Joey Barton Is Opinionated But That’s Hardly A Problem

Alan Pardew has no issues at all with Joey Barton, and he thinks that Joey deserves to be the Newcastle captain in the absence of Kevin Nolan, tomorrow afternoon at Villa Park.

Joey Barton – in action at Stoke

Joey has made some controversial comments about both Gareth Barry and Ousmane Dabo over the last couple of days, and has criticized both of them in different ways.

But there’s no doubt the controversial midfielder has been one of Newcastle’s  outstanding players this season, and if the only thing Joey does these days that we don’t like,   is to criticize other players, that’s OK with us.

It seems that Joey has come a long way to correcting his anger tantrums, which have in the past got him two assault convictions, and  he had to serve time in jail for the altercation in  November of 2007 in Liverpool, while he was on Newcastle’s books.

And those convictions will probably prevent Joey from getting a Visa for the Magpies’ American tour in July, and that’s unfortunate, but actions always have consequences in life.

Although Alan Pardew would probably have Joey make less controversial statements to the press, he has come out today and said he has no problems at all with Joey, and that he deserves the Newcastle captaincy:

“Joey is an opinionated person and that isn’t a problem for me,” “He’s striking the ball, he’s connecting with the ball so well that he’s a problem for the opposition.” “He does deserve it for the performance and the discipline he’s shown.”

“It’s off the pitch that Joey has corrected a lot of what was wrong with him as a professional footballer.” “On the other side of it, if you had people without opinions, without that maverick streak then you wouldn’t have talented individuals,” “You wouldn’t have Eric Cantona, you wouldn’t have George Best – some of these players, their make-up is that individualism.”

“Joey may have thrown too many sound bites and perhaps he hasn’t done himself too many favors with that interview,” “He is a little bit disappointed and feels he’s been badly reflected but that’s Joey.”

“I said: ‘Well OK, Joey, perhaps you shouldn’t have done it.’ That is how he is but sometimes players and managers cannot say what they think because it will cause a massive, massive problem.”

“Joey expresses exactly what he thinks at the training ground and in team meetings. He will say: ‘I don’t agree with that.’ It’s good information for me and I will listen and I will weigh up whether he is right or wrong.”

“I don’t agree with all of his opinions, on or off the training ground, but I recognize he does have a genuine opinion. We all have our own opinions about the England team because we love our country to win football matches.”

“But Joey’s opinion is his opinion, mine is mine and if either opinion harms someone then what’s the point of making it? “Joey’s behavior has been exemplary, often under extreme provocation, since I’ve been here,”

“Joey is conducting his life off the pitch in the right way. Since I have managed Joey he has been a quality player for me and deserves the armband. In life, you have to deal with people as you find them.”

“I don’t dismiss anyone because someone told me their reputation is that of a horrible person or a nasty player.” “Joey’s career has been about extremes. I have to make sure he is on the right path and I am doing that. I try to give him the guidance and respect he wants.”

Alan is so right there about you have to deal with people as you find them, and you shouldn’t let somebody’s reputation go before them too much.

It’s how they interact with you that’s the important thing, and we must say that it seems like Pardew and Joey have formed a very good relationship, and Joey has already said he thinks Pardew is a cracking guy, who really knows his football.

It says a lot about Joey that he is going to captain Newcastle United, after everything that’s happened in his past.

But the 28 year-old deserves it, and we expect him to have another good game, and drive Newcastle on, to get at least something out of the game tomorrow afternoon against Aston Villa.

And we fully expect Joey to represent the Newcastle captaincy with the dignity it deserves, and maybe he can get a goal for Newcastle  too!

That’s something the other Newcastle captain does regularly.

• ogm

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Couldn’t agree more, Joey’s been great this season and has had to put up with more than most. The guy has turned his life around and I admire him for that. So he calls a spade a spade, nowt wrong with that although a bit of tact may have got him further.

• Crawfordladd17

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I like him now these days and he has got respect back he should be at LEAST an England sub

• roe997

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I sadley have convictions,similar to joey,but i still got my visa to go to las vagas in 2009. I believe that drug offences are the main downfall in getting a visa and im sure joeys case will be considered

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

BARTON s attitude might be rude but wt he has said is completely true he is the oly english mid fielder in form for england and cappelo must select him and leaving BARTON the other english mid fielder in form will be nolan he should play for england and cappelo must select him if he can select davies than wat is wrong with nolan he is younger than davies and can score goals from mid field

• carrollsinger

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

The thing with joeys statements are they are true Barry ain’t all that and as for finishing a fight good man! Bartooooon is black and White and passion like that keeps us in the prem and at the moment in time joey is one of the best english mids but cappello don’t pick the team the fa do! ENGLAND need sone fight and passion no softies like Barry lamps Milner ect………

• Mag52

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I’d be very surprised if Joey B. ever made it into the England set up after what has gone on in the past. The blazer brigade tend to have long memories.
    Good move though by Pardew. He’s slowly winning me round.

• ganiyu

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

How many matches have nufc won without joey barton ?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

The only thing is he sets himself to be shot down unless he is absolutely fantastic every match.

He’s had some great games this season for the first time in 4, but like anyone, can be very indifferent in some games.

If you come out with stupid comments, then you’ve got to be M.O.M every match. I think he enjoys being the pantomime villain a bit too much. He’s not Messi but now he’s said what he has, he can’t afford to be far off !!

Would have thought the rest of the team don’t need the circus of him getting booed every time he does something less than perfect from now on. It’s an unneeded distraction and extra pressure brought on himself and the team.

Let’s hope he is M.O.M for the next 7 games, but more importantly just occasionally engages his brain before speaking.

• GeordieGerman

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM

If you can walk the walk, then you should be able to talk the talk.

• lewman

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

• ArtyH

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I would not like to be in Cappelo’s position and NOT select Barton or Nolan. These two players would grace the England team by WINNING games. Without them there is no excitement or pulse, personally I have not watched an England game for years BECAUSE the current selection are shite! We NEED some new faces NOT old feaces!

• Marty-Toon

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Gotta agree with Joey on Gareth Barry….
    Way too slow and way over-rated.
    Nolan or Joey would be much better.