Great News – Dan Gosling Back In First Team Training

Some very good news today is that one of Newcastle’s injured players has rejoined the first team training, and Dan Gosling did that last Wednesday.

Dan Gosling – in action at Sunderland earlier this year

Dan had a terrible ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) knee injury he sustained 13 months ago playing at Wolves, and he did return to play for Newcastle in the last few minutes of the game at Sunderland earlier this year.

But his knee swelled up again, and that needed a remedial operation, which hopefully has done the job and cleared things up with the knee, once and for all.

It’s really great news that Dan is back in training, and hopefully he’ll  be able to play again before the end of the season.

This is what Dan told the Sunday Sun today:

“I thought the injury problems were all over so the extra four months have been agony,” “I knew things weren’t right looking back but you’re desperate to be part of it. And to get a taste of it in a derby against Sunderland only made it harder to have to start again.”

“It was boring at first, being back in the gym doing the same exercises I was doing eight months ago. Three, four weeks of the same stuff – it’s boring and repetitive even though you know it has got to be done.”

“So I got through a few box sets to pass the time. I battled a few of the lads at FIFA but after that it was the DVD box-sets all the way. I reckon I’ve ticked them all off now. I’ve been through every season of Entourage, I’ve done Prison Break from series one to four and 24 as well.”

“I was even on Desperate Housewives by the end! I probably shouldn’t admit that but they’re good to be honest, just watch them if you don’t believe me!” “Seriously they kept me going, kept the clock ticking while I couldn’t go out and do what I wanted to do – which was play football for a living.”

Desperate Housewives – now that really is desperation! 😀

Dan is obviously very keen to play as soon as possible, and he’s even eying the game against the Red Devils on Tuesday evening,  but we doubt very much that he will be on the bench for that game.

The remedial operation he had a few months back was to remove some floating cartilage, drain the fluid from the swollen knee, and also trim some scar tissue that had developed from the operation last year.

Dan returned to first team training last Wednesday morning, and that’s just terrific news, and he talked about that:

“I’m feeling fine now,” “My lungs are burning a bit but the knee feels fine – it feels strong. I trained for the first time on Wednesday and it felt good, it felt great. “This time I’ll take it slowly – no setbacks and no rushing things.”

“If I get a game before the end of the season, great. If I have to wait until next season, so be it.” “I would love to play against Manchester United.” “I’m available if needed. It’s not my decision, but if the manager, physios and coaches get together and decide I can, then I’ll make myself available.”

“It does feel very different to last time. Leading up to the game, in training, it never really felt right to be honest. The problem was floating cartilage apparently and I didn’t feel right at all.” “I needed half-an-hour’s treatment every time I’d been training just to loosen it up.”

“And then every morning it was stiff again – I couldn’t move my leg.” “Playing in the Sunderland game was maybe the wrong decision, looking back.” “But it was no-one’s fault and it didn’t set me back at all because if I hadn’t played, I’d still have needed the operation.”

Newcastle fans will be hoping to welcome back two of  Newcastle’s biggest young stars before the end of the season, in 21 year-old Dan Gosling and 24 year-old Hatem Ben Arfa, and both have been through hell and high water recovering from their serious injuries.

Between them they have only 5 appearances for the Newcastle first team this season.

It would be just terrific if both lads can play a couple of game before the end of the season, and prove to themselves, they have fully recovered – and just think – these are two new players we already have for next season.

And news today that Newcastle have already made several offers in the transfer market could bode well for a much stronger squad for next season.

We hope so in any case, and as always, we  live in hope that Newcastle can become great again, and sooner rather than later.

• geordie_vince

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Hopefully the wait has paid off lol

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM

hope he will play to liverpool game with ben arfa in tat game we will have quality and young players in the TEAM

• john DSOUZA

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Datz a gud news. Mayb him an arfa could feature in da liverpool game

• jarnytoon

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Desperate housewives = desperation? Hot milfs talking about money and sex and have hot daughters……yeah what was he thinking…..haha

On a football matter though I can’t wait to have him back! Good lil player n I reckon if/when tiote gets suspended next season that gosling can cover DMF.

• GeordieRob

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I think premier league footballers needs to have a look into the new generation of artificial ligament replacements into the future. LARS surgery has improved so that the outcome of the surgery is similar other than rapidly improved recovery time. An ACL rupture means 3 months out of the game with LARS rather than a year using the conventional method.

It’s getting done more and more in professional athletes and when you consider how much a year out of football can cost (the club and the player) it may be worth the risk of unknown long term side effects. If it’s crocked by the time you turn 40, your career is already over anyway.

• Weezertoon

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Bringing him and ben arfa in for the liverpool game would be fantastic psychologically for the NUFC team and the fans, but only if they are 100% fit, no use risking injuries this late on.
    3 points is all we need (hopefully we’ll get those at blackpool), after that, let the lads ride out the season without pressure.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Does anybody know what the situation is with Shola for the Man Utd game?

• WELSH TOON ™

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Everyone keep saying Gosling plays this position he plays that position, Im was pretty sure he plays RM, but now I’m questioning myself after reading previous posts. Can anyone confirm Gosling’s position?

• GeordieGerman

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM

WELSH TOON, hope this helps.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dan Gosling

Daniel “Dan” Gosling (born 2 February 1990) is an English footballer who plays for Newcastle United as a centre midfielder, right midfielder or right fullback. Gosling is a versatile player, having operated as a box-to-box midfielder on several occasions and occasionally deputised at right back to accommodate substitutions. Before signing for Newcastle he played for Plymouth Argyle and Everton.

• Turkish Magpie

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Gosling said himself his favourite position is CM however he’ll play anywhere for us ( i know a lot of footballers say that) however he can also play RM and RB.

Think of him as a slightly younger, better, cross between Danny Guthrie and RTaylor

• gorskino10

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM

His play is more DM, he likes the mopping up role, getting stuck in and then moving the ball foward.

Feels typical NUFC ” too late” as Arfa is coming back and now Gosling good to hear they are coming back.

Any news on Kazenga? Wonder if we will offer him a contract if he is Injured? Hope so.

• Gilroy1991

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Gosling is capable of scoring lots of goals, i see him as a replacement for Nolan in about 2-3 years time

• GeordieDan

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

“Dan says he doesn’t want to rush things this time around, but still wants to play against the Red Devils on Tuesday night – sounds like a 21 year-old to us.”

That’s just what I was thinking as I read it Ed. Every 21 year old thinks they’re bullet-proof-which is why they drive like loons and have to pay a million pounds a year to drive their 1 litre Vauxhall corsas! 🙂

I’m sure Gosling would love to play against Manure but the NUFC staff would be crazy to even think about chancing him and I’m 100% sure they won’t.

Getting him back for a cameo against Liverpool or Blackpool might be a possibility but I’d much rather see him get a great pre-season in and come back like a machine for next years premier league campaign.

• GeordieDan

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Exactly the same applies to Ben Arfa as well.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Good that he,s motivated to return! But both he and Ben Arfa should be sure that their 100% fit before they play! I would test them in a reserve game first!