Stunned Michael Owen – You Don’t Know The Facts

We were surprised that Michael Owen was introduced into the game last night by Alex Ferguson.

Michael Owen – close your eyes and I’ll kiss you, tomorrow I’ll miss you

Usually Alex knows when to play players and when to keep them on the bench, and perhaps he didn’t know the feelings of Newcastle fans about Michael Owen.

Michael became the pin-up boy of everything that was wrong about the Newcastle players in their relegation season, two years ago.

Too many players were at the club for the huge wages the club used to dole out, and when push came to shove that season, a lot of Newcastle players disappeared in games.

Newcastle paid out £16M for Michael from Real Madrid in August of 2005, and around £110K/week, and that was probably the worst financial deal ever made in PL history, and  by Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle Chairman at the time.

Yet it wasn’t all Michael’s fault, because he was injured a lot of the time – but usually when playing for England – which he seemed to give more priority to,  than playing for Newcastle, the club who paid his enormous wages.

The way he quietly disappeared from Tyneside,. without saying a word, two days after the club was relegated, will always be remembered, as his helicopter took off and headed west to his Chesire home – and Michael was never to be seen again – until last night.

And he was the Newcastle captain by the way.

This is what Michael said on his twitter account after the game last night:

“I knew I would get booed as that’s what a lot of fans do but if they knew the facts then they may have a different opinion”

“From a personal point of view it was nice to get on. Got a poor reception off the home fans which was disappointing. Was desperate to score!”

“Disappointing result but credit to Newcastle, they played well and put us under plenty of pressure especially in the first half an hour.”

“From what most of you Newcastle fans are saying you should be pleased I left the club! If i had known that earlier I could have left sooner!”

“For the record, I tried my best in every game for Newcastle. Under Kevin Keegan I played well and I’ll never forget the 2 I scored against Sunderland.”

“When I meet Newcastle or Liverpool fans they all respect what I’ve done for their clubs. In stadiums it changes, one boos and the rest follow.”

“By the way, I’m not looking for sympathy. As long as my family don’t boo me when I walk through the door I couldn’t care less!!!”

Some Newcastle fans were seen waving 20 pound notes, signifying he was only on Tyneside for the money, and they never ever took to the player, who was far too political in his interviews, and you never really knew what he was really thinking.

Still don’t.

The TV commentator Ian Darke, who was giving the commentary with Steven McManaman over here on ESPN, said he didn’t realize Owen was so unpopular on Tyneside.

And when Newcastle fans started chanting about Owen being greedy, Michael looked genuinely shocked and embarrassed.

In Newcastle’s time of need two years ago. Owen  never stepped up to the plate for Newcastle, and since then he has disappeared on the Red Devils bench and hardly plays for the Red Devils.

Last night was only his 7th PL appearance of the season, and he has one goal, and has dropped so far down the charts as a football player, it’s almost unbelievable.

He’ll be looking for another club in the summer, as his two year deal with Manchester United is up, but surely he should go to some side like Bolton or Stoke, where at least he would get a game regularly.

Anybody who is willing to sit on the bench for a club, and pick up his wages and trophies when he hardly ever plays, has to have suspect ambitions.

Certainly Newcastle fans showed Michael and anybody else who was watching last night, that they think Michael Owen is very suspect in what he plays the game for, these days.

And it cannot be to show his skills because he never plays.

And they even have the proof with Michael’s time on Tyneside, where he had only 79 appearances and 30 goals over four seasons at Newcastle, when he cost the club around £39M in transfer fees and wages over that period.

Some readers criticized my recent article saying he cost Newcastle £1.3M a goal, because Newcastle are reported to have received £10M from the FA for his serious knee injury he picked up during the 2006 World Cup in Germany, after missing a big chunk of the previous season on Tyneside.

OK, then make that £1M per goal if you take that into account – it hardly makes a difference.

• davybtoon

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

for me in the summer we should do a double bid for sow n gervinho from lille and a double bid for lens and that hungrian winger from psv with the additions of ireland, larson n elmander plus a left n centre half we would have really strong team am really excited for this transfer window

• davybtoon

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

when fully fit are sqaud is really strong but its the lack of qaulity in the back up players were we struggle my sqaud for next season

GK: krul, harper, forster
    RB:simpson, tavernier, rtaylor
    CB:williamson, kadar, colocini, staylor, ?
    LB:mbengue, jose(hopefully), dummitt
    RM:gervinho, larrson
    CM:barton, nolan, tiote, gosling, ireland, vukic
    LM:jonas, ferguson, perotti/dzuzdlek(from psv)
    ST:ben arfa, best, sow, elmander, ranger, airey

• WWJBD

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Have to say I did feel for Owen last night. Fergy knew what he was doing when he introduced him to the match hoping that it would distract the players because of the reception Owen would receive.

A lot of people were talking in earlier blogs that Barton went and gave him a earful, personally I saw it differently. It seemed to me that Barton gave Owen some sympathy (he has felt the almighty boos before).

Am not a Owen fan because of how his time was at Newcastle but I don’t blame him for how much he cost us, he simply signed a good contract. His heart wasent playing for NUFC and it showed. I doubt he wanted to be with us for as long but due to injuries no one else wanted to pay for him.

Good player but couldn’t show it for us due to multiple injuries and lack of heart.

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM

he is mr greedy of EPL

• Indian Magpie

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM

of course we did recieve some money from FA after his injury in the world cup of 2006

• Davies

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Shame it didn’t work out with Owen. He was a cracking little player before he started getting injured. He still had quite a lot of quality left before he got crocked in the World cup as well. Couldn’t have happened at a worse time in his career either.

I agree with Ed, though; for the money he was getting paid, he showed way to little passion for the shirt, especially in his last season here.

Has anybody noticed just how similar Nolan is becoming to Owen (when he was still good) with his play and his goal poaching?

• Todd-USA

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Anyone know what the chant was? I also heard the commentators talking about it, but I couldn’t tell what the crowd was saying.

• Toonmania

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Apparently “king kenny” what a name!! wants to take him back to anfield, i’m positive now he wants the team that got us religated he’ll be after obi martins next

• GeordieRob

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

(An aside)

The website is generating an ad for season tickets for Man U next season. Can’t help thinking they pick the wrong website for that ad!

• PoolieToon

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

If Owen aparently give it his all every game (which isn’t that many if he’s honest) then he just admitted that he is 1 of the poorest quality players that has ever put on a black and white shirt. and we give 1 to Bramble!!

• WWJBD

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I’d like to see Owen back at liverpool tbh. I think he would find his love of the game again if he went back there

I think it was real madrid that killed his footballing soul. They bought him as a star but never really rated him, he didn’t enjoy there style of football and got very few chances. If he had stayed in england he would be a different player today.

I remember him being the next big english player a while back and look at him now

• Brutooon

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

He shud join hull city than man utd last season

• MacToon

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Thanks Ed for reading my reply about £1.3 mill/goal article, indeed we did get £10 mil compo and it actually changed the FA’s insurance policy in these situations.

Like you say though it made little difference (just more factual) and his reception last night should not have come as such a big suprise for the little waster. He also seemed the least committed on the pitch last night too.

Well done the TOON and lets push on as every place in the prem is extra £millions in the bank for Ashley to play with.

• Spitfire

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Sums up him and his time at Newcastle really!

• beefman13

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

WHAT GOT ME ABOUT MR MONEYBAGS WAS THE WAY HE SAID GET ME THE BALL AND I WILL SCORE YOU GOALS, WELL IN THE LAST 12 GAMES HE GOT THE BALL AND SCORED 1 GOAL WAS IT. NEARLY SKINT THE CLUB FOR THAT.

• MonsterMagnet

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM

The chant was ‘there’s only one greedy b*stard.’

• Flood

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Ed, there’s a good mirror article where it shows a transcript of the holt (journalist) tweeting with owen asking him to explain the facts!

it seems to me owen isnt happy how the media portrayed him as a money grabbing “clown”, well news to you michael you are just that!

• toonturtle

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

One of the biggest wasters ever to set foot at St James, he didn’t want to be here and only came because we offered megabucks. What did we get from him? Nowt.

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM

The really sad thing about this story is that Owen actually spoke out about the reaction of the fans, 2 years after jumping ship from the club that helped him through his injury nightmares.

In 5 years he was with us, including a number of years when he was captain, he never tried to communicate or in any way connect with the fans…And 2 years down the line he suddenly says that ‘we didn’t know the facts’.

Perhaps he should have communicated those facts to us during his five years of monastic silence whilst at the club 🙁

Having said that, am one very proud Geordie today after the performance by the team last night! And nothing is going to detract from that! 🙂

• toonster88

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM

owen’s a tw@t for playing and leaving for money…but he wasnt a geordie you know so the betrayal seems less than what andy did to us…but hats off to the team.we dont need these chumps.we played like heroes last nite.am proud

• connor_nufc

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Theres only one greedy b*stard

• lee-nufc

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Howay man he isn’t th second richest English footballer 4 no reason. Always been a money grabbin c**t. Took th club 4 a mug IMO. He always put England first

• thepict

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. Personally I think he got off lightly. Horrible little scumbag

• Burni

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I’m glad that most people share the same opinion as me! I booed that piece of …. As hard as I could last nite

Love it how he said most fans like him and in a stadium one boos and the rest follow!! No Michael, every single person in the stadium, even the old people on either side of me booed you the second you stepped on the pitch!

What facts is he talking about that we paid so much for him? that he was awful? Or that he left as soon as we were relegated? No mate we booed coz we do know the facts u whingy scouse git!!!!!

• toonbrother

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Owen was a disaster. What made it worse was the sequence of managers including (as much as i love the man) Alan Shearer who didnt have the balls to drop him for hungrier more effective strikers like Martins. I wish him all the best but I am sooooo glad he is gone for good