Stephen Ireland – Newcastle Already Have World Class Players

We were surprised that Stephen Ireland came out after the game against Manchester United, and seemed to wax lyrical about the Newcastle club and the Newcastle fans.

Stephen Ireland – seems really happy on Tyneside

We are absolutely certain that Stephen is desperate to become a permanent Newcastle player, and he is only too willing to sign a deal at Newcastle if the club offers him a contract in the summer.

The transfer fee will already have been set by Aston Villa and Newcastle in the loan agreement, and by all reports it is around £8M.

Ireland has talked today with the local Newcastle press corps:

“I am here on loan for the next six weeks and it is in my hands what happens.” “I cannot comment too much on my future or where I will be next year.”

“That part is out of my hands.”“What is in my hands is the fact I can work hard and play the best I can.”  “The team is amazing here.” “When you are on the outside looking in you wonder ‘is he a good player?’”

“However, when you are on the inside you see some of the players here are world class.”  “They are good players and genuinely gifted.” “The whole squad works really, really hard.”

“I am impressed by everybody at the club and hopefully I can just help continue that good work.”

We always said we always wanted players at Newcastle who want to play for the famous Tyneside club.

And while we don’t know if Newcastle will sign Stephen in the summer, he certainly meets the criteria of somebody who is just dying to come to Tyneside and play for the club.

That’s got to be good.

• carrollsinger

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Sweet comments stevie boy now get a goal today please hopefully he will start in cm with tiote and Nolan behind shola and drop loven

• carrollsinger

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Oh and 1st hahahaha 2nd time in a week! Get in

• estechco

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Ed: I’m pretty certain the deal specifically said that NO price had been agreed when he arrived on loan

• Lee Dodd

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Stephen Ireland Did look a class act when he came on on Tuesday Night But is He Worth £8 Million ?? Maybe £5 Million !!!!! He Needs To Score a Goal or 2 .. Tonk Blackpool and Then Birmingham Next Week !!!!

• lloydie780

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Everyone keeps saying he shed great touches and did well when he came on. I saw none of that, i saw him running alot (he seemed very slow) and getting about but very little achieved, just saw the game out really. His turn was nice, but did he score? no. I think people have just jumped on the bandwagin saying he looked great when in reality he did very little. If he can still play like he used to for City i would take him, but based on Utd game most definately NOT!

• torontoonarmy

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

You must have been watching a different game to me Lloydie780. I thought Ireland did really well and that shot on the turn was brilliant. I think a bid of 5 mill. will get him.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM

lloydie780
    I agree mate,he didn`t look that impressive but from his City days i know he is a class player but his HEED is up his yoohoo.
    He had some nice touches but was running after the ball more than having it and of course off the pace which is natural

• Lee Dodd

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Lets Get One Thing Straight Here he has Been out Since 2010 Injured etc so the first game back was against Man Utd so He did well for his first game back !!!!! he is BetterThan the Likes of Routledge etc get Him Signed up we will have a strong Midfiled 2011/2012 season just need 3 or 4 new centre forwards Now !!!!!! Maybe a New Defender or 2 !!!!!

• lloydie780

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I totally agree class player and understand it’s his first game, he has been injured, had no form etc but i just dont get where all these comments of looked a class player came from, great player but to be realistic everything bar the classy turn he did any other player could have done. I hope he finds form with us and i hope we do sign him for £5mil but. . . . .i dont get how he played well. . . .he did nothing.

• DanNUFC

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

lloydie…

i must say i was at the match on tuesday and he was a lot better than your making him out to be. he got in some great positions and the only reason he didnt get an assist is because Ranger was playing infront of him. once ranger started then stopped his run, and Ireland put the ball into what would have been his path had he continued, leaving him through on goal, and another time Ireland expertly took a ball down that came over his shoulder, but this time could not make a through ball because Ranger was way too close to him. i think when he has a more experienced striker in front of him you will see just how good he is at taking up those kind of positions, and hopefully his passes will come off if someone actually makes the correct movement infront of him

• P.I.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I thought Ireland did OK. Like everyone’s saying it’s understandable he was possibly off the pace due to being out injured for so long.
    He wasnt on the ball much or controlling things especially but I wont judge him on this game alone.
    IF he can get back to the quality he showed while at Man City then yes, sign him immediately.
    It’s a gamble though and at £5-£8m could be a costly one. We’ve been there before.
    Perosnally i think Krajcaar at £3-£5m would be a much better option (if we can get him).

• lloydie780

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

O well . . . . .just my opinon but just cant see all these ‘great touches’ he had etc. Really should have bought a proper striker to benefit from him and Ben Arfa. . . . bring on next season.

• Dyer8

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:51 PM

hm…

Gervinho..Ben Arfa…Jarvis
    ……………..Caicedo

or

Gervinho..Ireland..Ben Arfa
    ……………..Caicedo

• davis_toons

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Ireland…still needs time to get back to fitness. For me, 8 million is slighly over.

He needs to prove himselves now that he is fitter.

• davis_toons

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

One thing about this guy is that he knows how to pass the ball and play the ball to the right person at the right time.

Defence spliting pass was what i have seen from him. On the right side of midfield, seeing Guti free on the left, put a long pass to him and off Guti goes.