Playboy Days Are Over For Magpie Danny Simpson

Danny Simpson has come out today and admitted that in his younger days he was a bit of a playboy, who went to too many nightclubs.

Danny Simpson – in action last Sunday

You have to remember that he is now only 24, so when these players are coming through the ranks they are very young indeed, and with too much money to spend too, and we all tend to be a bit daft at that age, if truth be told. 😀

So there will always be temptations for young footballers, and some of them fall off the rails, and just never make it because of all the temptations.

But it would be hard for anybody to criticize the top professionalism shown now by the first choice right back at Newcastle, and he thanks the Newcastle club and Chris Hughton for that opportunity.

This is what Danny said today about when he was a playboy, frequented night clubs and the like:

“I was a playboy, I was getting into trouble off the pitch. People had a certain opinion of me, things I’d got up to at Man U. I was a Manchester lad who’d gone from being a nobody to playing in the Premiership.”“I got some attention, I got confident.”

“I can admit now it went to my head.” “There were certain things I did, I was hanging around the wrong people. I had a bit of money. I was wearing the jewelery, driving a fancy car. I hadn’t done anything in the game, but I was living and behaving like someone who had.”

“That wasn’t me, I’d always been a hard worker. I’d lost my way. When anything happened, I had that reputation. When something went wrong, even if it wasn’t my fault, I got the blame.”

“Football’s a small world and people heard the stories and listened to the rumors and nobody wanted to touch me because of it. It was my own fault, but it takes a long time to change perceptions.”

“It was hard to get anyone to give me a chance until Chris Hughton came along. He spoke to Paul Ince about me, and he recommended me, Newcastle gave me that chance and here I am. If Chris hadn’t spoken to Paul Ince, who knows?”

“He gave me a chance to rebuild my career and it’s gone fantastically for me. I’ve changed my personality and my lifestyle, I’m a firm believer that how you behave off the pitch has a direct bearing on what you do on it.”

“I needed a home. I’d been at Manchester United since I was 11, but I’d spent a three-year period out on loan. It was good, I didn’t want to get stuck in a rut playing in the reserves.”  “I always tried to get out and get more first-team experience.”

“It helped me in a way, but on the other hand, if I’d stayed at Man U, would I have played more there? I do wonder.”  “But at 21 or 22, I had an opportunity to come here and it’s something I will always be grateful for. It was perfect timing, I knew it wasn’t going to happen for me at Manchester United. I had to leave.

“There was a temptation to stay, it’s Man U, I’m from Manchester, I was training with players like Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Ronaldo. It’s like a dream.”  “I was happy, but at the same time I wanted to have a career, I wanted to be a success, not someone who is mates with a load of superstar footballers.”

“I wanted to come out of my comfort zone and Newcastle gave me that.”

Those are really good words from Danny boy, and he has improved this season into a solid right-back, and there was even some speculation last year  that the England selectors were watching him closely.

And Simpson may still have a chance to make the England squad, if he can improve further in the next year or so, but he will also have to watch a certain James Tavernier, who is coming through the ranks at Newcastle and whom we featured yesterday.

This Bradford born 19 year-old could be challenging Danny for the right back position as soon as next season, as he is quickly improving his game on Tyneside, and has impressed manager Alan Pardew.

But there’s also no doubt that Simpson has been an excellent signing for Newcastle for something in the range of £750K, and he is also a smashing lad.

For the record, Simpson has now played 66 times for Newcastle with a single goal, and in his career so far has 146 first class appearances with 2 goals.

• ganiyu

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM

i like the personality you clain to have but your a decent fullback

• ganiyu

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM

i like the personality you clain to have but you are not a decent fullback npower fullback

• ganiyu

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Players to sell this summer-barton guthrie jose steven taylor ranger and 3 goal keepers if possible…..ashley sell more and make profit

• G

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM

ganiyu, whatever drugs you are taking, you need to stop.

• Partizan

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

He is good,but we should get someone better if we’re aiming for Europe next season.

Sebastien Corchia
    Lorenzo De Silvestri
    Darijo Srna

Every top club has to have 2 good players on each position,,,and right now its like a Monopoly on the RB with only Tavernier challenging,,,,for Europe thats not good enough.

• lewman

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM

good job ganiyu isnt manage g, simpson has been one of the best rb’s in the league this season but i suppose the pl is not full of top right backs like say the Brazillian national team is.

maybe we need a maicon or an alvez, what do you reckon ganiyu or would phillip lahm do instead.

• lewman

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

i dont think there is any point in overpopulating our squad until we are actually in europe, keep things steady unless we can pick up some real bargains as i really dont think the rb spot is a desperate must as we have 4 rb’s at the moment in simmo, raylor, perch and tavernier.

• john DSOUZA

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Love this lad, always hard working.

• tanmag

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Definitely need Danny fighting out the RB with someone else just to give that extra push to tidy up his game.

• WWJBD

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Agree with lewman

Come summer we need a top class striker and 2 average ones, Ireland if he proves to be able to hit his top form, another winger and 2 LBs (if jose leaves).

I rate Danny highly personally and think that Tavernier can be his back up. CBs we are set imo and midfield we are strong when fit.

Also come this summer someone needs to sort out our consistent injury issues

• sweendog

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Good RB .. and getting better .. glad to hear you’re knuckling down simo ..

• G

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Very good player indeed. His style still winds some people up, but it’s effective more often than not, and this day and age, you need fullbacks that can muck in with attacks.

• ytz

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Guys what do you think of Kyle Walker? I think he is a decent RB. Certainly a few class above Simpson.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I like Danny, he’s a good player. I would like to see him bomb forward a bit more like Jose Enrique does though. I still feel we should give him a huge challenge for his RB spot, signing Micah Richards would do wonders to the team and will make Danny Simpson play even better. Mind you I have always thought that Steven Taylor is more than a decent RB when he plays there.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

ytz – I think we were once interested in that player but I haven’t seen anything of him so I can’t say if it would be good or not.

• scottoon

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Danny has a good engine. He works hard, but IMO he does not close down enough around the box. I think he gives attackers too much room and has been burned over and over again because of it. He has to make attackers work harder by getting close. Really afraid of what Nani will do come Tuesday…be cutting inside our lad, or getting the crosses in all day long.

• cartoonie

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Simpson is too slow, hence why he always backs off attackers coz he is scared that they will just knock it past him and make him look like a fool in the process. As for S.Taylor at RB, he is exactly the same, but does anyone think he is worth 50k a week? I certainly dont, good squad player but not worth that money!

• tom tomb

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Vote Ganiyu!

• smavin

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Decent backup or championship fullback, but thats about it. Gives you nothing going forward. Positioning questionable at times. Backs off wingers too much. Backpeddles too much. Enough said.