Aston Villa vs Newcastle – Match Preview

If Newcastle can win this game against Aston Villa tomorrow they will secure their safety in the Premier League, which is this season’s number one goal.

And the Magpies are once again playing one of the sides in danger of being relegated, with Aston Villa currently 5 points behind Newcastle in the league table.

It’s certainly a surprise that Aston Villa are so low in the table, since they qualified for Europe last season in 6th position.

But for all the many good players they have in their side, the truth is they have been immensely unsettled by new manager Gerard Houllier, and all is not well at the club.

If everything was OK, there’s now way they would be where they are in the league, surely.

It seems that the Frenchman  has managed, with some success,  to upset many of the senior players at the Villa club, since he arrived in early September last year.

And whatever they may all be saying before tomorrow’s game, their team spirit may well be questionable.

And that’s one reason Newcastle will have a decent chance of picking up some points tomorrow, but the very last thing we want to see is another defeat against a team below Newcastle in the league.

It would be great if Newcastle could get the first goal tomorrow, but the Magpies will need to be wary of some of Aston Villa’s players, some of which who are top of the bunch.

Newcastle have Cheick Tiote, captain Kevin Nolan and James Perch all suspended for this game.

And Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling, Alan Smith and Leon Best are all out injured, and Stephen Ireland still cannot make his debut for the club, because he cannot play against his current club side.

The good news is that midfielder Ryan Taylor is back, after serving his three match ban for his sending off against  Bolton, and we even expect Ryan to get a start tomorrow.

Joey Barton will captain the side, and we expect Alan Pardew to move the influential player into central midfield for tomorrow’s game, in place of the suspended captain, Kevin Nolan.

And we expect Ryan Taylor to get a start out on the right wing – which is probably his best position –  although manager Alan Pardew may find a position on one of the wings for young Irishman Shane Ferguson, who has looked very good in the last two games.

Danny Guthrie will also keep his place, deputizing for the suspended Cheick Tiote, after having a solid and uncomplicated game in  defensive midfield last Saturday against Wolves, in the 4-1 victory.

Assuming Jose Enrique has recovered from his hamstring strain, this is the side we expect Alan Pardew to field for tomorrow’s important game:

Harper
Simpson Coloccini Williamson Enrique
Taylor (r) Barton (c) Guthrie Gutierrez
Ameobi Lovenkrands
Subs: Krul Campbell Tavernier Taylor (S) Ranger Ferguson Airey

This will be the first time Newcastle have visited Villa Park since the side were relegated back on May 24th two years ago,  when the lads were beaten 1-0, and needed an equalizer in that second half to stay up.

But it was not to be,  and the side lacked fight and passion, even though the game was so important for the Newcastle United club.

It will be a big chance for 10 of those players who were involved two years ago, to pay the Newcastle fans back, for that absolutely pathetic display of guts and courage.

And at the very least, we expect to see the lads in black and white stripes play their hearts out tomorrow.

It will take a good performance from Aston Villa tomorrow, for them to get the better of a Newcastle side, who will want to do well in this particular game and will have lots of motivation to win the game.

Aston Villa certainly have the players, but they wouldn’t be 5th bottom of the league at the moment, with just 1 point from their last three games, if they were playing well as a team, and football is a team game.

We have to hope that record is not improved too much after tomorrow’s game ends.

A draw would be a good result for Newcastle,  and take them to 40 points on the season, and a win would be fantastic, and herald almost certain safety for the club this season.

And if Newcastle do secure their safety tomorrow afternoon with a win, some irony will not be missed on Newcastle fans,  since the club were relegated there the last time they visited Villa Park.

Howay The Lads!!

• boater

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:03 PM

1st goal wins it tomorrow. It’s a battle of wits. Really hope we cab get another one over that horrible villa lot.

• CheickTiote

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM

For everyone looking for a stream to watch the game online tomorrow, I strongly recommend you download Sopcast if you haven’t already got it. It is a perfect downloadable application. I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago and it’s been perfect since.

• jaw4life

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

sturridges price tag is only going upp after his performance today…

• CheickTiote

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM

If you have a mac I recommend you follow this guide to downloading it.

• arfa chance

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Really hope We do them 3-1

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

we have to take our revenge

• sweendog

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM

i’ve a feeling it’ll be 1-0 the toon tomorrow .. revenge for the relegation escapade .. although don’t want them relegated, as they do play football instead of the stokes etc type teams..

• Brutooon

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

currently mackems 2, WBA 3

• Marty-Toon

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM

West brom beating the unwashed 2-3 🙂

• Robby Bobson

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Last time we played villa it was 6-0.

Last time we played bent it was 5-1.

The omens are good.

I can see it going either way tomorrow.with the players we are lacking its all about if villa turn up.

If Villa play well we loose, if Villa don;’t they are dreadful and we will win comfortably.

Watch it be a draw now…

• cyrus

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I am confidence to this formation, this is a good chance to show that Nolan is not as important as what you think, Barton can be a better AMC than Nolan, also I think Ryan Taylor is the best right wing in newcastle.

Harper
    Simpson Coloccini Williamson Enrique
    Taylor (r) Barton (c) Guthrie Gutierrez
    Ameobi Lovenkrands

• CheickTiote

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Sunderland are going down!!

• connor_nufc

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Robby bobson did bent not play in the 1-1 draw at the stadium of light

• baro

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

LOL! Mackems going down!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Where o where is daffy? Where o where o where is daffy? Where o where o where is daffy?
    Where could daffy be!!

Come on you gobby mackem c!!nt! Where are you?? Back under your stone no doubt you little winnet!

• baro

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Almost every match preview i make a formation for the game, but this time ED your nailed on!
    Ryan Taylor, Joey Barton, and Danny Guthrie can all pass the ball with beauty trying to find Ameobi with the header or Lovenkrands with a thru–ball. Jonas can do his dribbling MAGIC as Villa have a p!ss p00r and slow defense besides Kyle Walker. I’m surely confident we will win this game easily! Just take one step at a time to reach the peak of the mountain wit all 3 POINTS

Newcastle United 5 – 0 Aston Villa

Ameobi 20 min
    Ameobi 32 min
    Barton 46 min
    Barton 81 min
    Ranger 83 min

HWTL!

• geoff777

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Fantastic results.

Only WBA below us won & they were playing the scum!

Blackburn & Birmingham draw keeping them both in trouble.

The rest lost.

Hoping for 3 points tomorrow!

HWTL

• gorskino10

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

3 Points or a draw would be amazing considering lack of depth/selling a prolific striker/massive injuries to key players/loaning out players when shouldnt/bringing in Irelands whos useless. A draw would be great just looking over team and it will obviouslly be same team as last week which is bad news in some places, naimly Loven who has been terrible will be playing upfront well if he somehow manages to hold off Collins and Dunne ill give him a medal he will be soooooooo overpowered and he isnt that good to begin with he will do nothing as per usual.

Williamsson against Bent/Young/Downing i have MASSIVE worries over he is too slow and immobile and against a striker like Bent unlike Wolves he will make us pay.
    Some concerns with Danny is he has another average game the wingers may exploit him.

But hey thats Pardew using tried and trusted and not using any ability as a manager to counter act against Villa.

I would if i was manager change Loven for Ranger and tell him to run onto Ameobis flicks and passes. Then replace Willo for STaylor, he just is alot quicker than Willo which is saying alot as Taylor isnt that quick, and also he makes less mistakes than Willo.

• The Power Ranger

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Just lost 20 quid on grand national but went on sunderland forum and that has made my day!

• alex84

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM

yeah but you ain’t manager are you gorskino10,
    Pardews tried and trusted ways have us top half of the table, not bad id say

• arfa chance

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Ha ha alex

• jimiley

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Pardews tried and trusted ways have got us two wins in the last11 games. Relegation form after a good start. No Nolan, Tiote or our Best forward tomorrow. Where are the goals coming from? Jonas has scored his goal for the season. I suppose it has to be Stroller. I’m confident now.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Lovenkrands should be dropped for Ranger. We need to hold the ball up top and Lovenkrands can’t do that. Between Ranger and Ameobi we will have the strength up top to hold off tackles and wait for the rest of the team to come forward for support. Ameobi, Gutierrez and Barton in particular will have to play a blinder if we are to have any success tomorrow. Now is the best time to face a Villa side extremely low in confidence and morale. I expect the three points thanks to a 1-0 win from an Ameobi header.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

jimiley, gorskino10, I don’t know what you have for a problem? You want attacking football? Pardew plays attacking football. Only problem with attacking football is sometimes your defence is to far forward. That is a weakness on the counter attack.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM

We’ll win tomorrow 0-1 and it’ll be a own goal from Downing that win us the game. And that will do me. Just perfect.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

*win = wins

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM

cyrus, Nolan is important. He may not be as fast as the brain but he is as constant as the heart.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Effin hell. 4 posts in a row from me. Maybe 5 now must be some sort of record? Anyone can be first.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Yep it was 5 now 6

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Anyone there? 7

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I talk to the trees, but they don’t talk to me. 8

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM

All by myself don’t wanna be all by myself any more. 9

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM

“This is Major Tom to Ground Control
    I’m stepping through the door
    And I’m floating in a most peculiar way
    And the stars look very different today

For here
    am I sitting in my tin can
    Far above the world
    Planet Earth is blue
    And there’s nothing I can do

Though I’m past one hundred thousand miles
    I’m feeling very still
    And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
    Tell my wife I love her very much (she knows!)
    Ground Control to Major Tom
    Your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?
    Can you hear….

“ am I floating round my tin can
    Far above the Moon
    Planet Earth is blue
    And there’s nothing I can do.?

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Now no-one’s knocked upon my door
    For a thousand years, or more
    All made up and nowhere to go
    Welcome to this one man show
    Just take a seat, they’re always free
    No surprise, no mystery
    In this theatre that I call my soul
    I always play the starring role, so lonely
    So lonely, so lonely, so lonely
    So lonely, so lonely, so lonely
    So lonely, so lonely, so lonely
    So lonely, so lonely

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

When I was young I never needed anyone
    and making love was just for fun those days are gone
    living alone I think of all the friends I’ve known
    but when I dial the telephone nobody’s home
    All by myself don’t wanna be all by myself anymore
    all by myself don’t wanna live all by myself anymore

• arfa chance

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Ha ha gg hilarious. The negative posters in here do my box in . HWTL one thing is for sure when its mattered the boys turn up and I’m not talking about stoke away lol

• arfa chance

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Lmao

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM

arfa chance, Thank God it wasn’t 13 in a row. I’m a bit superstitious about 13.

• MacToon

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

You need to get out more GG 😉

I really hope we help relegate them by walloping them tomorrow or 1-0 to us will do!

Jury’s still out on Pardew as far as I’m concerned.

• JP...from The Rock