Shearer – Joey Barton Deserves Great Credit – He’s Outstanding

Last week Joey Barton had said that while he respected Alan Shearer as the great player he obviously was, he wasn’t too impressed with his management or coaching abilities, when Alan managed the Newcastle club for 8 games two years ago.

Alan Shearer – while manager of Newcastle

And Joey had even mentioned they had both been at an event together  recently,  but didn’t talk to each other and didn’t exchange any pleasantries either, and Joey suggested the two of them would never get on.

But Alan Shearer has shown some magnanimous maturity today, and says he has no problem at all with Joey Barton, and more than that, Alan thinks Joey’s done just fine over these last two seasons, and that he has been an outstanding player for Newcastle this season.

Take that Joey! 😀

It’s true that Joey let himself and the club down when he was sent off at Liverpool on May 3rd in the relegation season, and missed the last three games for Newcastle.

Alan Shearer was furious with him in the dressing room after the game, when strong words were exchanged between the two of them.

Shearer has said they have met since that time, and it’s all over with now, as the Newcastle legend told the Evening Chronicle:

“I have absolutely no problem with Barton. We have had a pint since and everything was fine.”

“Our horses have even been in the same race – we were both there to see them and we had a chat.”

“Joey let me down, let the club down and let himself down, there’s no getting away from that and I would tell him the same again.”

“But that’s the end of it.” “He has had an outstanding season, just as he had in the Championship last year, and he deserves great credit for that.”

” Joey has played under real pressure because of his problems off the field as well as on it, but he seems to have overcome them, which is a massive plus.”

It’s never a good thing to bear grudges, and if you do –  it all tends to rebound back on yourself  – at least that’s been my experience in life.

Hey, the world’s far too serious these days, with all the terrible things happening that are being (enthusiastically?) reported every single day, and we should all probably lighten up a bit.

This is good stuff coming from Alan Shearer, so we hope Joey and Alan can bury the hatchet – that stuff at Anfield is past and gone, it’s over with, it’s water under the Tyne Bridge.

And Joey has been magnificent for Newcastle this season, let’s not forget  that either.

And to end this piece, for all those people who didn’t think Alan Shearer was one of the greatest strikers England has ever produced, he played a total of 733 first class games and scored 379 goals.

Alan played 404 times for Newcastle United and holds the goal-scoring record with 206 goals, just six more than the great Wor Jackie, who was born and bred in Ashington, where the Charlton bothers, Bobby and Jackie,  are also from.

Alan is also the top Premier League goal-scorer of all time with 260 goals, 73 more than Andy Cole (187 goals), who is in second place.

And Andy also played for Newcastle, from February 1992 through January  1995, and in 70 appearances for the Newcastle club Andy hit 55 goals, before being sold to Manchester United by then manager Kevin Keegan.

Oh the memories.

• Toonboy_84

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Good words Alan!

• kilcline

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I have a problem with toonboy_84 he has let the mags down on more than one ocassion.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Shows what a pro Shearer is. The man is a living legend!!

• worky

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM

it just shows what a real man Shearer is that even after what happened he can still come out and give credit to JB

• Toonboy_84

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM

kilcline // Apr 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

What do you mean?

• geordieal

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Come on get it right, it was 67 in 84 appearances for Andy cole. Lol

• Toonboy_84

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Where are ya kilcline? Why do you have a problem with me? How have I let the mags down? I want some of what you have been taking son.

• kilcline

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Your negative comments on this forum and your total disregard for football knowledge in general.

• worky

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Toonboy_84 you would be more than welcome on our blog http://www.nufcblog.org if it gets to much for you on here

• WELSH TOON

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM

LMAO at Worky recruiting for his blog. Kilcline if you don’t agree with Toonboy_84’s posts that fine but to say he has “let the mags down on more than one ocassion” is abit harsh, everyone will have there own opinion on a topic even you and Toonboy_84.

• MacToon

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Times are hard eh… need to come n try and get more bloggers from here….. lol….

• Ciaran Thomas

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM

LOL Mac.

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Why couldn’t it have worked out? 🙁

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM

SHEARER is my favourite player in FOOTBALL in my eyes SHEARER is better than messi ronaldo raul henry or any other stricker

• marcos

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Barton, Jonas, Enrique,Nolan,Coloccini have been playing well at Newcastle United but some matches I have noticed that Barton lost his temper quickly and we all know that as one of the leaders in the squad he must keep his temper as much as possible because if he is sent off he will cause a problem for us because playing with 10 men things would be even harder. Last match was an example, he could have been sent off because of his bad temper. To be honest, in my opinion Nolan is more decisive than Barton. Nolan is more important than Barton. A team need the security of a leader not insecurity. my name is marcos and my twitter account is marcos_nufc_rj. Thanks.

• Sav

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:18 AM

“Norway Jose”
    Pardew denies Enrique has agreed a transfer with Liverpool after ex-red Phil Thompson tells Norwegian press ‘its a done deal’.

• Sav

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Big Al may have shared a pint with Joey but I bet he declined the offer of a cigar…

• DerkaSayWhat

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Stricker ? or Do you mean Striker ?.

• Toonboy_84

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Kilcline. Please give me an example of my negative comments. I believe I am far from negative. I believe you are just looking for an argument. This makes you a tool i’m afraid.

• DerkaSayWhat

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I wouldn’t bother him,Toonboy.

• Toonboy_84

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Your probably right mate. Just annoyed me that this guy singled me out when i’m far from negative about the toon. Howay the lads.

• toonturtle

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

The world’s far too serious these days, even on the blog!!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

geordieal: Ed is on about premier goals Cole also had 1/2 a season in the Championships with us.

• Drona

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Shearer will always be appreciative of the club, and the players, no matter who they are. He’s a true Geordie and will love Newcastle till he’s a 100 years old. Big Al’ the living legend !

• tiotal football

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I love Shearer, but does no one else find it convenient that after recently stating he wants to get back into management he is suddenly patching things up with players at the club…

On another note – I agree with marcos though about Barton’s temper, Guthrie seemed to be calming him down at every turn. I know it’s a bit optimistic but if he was to start playing more consistently in the centre like he did against Wolves and Villa then I could see him becoming a good leader in years to come.

• tiotal football

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM

would first need to actually secure down a first team place though of course…

• workyticket

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

WELSH TOON // Apr 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM

“LMAO at Worky recruiting for his blog.”

It wasn’t me, Welsh Toon, just another impersonator.

• HOGC

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

ALAN SHEARER is the greatest player of all time! Way better then all the current players. And i love the fact that he loves Newcastle sooooooo much:):)

And Joey Barton is excellent too, without his contribution together with Carroll early in the season, we wouldn’t be sitting above the relegation zone with a few points to spare. Really appreciate such a guy!