Liverpool Eye Joey Barton – But He’s an Evertonian

There is a report in Sky Sports News today, that Liverpool may be keen on Newcastle United’s top midfielder Joey Barton.

Joey Barton – would he ever sign for Liverpool?

Joey came out only yesterday to say that he wanted to stay on Tyneside, and that he would likely sign a new contract at Newcastle, once captain Kevin Nolan – a Liverpudlian – signed his new deal.

And we expect both players to sign new deals in the summer, but that wouldn’t stop Liverpool coming along and offering Newcastle big money for Joey Barton, as well as a possible bid for Jose Enrique, whose contract also runs out in 14 months time.

And as we all found out from the Andy Carroll deal, if it’s a big enough offer from Liverpool, owner Mike Ashley will likely accept it.

But with £35M still available from the Andy Carroll sale, Newcastle need players, and not more money from the players they already have.

Newcastle will find it difficult to spend the £35M they already have this summer, since they will again be after some good deals in the transfer market.

But it’s also good that other big clubs are interested in some of the Newcastle players, because that in itself says the club already have some very decent players in their ranks,

But of course Joey comes from the blue side of Liverpool, and famously objected once to a reporter when he called him a Liverpudlian, and demanded to be called an Evertonian.

We wonder if this guy would ever sign for Liverpool?

• Young_Mag

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hope not .. I hate Liverpool with a f***ing passion, really hope he beat the scouse lot this weekend!

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Dont believe it, Barton wouldnt exactly walk into the Liverpool first team.

There is talk going around that Ireland maybe be doubtful for the Liverpool game, anyone got any more info?

• Danj_008

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Why doesn’t Liverpool just buy the entire Newcastle Team, seems every week they are linked to one of our players ( being sarcastic of course).. hate liverpool more than I hate Man U..

• cousto

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

think Liverpool just want our squad

• Bucks mag

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Young_Mag – completely agree. I wonder sometimes if I hate them more than the Mackems. Just paper talk though, don’t think Joey would ever join them

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Nolan would be believable. Joey, not a chance.

• Toonboy_84

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM

If the scousers want all of our players then bloody take em …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………Smith, Perch, xisco, kuqi lol

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Hey now Toonboy_84 Kuqi is far too good for the scousers!

• damonmwade

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM

@toonboy_84
    you forgot campbell

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Ireland sustained a leg injury during training, is now likely to miss the liverpool game

• danuneek

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Every player has his price. In the current situation (ie. contract lengths/age/importance to team) I would accept:

Barton £12m
    Enrique £15m
    Tiote £25m
    Nolan £10m
    Jonas & Colo £15m

I think the two Arge’s would have to be valued together as I don’t think they would be happy without the other.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM

What a load of b*ll*cks Barton won’t sign for Liverpool

• GeordieRob

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM

@WWJBD

If it’s true, then I think Ireland’s on his way back to Villa. It’s hard to tell where he was going to fit in with HBA, Nolan as offensive midfielders. When we’re looking at adding Gervinho, it just doesn’t seem like he has a place to play.

Add to that, he’s crocked more than Shola. Not worth the money.

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM

GeordieRob

I got it from Lee Ryders twitter post, Pretty reliable source.

I personally think Ireland could still prove himself for a deal. I have my doubts over HBA to begin with and Nolan is great but steadily declining. Ireland could replace Nolan in my eyes but its all dependant on is fitness issues. Those need to be sorted out first.

Maybe another loan next season with a option to buy come January would be best to go for.

• GeordieRob

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM

@WWJBD.

Sorry mate. Didn’t want to sound like I was questioning the source…

A loan spell sounds ok, but it would have to continue with a pay per play clause. Some players just never seem to get off the injured list, and Ireland is suspect. I’m am convinced about his ability, not convinced about whether he won’t break down again.

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM

GeordieRob

haha didnt think you were just realised I hadnt put where I got it from.

Yeah I agree. Dont know if Villa would go for it. Or whether we have already agreed to sign him come summer. If we have agreed to sign him he must be willing to drop his wages surely or we wouldnt be looking at getting him?

• sammydolan

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Yep Ireland is out…. and from what I know he isn’t really enjoying it up there… people such as Barton, Nolan and Guthrie not warming to him. Shame

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I don’t like the way that Liverpool are starting to treat us like a feeder club (hoping this one is so not true, mind!).

Wonder if there is an agreement somewhere saying that we will develop young players, or help players with not-so-clean pasts, or rehabilitate injury-prone players and then sell them on at hyper-inflated prices to the reds?

If that is the case, we will be signing Stephen Ireland, because we can rehabilitate him through his injuries, stand by him when he has any ‘outside the football arena’ problems, and then sell him as a clean hassle-free player to Liverpuds in 2 years’ time :p

Funny isn’t it how I seem to recall we had major difficulties trying to sign scouse players (Risse I think?) but they’re faster than a parrot with a rocket stuffed up it rearendo when it comes to buying our players 🙁

• newcastle29

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Ireland out for the rest of season with ankle injury he picked up at blackpool!

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Big blow for our last few games.
    Massive blow to Ireland.

• Brutooon

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM

look at the positive note, we got good players EVEN LiverFOOL want them!

• jimmymagpie

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I told you lot back in February that Ireland wouldn’t start a game for Newcastle because of issues that came to light in his medical, but as usual was castigated by the ones that don’t know my contact with the club. The medical staff at this club leave a lot to be desired, hence the number of young players especially who are permanently injured, and the number of muscle injuries suffered by the playing staff as a whole. But as Joey Barton famously said ‘if you pay peanuts, you get monkies’. Even Ben Arfa found it necessary to go back to France for the whole of this week to do ‘extra conditioning’. Enrique was right when he said that this is the worst run club in the Premier League. What’s the betting that they sign the waste of space Ireland in the summer?

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Having voted ‘No’ on the initial poll, I voted ‘Yes’ on today’s, thinking he’d shaken off his niggles. With this news can I change back to a resounding ‘NO’. The mind boggles if we’re considering negotiating a fee for him!

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Actually jimmymagpie, James Goldsmith famously said the Peanuts quote; I think our Joey perhaps just borrowed it! 😀

• jimmymagpie

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I said that Joey said it – I didn’t say that it originated from him, but boy is it true from Lambsarse, Pardew, downwards, including the third rate medical and conditioning staff.

• Bucks mag

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

As you said Ed, the question about injuries really needs to be asked, it is becoming a massive hindrance. I want to see Pardew answer/do something about it

• Monument Mal

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I wish everyone would stop keep quoting the £35m from the sale of Andy Carroll that Ashley is going to “invest in the club” which all sounds very vague to me to say the least. The taxman took a huge chunk of that on 6th April so there’s a shortfall to start with. I think Pardew needs to wake up and smell the coffee where our intrepid owner is concerned. He’ll see a fraction of that amount if the fat shokeeper keeps to form, and I have no confidence that he’s going to change his ways any time soon

• WWJBD

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

If NUFC wants a world class medical staff they need to look to AC Milan and their Lab of the Gods….if only

But we need to invest in the Medical aspect of NUFC. Rebuild it after it was torn apart a few years ago. Someone needs to explain this to Ashley (I assume its a aspect he hasent considered). From the increased revenue from the EPL the option to improve the staff is a must in order to have a established team.

Ashley is obviously open to improving NUFC (underground heating) he just needs it proved to him that its needed.

• coolcatcarter89

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Thinking about it, now we’re safe, it could be a cunning ploy by us. Announce he’s injured, to decrease his value further, rather than play him in our remaining ‘trivial’ matches, him play excellently and thus his value escalates. 😉

Saying this, I’m sticking with my more rationale instincts, that he is indeed crocked.

• Local Hero

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM

quuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd

• thepict

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Don’t really see Joey going to Liverpool . Would any of you sign for the unwashed ?

• BeeGuy

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Once again, I ask, Where is Liverpool getting all the money to buy all these big names?

• ochytoon

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

@BeeGuy
    Its not actually the owners money, he borrowed it all and has to pay it back, lets hope they go into administration after this summer when they try and pull off a Man City

• Rotonda heights

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Our medical lot have always been useless. Just look at the shaven headed meathead physio we’ve got.

I wonder how many players would have signed for us if Barton wasn’t here. You’d think players would want to come and play alongside the best midfielder in England !!

• Rotonda heights

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

coolcat,

I can’t see anyone at NUFC being that canny. Nice idea though.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

BeeGuy – word has it that the owners have given Dalglish a £50m transfer budget for the summer. Our owner want the club to generate it’s own transfer funds, thus we’ll only attract the second or third tier players, after the usual suspects have had their pick of the top players. Plus, our wage cap, and you can see why even Barton is waiting to see what offers he receives.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Rotonda Heights – there are more players who stay away because Barton is here.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Hi jimmymagpie. We have already generated our own summer transfer fund – the 30 or 35 million received for AC? Surely you’re not suggesting the owner would lie to us about how much money he will spend on the squad? I also think Jose will leave unfortunately. I think some part of the transfer fees will go on players. We will bring in a striker and a RW at least. How good they are is another question. If Jose goes we will bring in a left back as well.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Geordie two – agreed, we may have £30m to spend on the squad, but remember this has to cover fees, agents’ commission, vat. players signing on fees and wages, and insurance premiums. Enough perhaps to purchase two reasonably priced players, providing they are prepared to accept the wages on offer. Pardew admits that two of the four players he believes he needs are free transfers at the end of their contracts. Not quite the transfer splash that some were expecting.