What Happened To Stephen Ireland On Saturday?

Now that we have the win Newcastle fans wanted to see last Saturday against Wolves, why wasn’t Stephen Ireland on the bench?

Stephen Ireland – still to play for Newcastle

Stephen doesn’t need reminding that he came to Newcastle on the same day Andy Carroll was sensationally sold to Liverpool for £35M.

Ireland was injured at the time with a knee injury, so Newcastle knew he wouldn’t be fit for a few weeks, and of course when he was fit to play, and ready to make his debut against Everton, he picked up a thigh injury, similar to what Joey Barton had at the time.

But it seemed like he had recovered from that injury, and Alan Pardew was talking about at least having him on the bench last Saturday, but of course Stephen hadn’t played a competitive game since December, and would hardly be match fit.

Maybe that was the reason Alan Pardew didn’t have him on the bench against Wolves, and another reason was he knew Stephen couldn’t play the following this Saturday against his club, Aston Villa.

Stephen Ireland hasn’t played one minute for Newcastle so far in his loan spell,  and it seems the injuries to the Irishman will hardly help his case for getting a contract at Newcastle in the summer, as he’s coming across as a little injury-prone, although that may be a little harsh on the 24 year-old.

But clubs sign players on loan so they can help them, just as Jamie O’Hara, as just one example, has helped Wolves big time since he went on loan to them in January from Spurs.

Stephen will presumably be available for the home game against Manchester United two weeks tonight, and at that time there will be only 6 games to play in the season, including  the Red Devils game.

It’s a good question as to whether Stephen will be able to do enough in those remaining games to convince Newcastle that he would make a good permanent signing in the summer.

The fee would probably be around £8M, since he has no future at Villa as long as Gerard Houllier is manager of the club.

I’ll run a poll asking readers whether Newcastle should sign Ireland in the summer, and let us know your opinion on this.

• Stuart

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM

No thanks, I’ve ran out of patience waiting for him to make an impact like.

Certainly not worth 8m considering he had a awful season with Villa and he hasnt even played for us yet.

There are better ways of spending our money IMO.

• Currytoon

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Remember we aren’t paying his wages until he plays. Why would we bring him on for 20 minutes and trigger paying his wages when he can’t play in the next game anyway.

• toonturtle

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM

At present we should stay well clear of him, unless he proves himself before the end of the season.

• Indian Magpie

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM

& Now He may Be ineligible for our nxt game.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM

He was in Town on the lash (well may not have been drinking) friday night AGAIN!! I jest you not.

Currytoon, we ARE paying half his wages!!
    That is a FACT!!

• Stuart

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Currytoon, probably because we want to see if he’s worth buying?

We didnt loan him just so he could have a little geordie holiday and hopefully we wouldnt have to pay him.

We loaned him to add some flair to the centre of our midfield.

So far he has added none, and has a hell of a lot to prove in 6 games if he wants to stay.

• oldbobaycliffe

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM

when lua lua and kader were injured while on loan they were sent back to us why don,t we send ireland back to aston villa if we were that desperate to have to play him surely it would be better playing one of the yougsters

• Indian Magpie

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Also AP has been banging abt him more than Joey. Ap must get his priorites right.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Indian Magpie, he IS inillegibl for our next game!!
    EPL rules state he cant play against the club who owns his contract!!

Lordy

• Stuart

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Well, unless it was in his loan contract that he can play against them Angryman, but teams very rarely add that clause and I highly doubt Villa would have.

• wynsleap

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I agree with Stuart.
    Although I think Ireland can be very good on his day I think we can do better with our £8 mill.
    Now if we could could get him for around £2-2.5 mill. that maybe a risk worth taking.

• Burni

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Angry man!!!!!! jeez!!! chill ya beans man!!!! we are not paying anything for Ireland until he starts playing for us all we are doing is allowing him to train with the squad and what if he was on the lash?!?!? you could have 2 broken legs and a broken arm and you could still go on the lash!!!

I cant wait to see him play coz he could become a very good player for the toon… only time will tell…..

• Stuart

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM

definately wynsleap,

As much as he hasnt done anything for us yet, for £2.5m he would be a steal.

Hes pretty much burned all his bridges with Villa aswell so they’ll want shot.

If we can pick him up as a bargain maybe, but nowhere near £8m.

• WWJBD

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Might be cheaper than 8 Million if villa go down….not out of the realm of possibility

• toonturtle

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Ireland for anything more than £4m is taking a huge risk. He is talented but has not performed for a while now. The fact he has not managed to play for us yet makes a transfer even more risky.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Burni,
    i have it on excellent authority, we ARE paying half his wages. I state again, FACT!!

Th eproblem with him being on the lash the night before a game is he has been warned once…..its against club rules, and yet he does the same again???

Very professional!!
    As I said when we signed him, waste of space……he has yet to prove me wrong!!

Hope he does though fella, Ive been saying that about Fat Maggott for 4 years now!! And he also is yet to prove me wrong ;-)!!

Anyway, after the weekends performance of 11 blokes willing to give blood for the black an white strip……he wouldnt get anywhere near the bench for me sonner!

Come on the toon!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Stuart,

Okay, I was convinced that it was against EPL rules, they changed it after the Lua Lua Debacle when he scored against his owner club for Portsmouth a few year back!! Maybe Im wrong?? Its not amongst the realms of possibility that i can be wrong once every few years 😉

• Stuart

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Yeah, im pretty sure its still allowed Angryman but only a really stupid club would put the clause in the loan contract for that very reason.

• Davies

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Where d’you hear that we’re paying half his wages, Angryman?

Shite deal if we are.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Agreed!!
    But the brummies arent the most inteeligent race on the planet are they???

😉

• Burni

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

fair point for both I guess angry

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I was talking to a bloke who USED to work at the club. You will know who he is, as will all true nufc fans. He is still connected but no longer employed.

Anyway, he told me a few things at a kids footbal match i was at a few weeks back and everything has been very accurate up to now so I have no reason to doubt him.

The other point of course is, not wanting to sound too condiscending, if you were a business owner and had an assett, and someone wanted to borrow it for half a year?? Would you let them have it for free, no matter how small it was??

Mmmmmm?? Food for thought really!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Look fellas, I have been following the toon for 28 years now, thick n thin and all that crap, and I have a very negative rep on here with most.

But we all want one thing here, is a successful footbal TEAM with players who want IT as much as us…..I dont suffer fools easily and YES I am pretty opinionated.

So maybe youll understand when I say I think a player is Taking the p!ss and the owner hasnt a clue….its only because I want the best for the BEST Footbal club in the world!!!

We have the support, fanbase whatever, to achieve that!!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

PS I am dyslexic aswell FACT!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Or should that be FUCT??? nevr can remember!

• daneevz

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM

EDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! we play A.Villa on Sunday!!! not Saturday or r my missing something??

• WWJBD

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Personally am still looking forward to seeing Ireland play in black and white but I doubt we will sign him up come summer unless we get a very good deal.

Am also very much looking forward to the Villa match, I hope R.Taylor comes in on the right, Barton moves into the centre and Guthrie keeps Tiotes spot warm. Bring on the weekend and another 3 points!!

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Talented player but this is getting frustrating, however if I were bringing a player back from injury, two teams I would not play him against would be Stoke and Wolves. So perhaps we can unleash him after the Villa game. If he does the business for the final 5 games what will the opinion of Ireland be.
    Keep the Faith

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

daneevz we play Villa on Sunday it’s on Sky

• ytz

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Hopefully this injury is lowering his value. If he is cheap, I don’t mind him in Newcastle. We need some depth in the squad anyway, and he is certainly versatile.

• Brutooon

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM

judge him after he kick the ball.

he is one of the league best playmaker 2 seasons ago…i can see him playing for us next season

• BeeGuy

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

So why is Ireland here? I think that he has mental problems that preclude him from returning to Villa.
    Newcastle pounced seeing little risk if he could not be made whole. My sense. with no evidence to prove it, is the problem is social not physical. It may be the bottle, or he may have an eating disorder. He appears to be slim to the point of resembling a model, which could imply he does not eat or does not keep his food down. Well, if he is dehydrated from drink, or intakes any calories, he is going to be unable to play football without his body failing from the rigors of practice or games.

• biznizmen

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM

If Joey sign a new contract, let Ireland go…

• Burni

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:12 PM

beeguy? aal reet pal, thats a really in depth analysis there bud, with no sound logic backing it up…..

• The Power Ranger

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM

He is injured yeah? People on her saying that he hasn’t proved himself yet? He is injured yeah?

• toonincheek

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Let’s not attach any blame to the man himself for the current situation. We knew he was injured and took a calculated risk. A further (minor) injury complicated matters – just one of those things.
    I’ve never been a big fan of S I, but then maybe I haven’t seen him enough to be a fair judge.
    One thing for sure – if he gets onto the pitch for us in the last few games of the season, he’ll be busting a gut to make an impression. Could be interesting.

• gorskino10

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM

He has some serious injury problems i mean they said he was only a few weeks off in Jan and now its April and still nothing, and we are going to pay real money for this guy? hope not he in injury prone and not even that good and for the reported 6+ Million we could do alot better.

• ddmacker

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I think that Stephen when he’s match fit would be an asset to NUFC and if he gets into the fine team spirit that seems to be abundant in the club at the moment. That’s two major IFs, so I don’t think the big ASH being the buisnessman he is, won’t take the chance. Thank God for small mercys what! I feel sorry for the kid and his problem is mental not phisical. I hope he finds a team that suits him (big city teams like Crystal Palace or Charlton) Howay The Lads!!

• ArtyH

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I am sure the astute business man we have as the owner he is in full knowledge of the situation and will use this as a lever to broker a much better deal if he signs for the toon. Personally I dont give a flying one if any of our players who are not playing at the weekend are out on the toon, FFS they are young males in prime condition after all….given their situation wouldnt you. The press have made far too much of this type of shite, any way its not as if S.I and Besty were pissed in some night club and fell of a bar stool and got injured is it????
    If we got S.I for £3-4m in the summer it would be a good deal IMHO.

• PennStateToon

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Cleverley played against man U this year. You are clearly allowed unless the club puts the clause in that says he’s not.