Guthrie’s Dire Warning To Aston Villa

Newcastle are a much better team than they were two years ago.

Aston Villa – a proud and famous football club

It could be that Newcastle had some better quality players in the side two years ago, when the club were devastatingly relegated, but there wasn’t the fight and spirit that we see in the Newcastle team these days.

And after all football is  a team game, and it’s almost common place in the Premier League this season, that a lower league team with less skilled players, gives a Chelsea, Arsenal  or Manchester United everything they can handle.

And this season must also be one of the most competitive ever since the Premier League was created in England back in 1992, and that has to be a good omen.

Team spirit could be the problem that Aston Villa are suffering from at the moment,  as they are just two points above the drop zone, but with so many outstanding players in their squad what’s going on?

Danny Guthrie has some ideas, as he talked today about Newcastle:

“The team spirit is better than it was down there two years ago.” “ I do not know if we are better individually, but that is not always the best way to be with better individuals but worse team spirit.”

“We are all on the same page, all want the same things now. Whereas two years ago, maybe it was not like that. Maybe Villa are now on the same page we were two years ago.

“On paper, you watch England with  Downing and   Young the best players.”  “You have to think that maybe something is not right at Villa. They are in a similar boat to what we were two years ago.”

“That is what springs to mind when I see them and where they are.” “They should look at what happened to us and realize you cannot be too good to go down.”  “If the team is not pulling in the same direction, then it does not matter who is in the team you will lose games.”

“Once you get stuck in a rut, it is very, very difficult to get out of it because the pressure then grows from the fans.” “At this stage of the season a good team spirit is more important than quality.” “Of course individuals can still produce a little bit of magic, but if team spirit is not right at this stage you could find yourself in trouble.”

We would expect Aston Villa to pull out of their decline before the end of the season, but that’s something the Newcastle side just couldn’t do two years ago, so the relegation threat to Villa is real.

Aston Villa won the European Cup in 1982, and have won the English First Division title 7 times (last time 1981)  the FA Cup 7  times (last time 1957), and the League Cup 5 times (last time 1996).

So you can see Aston Villa are a great club with a very good record of success, and it would be tragic if the club was relegated, but having said that we still hope our Newcastle lads can get a win tomorrow.

All’s fair in love and war – and football.

• connor_nufc

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I seriouly hope they go dwn

• connor_nufc

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

seriously*

• CheickTiote

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I agree Connor, I would love for them to go down. I’m looking forward to seeing the NUFC fans making some signs in revenge to Aston Villas next messiah sign they made. I would really love for them to go down, and hopefully next season when Villa go down we can buy Albrighton.

• dave 1961

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

it would be tragic all right in fact it would be so tragic it could have me laughing all summer, it could not be much funnier could it just a pity its not the last game.

• mashearer

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

unfortunately you are not

• jackdnufc

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Although I wouldn’t ever describe it as tragic, relegation isn’t something I would wish on most fans and clubs, including Villa’s. It was our side that got our club relegated back then, not the Villa fans or side. It is undoubtedly more entertaining to see a larger, more prestigious club go down but given the grief we felt and took when we went down I do not understand why we would wish it so badly on any football side.

Saying that, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal, now that may change my opinion a little but I do not think I’ll have to worry about my own hypocrisy for a while yet!

2-0 to the Toon tomorrow.

HWTL!

• lewman

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM

i think barton is going to have a blinder tomorrow, another motm display and maybe a goal

• Sgt. Heagerty

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I hope the dirty villains go down. They danced like scum supporters when we got relegated at their ground two years ago for no reason. We have never had Bad blood with them at least not derby bad blood and the wAy they kicked us while we were down I pray they go down. Let’s help em tomorrow by tKing three points from em and unfurling are everybody laugh at Aston villa signs….

Hwtl toon 3-1 (jonas, Barton, ranger) ( bent for them in squeaky bum time)