Newcastle To Tour USA In Summer – Kansas City Date Confirmed

Newcastle United and Sporting Kansas City have confirmed today that they will meet in a friendly on Wednesday, July 20, at the Livestrong Sporting Park in Kansas.

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew

It was rumored this morning that Newcastle would tour the USA this summer, but now the club have announced their first fixture stateside.

The Sporting Kansas City club have also  announced the game on their own web-site and the Sporting club’s CEO Robb Heineman had this to say about the game:

“This match will continue the presence of prominent soccer matches in Kansas City and will be an outstanding opportunity for supporters to see Sporting Kansas City play against another strong team from the English Premier League,”

“We are excited to bring a club that has such a passionate following, and we are hopeful that their great fans will join us in Kansas City at Livestrong Sporting Park.”

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew added this:

“Myself and the team are really looking forward to coming to America in the summer and playing against Sporting Kansas City. We’re planning a few days training in Kansas before the game which will form an integral part of our build up for the 2011/12 season.”

“I know Manchester United were in Kansas last year, and went home beaten, so we know full well what a tough game it’ll be for us, but that’s exactly the sort of challenge we’ll be looking for.”

“We’re delighted also to be able to put on a technical clinic for the coaches in Kansas which we hope will assist with the development of the sport in the region.”

“It should be a very good week for all concerned and I would like to express our thanks to the people of Kansas for extending the invitation to us.”

This is some of what was on the Sporting Kansas City web-site today – and from we can tell it seems that Newcastle United is quite a famous club.

😀

Newcastle are expected to hold training sessions at the Sporting Club Training Center in Swope Park from July 17 through July 19 as part of their pre-season.

VIP packages, including the opportunity to attend a Newcastle United training session, an exclusive autograph session with the Newcastle players, and a coaches’ clinic with the team’s technical staff, will be made available at a later date.

Newcastle United, commonly referred to as The Magpies and The Toon, have a long history at the top level of professional soccer in England, dating back to their origins as a club in 1892.

Newcastle’s legacy includes iconic players such as Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer and Andy Cole in recent generations.

The four-time first division champions have also won six FA Cups and the European Fairs Cup in 1969.

The club is well-known in the modern era of European competition, having also advanced to the semi-finals of the 2003-04 UEFA Cup and advancing out of the group stage in the 2002-03 UEFA Champions League.

• lewman

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM

we better send benny, jonas and ferguson out there as they might just win us a few new fans with their dribbling skills.

• BeeGuy

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hey Ed, when the Mexican Natl. team or someone like Club America come to Charlotte, we get 65,000. I think NUFC and a top Mexican would be another sellout in the Queen City. Can you get word to the club?

• Toon_Fresh

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM

This is the most DEVASTATING news of my life. I’ve lived within 5 hours of Kansas City my entire life and now I’m in South Korea teaching for a year. FFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

• pizzicatochan

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I wish they can come to the West Coast.

• boater

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Kansas? Squeal piggy squeal. Watch out for the redneck with no eyebrows playing the banjo.

Oh America – you’re just a third world country.

• NUFCmagpie

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM

@ Boater – “Oh America – you’re just a third world country.”

dont lump us all in with the rednecks! I live in Seattle and am a newcastle and sounders fan. i wish they would come play the sounders this summer instead of manure. i might have to make the trip to Kansas just to see them though…any word of them playing against the other european teams traveling to the US?

• supermacnumber9

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I’m not being cheeky, just curious, how come there are NUFC supporters in the states? how many of you do you think there are? is it on TV?

• NUFCmagpie

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM

@ supermac

i can’t answer for everyone but i have cousins in Newcastle and was introduced to footy and NUFC when i visited them at the age of 8. if you want to see the diversity for yourself look at the comments Kansas page linked below. I would wager that many people (myself included) will travel around to see them this summer and that would be the best opportunity to see the support they have in the states.

as for TV we have 3 channels that play footy over here, Fox soccer, Fox soccer plus and ESPN 2 (doesn’t play that many games).

• N.Ireland Mag

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:32 PM

@NUFCmagpie

Hey man, I’m a Toon and Sounders supporter too!

I’m originally from N.I., lived in Newcastle for a few years and now I live in Spokane, WA.

When I saw Kansas were hosting the Toon I thought it’s be awesome to have them at Qwest field too!

• safferman

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Brilliant, booking my flight from North Carolina! My first game was at the 5-1 win against sunderland in Oct, hope for another epic game!

• USGeordie

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:57 PM

This is music to my ears. I’m in Maryland and just might make the trip out there to see them. Hope they come to the east coast too!

• boztoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Reading this blog makes u feel like a yoyo up n down up n down all the time!
    My personal view is things will be fine this season we will finish about 12th and be a good 7 points off relagation and this summer we will strengthen and spend +30 mill on players and cant wait to see the squad for next season.
    But when u read constant comments from people being so negative n miserable it gets to u n u start feeling the same until u see someone share ur optimism n excitement then ur feeling good again.
    Roll on saturday and get a huge 3 points thats needed

• sammydolan

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Anyone want my 2 villa tickets?

• NUFCmagpie

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM

@N. Ireland Mag

It’s a shame Newcastle will be in KC since their new stadium that’s under construction will only hold 18,000 as opposed to quest fields 67,000. The sounders only have 1 friendly this summer in the season ticket package and it’s against manure….the only team in the prem (aside from 5under1and) that I have no interest in. I can’t stand all the Man U fans in the states that I’ve met…can’t imagine what they’re like I’m England

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM

hearing weve agreed deals with seb larrson and keiren westwood to sign when window opens, if this is true then u would have to think forster or kruls time is up n u would think forster bcause the over thing i keep hearing is gary hooper for cash plus forster from celtic

• AndyE93

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Carrol has just scored for England. Wasn’t sure what to do really

• JohnnyBrookes

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:54 PM

haha I was going to post about Carroll. I for one, am happy for him, he got shafted lets be honest.

He was clearly pushed out despite what many would have you believe on here. Good for him, that 35m doesn’t seem all that good now we are in a relegation dogfight with no decent strikers.

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM

its all over twitter and some over sites jus says agreed deals with a prem winger and goalie from championship but since larrson n westwood are both free agents soon am assuming its those since we wanted both in the jan window

• JSimp19

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM

@NUFCmagpie and N.Ireland Mag, this is crazy. I too am a NUFC and Sounders fan albeit living in the toon. Qwest would get a great crowd if NUFC came to town, they may even open up the top tier… one day!!

• AndyE93

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Let’s be honest here though lads, if we spend the money wisely, win the carling cup or get into europe next season selling Carrol might be the best thing big fat Mike has done. We will have to wait and see, also Westwood is a very good shotstopper, would probably take Harpers place and send the other 2 young keepers out on loan, or sell one of them

• carlton nufc

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

How much u want for the tickets sammy and what date we playing them

• JohnnyBrookes

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Awesome, Free Transfers, and a keeper, that we don’t even need.

Larsson can take a running jump as far as I’m concerned. Looks like the free transfer/money saving plan is in action> What happened to Gervinho/Lens and all these others eh.

Seb Larsson, an average winger with no pace. But hey Pardew wants to add pace, I see how that works with a slow as f*** winger.

• coolcatcarter89

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM

England are playing with Brazilian fluidity! O.O

Hope we sign an assured finisher as AC, you knew he would bury that the moment it fell to him.

• boztoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Larsson did score tonight against Maldovia if it makes u feel better johnny

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM

jb can still sign players like gervinho, taking advantage of the fact u can get players tied up now if there contracts are up, will larrson be a starter not for me would he improve are sqaud definetely yes, as for westwood were never gonna be able to krul n forster happy with sitting on bench, wish harps would retire so at least we could have forster or krul fight it out, id assume westwood n harps will fight for the no1 jersey next year, either krul or forster will be sold n the other will go on loan till harps retires

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

probably not even true jus on the net bet we are in talks its been confirmed, but like i say if its true id put money on us offering cash+forster for gary hooper since weve been watching him all season

• atom

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM

USGeordie- Where in Maryland? I live around Baltimore.

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM

plus if its true id also put money on us signing ireland the pardew was talking about him on the radio the other nyt, so that could be westwood, larrrson n ireland the first 3 signings n they all fit the profile of young players

• dazza

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM

if I have to, I’ll drive down from Denver but hoping that the tours extends to the mile high city!

• JohnnyBrookes

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Yeah true guys, just really does my head in seeing AC bang one in for England when we had him for half a season and despite the injury he would have been integral now, at this juncture.

I hate Ashley/Pardew etc etc but I will give them this one transfer window to change my mind. I just don’t want the AC money squandered on average players

• So-Cal Toon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I have already contaced KC and their rep is going to let me know when the VIP package is available. Hoepfully just the first stop then on to the west coast.

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:41 PM

jb none of us want average players coming in but u hav to remember its not just about buying players for the first 11 its bout building a sqaud and replacing players with better players whether its sqaud player or first 11

• ochytoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Anyone know if this Westwood lad is any good

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM

westwood is actually a very highly rated keeper but gotta b on honest aint seen much of him apart from when we played them last season but he has played like over 300 senior games n been capped by ireland 9times n he is only 26

• djm...

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Lads I’m pretty sure where only allowed To talk to players who are out of contract in the summer and play outside of England, so that rules out larsson and elmander for now. I’m not sure we really nee to spend alot of money on the first team (although I would be happy if we did) I would be quite content with a team looking like

Harper
    Simpson Williamson collocini Enrique
    Barton tiote
    Gervinho Ben arfa jonas
    (New hold up player)

• djm...

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM

.. It’s depth we need because when we have had the majority of our first team available we have competed well, it is really the players that are going to come in when injuries and suspensions hit that need to improve

• ochytoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Cheers, thats a pretty decent record and he would be a good replacement for Harper by the sounds of things as I don’t think Krul will make it yet and Forster will probably want to go to Celtic although from what I’ve seen of him, he’s a bit average and makes some really dodgy mistakes

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM

djm – players who are out of contract in the summer can talk to other clubs and can sign a pre contract agreement with other clubs which means the wages n length of contract is agreed now and once the window opens all that needs done is the medicals

• davybtoon

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM

djm i agree with u that the players that come into the team when theres injurys need to b better quality, n also on transfers, fee can be agreed with other clubs now for the window opening

• NorseToonBrann

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM

truly amazed to see how many american supporters we have:) from norway myself. don’t suppose ill see the team here any time soon.. blæ