We put an article out earlier today on Jose Enrique, and said the revelations from Phil Thompson had put both the Newcastle and Liverpool clubs in a difficult situation, and we thought there wasn’t much Newcastle could say about it, if it was true.
Alan Pardew – do deal with Liverpool – nothing’s changed
But on the other hand, if it wasn’t true then Alan Pardew should say so, and that’s exactly what he has told the Evening Chronicle today.
Liverpool legend Phil Thompson caused major controversy with his comments to Norwegian TV over the weekend, claiming he had inside information that the deal for Enrique had been struck for a massive £15M.
We have doubts about whether the figure is that high for a player whose contract runs out in 15 months, but it would be a good deal for Newcastle if it’s true.
Pardew has flatly denied there is any deal in place with Liverpool for Jose, as he said today:
“There’s definitely no deal between the clubs – 100%.” “He’s under contract here until next summer.”
“And we hope to open talks on a new deal as soon as possible.” “That’s where we are.”
“As far as anything being a done deal, that’s not true. We want Jose to stay.” “Nothing’s changed.”
It would be absolutely terrific if Jose decides to stay on at Newcastle, and of course if he does, he’ll be the darling of the Newcastle fans.
And it’s good that Alan Pardew has come out today and made that statement about Jose, and it could even be good news for the Newcastle fans this summer.
If Newcastle can start negotiations just as soon as possible that would also help, and maybe we can beat Manchester United next Tuesday night, which would make Newcastle safe.
But where is Phil Thompson getting his information from?
Stay on Tyneside Jose – please!