Danny Guthrie Got The Job Done On Saturday

Danny Guthrie has not had a good season, but he came in for Cheick Tiote on Saturday, and got the job done in defensive midfield for Newcastle, in their excellent 4-1 win over Wolves.

Danny Guthrie – did good job on Saturday

Guthrie did suffer with a knee injury at the start of the season, and it stopped any momentum he had in pre-season, but of course places in Newcastle’s central midfield these days are hard to come by,  with Tiote and Nolan in outstanding form for Newcastle this season.

But the 23-year-old is a very decent player, and will only get better as he gets more games for the Newcastle first team.

Whether Danny can get a contract extension at some point in the next 14 months,  when his current four year contract runs out,   is anybody’s guess.

Guthrie had a good solid performance for Newcastle last Saturday, and he had this to say today to the Newcastle press:

“I’ve had a frustrating season.” “It had been six weeks since I’d played when we played Wolves the other day, so it’s been tough.”

“It’s always difficult to get into a game, let alone the pressure of this game like Wolves, but I was really pleased.”ory Coasst International

“Like anyone, I can only get better with games, and hopefully I can have a little run in the team now.”

“It’s strange how it works out – you’re not involved for six weeks, and then you could be looking at a run of two or three games. I was pleased to get 90 minutes.”

“I felt good, and can only get better. My sharpness and fitness can only improve.”

Alan Pardew had rightly pointed out before the game with Wolves, that Danny has different qualities than the player he was replacing, Ivory Coast International  Cheick Tiote.

But Danny played a very smart and uncomplicated game for Newcastle against Wolves, and there was no weakness at all in the center of the Magpies defense on Saturday.

Guthrie, who is still only 23,  was able to get the ball and then he distributed it well – without any complications of fuss.

That was good play from the Shrewsbury-born player, as he continued:

“Everyone knows how well Cheick’s done.” “We’re two different types of player.”“He’s done brilliantly this season, but I can only bring what I’ve got to the team, which is getting the ball down and passing.”

“First and foremost it was a brilliant result against Wolves. We knew it was a massive game.”

“In the last six games, we had lost a couple and teams had gained on us.”  “It was a great opportunity to win a game, and we did that emphatically.”

“I’m from Wolverhampton – it was nice to put one over them as I know a few Wolves fans!” “Sometimes we’re a bit naive at home, and we need to be a bit more streetwise and kill games off.”

“The players hear the roar of the crowd, and everyone wants to bomb forward. We have to be smart, and I think we were. The second goal just before half-time eased everything.”

“They put up a good fight, and had their spells, but I thought we defended well and limited them to crosses, but not real chances.”

Danny was born in Shrewsbury, which is about 28 miles from Wolverhampton, and he now has 82 appearances for the Newcastle first team with 5 goals.

Danny can play either defensive midfield or attacking midfield in the center of the park,  and we hope he can get a few more games through the end of the season, to show Alan Pardew just what he can do for Newcastle.

• Brutooon

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM

He done OK, maybe 5/10 since Barton do a 9/10 so when both combine we got an average of 7/10 which gave us 4-1 result 🙂

• JGreaves

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

i thought he had a really good game, watching him he made no big mistakes just kept things simple and kept the ball moving, looking good

• G

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Bad ‘cut & paste’ day Ed?

• oldbobaycliffe

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM

thought he played well as a d/m better than when he is stuck out on the wing.not as good as tiote but better than smithy.no rash tackles and better distribution

• ytz

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Abit rusty, but he will play an important role with Nolan and Tiote suspended.

• BiffBaffBoff

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I thought he was solid against Wolves, just kept things simple which is all you can ask for I think.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Good squad player who can do a job when needed

• geoff777

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Good player.
    No acceleration or pace but solid.
    Fantastic passing accuracy.
    Well worth keeping at the club.

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I’d personally sell him. Let’s face it, he isn’t going to be making the match-day squad most weeks. Next season’s first XI and formation will be very interesting, Pardew has confirmed HBA will play in the hole, so I’d assume a 4-4-1-1.

This in mind, there are going to be some difficult omissions to make from the starting line-up.

• Ciaran Thomas

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Class game on saturday,Cant wait for him this sunday.

• jackdnufc

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Been a while since I last posted. Been so busy with uni work that I had banned myself from the blog until now! Still not his biggest fan although I’ll support him all the way. Solid and simple against Wolves I thought but the next two teams are of a different calibre, with no disrespect to Wolves meant. If he can keep his head and give Barton/Jonas simple balls then he’ll do well I’m sure.

Nolan is a big loss for us, though. Need Shola and Loven to link up well in training to make up for his loss. Can’t see us getting lots of goals from the midfield without Kev.

HWTL!

• Davies

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I suppose it depends on the lad himself. If he wants to play first team regularly, he might as well look elsewhere, but if he’s happy to take the opportunities when he gets them, he’ll be worth keeping hold of. Remember, four or five years from now, he’ll be 27-28 and Nolan and Barton will be getting close to hanging up their boots.

He’s also very useful to have a round when injuries and suspensions kick in, as they do every season.

Personally, I think he’s decent enough at the moment and could well improve, if he plays regularly (remember, he was one of the stars of our Championship campaign), so maybe a loan for next season and see how he is after that?

• Davies

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Maybe we play Guthrie in Nolan’s spot on Sunday?

Doubtful, but he plays well as an attacker and he’s got a vicious shot on him.

Sadly, I think he’ll be playing DM as and Lovenkrands will be up front with Shola. I’m sure it’s all for the best.

• Bucks mag

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Good solid backup player. Rather him than R. Taylor and most people on here seem to want to keep him.

• toon18

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I’d like to see this team get a run out at some point before the end of the season.

————————Harper
    Simpson—-Tayl/Will—-Collo—-Enrique
    ——————Barton—–Tiote
    —-Gutierrez——-Ben Arfa—–Fergy/Ireland
    ——————–Ameobi/Best

• berToon

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:40 PM

people talking about getting rid of him great squad player to have its not all about the first eleven

• GeordieGerman

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Ed, these avatars are really awful. I keep thinking of kids, scissors and folded paper. Can’t we download our own? While I’m having a nag. I bet no one here has read my profile. Why not? Because there is no link. I got peed of with being called kraut and worse so I diligently filled out my profile. What a waste of 10 minutes that was.

Sorry all if this bugs any of you, but it bugs me having a profile that only I can read. I mean, I know about me.

• cyrus

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM

what? he is good? I can’t see any good performance by him last Saturday. Also, we can win because wolves played really bad.

• russtoon

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Hey Geordie zee german, is this site not about the toon army??lol

Anyway!, Guthrie is a good squad player, cant really see him doing anything that will set the world on fire but a strong player to keep hold of, kind o like Smithy but better and doesn’t talk with a strange accent lol

• cyrus

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Hi toon18, your formation is actually what I think!
    4-2-3-1
    Since our striker is not good, we should play 4-2-3-1, also because carroll is not here, we need not to play 4-4-2 anymore!

Gutierrez plays right attracting forward must better than left side! Also I don’t know why people praise Nolan so much, he can be top scorer mostly because of our poor strikers. Ben Arfa not only can score but also provide creativity to us! AMC should be him!

• cyrus

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM

(continue)
    also Barton &Tiote should play in pair because Tiote is not good at passing, while Barton can assist Tiote to pass ball to upfield.

• cyrus

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

This formation with a good striker must able to challenge top 7!

————————Harper
    Simpson—-Tayl/Will—-Collo—-Enrique
    ——————Barton—–Tiote
    —-Gutierrez——-Ben Arfa—–Fergy/Ireland
    ——————–a good striker

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

A loan would be a fair shout actually. Blackpool will be looking for a ball playing midfielder when Adam vacates, hand him to them for a season, see if Holloway can guide him up a notch, then hand him back to us. 🙂

• GeordieGerman

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

See russtoon, that is exactly what I mean. If you’d read my profile you wouldn’t have said zee German. To answer your question. “is this site not about the toon army??” As Toon fans it’s about us as well.

• JGreaves

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM

TEAM FOR VILLA

——————-Harps—————-

Simps——Willo—–Collo—–Jose

——————Guthrie————–

Jonas———–Barton———Ferguson

————Shola——–Loven———

Maybe with Saylor fitting in over one of the back 4, if enrique is injured id go for Saylor right back, simpson left back, dont think shane ferguson will be able to deal with Young/Downing at left back

• sonix

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

@cyrus: Danny really did ok when he play DM. You see he’s not good because who did all every attack was Barton and Nolan, but without Danny, they are nothing in this match.

Not strong as Tiote but he good at passing. That’s what we need for a backup DM.

• hainesy

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Off topic but talksport are suggesting we may move for Malaga ‘ star striker ‘ Jose Salomon Rondon . He is 21 with an average of a goal a game. Not too bad for a player stuck with a team 3points of the rock bottom of La Liga.
    any thoughts anyone?

• GeordieGerman

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

hainesy, would he be ok in the PL or would he need a season to adjust? Always a question/problem with Latin players.

• hainesy

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Its always one of those dilemma’s but you have to take a risk sometimes. At 21 and about 4-5million I would take the risk but as we witnessed with Wigan’s Boselli at the start of the season these decisions don’t always work.

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

hainsey – If true, he’ll have been comprehensively scouted. Just reading his wiki and various articles, he isn’t frail and seems to be handling the pressure of being the marksman to keep a team up.

Put it this way, Rondon has an almost identical scoring record this season, to V.Wolfswinkel (who everyone gushes about), he’s playing in a meaner league and at a relatively poorer club.

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Great read –

The only one I disagree with is AC.

I never realised Nobby’s goal tally was 45 in 200 games! From RM! What a player he was for us, I bet he had even more assists.

• beefman13

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM

tiote touched the ball 88 times in his previous outing, guthrie 6 folk talking about doing everything nice and easy you could of got a lad in from whitley bay and hewould do a better job, and if gutrie was just coming backfrom injury we should of played young richardson, yes i know we won 4-1 but5 his input in to the game was minimal to say the least, mentioned once in the second half from central midfield. thats hiding.

• Crawfordladd17

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

To be fair hainesy a goal machine with a bad team in one of the best league in the world, With Boselli played for one of the best team in a bad league and our team is better to supply etc

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM

good game from guthrie, a real good squad player that we need to keep. He can play multiple positions and as we are seeing now are squad is thin. Players like guthrie become real important when injuries hit, or if we get into europe you have to have a deep msquad which we dont. Really important we get our squad numbers up so we arent just throwing kids in to fill gaps like we are now in the future…hwtl

• Brutooon

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Guthrie is still a young lad, i hope he can play as good as maybe Alonso or Scholes. (with all those long passes and distribution)

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

beefman13 – hiding? You clearly were not at the game, Guthrie made a right nuisance of himself for Wolves, who mostly tried to play down the wings. If you are interested in statistics, compare Guthrie’s and Tiote’s pass completion rates on average. Tells a very different story doesn’t it? Statistics mean nothing, the only one that matters is the final score.