Leon Best Out For The Season – To Have Ankle Operation

There is bad news just released by the Newcastle club, that Leon Best will be out for the rest of the season with his ankle injury.

Leon Best – out for the season

Leon was to see a specialist yesterday, and it would appear that he has recommended an operation later this week in London, on his troublesome ankle.

This is what the Newcastle club issued on their site today:

Newcastle United can today confirm that Leon Best will undergo an operation on his injured ankle on Friday, and will be sidelined for the remainder of the season.

The 24-year-old striker has six goals to his name from just ten starts this campaign, but has missed the Magpies’ last two games with the complaint.

And after assessment by the Club’s medical staff, Best will travel to London later this week for an operation.

So that seems the end of Leon’s heroics this year in which he made 11 appearances for the Magpies and scored 6 goals, and stepped up to the plate once Andy Carroll left for Liverpool.

But Leon did a good job for Newcastle this year, there’s no doubt about that, and it’s just a pity he is out for the season, since he was showing good signs of improvement.

Leon Best has now shown he can score goals in the Premier League, and he will no doubt be pushing for a first team start come next season, that’s for sure.

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Not the news I wanted to hear, but I reckon Shola is up for hitting some form right about now. I would go with him and Ranger for the front pairing on Sunday. I think Ranger’s speed with give Shola the speed he needs, just hope we can get some ammo in for them from the midfield, where sadly suspensions are hitting us hard. If Jonas brings his crossing boots and Barton is wide right then we should be able to manage. Keep Guthrie in the holding role with Ireland (if fit / sane) along side him, and we should be all-right.

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

That should read ‘give Shola the space he needs’. Bad keyboard day.

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I THINK NUFC MUST GIVE RANGER A START GIVE THE LAD SOME TIME TO SCORE GOALS

• skutball1892

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

@G

Unfortunately Ireland can’t play against Villa with it being his parent club :/

So maybe the idea of moving Coloccini into CDM and S. Taylor in CB?

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

@skutball1892, that is a very good point. For some daft reason I still think of Ireland as a Citeh player. Oh well, barton inside next to Guthrie with RTaylor on the wing?

• mashearer

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

hopefully we win against villa and then pardew can giveour youngster like airey ranger or maybe that redhead boy some playing time

• skutball1892

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Couldn’t complain at that line-up.

R. Taylor definitely has the crossing ability on the right, I think that could be the most obvious change to make.

Just hope Simpson can keep Ashley Young at bay.

• Davies

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’d be more than happy if we stick with Shola and Lovenkrands and then bring Ranger on as an impact sub again. Remember, both strikers scored one and made one on Saturday.

• skutball1892

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Oh, nearly forgot, does anyone think Enrique will be playing?

God knows we’ll need him, I think Villa’s main attack comes from the wings (Young and Downing) so our full backs need to be as sharp as they can.

• Hawaiian Geordie

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

gutted for best, he’s been immense for us this year. get well soon lad

barton and guthrie in the middle, ryan taylor out on the right, where he looked great until getting sent off. taylor is a good crosser of the ball and should be able to ping some onto shola’s head.

i don’t think mcloven deserves to lose his spot to ranger just yet. he adds something different to the team and played a great game on saturday. he would be more than unlucky to be dropped on current form. that said, i would love to see ranger get at least 20 minutes, and kuqi to get at least 10, he’s looked like a bull for the few minutes of playing time he’s gotten (and he won a penalty that wasn’t given against bolton, could have won the game for us)

• Troy Stavers

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Aye aye radgies!
    Just got back oot of borstal.
    Pure liberty takers the bizzies like!
    What’s wrang wi nickin lead off school roofs like? Am saving the youngins gettin lead poisoning man!
    Anyways, am back livin wi me mother and Big Mick in Benwell.
    He’s owa the moon wi the result on Saturday like. He bought 3 nine bars of Pure Benwell black on Saturday neet.
    Totally chilled oot like.
    Owl Heed is still proper hyper like. He’s been listening to DJ G’s rave tapes aal weekend! Pure Cush dancer like Owl Heed!
    Anyways , got to nash, bizzies at the door!
    Toon Toon!

• boater

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Am I missing something here? Lovenkrands scored one and set up another, and you want to drop him?
    I accept his limitations over the course of the season, but we go into this with a threadbare squad and you all want to play rookie Ranger.

If Lovenk is injured or suspended then my bad. But Ranger!?!? I’m starting to think the boy has a cool name and that’s about it.

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Just to clarify my own points boater, I have nothing against PL, in fact I rate him highly. I simply feel ranger would work better with Shola as his movement breaks up defences well.

• aussietoonfan

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I’ve really got to say its a breath of fresh air to not have to read someone slagging off the manager or owner for a change. Every post is intelligently discussing the team and the upcoming game. Cheers and well done all!

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Just to add to my other comment, I also just have a feeling that we could be witnessing the creation of something special in NR. Couldn’t comment on the cool name bit though, me and cool haven’t been associated together for at least 20 years.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM

If Jose is fit, Jonas on the right and Fergie on the left?

• skutball1892

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I think once Ranger gets his first PL goal he’ll be class, he’s got one of the best first touches i’ve seen and can definitely strike a ball well…just not in the net, yet anyway.

But with Lovenkrands, he’s a really intelligent player, he makes the right runs and gets into space really well.

I definitely agree about Ranger needing more game time though…

• mrmcgee

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Did any of you actually go to the match on saturday? or any match at all this season?????

Dont get me wrong, McLoven tries his hardest every game, and makes runs non-stop, but i must say, he is one of the most inneffectual strikers in the Premier League.

I think he is a great person and a great professional, but at this level, he doesnt threaten with his movement, pace, skill, heading ability or shooting. all key things for a striker.

There was countless times he should have been on the end of ameobi’s flickons on saturday and he wasnt even a couple of yards off, he was 6 or 7 yards away. He has not been anticipating anything, just reacting, too late.

Yeah he got an assist and a goal, well done to him, but to be honest, he is a professional player who SHOULD be able to cross a ball 20 yards to the back post from within the box. And for the goal, it was made by Colo, who stretched the defence by playing a peach of a through ball through to Barton, who made a terrific run, and PL was left unmarked for what seemed an eternity to tap in from 8 yards.

However, PL spends most games chasing the back four down, but is so ineffectual, i would have no issues throwing young Nile in from the start. At least he gets at people, anticipates runs, and uses his strength when protecting the ball. He needs to break his duck sooner rather than later, but its difficult to do when your given 10 mins here and 15 mins there.

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM

mrmcgee, I go to all home games, and as many away games as finances allow, and I think you are being a bit harsh on PL. There have been instances where your descriptions are bang on the mark, but I have also seen the opposite become true on many occasions. I think PL’s main problem is consistency of quality. When he is good, he is really good, but sometimes, his reactions of the body do seem a few seconds behind his brain.

• boater

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM

@McGee- “I see it as a no brainer, theres no risk at all. What do we have to lose by dropping PL?”

He scores goals and Ranger doesn’t? Happy for Ranger to come off the bench to continue his development – if he starts scoring great, he will play his way into starting line-up.

• mrmcgee

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

@G
    I understand where you are coming from, and maybe i am being too harsh on him, but it stems from my annoyance that we do not have the quality up front we require. Like i said its nothing personal against him, he is a decent squad player, but i would certainly not ‘rate him highly’ as you said in an earlier post. He is a championship player, which he proved last season. We owe him a lot as he found his level last year and did well.

@boater – PL scores goals? In 18 prem games this season he has scored 4. Only 1 of those 4 has been from a substitute appearance. So thats 1 goal every 4.5 games….

Its not that he scores and ranger doesnt, he plays and ranger doesnt.

Trust me, i used to go to every reserve game, this kid is unreal when confidence is high. He needs to sort his head out though, it would be a shame to throw away all that talent.

• Brutooon

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM

bad news but on a positive note Ranger will get more chances to prove himseld