Ryan Taylor Could Play Major Role At Villa Park

With Ryan Taylor having served his three match ban for his sending off against Bolton, the 26 year-old could play a major role for Newcastle at Villa Park this Sunday.

Ryan Taylor – his reaction to being sent off against Bolton

Kevin Nolan is hardly ever injured as witnessed by his playing 77 games with 30 goals in the last two seasons,  but his absence on Sunday provides an opportunity for somebody to come in for Kevin, and show what they can do.

Peter Lovenkrands talked about having to cope without Kevin this Sunday against Aston Villa:

“We’re going to have to cope without Kevin and Cheick at the weekend, but what’s new? We’ve been stretched all the time.”

“We’re going to have to deal with it, they are two massive players for us. Kevin is our leading goalscorer and he leads by example. But we’ve got players who can step in and cover, we’ve shown that all season.”

“We lost a big player in January in Andy Carroll, but the strikers have managed to cover for that loss.”

“You need to have a squad if you’re going to compete in this league and regardless of who is in the starting line-up at Villa, we’ll compete that’s for sure.”

Peter makes a very good point in that Kevin and Cheick’s absence gives an opportunity to other players to come in and shine for the Magpies.

When you are a squad player and on the fringes of starting for the first team, these kinds of opportunities are what it’s all about in a season.

And with Ryan Taylor finally  back from his three match ban, and having been out most of the season with an injured ankle, he will be very keen to show Alan Pardew just what he can do.

Indeed, against Bolton, Ryan took over on the right wing from the injured Joey Barton and took the free kicks and corners, and did very well, and it could be he will play out there on Saturday.

Joey Barton will captain the side, but we wonder if Alan Pardew will give the central midfield position to Joey, in Kevin Nolan’s absence?

Danny Guthrie will keep his place in defensive midfield for the suspended Cheick Tiote, ad the 23 year-old gave a good professional performance on Saturday, and played the easy ball all the time – which is what good players do.

We are also hoping that Jose Enrique will be able to return from his hamstring injury, so this is a decent side that Pardew could play on Sunday at Villa Park:

Harper
Simpson Coloccini Williamson Enrique
Taylor (R) Barton (c) Guthrie Gutierrez
Ameobi Lovenkrands

That looks a decent side, and of course Ryan Taylor has shown he can score some goals from free kicks, so he will add a goal threat to the side, which is good.

Once Newcastle attain safety, which could even be this Sunday with a win, we would hope that Pardew will give some of the youngsters a chance – like give Nile Ranger a start, and also more playing time for young Shane Ferguson, once he recovers from his thigh injury.

Things are looking quite good for Newcastle at the moment, but we must take something out of the game at Villa Park on Sunday.

• NufcGlen

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I highly rate Raylor and I think he can get the job done against villa.

• WWJBD

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Raylor is a great player to have around and he should be able to help us to another 3 points against villa

• geoff777

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Not a bad side.

Like Saturday I hope we don’t get any injuries to midfield players as the bench will be very weak.

I think we can get at least a point.
    Possibly all three.
    Villa are not playing well.
    Love to beat them and help send them down!

HWTL

• jarra geordie

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I want to beat the Villa and see them relegated this season along with Blackburn and Wolves. Unfortunatly it looks as though Holloway will be going down but im sure alot of people like the man and the style his team play. Wolves on the other hand play anti-football and deserve to go down.
    3 points at the weekend HWTL

• Davies

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Raylor’s taken a while to bed in with this team, in my opinion. He’s given some decidedly average performances, but there have been one or two games where he’s been on fire. The few games he’s played this season, he’s looked the best he ever has for us and he’s shown that he’s got some good goals in him. Hopefully, he’ll be up for the scrap on Sunday and we’ll give VIlla the ROYAL DICKING I feel they deserve.

• ganiyu

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Is waiting for the return of king arfa

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I would still play Steve Taylor before Williamson he’s a much better centreback

• Selbymag

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

If enrique is fit then I would like to see Fergie on left with Jonas right side and Danny and Joey central.
    I know this breaks up the 2 latinos down the left but I reckon Jose would provide good support and encouragement for Shane.

• G

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Geordiedoonsooth, me and you are in the minority then. I also rate STaylor more so than Williamson, but in his favour, Williamson does seem to have a great partnership going with Collo. STaylor still gets crucified for mistakes he made 3 or 4 years ago.

• WWJBD

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I rate Saylor highly aswell but I would still have Williamson and Collo together for the big games because they have a great understanding

Come next season Saylor will be ahead of Williamson I expect but for now, with a small number of games left, I’d stick with the Willo Collo partnership and Saylor coming in when we are a couple of goals ahead

• Selbymag

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Im with you on Stevie Taylor, WIllo whilst steady is petrified of receiving a ball to feet.
    If he cant get it to Colo straight away he panics and just shifts it as far as possible.
    not good enough at this level.

• ganiyu

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I rily miss alan smith in the first team.i hope he signs a new 4yr deal

• JohnnyBrookes

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Anyone going? I got my tickets yesterday, my only return there since 2009 and I am fully up for some revenge on the banner brigade!

• Bucks mag

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

It’s the best we have to play, but that midfield is awfully pedestrian. No pace at all in the side bar Gutierrez/Enrique, and Jose is touch and go.

Despite that I’ve got a really strong conviction we’re going to win, I can just feel it.

• ytz

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Hopefully we won’t be facing more injuries. Our squad is paper thin now. The sub bench against Villa will be very short of quality.

• Billy1985

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

people that say they want s taylor to play instead of williamson needs to get a grip. he isnt scared of getting the ball to feet at all have you been watching the games? him and col have been amazing this season. everybody thought colo was crap when he first came but he has proved people wrong. people say s taylor should play cause he is a local lad but he isnt he is from london i prefer williamson cause he wants to play s taylor only signed a contract for more money even though he was out for most of last season so taylor should sit on the bench for me or get someone in that wants to play not wants to get paid. williamson all the way

• BeeGuy

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

If Willo is out of the line-up because of Taylor, NUFC will have 4 attacking defenders on the pitch. Willo has been mostly the “stay back” guy and chips in to help cover as Simmo’s still confounded on occasion. I think Newcastle needs his height on the back line as well as the chance he will get onto a Barton corner kick and score. For those reasons, I’d keep Willo in the line-up at Villa.

• Burni

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

billy1985,

taylor may have been born elsewhere but he has been raised in the North East. My friends only claim to fame was playing against him when he was a striker for whitley bay high 🙂 I prefer Willo an collo cb’s coz like most are saying, they seem to understand each other better. tho I feel comforatble when Saylor comes on……. just not campbell

I think Raylor is MUCH better than people give him credit for, I just hope pardew tells him to chill coz we cant have someone sent off again….

• nufcburty

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM

get him on.. he’s had about 5weeks of cause of his suspension which means 5 weeks of getting fully fit and will be more then eager to be playing!

• max

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM

support him much..

• Billy1985

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

bruni i played against him when i was at school but that doesnt mean nowt…..all im saying is most fans want taylor cause he is a geordie but he isnt. not saying he is crap just saying i prefer williamson cause he just wants to play football and not crying over wage demands

• Burni

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Billy to an extent i agree but…. Ur comment regarding him not being a Geordie isn’t valid! It’s like saying that’s shola isn’t coz he was born in nigeria mate!

Like i said tho bud, I agree I’d much rather have willo and colo in central defence coz they are better together than a combo of Taylor and either of them