Newcastle After Emmanuel Adebayor?

We watched Emmanuel Adebayor score two good goals in Real Madrid’s 4-0 win over Tottenham last night,   in the quarter final first leg of the European Champions League.

Emmanuel Adebayor – in action last night against Spurs

Peter Crouch was sent off after only 15 minutes for two reckless tackles, and that completely changed the game.

Adebayor – who is younger than we thought, having just turned 27 in February, is said to be keen to return to the English Premier League.

This is what the 38 times capped Tonga International said:

“I have been playing in England for five years, I had the chance to play in France for a couple of years, so it is a good time for me to play in Spain,”

“If I have the chance to go back to England one day, why not? I will never throw England away. I love the football, I love the atmosphere.”

‘But don’t get me wrong, I am very happy where I am, the future will show where I go but for now I am just happy to be on the football pitch again, playing football.”

That doesn’t sound to us like a player desperate to return to England, and of course Real Madrid will have first refusal on the player, and we don’t know if Jose Mourinho will want to make the deal permanent in the summer.

But the Tongan played very well last night, and Jose Mourinho seems to have rekindled the spirit in the player, since he seemed lively all night, before being replaced by Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain, who is coming back from injury.

It’s not surprising that the the former Arsenal striker wants regular first team football, after having a bad time of things at Manchester City, but whether Newcastle would be a good place for the player to move to, is a good question.

We would have thought that Emmanuel would want European Football, because he has always had that at Arsenal, and could be playing in the final of the European Champions League this season, and presumably at the very least – the semi-final of that tournament.

We don’t think there is much truth in this report, but he’s an interesting player to be sure, and he could score the goals at Newcastle, and even wear the number 9 shirt.

His record is very good, and he has played for Metz, Monaco, Arsenal, Manchester City and Real Madrid on loan, and in 344 total club appearances he has 121 goals.

While at Arsenal the 6’4″ striker played 143 games with 62 goals in the Premier League.

It’s clear that Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini will want to unload him this summer, plus a number of other players,  to get the massive wage bill reduced at the Eastlands’ club.

When we first saw the report about Adebayor, we thought he’d be too old, but that’s not really true, but he will certainly be expensive at £18M, and he’s the finished article rather than a younger player who can still improve.

His wage demands could also be sky high, but it’s an interesting report nevertheless.

What do you think about this?

• toonarmy1986

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Why don’t you leave it to the media to stir up all these transfer stories which clearly have no truth in them. It happens every year we get linked with a million players and blogs like this just encourage them to continue. If you have nothing worthwhile posting about then post nothing instead of stirring up stories all the time.

• ronaldeano

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM

He’s a good player but I don’t like his attitude.. He thinks he’s the dogs bollocks! He’s an aarsehole!

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Good player, excellent striker, disaster of a human being. A media explosion waiting to happen.

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM

toonarmy1986, Ed makes the same point in his story, so might be worth reading properly before posting, and likewise, if all you can be bothered to do is cut and paste from an earlier thread, you might want to take a leaf from your own book.

• ronaldeano

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Well said G!

• Stuart

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Toonarmy, you dont have to read what Ed posts so dont complain.

At the end of the day this is Ed’s blog and he can write what he wants. He just gathers all the news on the club and posts it here.

I enjoy reading about the players we’re supposed to be linked with, its good fun speculating!

As for Adebayor, if he came (which is very unlikely) he’d be one hell of a goalscorer, but I’m not sure on his attitude like, may have the potential to rock the boat abit in the changing room.

• jarra geordie

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

One side of my brain is telling me stay well clear as alot have already mentioned about his attitude….but the other half is wondering how well he could do a job for us and potentialy help the development of our younger strikers like Ranger. Newcastle have had a record of wanting
    marquee sighings but it hasnt always worked out as hoped. Maybe he would be a bit too muchof a risk. Im sure there are other options with less baggage

• Magpie_Ranger86

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

There is no way Adebayor would ever come to Newcastle, the source for this is the free Metro newspaper this morning, as Ed has stated he will want European football and on top of that I honestly don’t think Mike Ashley will spend the reported £18million in the whole summer transfer market never mind on 1 player. Also, Adebayor is on a reported £140k a week, there is no way we could afford that or I would even want Newcastle to pay that much for 1 player. That’s one good thing Ashley has brought a stop to, paying over-inflated transfer fees and wages for players just looking for their last big pay day at the town. Thats is exactly what Adebayor would be after if he even wanting to sign for us and i’m afraid he’s won’t get that at Newcastle (Hopefully!) He’s a decent player (when he wants to be) but his attitude would like Stuart says “have the potential to rock the boat” which is also not what we want

• G

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

jarra geordie, I hear where you’re coming from, after all, he is a proven prem striker, who has played for some top clubs, however, he always leaves them under a cloud of controversy. I would like the player, I just don’t want the rest of the circus that comes with him.

• geoff777

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

All this speculation about strikers and the puppet Pardew will sign Carlton Cole.

• Stuart

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM

F**k off being miserable man Geoff, no-one needs it.

You’re just determined to wish the worst on the club.

• pearceet

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

• geoff777

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

@Stuart

What a delightful person you must be.

I have my views and I won’t be bullied by you into stopping posting.

Supporting the players in b&w is one of my biggest passions.

I don’t like the owner, managing director or manager.
    I believe we’d be better off without them.

• Davies

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Well we’re stuck with them, Geoff, and all the negativity in the world won’t change that. I agree, mind; we’re all entitled to our opinions.

I think the owner’s doing alright, barring a few stupid mistakes, but he’s still learning.

Chin up, fella. We might actually survive the season and get some good players in the summer.

We’ve already got good news in Ben Arfa’s return.

• nyctoon

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

not happening. I think hes a great talent but to be honest his attitude leaves much to be desired not to mention the fee+wages he would require. a much better, younger striker would be lacina traore @ 6’8 the ivorian would fit nicely in the squad. HWTL

• elpaso_geordie

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Geoff is bang on in my opinion,
    All you fans who complain about negativity etc , where have you been the last few years eh – this board has been negative from day 1 of the takeover man????
    You will be the same ones coming back on in the summer want Ashley out for not spending and Pardew for buying shit like Carlton Cole. deluded

• elpaso_geordie

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Regarding above i mean board as Ashley Llambias etc

• Australians love the Toon

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think Harry Kewell would be a good option up front or to come off the bench. He would be a cheap buy, wants to win for the fans, has passion and is off contract soon. He is a true player of the game and is not swayed by money. I may be a bit biased thou lol as i would love to see a aussie in a toon jersey 🙂

• Vandinhio

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

No way will this happen due to that fact of our wage structure wont allow it also don’t think i would want him here due to the fact we have a good atmosphere around the club and he would totally disrupt it, i personally would love to see Kevin Doyle here his attitude and work rate is second to none and with the quality we have in our team would totally complement him to be a 15 goal a season striker

• newca

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

how much does he cost? i would say 20Mio. +

i dont think we could buy him

• Robbanufc

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM

To Australians love the Toon: I dont really think Harry Kewell would be much welcome back in England after leaving Leeds, to join Galatasaray, a club whose fans killed some Leeds supporters years back. Its just not right to join them. Harry is at least one of the most hated players in Leeds, and one of the players in the game that I personally respect the least. And he is waaaay too old.

• The Power Ranger

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

come off it!

• BarcelonaMag

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

He’s from Togo, not Tonga!!

• Crawfordladd17

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

How can he get a game for real and not city

• Brutooon

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM

i) High Wages
    ii) Attitude Problem
    iii) He is suit to a “top 4” club

• nickynufc

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM

first post after a long time reading.
    australians love the toon: wait for brad inman to come through? i know he might switch alleigiance to scotland and im not sure how good a prospect he actually is, but everyone apart from socceroos supporters knows that kewell has been rubbish for ages.
    im australian, and i cringe at the one -eyed support of the national team and its mediocre “heroes”.
    thank bobby i always had the toon, for better and worse (and disappointment’s all the worse when youre watching at 3am). HOWTL.