Barton – If Nolan Signs New Magpies Contract, I Will Too

Joey Barton has given a controversial interview today, with the French magazine So Foot.

Get these two Liverpudlians signed up – and be quick about it!

Joey talks about things at Newcastle, and that he was upset by Andy Carroll’s £35M transfer to Liverpool in January, and even though the club have told him it was a “one off”, Joey is not so sure.

This is what the 28 year-old told the French magazine:

“I told them the goal shouldn’t be just to survive, to finish 16th or 17th, every season.” “We had a good player, Carroll, and we sold him. I told the management that I was worried.”

“I was scared this might happen every year, but they assured me they don’t want to go down that road. I don’t know if I believe them.” “I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend.”

“But I’m going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and Jose Enrique stay.”   ‘If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up.”

“I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire.”

There’s been talk recently about Alan Pardew trying to get captain Kevin Nolan to pen a new long-term deal at Newcastle, to keep him on Tyneside, over say the next 5 years, until he’s 33 years old.

And it seems that’s all it will take for Joey Barton to also sign along the dotted line, which just has to be good news.

It would have been a little more difficult if the player had been Jose Enrique instead of Kevin, because it’s much less clear if the Spaniard will stay this summer, but we hope he does.

But Kevin Nolan waxes lyrical all the time about everything Newcastle, and he has great leadership qualities too.

So it seems he will almost certainly sign along the dotted line, especially if  it means offering some assurances to other top players to stay at the club.

Kevin Nolan was born to play for a team like Newcastle United, and he could be a key in getting Joey to sign too, but Newcastle must offer him a top contract.

But it seems the club did that with Cheick Tiote, who got a massive six and a half year deal at £50K/week to stay on Tyneside, after Chelsea had come after the Ivory Coast  International in late January.

This has to be some good news for Newcastle fans today.

• laurentrobert32

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM

jose isnt french…..

• geordie-macky

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

lol Frenchman!!
    “It would have been a little more difficult if the player had been Jose Enrique instead of Kevin, because it’s much less clear if the Frenchman will stay this summer. but we hope he does.”

• Ed Harrison

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Whoops – another senior moment – sorry about that.

• Brisvegas

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Spoke today? And they have it in the magazine already?

• Toontappy

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

French Spainish whatever,lets just hope he signs a new deal we get the right players in the summer and kick on,just want to say though the squad this year have really stepped up,i think we all would have taken 9th with 7 games to go.HWTL.

• textbook.ie

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM

sounds promising too me. hope nolan doesnt want a massive wage, because of his savage form. 2 of our best, if not the best two players. joey isnt making any friends in the english squad if he wants a recall everyone will hate him, ha go on joey you tell them how you see it!!!!

• craig bell

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM

jesus christ its plain and simple pardew! sign them up now!!!

• MacToon

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:22 PM

“I don’t know if I believe them.”

If the players find it difficult to believe them then there is certainly something wrong in NUFC’s management!

• textbook.ie

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:22 PM

P.s. there the two proudest lads on the pitch, there really loving football, love it!!

• Addy1892

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I’ve read a few quotes from this interview and there’s something about it doesn’t seem right, I’m not convinced it’s genuine.
    There’s a section where he openly criticises Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard and the whole England set up. Joey Barton of late has kept his head down, I just dont buy that he’d give such a controversial interview when he would know the attention it would attract.

• toonturtle

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM

My mrs was at a charity dinner where Joey Barton was the speaker, he was openly critical of most things!!! He “tells it like it is”.

• terencelim

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Can’t blame him at all as he just talk about his true feeling. In fact I have a thought that many players are thinking the same question: Is this club ambitious enough for me to stay?

It isn’t always about the money. I’ve seen so many players every year out there signing contract with ambitious clubs rather than another club which pays more wages but show less ambition or a manager with less competency.

Like I said again and again, it’s not about who wants to stay, but it’s about attracting the good one to stay, which the club failed miserably on the young local lad Andy Carroll.

• Addy1892

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I’m sure he’s very critical, but I’m suprised if he’s been this critical in a media interview. Talk in events are so popular because Players speak their minds knowing that it’s mainly off the record.
    This may well be genuine, what do I know?! I just find it concerning that Barton would want to be so openly critical of not only the club, but also want to start a war of words with fellow pro’s.
    I just watched a video interview on NUFC.co.uk with Barton after the Arsenal game, if you get the chance have a quick look. He talks about wanting to get his contract signed straight away because if he’s seen to stall then others might follow suit. There’s obviously been a significant change in his thinking since then & you have to wonder what the cause is.

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM

JUST SIGN 3 OF THEM NOW

• Davies

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I think we kind of always knew that there was going to be some difficulty after we sold Carroll, but it seems like Barton and Nolan, at the very least, will sign extensions in the coming months Good news. Let’s hope a little of this willingness to see what happens with the club rubs off on Enrique as well.

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

JUST GIVE 3 OF THEM A NICE Contract CAUSE THEY HAVE EARNED IT BECAUSE THEY NEVER LET US DOWN WHEN WE WERE RELEGATED THEY DESERVE IT

• Carl92

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM

these are the words of joey Barton at the talk in, a lot of his comments were said in jest.

On his contract –
    I can honestly tell you I want to stop here, I know you hear this all the
    time, but I generally so, whether you believe me or not…. The idiots who
    run the club keep moving the goalposts, they have offered me to take a pay
    cut – I’m nobodies mug and the idiots who run the show haven’t got a clue..
    If I don’t get what I want I will still stop here and let my contract run
    down, love it here, and Alan Pardew is working his b*ll*cks off to get me
    the deal I want.

On Pardew –
    He is a cracking bloke and a great manager and coach, I hope the fans can
    give him time and see what he can do, people think he’s Ashley puppet, I
    can tell you he most defiantly isn’t anyone puppet and he isn’t scared to
    stand up to anyone at the club, I love working with him.

On Shearer –
    I have a hell of a lot of respect for the man as a player, he was great,
    but mmm we don’t get on, we never will, I was recently out with a few of
    the lads and he was there, we didn’t say a word to each other all night,
    just a wink and a nod.. Fantastic player but wasn’t so good as a manager…
    when I was at Man City Robbie Fowler was my role model – haha.. He was a
    great player too, never scored as many penalties as Shearer though…. Ha.

On That bust up at Anfield.
    We were 3-0 down and I f*cking hate that Alonso, I hate the c*nt… so I
    thought right, here we go… it was a very bad tackle and a very bad thing to
    do, I know that.. When I was in the dressing room Shearer stormed in after
    the game pointing the finger and shouting you are a coward! Nobody calls me
    a coward, if he had attacked me with regards to my football I would of
    accepted my b*ll*cking, but he attacked me personally, I can tell you know
    if anyone in here want to call me a coward I will take you into the car
    park here and now, nobody calls me that.. Anyway yes there was a bit argy
    bargy and we haven’t got on since.

Who is your most hated current Player –
    At the moment Carl Henry at wolves, what he done down there early in the
    season, I wished I had digged him like I did Pederson the other month, I
    really do… I know Mick McCarthy had told him to try and get me sent off,
    anyway I kept calling him Chris, and pretending not to know who he was
    after the game to wind him up.

Who is the hardest player you have played with.
    Richard Dunn – I can tell you, no doubt about it, it was one of the biggest
    mismatches going, but yes I started on him and he gave me a right hiding,
    lets say I wouldn’t start on him again.

Who else do you hate-
    Any journalists in tonight?… “yes”… I hate you c*nts as well, hate you.

What’s your biggest highlight of your career so far –
    Winning the championship last year, I know I didn’t play many games and I
    hate it when players play 12 games or so and pick up a medal, it p!sses me
    right off, but yes, I enjoyed, it was great.

On that 5-1 against mackems –
    Unbelievable, an amazing day that will stop with me for the rest of my
    life.

On Nile Ranger –
    I can tell you he is the thickest man I have ever met in my life, he hasn’t
    got a single brain cell, dopey as hell.

On Enrique, will he stop –
    I’m stopping, that’s all that matters to me, if he wants to go, go.. I’m
    not bothered.. He is the most vainest man I have ever met, honestly he is
    terrible, he cannot walk past a mirror with out checking himself out, I
    don’t know why, he’s an ugly Spanish c*nt anyway.

What happened after that heavy defeat at Leyton orient pre- season –
    We got hammered 6-0, after the game we spoke about what we need to do to
    get this club back up in the premier league and who is up for the battle,
    I’m not going to name names here, but some didn’t want to be here and
    couldn’t care less, I want tell you who they are… “come on Joey, we want
    names”.. Hmmm, okay right, I will tell you 2 of them, 2 names only, that
    f*cking Bassong and f*cking Martins, disgrace they are, total disgrace…
    anyway, the next morning after the match, me and a few of the lads
    confronted those who didn’t want to be there and, well, I basically told
    them to p!ss off out of this club and never to come back.

On Stoke 4-0-
    I thought we were the better football team, but we got stuffed 4-0.. It
    happens.

On this side now –
    Look, I believe we are a good football team, get behind us, we will be
    alright..

On Andy Carroll –
    £35 million, I would of sold him as well, no doubt about it.

Finishing off –
    When I speak, I speak my mind and tell the truth, I hope all of you here
    can believe everything I have said tonight as I don’t talk sh!t and tell
    things how they are.

• toonturtle

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM

@Andy1892, you make a good point there – “I’m suprised if he’s been this critical in a media interview”. I hadn’t really considered that, and as you have pointed out, he seems to be stalling on signing. I just hope that Nolan signs up and then Barton and Enrique follow suit! It would be great to have our best players tied down for the next few years.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Addy – since the Arsenal game Jose has made it very clear to his team mates that he is off in the summer, hence Joey deliberately allying himself with Nolan’s contract situation, as he already knows that Jose is a gonner.

• rwpoynter

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

If this statement is true , and it might be,then I can fully see where Joey is coming from. He doesn’t want to sign a contract and suddenly find his best team mates are on the move. He is playing better now than ever and, OK, he has had a murky past, but let’s put that behind him now. The team could well finish considerably higher than most fans thought, for a first season back in the EPL. We need to build on that with good summer signings and the likes of Ben Arfa and Gosling back. Mike Ashley may well agree with this and the sooner he gets the club into the state of a highly competitive and ambitious one, the sooner he will get his money back. Personally, I don’t think Carroll was worth anything like £35m, but it is the drop in moral it has had on the playing staff that is the problem. Were Mike Ashley to come out from his closet and say what he wants for NUFC and mean it, I hardly think he would be letting any cats out of the bag. On this issue he seems to be his own worst enemy. You never know Mike, even the Geordie faithful might start to like you!
    As for Barton’s comments on the FA, they probably won’t make him any friends there, but he is only echoing what 90% of football fans in England think anyway.

• shearermania

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Asbo was partially responsible for our relegation for the reckless tackle on alonso and the 3 match ban…..
    he should know he still ows us – we carried him when nobody wanted him when he was on porridge in jail for assault….
    hes been great this season but isnt about time we get a bit in return….the boy is trouble has and will always be….we were loyal to him – now its time hes showing a bit of humility and sign on the dotted line

• shearermania

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM

hes been great this season but isnt about time we get a bit in return….the boy is trouble has and will always be….we were loyal to him – now its time hes owns up and sign on the dotted line

• gorskino10

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Losing Andy is different we were offered massive money, but to lose arguably the next best players for pennies isnt worth it, Barton has been joint our best player with Tiote, Nolan still has some fitness issues but once we get a target man or someone start feeding him like Ameobi did then he will get tones of goals, from a midfielder to be the 3/4th leading top scorer in the EPL is an amazing feat. and Jose has been a consistant LB probs one of the best this season and last season was by far the best Championship player, If we SIGN all 3 of these up this shows we mean buisness for next season, add to this with the coming back of Arfa,Gosling and new signings like a new Winger/Striker then it will be a posistive summer, i just hope we dont get rid of them all a replace em with worse players.

• boater

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I went from being gutted Carroll left, to resigned, to actually being relieved… having seen him for Liverpool and their awful long ball torpedoes.

Barton did say earlier in the season he wasn’t going to hold the club to ransom over a contract – and get it done ASAP. So he’s backtracked on those comments. Still desperately hope he signs on, with the players we have plus 1 or 2 match-winning signings, then 2 or 3 technical, talented younguns – we could be a real force next season.

• ONLINE GUY

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Wish you lot, or at least a small minority, would stop picking Wor Ed up on the occasional gaffe

He’s created a good community for us here .

Lets thank him for what he does. It takes a lot of time and dedication… I know …So from this early riser, thank you Sir .

Prediction for Sunday…Villa 2 V 2 Newcastle