Chris Hughton – Once I Walked Into The Office I Knew

We put out an article yesterday comparing the 17 games both Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew have managed Newcastle in the league this season, and the two records are remarkably similar.

Chris Hughton – while manager of Newcastle

Chris did a great job for the Newcastle club and there was upset amongst the Newcastle fans when he was sacked last December following the 3-1 defeat at WBA, but the side were still in a decent 11th place, but going through a bad spell.

In the 5 games since beating Arsenal 1-0 at the Emirates Stadium, Newcastle had two draws and three defeats, so just 2 points from a possible 15.

But the Arsenal win was the third in a row for Newcastle, after the lads had won against West Ham 2-1 at Upton Park, and then they thrashed Sunderland 5-1 in an historic win at St. Jame’s Park, so the timing of Chris’ sacking was not good.

It even looked like Ashley and company were looking for the time when they could fire Chris.

As we all know, Chris performed miracles last season and got Newcastle a massive 102 points in the Championship.

Newcastle didn’t just get promoted last season, they won the league easily, and that was great news and a great accomplishment for the Newcastle United club.

This is what Chris said today about his time at Newcastle and the sacking:

“There isn’t a day that goes past when you don’t think, ‘Could I have done anything better? What were the reasons?’ because I don’t know,”“I reached all the targets that were set and surpassed them.”

“We had an incredible season in the Championship, there was a feel-good factor in the club and once you get to that stage it makes it even more difficult. The only good thing for me is I can look back and for football reasons I hadn’t under-achieved.”

“In any walk of life if there’s someone who doesn’t like you or want you, there isn’t too much you can do about it. It’s a horrible thing to happen to anybody.” “On the day it was very much a shock,”

“Once I walked into the office I knew. In hindsight, I’d had some difficulties – I hadn’t got a new contract, I’d lost my assistant and hadn’t been able to replace him. There were signs.”

We had talked yesterday that we’d love to see Chris Hughton return to Newcastle as manager of another Premier League club, and if that ever happens, Chris can look forward to a magnificent reception from the Newcastle fans.

It will be as good as the reception of a certain Michael Owen last week was not good.

That’s because  Newcastle fans are very clear about what managers and players alike have achieved for the Newcastle club, and how much they put their hearts into the job on Tyneside.

• aussietoonfan

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

1st????

• aussietoonfan

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Finally whoo-hoo!!!

• WELSH TOON ™

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Personally I think CH was a real nice guy but not a manager, his tactics were terrible, his substitutions were always late and he played lots of long ball football. Since AP has been here we have played more attractive passing football and are set-pieces have improved, I can’t wait till next season when we get a decent forward in, that must be priority.

• ASTORIA

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

CH has got class, the people who didn’t want him have none, especially Llambias.

• aussietoonfan

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Unfortunate for the bloke after all he had done. Must move with the times. Support the new BUT NEVER forget the old! Players AND managers Mr. Owen!!!

• DerkaSayWhat

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Sergio Ramos, the Real Madrid player who dropped the Copa del Rey cup off the bus has said that he want’s to join sunderland……to make sure he never does it again

• terencelim

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Being honest, CH and AP are both shit, but I still prefer CH, at least he didn’t talk that much of bollocks.

• solano

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

There we have it from CH…..a thoroughly decent human being, a football man through and through and a more than decent record….that someone at the club didn’t “like” him…..wonder who that could be?? The football expert Derek Llambias or the Fat Controller Mike Ashley……..in Those We
    Trust?

• WELSH TOON ™

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM

@ terencelim

AP does talk to much but I think he’s a better manager than CH. Not by much though.

• connor_nufc

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Haha nice joke

• roshan MAGPIE

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

this world is not for good guys

• magpie999

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM

WHO CARES?

Why are we still talking about Houghton???

If Houghton was such a great manager why has he still not got a job?

Yes he was a nice guy but from what I’ve seen Pardew is a better manager.

Can’t believe we’re still talking about Chris….get over it for gods sake.

• The Entertainers

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM

We still talk about hughton because he was very good for the club and will ‘be’ fondly remembered by most if Newcastle uniteds loyal fans!
    Football is not only about now and tomorrow, it’s about everything that encompasses us as a team and that includes Hughton.
    Do we just forget about the greats like Shearer, Robson, Keegan, Ginola, Sir Les etc
    Of course not, forgetting about our past Is forgetting about who we are and where we’ve come from! Dreaming about the future is good, but tomorrows games is the next ones history.

• magpie999

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM

You’re trying to compare Houghtons achievements to what Shearer, Robson, Keegan, Ginola, Les did for this club?? Really.

yes thank you for getting us back to the Premier League, although i honestly believe there are probably 10 dozen managers in the league right now could have achieved the same thing with the players he had at his disposal in what was a shockingly bad league.

Yes thanks Chris for your time but I don’t see why we should still be talking about you now.

He gets more air time on here than any of the legends you just mentioned.

get yourself another job Chris and lets really put to the test how good you are as a manager.

• Davies

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I liked CH and I think he did deserve a full season. My only concern would have been that he may have lost his way we’d have got on his back big time. I remember saying at the time, we were on bad result away from sliding down the table quite badly, such is the close nature of the league this season.

With the team we had in the Championship, I don’t really think there are that many coaches who couldn’t have brought us back up. I think perhaps that embracing the “player power” committee that came out of the Leyton Orient match helped a lot and maybe a lot of managers wouldn’t have gone for it, but let’s be honest; we were a premier league side playing in the Championship.

Pardew may talk too much, but at least he talks, and he is an experienced manager, whatever you think of his record.

It’s all academic now anyway.

• Lee Dodd

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Yes We Would Love to Have Keegan or Bobby etc Then Chris But We have to Move on with the Times . I would Like to See Jose Mourineo at Newcastle as we all Know the Love He Has For Newcastle United because Of Bobby …… Now Could Ashley Handle Him ?? Now There is a Manager for Newcastle United !!!!! Big Style !!!!!! And HE CAN TALK THE TALK !!!!!!!

• The Entertainers

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM

My point still stands, your question was who cares?
    Clearly I do and alot of other fans do too, we appreciate the work he did and deserves to be remembered.
    It’s simple, if I don’t appreciate the work or time he spent at the club, don’t write on the article about him.

• chuck

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Pardew could`nt manage a good bowel movement, but he could talk about who was to blame for it, guys a moron !
    Yeah i know some of you idiots think he`s a good manager, time will tell.
    An Ashley “yes man”
    An alliance of Ashley, Llambias and Pardew, can only end up in tears, the blind being led by the incompetent .

• Sav

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I presume you are chuck because you advocate throwing the baby out with the bath water?
    Pardew is not the problem and our weaknesses won’t be fixed by ‘new manager’ syndrome.
    Just because Llambias and Ca$hley appointed Pardew, does not mean he is a bad manager, just as it didn’t mean Hoots was bad. If not to oversee significant investment, what was the reason for making the last managerial switch? – presumably they didn’t have faith in Houghton’s transfer ability. So lets give Pardew a chance and look forward to a big-spending summer.

• ONLINE GUY

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:29 AM

It’s Late and I have just read Ed’s comment’s.

And Chris’s comment’s.

My thought’s are the planned and upcoming sale of Andy Carroll was on the cards and Mr Ashley needed a yes man ..Chris would have kicked off as the manager in situ and in the job, and could blame the sale and any trouble Newcastle got into on the sale of Andy.. ..Pardew as a new manager would not have even had time to acclimatize…and in the Managers chair a matter of weeks, would not really have much clout with the public and the owner..or would at least be in a weak position to protest ..So in effect a yes man created by Ashley.
    Pardew indeed placed in a disgraceful position by Ashley …
    Thinking about it Ashley is a really clever
    Bas t*rd…and has no Loyalty and no sentiment ..I suppose thats what has made him one of the richest people on the planet ..No Heart.

• BillBurch

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Some of the people on here go all teary-eyed about Chris Hughton but why? He was a good guy sure but just like some players he was not Premiership class! He did well in the Championship but not in the Prem! Everyone has their limits and as someone has already mentioned, he is still unemployed. Of course he will get a good reception if he ever comes back to St James Park and would deserve it but I could never visualise him managing a Prem team in Europe and certainly not in the Champions League!

• John Hoy

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Trust Ed Harrison to regurgitate more Hughton ‘news’. If it wasn’t for newsnow, Ed would know nothing about the club.

• swoopingmagpie

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Chris Hughton built a team that Pardew inherited – a team he didn’t want to see dismantled. Thats why he got the boot ! If he was still the manager , he would have continued to improved it because the players were behind him and gave him 100pc; something they could never give to Pardew because he is a liar like his boss. Yes the players will say this and that in apparent support for Pardew but I’m betting they are paid to back the regime in place so they are all speaking with a forked tongue. Can you build a club that has not a shread of intregrity with those who rule it – not a chance. Chris Hughton is the exact opposite of that. That is why footballers wanted to play for us, they saw in Chris Hughton someone who would back them and deal honestly with them. Lets see how many top professionals will come to our club in the summer window. They will know that we are a selling club where they will have no future long term. It breaks my heart to say those things but that is what I honestly believe about the owner and his henchmen.

• toonster88

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

i havent been the best fan of CH.i dont highly regard him.is he the best manager ever???NO..!!absolutely not…but i must…I MUST…praise him for one work that he’s done for club and city…and thats bringing us back to the premier league…we had a lot of famous managers in the last days of 08-09 season.but i doubt if anyone could have done the greatness that CH has done for us.he isnt the best…but for saving us from the shame of relegation and making a team out of the boys he deserves a little bit of respect from all of us.