Newcastle To Make Big Effort To Keep Enrique?

News from the BBC today, which is not particularly new news it seems.

Jose Enrique – offer him a good deal – please!

It’s that Newcastle plan to open contract talks with Jose Enrique, just as soon as the Tyneside club secure their Premier League safety.

But with Newcastle seemingly getting on a much more solid financial footing, and the Newcastle MD Derek LLambias yesterday saying that club owner Mike Ashley’s goals are to have Newcastle in Europe every season, it now seems as though the club are ambitious.

Jose is ambitious too, and after the selling of Andy Carroll for £35M in January, both fans and players seemed to question what the London owner wanted to do with the club.

Sell the best players periodically for big money, or build a top team.

Newcastle signed Jose from Villarreal for £6.3m in August of 2007, and he has become a huge success on Tyneside, and the best left-back Newcastle have had in some time.

Newcastle are still two wins away from safety in the Premier League,  but could capture three of those points on Saturday, although Jose is a big doubt for the game, because of his troublesome hamstring injury.

So Newcastle could presumably reach 42 points and safety by a week on Saturday, when they play Aston Villa away.

We are big fans of the 25 year-old Spaniard, and that’s not just because he seems a regular reader of this blog.

😀

Jose is already a very good player, and seems to be improving with every season on Tyneside, and if Newcastle are truly to challenge for Europe next season, then  the club will need players like Jose Enrique and Joey Barton at the club.

Newcastle fans will be hoping the club can tie both these players up on long term contracts, and it would be great news if they can announce both deals, before the transfer window this summer even opens.

Both Jose and Joey need to be offered good long term contracts, and thee sooner the better, and these two top players, who are already in demand by other clubs, must be kept on Tyneside.

The club should make every effort possible to keep these top players, especially after Andy has left.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:15 AM

if he wants to go fair enough, thank him for his services – he’s been great
    but don’t try to talk him into staying – hold out for the top price and plan NOW for a good (even better) replacement

• Stuart

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM

He’s never said himself that he wants to leave, I think his last public statement was he would enter talks about a new contract once we were safe.

My blind optimism means I reckon he’ll do just that aslong as he gets some assurances that were going to improve the quality of the squad in the summer.

• dave 1961

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM

we will not get a better replacement, but what’s stopping him from getting a longer contract with a buyout clause, or the club having an agreement that we will not stand in his way when he wants to go, and he will at least get a loyalty bonus when he does go, then we get maximum from the deal, but we do need back up that’s one thing we have known for many years.

• geoff777

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Enrique has witnessed first hand how well the club is run. He’s either had enough of the drama or perhaps he’ll miss the roller-coaster ride and may find Milan too quiet. 😉

If he can be talked into staying that is better than finding a replacement.

He knows the position so well, and links up superbly with Colo, Jonas & Nolan.

A replacement that isn’t going to make mistakes at Premiership level will cost us about what we’ll get for Enrique, if you take agents fees etc. into account.

• geoff777

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:33 AM

BTW has Ed picked the icons for us or is it random?

I can take a hint … 😉

• john DSOUZA

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Harper

Simpson-taylor-colo-jose

Joey-toto-nolan-jonas

Ranger-kuqui

• john DSOUZA

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Guess ed pickd it, lol

• damonmwade

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I hope he does want to stay with us, we have seen too many times in the past were players dont want to be here and they stop trying and play rubbish.

Jose has been one hell of a player for us and we will always be thankful of that no matter what his decision is

• Playmaker10

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Enrique is the best Left Back in the Premier League and nobody in world football could replace him he has too stay if we are to move forward and push for Europe.

• toonturtle

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I would love to see Enrique stay, but if big clubs such as Milan are after him, I would not stand in his way. Would prefer for him to go abroad if he were to leave!

I am still hoping that he loves the Toon and will stay!!!!

• Davies

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

It would be a massive shame if he left, but if he did, there are other options. I know it’s unlikely, but I’d really like Patrick van Aanholt, if Jose decided to move on.

• Lyons

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I Hope Jose will stay and i hope NUFC offer him a contract that is representative of the value he adds to our side! He is the best defender we have had in the last 10 years easily.

Jose – JOSE- JOOSEE – JOSE – Jose – jose…

• Davies

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

You have no idea how much my little avatar actually resembles me.

• Toonaholic

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:08 PM

we should just stop guessing, and wait untill the summer transfer ends then we will see if enrique wants to saty, if the 35mill get invested into the squad. till then only mike ashley and jose enrique know.

• Lyons

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:08 PM

i’ve got the best icon 🙂

• john DSOUZA

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Lol ma icon is cul

• Alberts_tash

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM

As great as Jose is, to say no-one in world football could replace him is a bit much.

• ronaldeano

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM

If he does leave, we will have to bring in 2 left backs… One to replace and one for cover… Hope Jose stays tho, he’s the best LB we have ever had IMO

• Alberts_tash

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM

ha ha, also, my icon suits my face.

• ronaldeano

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Angryman the Angry fan should have my icon by the way! :0)

• rwpoynter

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Good idea this Ed, just to see what icon I get.
    As for Jose, I hope he and Joey Barton stay. The sale of Andy Carroll was good business, because he wasn’t worth £35m but it has caused a drop in moral around the club. I just hope it doesn’t start a ‘domino’ effect.

• tom tomb

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

sorry lads- I don’t do rumours normally but I heard this morning from a top source (who I will not disclose so don’t ask). That Enrique is off to Milan for £14 million, it’s a done deal.

• tom tomb

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM

How Ed were did you get my school photie from?

• rwpoynter

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Not bad, I fully expected a miserable one which my wife would have said,’that’s just right for you’!
    What’s happened to Captain Beefheart? I know I called him a miserable old fart once, but I do miss his stimulating comments!

• Solaidback

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM

tom tomb, who’s yer source, Hienze or HP?? lol

I think El Toro will stay, as he loves us as much as we love him, he juist wants us to be safe in the PL & for Ashley to spend some dosh on new faces & then he’ll sign a new 5 year deal on 50k/week & be the best LB in the land… 🙂

Love the Icons Ed, very cool.. 🙂

• lobacka

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I think he’ll stay, we’ll know by the end of april when were well over 40 points 🙂

• Jammydodger

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hope he stays, I think hes just waiting until we’re safe and then he will sign, just wants to make sure he isn’t playing in 2nd division again which is fair enough

• Expat MAG

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I hope Jose decides to stay and signs a new Contract. If he really wants to leave and can get close to the £14Mn as suggested above from Milan, we should be able to bring in an adequate replace.

Young Van Arnolt would be my choice as Jose’s replacement, IF Jose decides to go, although Taiwo is a free agent and worth a punt.

Let’s start by getting 3 points against the Wolves on Saturday and ensuring we are playing in the PL next season. HWTL!!!!