Serious Situation Starting To Develop At Sunderland

In the two games today, two sides who were beneath Newcastle in the league were defeated, and those two were Blackpool and Sunderland.

Steve Bruce – big challenge for the Sunderland manager

Fulham easily beat a poor looking Blackpool side 3-0 at Craven Cottage, and it looked all too easy.

And manager Mark Hughes seems to have done in his first season at Fulham, what he did when he took over at Blackburn, back in September, 2004, after Graeme Souness left to become became the Newcastle manager.

Mark has steadied the ship, after a faltering start to his Fulham career, and the Craven Cottage side are now looking a decent side, and picking up the points too, and they are now just one point behind Newcastle after 31 games played.

But a frightening story is starting to develop at Sunderland, as they were hammered 5-0 at Manchester City this afternoon,  and looked woeful, and that’s being polite.

The Wearsiders have taken just a single point – a creditable 0-0 draw at the Emirates Stadium against Arsenal –  in their last 7 games – that’s just  one point from the last 21 on offer.

And this is not the time to go into that kind of slump, with lower positioned sides starting to pick up some points.

The disturbing thing that manager Steve Bruce has to fix, and fix quickly, is that when the going gets tough in a game,  a number of Sunderland players seem to disappear.

That’s exactly what it was like at Newcastle during the relegation season, and as soon as Newcastle went behind in a game, a number of our players just became invisible – usually the ones who were getting the most money. 😀

Newcastle are 9th top on 39 points and a goal difference of +2, and Sunderland are now in 12th place on 38 points, just one point less than the Magpies, but now have a goal difference of -9.

With 7 games to go it will still be a very close thing as to which  of the three teams are relegated.

But it could be that both Wigan and Blackpool don’t have enough good players of sufficient class to stay up, but who the third team will be who make the drop, is anybody’s guess right now.

• toonjohners

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Hahahahahaha… I love it.

Highlights of the weekend footy here:

• youngtoonfan

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

LET’S ALL LAUGH AT SUNDERLAND LA LA LA LA

• olivant

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I think it would be sad if Sunderland went down, I like to beat them in the EPL hehe. By the way was it our Xisco who scored in Spain today, for Deportivo I think ?

• boonarmy

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

haha

• daneevz

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Really enjoyed super sunday today blackpool in free fall great for us by i do like I.Holloway and them mackems might have to settle on playing them only in the fa/league cup nxt yr wen they go down ah well!!

• Hugh Jorgan

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Sunderland have not won a game for seven games now and where they once had European aspirations, they will now be looking down towards the bottom of the table, just six points above the relegation zone.

Courtesy of the BBC

• atoonlad

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

To make it even funnier also is they aint scored a goal in over 7 hours of play time !

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

My heart relegation outcome:

Mackems (just because)
    Villa (took so much pleasure in relegating us)
    Wigan (pathetic excuse for a prem club)

My head relegation outcome:

Blackpool
    Wolves
    Wigan

• t00ntime

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM

o this is copied from my last post because i just realised you all moved on 😛

Well in theory we can still qualify for Europa but then a few things would have to happen:
    1. Newcastle would have to finish 6th
    2. Man city would have to win the FA cup
    3. Man city would have to drop to 5th in league

Because the runner-up of the FA cup only qualifies if the winner has qualified for the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, but if he has only qualified for the Europa then the runners up get nothing.

but there’s a bit too many ifs so well just go for a top 10 finish, and aim for a win against Man united and Liverpool no lets lose to Man united and thrash Liverpool 5-0 with a hat-trick for Best/Shola ( whoever is playing )

HWTL

p.s which teams do you want to have relegated?
    my favorite would be :
    1 Sunderland ( bragging rights XD )
    2. Aston Villa ( they go down because of our wins against them )
    3. wolves ( I don’t know why but I just don’t like Mick ( the manager))

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

toontime, you probably dont like Mick because of this:

I’d honestly like Blackpool to go down. The whole “breath of fresh air” – omg how many times has that been said – thing has worn off, and now we’re just left with a manager with an over inflated ego who whines about referees constantly.

Also, yes Blackpool were doing well, but noone gives us any credit for how unbelievably well we’ve done. If we finish in the top half it’ll be the most impressive return to the prem since we came up last time and finished 3rd!

• arcarius

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM

If Villa went down it would be mint, not just because they sent us down 2 seasons ago but they’ve got some good young players as well such as Albrighton, Delph and Delfouneso

• boater

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Villa to go down would be the dream – after those ‘sob on the tyne’ banners two years ago. Wigan next.. they barely scrape a half full stadium most games – a rugby town let’s face it, plus plenty of young decent players to sign up. Wolves aye or Hammers after that,,, just to shut the media up.

• Toonboy_84

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

my heart bleeds for the mackems 🙂

• Darryl

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM

This article is a non starter for me. “Serious situation”? 1 point behind newcastle? Does that mean we are in a equal situation – I thought all was bright? Your thinking does have a negative outlook on ourselves. Remember, we have some very hard games coming up. End of the day, they were beaten by Man City. We could easily go the next 3-4 games without a win. I’m keeping my head firmly on my shoulders before i start laughing at another team, when they are 1 point behind us. Tut.

• daneevz

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM

darryl dissapointing stop being a serioso we all love a laugh at the makems and they have a much harder run in than us and we hate them so just join in u might like it!!

• moonraker

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Darryl

Lighten up man! we are light years ahead of the Mackems and not a chance of going down now. I havnt worked it out but it’s probably almost mathematically impossible given the clubs below us that have to play each other 🙂

• Toonmania

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Now where is daffy when you need a mackem to wind up 😀

• moonraker

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM

daffy ! Where are ya?

• Thump

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I made this video for all the Sunderland fans who might read this blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqT6En2O78

• dave 1961

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I don’t want the unwashed down I just want to do better than them, and our win gives us the momentum to take us forward while defeat piles on the pressure. really to not react to them just shows how much better we are more class, its like having a peasant working your fields a saying make sure to de louse yourself when your done.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Lee Cattermole ha ha ha…
    He was terrible

• Thump

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I agree dave. I love the derby games and going out with a girl who lives over Easington way, know a lot of mackems. Nearly every one of them said they wished we didn’t go down because it was the highlights of the season.

I agreed 🙁

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I agree with you on this Darryl:

The Mackems are only a point behind and have an easier run in than us!
    We only have to lose one and they win one and their serious situation becomes our frigging nightmare.

Shame on you all, think about this: no Derby against them for one year! I don,t want them back down in the Championship, coz they would more than likely do the same as us and bounce straight back up!

The best thing we can do is just concentrate on winning every game we play or at least getting a point. We can satisfy ourselves at the end if we are above them at the end?

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Toontime – You’re absolutely right!! I forgot that it was Aston Villa that had signs ready for the match incase we went down as you all know we did. Them bast*rds I hope they go down just for laughing at us. It really hurt to see that especially being from a team that I had no grudge with and in all honesty I had respect for. Now I just hope they go down and we nick a few of their good players HA! LOL

Ps. ED – Where are the numbers on the comments it was really helpful when answering a comment from a fellow fan.

Howay the Lads!! 😀

• Burni

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Mixed feelings about this one eh? Well not for me like I’m sorry. The mackems took great pleasure in ripping us when we were relegated (I guess coz its only happened once to us and 10 times or summit to them) and I get the whole, we should have more class, but no way, I would take GREAT pleasure in rubbin it in their faces much as they did to us! I truly don’t care about class at all in this instance! I would also be really happy if villa go down too coz of the way they were when we did!

But…… Darryl is kinda right, although the way he puts it may not be the way I would! We are literally one point ahead, yeah they’re in a bit of a slump but it seemed we were before the wolves match didn’t it? Now if u came on here before the wolves match everyone felt like this was “last chance saloon” so I agree to an extent that were not too far away from them and one or two losses either way could change things drastically but still, I’d love to rip the pee out of those monkeys from weirside

• connor_nufc

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Yes our xisco

• Thump

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Villa fans are a disgrace, to be honest. The most plastic in the whole of the country if I’m honest.

As for the logo, do you mean the ones the Mackem’s made for them? This one?

• Thump

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

(cont.)

Because I made this for N-O when they sold Bent to Villa.

…should probably try and get a pass reset for my N-O account too now my computer is back up.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Thump – The disgraceful Aston Villa fans had signs that read something like: ‘ HAHA Enjoy The Fizzy League’ and ‘F-Off Newcastle I hope u stay down’, it was signs like that that had me in disbelief. Considering I was distraught when the match ended to see those sign from fu*king Villa fans was a huge kick in the teeth. Especially when Martins had come so close to saving us from the drop to grab an equalizer from a sitter just yards out. Man Martins’ shooting accuracy was dreadful and cost us our prem status as did that gold digging cu*t Owen – What a waste of money. He can rot in Man U’s bench.

• Jose Enrique

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I hope Aston Villa, Wigan and Wolves go down because it could leave some good bargains for us to take advantage of.

Rodallega – 5m
    Moses – 2m
    NZogbia – 8m
    Albrighton – 5m
    Delph – 4m
    Delfonso – 4m
    Doyle-5m
    Jarvis-5m

• cupiddstunt

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I would much prefer the mackems to stay up, in fact I would have preferred to have the smoggies come back up with us, it would be nice to have the three NE teams to be in the prem battling each other.

With us coming out on top of course, 😉

• daffy

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Bad day at the office but well STILL be above yous at the end of the season

• dave 1961

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

just thinking of a suitable song for the unwashed
    Electric Light Orchestra Don’t Bring Me Down the best so far

• daffy

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Aey funny , wouldnt think you were only 1 point ahead with a shit run in would ya?

• solano

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Wehey! Dafty…..good to see you……just read your jealous comments on our attendances on smb………don’t worry, bud…….you probably won’t go down but don’t believe your run in is easy……they are 6 pointers against a lot of teams who are scrapping away in the dogfight and have been all winter long…….you were dreaming of Yewrup just 7 weeks ago and you may find the pressure to get results too much to handle…….you won’t be troubling passport control anytime soon, that’s for sure……just like us……but I have many nice memories and a photo on the wall of me and 15000 others in the away end in the San Siro on a Champions League night……

• daffy

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Aey Solano , bet your hairs thinned a bit since then , lets face it some are just there to make the numbers up , but fair comment we are in trouble , & theres no easy games , if we havent got the balls for these games we dont deserve to stay up , on paper we should have an easier run in.

• solano

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM

The old barnet went a long time before Daf…..around about the time we flirted with the 3rd Division…..of course, our huge attendances can prove counter-productive in actually trying to bring about change and progress but if we are going to be locked in a battle for mediocrity together, I will take solace in our very impressive derby record …..and the fact that, even with an enthusiastic and passionate chairman and a billionaire who is willing to spend on his squad, you are still no further forward than us………

• Brutooon

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:44 AM

its great if Sunderland are relegated (BTW 5-0 in your face mackems!) since they are proud that they are in good club “stability”

• Thump

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Remember when Sunderland were in the third division? Oh how I laughed.

That’s a good point though, Solano. They’re probably in worse condition to be honest, I mean how many loanees does Sunderland have this season?

Like to see you buy all of those…

• Lynxie

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Good point Thump. One of the prime reasons we got relegated was becasue a number of players didnt give a toss (they were not going to be there anyway the following season, and hence it was no harm to them: Owen, Martins, Bassong, Beye, Duff).
    Now lets have a quick think about Muntari (doesnt care, did not break sweat, and cant play judging by yesterday) Welbeck (purrrleeeez, does anyone who thinks he is gonna swap Man Utd for Albania – on – Wear?) , Sessegnon (looks a canny player and at least stuck to it yesterday. They will not keep hold of him)
    Not to metion Zenden (aged about 40 now and it shows), Ferdinand (not even the best defender in his family, let alone the club), Gordon (made of porcelain and fine glass it appears), Turner (f**king hopeless), Bardsley (see Turner), Henderson (impostor),

Yes sirreee. The future is bright, the future is in Black and White.