Ireland Surprised And Touched By Terrific Reception From Fans

Stephen Ireland was surprised and touched by the terrific reception he got from the Newcastle fans last night.

Stephen Ireland – finally in action for Newcastle last night

And he was surprised even when he was warming up, and  was getting loads of support from the crowd. as he did his warming up exercises.

Stephen’s girlfriend Jessica, was injured in a car crash last week, but Stephen was able to put that to one side, at least for the game, and Newcastle fans appreciate that kind of personal courage from a player.

The 24-year-old had informed his manager Alan Pardew that he was willing to play, and we thought Stephen looked like he can do a job for Newcastle – big time.

This is what Stephen said today, after being on Tyneside since January 31st, but unable to play because of injuries and other stuff:

“I was actually quite touched and surprised by the reception the Geordie people gave me,” “Even when I was warming up, the fans were clapping and cheering me. I was really impressed and taken aback by it.”

“I’m grateful and appreciate it a lot. They’ve accepted me and want me to do well, and that’s all you want.” “I’ll now try to repay them by working as hard as I can. Whenever I get the ball, that’ll be in my mind. First and foremost I want to work hard for the team, and help us achieve a high finish.”

“The fans have been brilliant, and it was electric,” “I haven’t played in front of fans like that before in my life.” “It’s massive for our team – the teams that come here are petrified, and you can see that by the way they react. To do it for a whole 90 minutes is impressive.”

“It has been hard, but it was made a lot easier thanks to the club,” “I’m really impressed by the club, the staff and the fans – everybody’s been brilliant to me.”

“They have helped me with what has gone on. I’m now just looking forward to getting my head down and playing as much football as I can.” “I just want to help the club stay as high up the table as I can.”

Welcome to Newcastle United Stephen! 😀

Well those are great words from the Irishman, and we’re starting to take to this player.

Stephen looked to us like he is  on a par with players like Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan and Cheick Tiote, because he can play a bit.

Yes, he was only on for 20 minutes but he’s an emotional player like the other three, and we think the Newcastle fans can lift him to play at his very best on Tyneside.

We’ve switched to thinking this lad can possibly become a great player for Newcastle, and it will be interesting to see how he performs in the final 5 games of the seasons,  but we are expecting him to show us all what he can do.

Stephen with girlfriend Jessica Lawlor

Jessica Lawlor, 25, has a two-year-old son with Stephen Ireland, and suffered internal bleeding and a broken ankle in the car accident last week, and we hope she is recovering well, and will be OK very soon.

• southerngeordie

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Ist

• thepict

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Good to see him come on last night, did ok in the 20 minutes he had.
    T

• alex84

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

thought he did well when he had the ball could tell he is creative player from the get go…hope he plays longer on saturday

• southerngeordie

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Very impressed by his contribution yesterday – came on and made a real positive contribution. A lot of players who have suffered a big injuries struggle once they are put back into the team and can sometimes be unnoticeable. Ireland really got involved and put himself about.

Fingers crossed he can do enough to earn a contract. He is a cracking player and i think his approach and attitude suits our style of play

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Play him from the start on Saturday, perhaps for Loven?

With signings, there are going to be some selection headaches next season for AP, that’s for sure!

• Elfy_Toon

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM

He played brilliantly with barton, they were getting a good few one-twos in there and they were running rings around the mancs, they lacked a final ball between them, you could see they were trying to pull off a through balls but they were placed a little too far ahead of each other. Can’t wait to see them against blackpool now 😀

——–Krul—–
    Simpson – Williamson – Collo – Enrique
    ——–guthrie—–tiote—————–
    Barton——–ireland——-jonas
    ————–Ameobi———————

I think that team would tear open blackpool, i get the feeling this is the formation for next season, ben arfa playing in the hole with only one striker.

• Tal_nufc4eva

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM

hey guys please take time an have a look at my channel and have a look at my videos. i got 4 from yesterdays match and the link to 1 is above.
    cheers
    (TalNufc96)

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Qaulity player. Hope we sign him.

• nufcburty

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Isn’t nolan back for next match? if he is i agree with Elfy_Toon but replace Guthrie for Nolan, then bring Guthrie on at half time, he played well, and would be nice to see if him and Ireland can do any good in the CM..

• GeordieRob

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

@Elfy_Toon

You benching the skipper?

Nolan is available? Straight swap for Guthrie. Guthrie played well, but he’s too inconsistent for mine. Especially if we’re going to run at them.

• GeordieRob

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Beat me by a minute nufcburty!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I agree Ireland looked like he could be a useful acquisition. However Nolan has to play on Saturday & I thought Gutherie did well last night. I would play:
    ——————Krul————
    Simpson——Collo——Willo—–Enrique
    Barton——Gutherie—–Tiote——Jonas
    ——————–Nolan——————-
    —————–Ameobie————-

• scottoon

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Thought Ireland made some great runs off the ball, and provided some creative link up. He looked as though he is carrying some rust, but that is to be expected after a long lay off.

The midfield looked fantastic last night. Guthrie was controlled and played very well. Joey was excellent, as was Jonas. Tiote was MOTM…what else can you say about this guy. Buy of the season in the prem.

Defence was solid. Simmo still backs too far off the attacker in my opinion. Collo is amazing. Enrique and Willo very strong.

So we need attackers. Loven worked hard and should have had a pen. Ameobi…I have never rated this lad, and never will. Dodgy work ethic and too easy to play as a defender. Transfer kitty should be about a strike force

• davybtoon

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM

id have
    krul
    simpson willo colo jose
    barton tiote nolan jonas
    ireland ameobi

• WWJBD

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Am curious where all the Ireland knockers are? I was abused for suggesting he could make a impact for us.

In 20 minutes coming back from a long absense and having his mind on his lass he was fantastic imo. If that’s what he can do distracted can’t wait til he is in the right mind.

• alex84

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

plus…you can tell he wants to play here and really make his name…unlike at Villa. fair play!

• DanToon

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM

My team v pool
    ————Krul———–
    Simmo willo collo jose
    Barton Nolan Tiote Jonas
    —–Shola—–Ranger—-

Worst defence around means ranger will have more luck if he gets a goal he make spark a fire. If he fails in the first half change him for Ireland

• Flood

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Off topic but where do you think Ben Arfa will play? As a winger or as an attacking midfielder? I think pardew’s decision is then decides whether we sign ireland next year!

• Davies

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM

That’s a pretty sold shout DanToon.

• Davies

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Flood. One of the best things about our midfield at the moment is that it’s full of pretty versatile players. I can’t see Ben Arfa having problems getting a starting place. We will, by the looks of it, have an unusually (for the Toon) strong bench.

• Andy

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Anybody see Tiote’s interview after the game last night? Talking about how it was a good point then looks at the camera and says but Man U aren’t a big team with the biggest grin i’ve ever seen. Very funny. Also flood i think it depends how much Villa are actually going to make us pay for Ireland will determine whether we get him, not where Ben Arfa will play. If they are gonna take the p!ss then i doubt we’ll get him. Personally i’d play both of them off a big front man. Then push Barton inside with Nolan and Tiote. That would probably be the strongest midfield outside of the top 6

• steve1980

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM

He looked sharp. Should defo start against Blackpool, who looked utterly shot to pieces against the dire Wigan last Saturday. Interesting that Steven Taylor has been benched in favour of Williamson. Not complaining, Taylor’s rubbish, sell him in the summer, MW is a far superior centre half. Anyhow, team for Saturday:

Goal – Krul

—————–Krul——————-
    Simps—Willo—Collo—-Enrique
    —————Tiote——————-
    Barton———————Gutierrez
    ————–Nolan——————–
    —————Ameobi—————–

I’d swap Nolan/Gutierrez for Ireland at half time depending on their performance. But i think I’d prefer to take Nolan and put Ireland on 🙂

• youngtoonfan

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Sorry, Lovenkrands next to Ameobi

• roitoon1

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Hey ed what’s the common theme in everybody’s team for blackpool. … The back 4. Do a piece on the four of them. They have been quality all year. I agree simmo backs off and may not be fantastic in the air but otherwise very good. Willo for what we got him for has been a star. Colo and enrique dodgey start to their nufc careers but excellent the last two yrs… Also Im going to throw it our there being relegated has helped us big time. Young players got experience and some more settled in.Limit deadwood and no fancy Dan big time players. A good group who work hard. Well done ch and Ap.

• scottoon

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Some very nice problems to have if Ireland comes aboard permanently. With Gosling, HBA returning from injury we would have a top midfield with depth. Been a lot of years since we could say that. Keep Enrique (please!!) bring in Taiwo and another fullback, couple of decent strikers (Lokaku…why not?) and we are sorted.

• Sholameobi

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Just seen this http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23943169-qpr-to-tie-up-wayne-routledge-deal
    would seem like a daft thing for us to do considering we could probably get at least our money back in the summer.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM

We should be playing 2 up top against Blackpool.

I would plump for:

Krul
    Simmo – Collo – Willo – Bull
    Tiote
    Bartoon – Nolan – Jonas
    Strolla – Ranger

Subs:
    Soderberg, Saylor, Raylor, Ferguson, Guthrie, Ireland, McLoven

• Flood

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I’m not sure Taiwo is going to swap champions league football to sit on our bench! i think realistically we should do all we can to keep enrique! and bring in decent enough cover! that young lb is alrite but he should be nowhere near the nufc first team!

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Our Midfield will be brilliant with everyone fit:

CM – Tiote, Barton, Nolan, Gosling, Guthrie (I’m his biggest critic, he’s one playing for his future and he’s certainly fortified his chances recently).

AM – Ben Arfa, Ireland.

Just need to keep them all fit and few could match that in-depth quality.

I’ve never been so stoked by a draw before! 😀

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

steve1980 you know nowt about football Steve Taylor is a much better CB than Williamson (who has done a great job & at the moment can’t be dropped) Next season S Taylor will be the number 1 choice at CB. He will also play for England within the next 3 seasons

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Saylor should be kept, but he gives me the jitters when in our backline. It’s not an individual sport and if a defence works collectively, understands each others game, that’s the basis for a solid back four. Consistency is the key, Saylor can be erratic.

• Elfy_Toon

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM

@Geordierob, your right, i’d think it more likely that ireland will stay benched and nolan would start though as guthrie has played well in midfield. maybe swap him for ireland at the break depending on the game.

• Flood

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

We have so much options in midfield…

I’ like us to play a 4-5-1 next year based on the depth of our midfield…..

—————-tiote——-gosling/guthrie———-

Barton ————-Nolan————–Hatem/guti

• alka

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Geordiedoonsouth I take it that you mean Steve Taylor will be playing netball for England due to his ability to handle the ball

• WWJBD

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM

@geordiedoonsooth, I think Collo will still be our no 1 CB next season but I expect Taylor to push Williamson out. Although I don’t believe he is better, probably on par but offers different strenghts and weaknesses.

Taylor needs to start working harder though for me. I also doubt he will make the england squad

• toonfan09

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM

willo is the better cb to partner collo he made some important tackles and interceptions for us yestarday when i see taylor on the pitch i just dont feel as safe

• Flood

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM

hold on… am i reading this right? geordiedoonsouth t saying steve taylor will play for england in the enxt 3 years? thats craziness!

taylor is prone to an error as is willo! e.g. willo’s mistake in the first 2 minutes! Ideally i’d like to bring in a new cb! bassong??

• GeordieGerman

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

First chance I’ve had to come on since the game last night. I only had 5 hours sleep because of having early shift. But instead of being a miserable basket, as I am normally through lack of sleep, I was happy as a lark. As I said to a workmate I don’t feel as if we only got a draw, I felt as if it was a win. With all our injuries and barred player I was expecting a thrashing last night (as I think a few of us were). We (the team) played brilliantly and even if one or two of them stood out or one or two of them made a mistake or two, I couldn’t/wouldn’t pick one out it was a team effort yesterday and I praise every single one of them.