Shola Ameobi Cleared To Play Without Mask

Good news today that Shola Ameobi has been cleared to play without the mask that has been protecting his broken cheek-bone, as it has healed.

Shola Ameobi – will not be wearing mask again – good news

Ameobi broke his cheek-bone in the first half at Fulham in early February, and then traveled to Detroit to get a special mask fitted, so he could continue playing.

However, the Nigerian born striker was warned that if he broke it again, the surgeon couldn’t operate on it – but it seems the cheek-bone has now healed fully enough to enable him to play without the mask.

Shola trained this morning without the mask, and seemed relieved to be able to play without it.  He had said recently that it hurt him, if didn’t head the ball exactly on his forehead, which is almost impossible to do every time.

But that didn’t stop Shola scoring a beautifully headed goal just before half time,  in the game against Wolves  a couple of weeks ago.

This is what Shola told the official site this afternoon:

“It’s one of those things which was uncomfortable but had to be done because health is the most important thing, and it did the job that was asked of it,”

“It helped me to play a few games and I helped the team gather as many points as we could, but now the time has come where I feel confident enough in the cheek and I’m glad to be available to play on Tuesday without any hindrance.”

“It’s been the required amount of time now. It was advised that maybe I should wear it until the end of the season but at the end of the day, it depends how I feel and how comfortable I am.”

“And I’m confident enough now that I can go out there and be sure that it’s going to be alright.” “It’s strong enough now. The bone’s healed – obviously, when you break it it’s in a brittle state and it’s harder to put together if it’s tapped again.”

” But the bone’s fully healed now and like I say, I’ve got the confidence now to go and hopefully help us get something out of the game on Tuesday.”

Love him or hate him you cannot say Shola isn’t  committed to the Newcastle cause, but we are more worried right now about that dodgy knee of his, and hope he’s fully fit to play against the might of Manchester United tomorrow night.

If it’s not thing it’s another.

• ochytoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Yay, as many Shola haters as there are, I really like him as he never turns his back on us. He has always tried

• davybtoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM

my team tomrrow
    harper
    simpson willo colo jose
    barton tiote ireland jonas
    shola ranger

• Toonmania

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM

ssn was saying that sholla and harper are injury doubts for tomorrows game?? but at least sholla seems to be fit, where do they get their news from?

• hainesy

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Toonmania- I think its his knee that is the main injury area for both of them. But the information must come from somewhere? I have no idea where? Maybe their ‘sources’? Thing is they are usually spot on so…. Its a good source

• ToonAndy

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM

———————HARPER——————–

SIMPSON—-WILLO—-COLLO—-ENRIQUE

BARTON–IRELAND–TIOTE–FERGIE–JONAS

————————AMEOBI——————-

• Toonmania

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM

hainesy,
    i’ve got a good sauce too it’s called heinz

• davybtoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM

i think krul is gonna play tomorro bcoz harper is out and haris vukic is in the sqaud for tomorro woo glad hes back

• ToonAndy

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM

How u know vuckic is in the squd Davy?

• davybtoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM

toon andy this article has the sqauds at the bottom as they the clubs have to announce them the day before

• marcos

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM

In my opinion Alan Pardew should play a 4-5-1 formation. We need to pack the midfield.
    Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Enrique. Barton, Tiote, R.Taylor, Guthrie, Jonas. Ameobi. We need at least 1 point.

• chuck

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM

************Harper************
    Simpson*Taylor* Colo.* Enrique
    *************Tiote*************
    Jonas****** Barton*****Ferguson
    *******Ireland******************
    *****************Shola***********

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Swap Tayls for Wilo and you’re on the money, chuck.

• hainesy

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM

marcos- I disagree that we need something. All we need IMHO is a win at Blackpool. A draw there may even be enough. We still have Wba and Brummies to come. Maybe some easier 3pointers with *fingers crossed* a fully fit and suspension free squad!

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Shola is one guy who is commited to NUFC since he arrived he remindes me of a NUFC stricker who is totally opposite to ameobi who tat could be owen ya owen sucks

• scottoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Think that looks good chuck, but I think after the formation disasters against Stoke and Villa, that AP will stick with 4-4-2. I would certainly go with your side, except Willo in for Saylor.

• tom tomb

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Just need some protective shields for his legs and ankles and hips now!

• arfa chance

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Everyone slates him but he plays most times injured. He gives his all. I predict shola to notch 2 tomorrow

• cheikmate

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM

We all know tomorrows team will be:

_________harper
    Simmo Willo Collo Jose
    Barton Guthrie Tiote Jonas
    ______Shola Loven

Ireland to come on for guthrie, and ranger to come on for loven.

I just cant see loven causing vidic and rio many problems like! were gona need alota luck

• dave 1961

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM

this games our most important of the season so i hope those that hate Ashley can put it to one side and get behind the Toon a win will kick start the party’s, and failing that a draw will give us the momentum to take us into the next game, a game for men with balls of steel, this is the game that makes heroes.

• scottoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Think you have that exactly right Cheik. Rather see AP give Ireland the start…bit more creative influence…but likely to be Guthrie. We will score on the counter. 2-1 to the Toon. HWTL!

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I’m bored and just wondered, what would be people’s Toon team of the decade? I’ll start:

————–Given————–
    Beye—Woodgate-Colo-Enrique
    ————–Tiote
    Nobby——Speed——Milner
    ————-Ben Arfa(I know :))
    ————–God

Subs:Harper, Hughes, Bernard, Nolan, Robert, Jonas, Bellamy.

• Andy

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Team of the last decade for me would be
    —————Given——————-
    Beye—– Taylor — Woodgate –Jose
    ——————-Tiote —————–
    Nobby ——— Speed ————– Robert
    Shearer —-Bellamy
    Subs: Harper, Hughes (tremendously under rated when he was with us), Barton, Carroll(controversial!!) Milner, Lee, Sibierski (cult hero to me!)

• dandan84

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Has anyone noticed that dalgleish now sign good players but when he was with us he signed people like guivarch and andreas andersson ffs

• ochytoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM

@Andy
    What about Asprilla an Ginola and not forgetting Andy Cole!!!

• Andy

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM

ochy he said last decade 2000-2010. Without doubt the best toon side i’ve ever seen was that team with Asprilla and Ginola! Oh how different a club we may have been if we didn’t bottle that title run in!

• arfa chance

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Had a little power nap lads and dreamed We beat man u. Rooney and nani scored first half and then saylor, Ameobi and vuckic off the bench in 89 th min. If only lol

• ochytoon

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Ah my bad Andy. Still a good team choice though

• RedMissionBells

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:01 AM

Shola Ameobi will get injured again midway through the game or after the game.

At the moment, I do not see how Ranger can make an impact against Manchester United’s defence.
    I actually think Kuqi would be more threathening against Manchester United.

Just my thoughts.

• Brutooon

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Mask or no mask

Its the same old ameobi, inconsistency and lazy all the way

The reason he never turn his back over us BECAUSE no club want him! ( Not even his loan to stoke city earn them to sign him)