Danny Simpson Transfer Story Simply Hilarious

Some of the stories circulating in the gossip press are sometimes nothing short of  hilarious.

Danny Simpson – improved a lot this season

Take the recent story about three clubs wanting Newcastle’s right back Danny Simpson.

The story is that since Newcastle seem to be struggling at the moment, clubs are starting to look at some of the Newcastle players who could be picked up for a bargain price, if Newcastle are relegated.

And which, pray, are two of the three clubs interested in Simpson?

None other than Birmingham and Blackburn, and both of those clubs are lower in the Premier League than Newcastle,

Newcastle have 36 points and in 11th position, Blackburn are in 13th place with 33 points, and Birmingham are on 31 points and second bottom, but they do have a game in hand.

And even if the 1% chance happens,  and Newcastle (heaven forbid) are relegated,  Blackburn and Birmingham get nowhere near 50,000 home gates that Newcastle do, and you wonder why on earth Danny would want to join either of those two clubs.

And while Birmingham did win the Carling Cup this season, they were one of the few Premier League sides who played their first team in that competition, but we think Newcastle will take note of that, and play their first team next season – we hope so anyway and we may even win it if we do that.

Never thought of that one before, and now watch many other Premier League sides do the very same thing next season.

And there is even a chance that Birmingham will  be playing in both the Europa League and the Championship next season, if their form doesn’t take a major turn on the upside, very soon.

Celtic is the third club said to be interested, and they are different.

The Scottish club are always on the lookout for good players at a bargain price, much like Newcastle, and while the Scottish Premier league is hardly one of the better European Leagues, at least Rangers and Celtic are in the European Champions League each season.

It would help if the pure logic of some of these stories is looked at a little more closely, before they are published.

😀

• Stuart

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Also heard that West Ham are interested.

Obviously bollocks though, who would move from newcastle to brum or west ham?

We could still probably do with a better right back though, as much as he is improving this season.

• BiffBaffBoff

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Actually alot of our ex-players have moved to either Brum or West ham 😛

Also Brum recently won a trophy which any Newcastle fan would die for + in recent years you could say both of those teams are “bigger” than us as we have just got promoted where as Brum have been in the league for 2 years now + won that cup and West ham have been in the league a good 4-5 years and have had some better finishes then us so you shouldnt laugh at these stories…

• Stuart

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

ALright then, I’ll put it this way, who’s going to choose 50000+ fans every week over the 30000 max you’re probably going to get at brum or west ham.

Only real reason is money, if they offer more and a player is money orientated then they will, otherwise theres no reason.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM

there were demos outside SJP when local favoutite CF pop robson went to west ham (19701?)

• RedMissionBells

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Dear Ed,
    I realised that you often consider Newcastle United a Bigger club by its home attendance. I beg to differ. Arsenal used to have a tiny stadium called Highbury and they were Not a small club before moving to Emirates.

As a Newcastle United fan, I think we need to stop dreaming and start living in reality. Drawing 50 000 home crowds does not make Newcastle United a big club.
    Newcastle United is at best (at the moment) a mid table club that has not won anything substantial in the past few decades. Even Birmingham recently secured the League Cup.

Having said that, I must agree that Danny Simpson has a bright future ahead of him.
    Danny Simpson is definitely a future England international if he works hard on his game.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM

WWJBD – to my knowledge ashley has done a decent amount in our training, youth systems and, judging by the ben arfa treatment, man management. i know i just opened myself up to the ashley lover insults

no – I agree, he is hopeless at public relations (one reason for getting AP as a mouth piece) and made some bad mistakes (kinear/wise fiasco) but he now appears to have a good all round plan sorted out for which he deserves credit but he will probably only be properly appreciated after he is gone

• supermacnumber9

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM

RedMissionBells – NUFC are a big club – it is the team that are mid-table, and I have a gut feeling that the team will rise to our full potential in the next couple of seasons! we are the NU the NUFC
    HWTL

• supermacnumber9

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM

win a cup next season then wembley and the world will be in no doubt if we are a big club or not!
    HWTL

• WWJBD

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Danny Simpson is a star in the making and has a brilliant partnership with Barton. He should be a future england international but may get hurt because he plays for Newcastle. (having said that I’d prefer that he didnt play for England)

I also agree the toon arent a ‘big’ team anymore but I think we are well on the way to getting back to that status. We have the fans, the stadium, the passion and the history….just need to get more depth in the squad and some more classy players to fit into the team

• bassongs_of_praise

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM

If a decent sum was offered for Simpson I would take it like a shot – very average player whose annoying habit of backing off his man is at the heart of a lot of goals we concede.

He would be ok backup to a better right back but doubt he would be interested in staying as backup so I would sell him if there is genuine interest.

• Davies

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM

supermacnumber9 – I agree with you almost entirely. The owner and his chronies are on a learning curve, as far as being football club owners is concerned, but the business plan is sound.

I’m not an “Ashley lover”, or “Ashley apologist”, but I don’t have the same seething hatred for the bloke as some do.

• WWJBD

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM

haha glad someone agrees. I agree once he eventually leaves I think people will see what he has done behind the scenes and many will change their tune on him.

If he had communicated more with the fans then his time in the club could have been a more successful one. Even with the mistakes he has made. Lets just hope the next owners are more open

• Angryman the Angry fan

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Davies,
    A HUGE learning curve it is!! Whats it been?? 4 years 5 years!! Huge!!!

remember, 3 years into this learning curve, the fat mans mismanagement took us down a league!!

and WWJBD,
    what exactly is the good work this man has done behind the scenes at St James? I mean do you work for him? or are you in the same boat as rest of us on here, just listen to his propaganda mill churning out crud after crud!!

I mean he has cut the wage bill substantially, whoopeeeee, but how the F11ck are we, one of the best supported clubs in the world nevermind the country, how are we stilling managing to run at a loss??? Because from where i am sitting, chunky cheeks has been coining it in, in every single transfer window for the last 4-5 years!!!

Astounded thats all!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I know, lets just put the fact that we are still managing to run at a loss, even though he told us the fans he had paid all the debts 4 years ago, down to POOR MANAGEMENT!

Because if my company was running at a loss for last 2-3 years, and IF i had such a customer base, BIGGER than most clubs in the country, id be looking at my Management team and saying What the F11ck are you lot doing here?????

Would my reaction be wrong?

• WWJBD

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM

@Angryman we were in the championship last year….the money from playing in that league is tiny compared to what you get playing in the epl. Its a given we were going to make a lose however we are set up to make a profit by staying in the top league.

As for him ‘coining’ in on transfer windows I’d argue he had to to cover debts and keeping the club afloat in the championship. The players who left (in the most part) were a drain or wanted to go.

For the record am not a ashley apologist neither do I work for him. I am doing what you are doing mate and reading what come out of the club….I just prefer to read into it in a different light than what you do, I dont believe it all trustme but still.

We are a highly supported team but what does that matter?

• geoff777

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I hate Ashley owning the club that I support.

I live for the day the man and his casino cronies leave the club.

• thepict

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Angry Man was it not inept performances by the players who didn’t give a flying f***k about the club the reason we were relegated? Yes Ashley made mistakes but at least he appears now to have a proper business plan. If only he would communicate more with the fans.

• coolcatcarter89

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM

If Simpson studied how the guy in the picture with him, moves off the ball, then he’d be first class. He’s dependable, but he must add something to his game that sets him apart.

• danmcclew

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM

League position has nothing to do with it whatsoever these days…if a club offer him better money players will be away. Just look at carroll, bent, rooney (nearly) etc etc.

If you think he will stay at newcastle purely because of league position you must be crazy!