bobby had that ability born into him, it would seem.

Bobby took over a Newcastle side second bottom of the league with only a handful of points in late August of 1999, when he took over from the hapless Ruud Gullit, whose man-management abilities were seemingly non-existent.

And maybe one of  Bobby’s best ever seasons was when he got Newcastle past 50 points that season, with an exhibition of inspirational management that hasn’t been seen too many times in the Premier League since then.

And in Bobby’s first home game as Newcastle manager, we were playing Sheffield Wednesday who were the bottom of the table side, and the lads won 8-0 and were 5-0 up at half time.

It was very good for the goal difference too.

Alan Shearer equaled the maximum number of goals by any player in a Premier League game with 5, and after the game Bobby made the famous statement that you cannot win by more than 9-0.

But of course the score was 8-0. 😀

Gary Speed, the new Wales manager, is preparing his side for the game with England tomorrow in a European Championship Qualifying game, and he came out today and paid some compliments to the great man.

And one thing he said was that 8-0 win had nothing at all to do with tactics or anything like that – the players were just completely  inspired by Bobby.

Speed has played for three former Newcastle managers in Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish, who signed Gary for Newcastle,   and Sam Allardyce, and this is how he talked about Uncle Bobby:

“Bobby was fantastic, there are so many memories. He pops into my head a lot, things he said, things he did. I’m my own man, you have to be as a manager, but obviously there are things I picked up. It’s the same with Sam Allardyce at Bolton.”

“Bobby was just a fantastic man manager, he knew how to get the best out of his players. In his first game we won 8-0 against Sheffield Wednesday, that wasn’t tactics, or coaching, that was purely down to the manager and his ability to get players to run through brick walls for him.”

Fans at his former clubs have told us that Alan Pardew is an excellent man manager, and there’s never been a better time for Alan to inspire his troops to play at their very very best than right now.

If we can do that against Wolves, then we will get a win, and nerves will be significantly calmed on Tyneside.

Sounds good to us!

• Lynxie

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM

One fatal flaw in this thinking. Pardew is not fit to lace Sir Bobby’s boots, and never will be.
    Lynxie First.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Fans at his former clubs have told us that Alan Pardew is an excellent man manager –

pity he has such a dreadful results record

• Lynxie

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

If only managing ‘men’, brought points with it……….
    Also, I dont see much ‘man management’ going on with Nile Ranger. Surely giving him a run in the team would give him something that without an improved attitude, he ‘could lose’, and may buck his ideas up? ‘Losing’ a seat on the bench is not gonna spur anyone. But what do I know.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM

There is nothing wrong with Pardews man management, from what I gather and what I see!
    Its the fact that the players do NOT trust the morons in charge of the club.
    The players all loved Hughton, he was sacked
    Andy Carroll was one of the most popular players in the dressing room, SOLD.
    Insufficient contracts put on table, and players told accept or go (Just what I heard).
    I am happy with the team, Semi happy with the Manager, hasnt had long enough yet….but god, do I hate the people in charge!! If I was their employee, i would dread going into work on a daily basis, no matter what they paid me, knowing they could flog me or a mate and not do anything to inspire confidence that we are going in the right direction.

Thats not negativeity, its the way i see it.

• Davies

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I think the point with Ranger is that he has to learn discipline. Turning up late every day isn’t something that I get rewarded for in my job.

Having the right attitude has it’s rewards.

How many people do you think would have been crying out for Barton to sign his new contract three years ago?

• Thump

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM

That’s football, Angryman. It doesn’t matter who is in charge, that’s what happens.

Completely agree Davies. Barton has been a revelation since he’s cleaned himself up and I would have took the money for him when we went down.

• Lynxie

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Thump:
    me too, I wanted him sacked. he has been a revelation and if it was not for Tiote, he would have been player of the season.
    As for the people in charge, well, there is not a whole lot we can do about that. If I were a player, I would have my own pride to not want to lose a game, so the ownership argument doesn t wash I am afrai, it the players who got themselves into this mess. Carroll was injured (and is still not right) so selling him has nowt to do with where we are. Crass management to not even be in th emarkey for strikers in any case (without selling him) as we were short of both numbers and quality in any case.

• Lynxie

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Jesus my typing is getting worse. Sorry everyone, it looks like a ransom note written in the dark.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Thump,
    Mmmmm, Debateable.
    I think alot of the teams in the top half of the table, where we should aspire to be, give their managers a decent backing!!

Arsenal
    Spuds
    Chelsea
    Manure
    Mancity
    Everton
    Villa

All those teams tend to back their Managers, and do actually try to keep hold of their best players.

We should be doing the same.

Look I am all for not allowing the players to hold the club to ransome, BUT, just pay them the going rate…..if they want to be here they will take it, if they dont, traaaar good luck and all that shite!! But offering JB a short term contract on a pay cut??? Bizarre Management from the echelons

• Angryman the Angry fan

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

PS
    Not meaning to sound smug (even though I am)
    I backed Barton from Day 1, and never wavered!! i can say that with a very clear conscience!!

Used to have great barnies on here with Stardust and Dragoner et al who wanted him sacked.

Not only would that have been stupid financially, but we had a player who was one of the most talented english midfielders in the country, who in my opinion, was an EASY target for the gutter press!!
    Pleased I stuck with my instincts on Barton 😉

• Davies

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I never wanted Barton sacked either; I wanted him sold!!! Luckily for us, no one woud touch him with a barge pole at the time.

This is the reason I’m preared to give Stephen Ireland a chance. Just hope he can make a contribution this season.

Regarding the owner, the manager (who I have no beef with at the moment) and anything else that usually makes Angryman so angry, I’m waiting until the end of the transfer window before I decide whether or not they’re fighting a losing battle. I know there are supporters they’ll never get back on side, and that’s largely their own fault. At the moment, I still think they’re very much learning their trade (even if they’re taking their sweet time about doing it), but for the first time, it actually feels like Ashley has “his man” in the managers seat. Let’s see how he backs him.

• Lynxie

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Davies:

I agree, Fatty has his man in place, and backed him up without hesitation when it came to signing Tiote (unknown) and Ben Arfa (trouble with a capital T we were led to believe). the sale of the badge kissing Gyppo was great business, and we can stabilise the team for years on this money, IF it is re-invested. we can not rely on third rate strikers, that is a recipe for relegation, and relegation again, because they are not good enough/dont care enough (yes you Nile!).
    I have a suspicion that Ashley will spend, but BIG questions will be asked as to why he has only ‘partially spent’ the Carroll money. Dont forget, he has form, after pocketing the cash from the sales of Beye/Duff/Milner/Given/Bassong/Martins etc etc etc
    I know it was balancing the books and all that, so it remains to be seen. But firstly, there is a small matter of staying alive in the top league.