If I Have To Continue At Newcastle I’m Happy – Jose Enrique

The 25-year-old left back at Newcastle, Jose Enrique, has given an interview today to the BBC.

Jose Enrique – we hope Jose stays at Newcastle

And Jose says he’s happy at Newcastle, but will decide his future at the end of the season.

Let’s take a look at what Jose said to BBC Late Kick Off:

“I’m just concentrating on playing for Newcastle,” “We haven’t spoken about contracts yet – I don’t want to say more about that,”

“I’m happy with that and I’m very happy here. I know there are a few difficult things at Newcastle, but we the players don’t have to think about that.”

“If I have to continue here at Newcastle, I’m happy. If I have to go to another club, I’m happy in England. If I have to go to another league, I’m happy.”

“I just want to play football – it’s my life and it’s best for me.”  “This team has fight,” . “It’s hard for players like me, Jonas Gutierrez, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan – we’ve played with big names before.

“But a lot has changed. Before, we had players like Mark Viduka, and now we have players like Williamson and Perch – players who have played in the Championship and they fight to play in the Premier League.”

“We’re doing well, we had Michael Owen and players like that and we were relegated, but with this team we will stay in the division.”

There’s a little bit of criticism that Newcastle don’t have the top players they had during the relegation season,  but a fat lot of good they did two years ago for the Tyneside club, and at least Jose points out that the team now has spirit and fight and and will stay in the Premier League.

Not exactly sure what Jose means when the says there are a few difficult things at Newcastle, but maybe that’s a reference to owner Mike Ashley, but maybe not.

We don’t know if some of the above statements from Jose are code for the fact he will move on in the summer, because he also says if he has to go to another club he’ll be happy.

But why would he need to go to another club if Newcastle offer him around £50K/week, which is basically what Cheick Tiote got recently from Newcastle in a huge six and a half year contract, and maybe if Newcastle offered Hose a similar long term deal he would take it?

We don’t know if Jose is on his way or not, but the local papers say that Newcastle have given up the ghost on keeping Jose.

But they’ve been wrong before, and we would be delighted if Jose decides to stay at Newcastle.   And if he does he’ll be little short of a hero to Newcastle fans, who put a huge weight on players being loyal to Newcastle United.

Here’s hoping.

If you want to send a message to Jose to ask him to stay with Newcastle, and help make us great again,  you can do so here.

• Dude

May 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM

We had players like Mark Viduka and Michael Owen … give me strength …

• mark9403newcastle

May 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM

unfortunately this article fill me with no confidence! The lad is leaving us but we’ll get some good money for him!

I really dont think its a step up for Enrique! Liverpool beat us 3-0 at the weekend and there a better team than us this season, but i dont see them getting champions league anytime soon plus Newcastle could make moves if the money is invested wisely!

I think we’ll get about 15m for him in the summer and a new left back will cost no where near that much, i dont place that much emphasis on full back positions and wouldnt splash out on them unless your a man city and the money is there!

• CT

May 3, 2011 at 3:56 PM

That`s it then, he`s off. Tell the truth last 5 games he`s looked a liability and overplayed. Him and Williamson have cost us goals. Bring in Fergie and Saylor for B`ham and show them if they don`t put it in they will be dropped!!

• fungus44

May 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM

he,s only quoting the player,s we had when we went down andthe ones now who have more fight than the so called star,s we had and that there is more team spirit , who all work for each other

• gazza going fishing

May 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

If i HAVE to stay at newcastle. That says everythink if my opinion, adios el toro..

• roshan MAGPIE

May 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

if he wanted to stay at NUFC then he should have said tat he would nt like to leave NUFC for life

• sumo

May 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Jose is by a country mile the best fullback weve had in the premiership, i will be gutted if he goes but thats part and parcel of football.If he had more playing time earlier in his newcastle career instead of nzobia being messed about by playing fullback then he would of developed much earlier than he did

• Jarra Mag

May 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I’m reading that as a very plain “come and get me” statement. The only surprise is that it didn’t come from his agent, which is the norm. Let’s be honest though – he’s right in hinting that Perch and Williamson should be squad players rather than mainstays within the team. Again, I’m surprised he actually said this. Well, that’s more money for Mr Ashley [on top of my 10 year agreement for a pair of season tickets] and if Mr Keegan is right, the funds won’t turn in to [better] players. Personally, I think the Bull has been playing for a transfer at Christmas – too many Hollywood passes going astray, too casual on the ball and caught in posession too many times for me. A good servant though and he will be a miss – his best playing years are ahead of him. Full marks though for sticking with us when we went down. It’s a pity that the “trophy signings” he is wanting us to make are the reason why we got relegated – all bank account and no balls.

• ganiyu

May 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM

He is free to go and continue his ambitions elsewhere.no need to beg.newcastle can do better than him.i believe we would acquire better replacements for all the players we lost.i trust in ashley

• NorseToonBrann

May 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM

..Krul\Harper\Forster
    Simpson Tayls Colo Jose
    ……..tiote barton
    (?) BenArfa Jonas
    ………….. (?)

We need two class players(if jose stays)
    season 2012\2013 will be the season we aim for europe.I for one hope for players like Larsson and Elmander to join the rotation. If we were to get one class player (like tiote\gameiro) in addition to the striker and winger, I truly believe we can achieve much next season.
    Also im sure we can manage by spending 15m tops. Maybe have some backup-cash in the january window of 2012.
    I’m sayin.. Look at the team above.. Stay positive;) HWTL

• GeordieGerman

May 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I’m a bit worried about the “It’s hard for players like me, Jonas Gutierrez, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan – we’ve played with big names before”.

Jonas next? Howay man Ashley, read between the lines. Jose will stay if you do the biz.

• DarloGeordie

May 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM

He is gone his lass told me lastnight when she was like “si si si Darlo….. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii”

• NorseToonBrann

May 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Of course.. The Larsson and Elmander type is not same as class. Merly squad players. Point is we need al bunch of the freebies due to our injury problems…… correctomundo

• GeordieGerman

May 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

DarloGeordie, your spelling is atrocious. Anyway did you see it?

• awc88

May 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Lets be honest all the signs are hes is going, and who can really blame him, we saw signs of improvement this season and they sacked the manager sold our best player and despite the fact the say they will re invest and do this and that we have heard all this before part of their “exercises in public realations” good luck to him i opnly ish it were that easy for the fans to jump ship

• Nolan96

May 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

The video interview was encouraging when he spoke about the fans but when the contract was mentioned I became worried.

• GeordieGerman

May 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

For anyone who want’s to see the interview:

• DarloGeordie

May 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM

GG

had a drink n cant be arsed to type… sorry about the grammar but this isn’t an English exam

• DarloGeordie

May 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

GG

thanks for the link though matey

• GeordieGerman

May 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Seeing it, seems as if Ed’s transcript isn’t 100%.

• JGreaves

May 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM

he looks as if he is gone already and hasnt played with his full ability the last 5/6 games, hes just waiting to go. Against Lpool he ran in circles, wouldnt pass and lost the ball many times, which wont help him get an offer from lpool they might be put off by him now

• chuck

May 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM

It`s probably a done deal that he can`t talk about, he`s gone but does`nt want to upset anyone.
    Must have got a decent price for him, otherwise the club would have attempted to get him to sign an extension.
    The only one to say otherwise is Pardew, the same guy who said AC was going nowhere, expect by now nobody is paying much attention to what he says ! soh!

• MacToon

May 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Sounds like he wants the club to be as ambitious as him and for that reason I think he’ll go in the summer.

• JP...from The Rock

May 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM

After seeing the interview I have to say that many fans here are over reacting. Reading what he says sounds worse than actually seeing how he said it. He’s basically saying he wants to play football. He seems happy here and only wants to see the club with some ambition and buy well in the summer. It’s the same with Joey Barton. If we do that then he will probably stay.

I think Jose is genuinely happy here but wants to see more progress and ambition from the club that is understandable. He wants better players in the team and so do we all. In summer we will probably buy well and he will sign an extension along with Barton and Nolan. Though if a big money deal came in for him then it could all be like the Carroll saga again.

We have to sign good players like Gervinho etc. quickly and then offer these guys new contracts before the bigger clubs come in for them.

• TheScottishGeordie

May 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM

It’s funny how everyone has gone against Jose but before he was treated like a god. Let’s be honest lads, when he’s at his best he is one of the best in the world and to be honest we can’t let him go.

PLEASE STAY JOSE, YOU COULD BE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND!

• Matthew Tom

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I really hope Jose stays. Fergie is good, but he’s way too young and needs a Jose around to bring him through nicely.

I think he’s off though – this is all about saying to NUFC “offer me a huge wage and I’ll stay”, which his agent will then use to get a higher wage somewhere else.

No point getting upset, he’s shown us a lot of loyalty when he could have manoeuvred for an exit like all the other mercenaries when we got relegated.

• scdoty

May 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

@ganiyu
    We can do better than him. Go on explian.

Thinkn he is one of the best around.

• jonnymcdonald

May 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

@ NorseToonBrann and other people who keep putting their teams up for next season – why do you persist with having Danny Simpson in the team? He is so unreliable defensively, awkward with the ball and not good at going forward!

If people are making Newcastle ‘Dream Teams’ why stick with Simpson?

• Sav

May 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We won’t get 15 million for Jose. Bluntly, he is not that good yet, although he has improved a lot and continues to do so.
    But with one year left – Didn’t L/pool get just 8 mil for Owen from Real Madrid when he left with just a year to go? I’d be surprised if we got much more for Jose so I’d rather if we could keep him. But I for one certainly won’t be sending him any begging letters of signing any petitions.

• craig bell

May 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM

the bulls going im afriad :(. To be fair we cant blame him if he leaves for milan or munich but il be so angry he he goes to the scouse scum

• wynsleap

May 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Mark9403 – “I don’t place that much emphasis on full back positions”?
    The greatest danger to any team is the winger that can go down the bye-line and get round the back of the defence to either cross or cut dangerous balls back for oncoming attackers.
    Enrique’s tremendous body strength means that more often than not he can stop a winger doing this, so he is highly valuable.
    Just because full backs don’t play in glamorous creative or striking roles doesn’t mean we have to accept dross and play it there.
    The Arsenals, Manures and Chelseas of this world understand what good full backs mean to the team.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

interview or not no player in the right mind would slag off the fans they know what to say and what not too. money talks and he knows he can get alot mor somewhere else he has used us as a stepping stone we stuck by him when he was complete sh-it but cheers for your services and please get us some decent cash in top get someone more loyal

• NOVA2967

May 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

we need to keep him. there is no upgrade to letting him leave. he has 7 yrs plus in him of top notch play. let ferguson come in behind him and buy a versitle player who can cover left and right back like hedenstad

• Brutooon

May 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Jose was intentionally going to say “we got player like Ameobi – where how shit he is, he is still a first team player. I need a team who got the guts to remove crap players such as Liverpool (put Ngog at the Bench) “

• PoolieToon

May 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Well that interview definately sealed it, he is gone. First it was 40pts then we will negotiate, that hasn’t happned. Now in this interview he says lets see where we are in the summer. He has no intention of staying, well he can go but for nothing less than the 15mill mark thats being banded about. The players shouldnt be able to call the shots, what good is a contract if a player can just go if he wants to?

• toonincheek

May 4, 2011 at 12:22 AM

PoolieToon,
    As I recall it, Jose always said ‘wait until the end of the season’.

We could insist he stayed to see out his contract – but – we would have a player preferring to leave and maybe not so committed, plus no £ss at the end of the season.

• petey

May 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM

i can see it now “Enrique signs for Madrid after missing his pets which Newcastle refused to sign up on lucrative contract”