Steven Taylor Could Replace Mike Williamson On Saturday

If the truth be told,  Newcastle were just not at the races at all on Sunday afternoon at Anfield.

Steven Taylor – could get starting place Saturday?

Yes, we’ve heard of all the woulda coulda shoulda that you always hear after a defeat, but in truth Newcastle didn’t deserve anything from the game, and they didn’t get anything from the game  either.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has put his best spin on the game:

“It was strange game,” “We had a lot of possession, but they scored after making a fast start. That was really disappointing for us as we thought we had a foothold in the game.”

“But then we had a great spell, passed the ball well and put the emphasis on us rather than them.”

“We lacked a little bit of a killer pass or punch that would hurt them and had a couple of decent chances, but in the second half the second goal was a crucial factor in the result.”

“We had a good chance just before that with Joey (Barton) and felt we had some sort of control of the game. But at 2-0 down it’s a long way to come back from that.”

The critical goal was certainly that second goal 13 minutes into the second half, as Newcastle had played quite well after conceding the first goal after only 10 minutes, to in-form Maxi Rodriguez, the Argentine International.

Newcastle’s players argued the tackle was outside the box, but that’s almost a technicality after Williamson allowed Uruguayan star Suarez to squeeze past him on the bye-line,  and that was a huge error by the 27 year-old former Portsmouth player.

Newcastle must have known that’s a play that Suarez tries all the time, and is very good at, but Mike didn’t seem ready for it.

Alan Pardew was more down to earth and truthful about the second goal when he said this:

“I think it was just outside the box by the look of it, but in all honesty he’s got to deal with that before we even get in that situation,”

With Mike Williamson not having a good game on Sunday and plainly at fault for Liverpool’s second goal, and with Steven Taylor still waiting in the wings,  we wonder if Alan Pardew will give a start to Steven on Saturday against Birmingham City?

It seems that Steven has needed to lose a bit of weight over the last month or so, but he could get a chance on Saturday to show what he can do,  in what is almost a must win game, if Newcastle have any chance at all of finishing in the top 10 this season.

It’s probably a good time for Pardew to take a look at 25 year-old Taylor, but of course Mike Williamson is such a good lad and so professional, that the Stoke-born player usually comes back with a solid performance, after he’s had one of his poorer games.

That’s a call Alan Pardew ill have to make for Saturday’s important game.

What do you think?

• roshan MAGPIE

May 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

just because of one mistake we can t take him out of the squad so i guess PARDEw have to give him a chance

• JAMSHA

May 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM

We should buy falcao. Was jst watchn higlights between fc porto an villareal. Falcao scord hat-trick was world class.

• JAMSHA

May 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I prefer S.TAYLOR along with colo. Taylor can score goalz from conner kicks.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM

i would rather keep williamson he only did 1 mistake if thats the case most of the team should be changed i think taylor would be better at right back cause he does like going forward i think he would struggle to look good back in cb just cause of how good willo and colo have been. and why does pardew take lov off when he is the only 1 that runs about trying unlike shola

• craig bell

May 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM

you guys are in dreamland if you think were gona even attemt to sign him.

• StuW

May 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

@craig bell

have to agree. Porto are a club playing European football, and if he goes anywhere, it will be to a bigger club than Newcastle. Plus, he will cost a fair penny, and is Colombian, and they generally don’t settle into the English game.

• connor_nufc

May 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

All the top european clubs will be looking to sign him . No hope in hell hed wud sign for us

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Williamson was guilty for all 3 goals.

First, a poor clearing header. Second, well… it was obvious. Third, he did not pick up Suarez’s return run into the box for the one two and instead was stood still ball watching, thuogh he wsn’t the only one.

Williamson has been a good signing for us, especially given the small fee we paid for him and the relatively low wage I assume his on. He has done well this season overall, but looked out of his depth against Liverpool.

This isn;t the first time that has happened. I would give the guy a rest on the bench next week to make a point to him that these sort of performances,even if they’re just occasional are not on.

Start Coll and Taylor this weekend and assuming Taylor isn’t awful start him also against Chelsea, as he does better in the big games.

• GeordieRob

May 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

@Craig bell,

Agreed…

He signed for Porto 2 years ago for £4.7m.

Hulk signed 3 years ago for £4.8m.

Both valued over £15m now. Would require a deal more than that to sign either. Just hope Graeme Carr is as good as Porto’s scouts.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM

@clinta3 bet you werent saying that when he played man u which are much better than liverpool why would you want a player playing that didnt want to stay if he didnt get a better wage after a hand full of games in the championship williamson is better he wins many more headers than taylor would do….you saying it was williamsons fault for 1st goal in fact it was bartons for not tracking the player back williamson done his job by headering the ball out of the box thats what he gets paid to do and simmo should have covered at the back to mark suarez’s goal second one willo made contact outside of the box so you dont know nothing really your just putting the blame on 1 player

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Billy,

Firstly, read my post again, I stated that I think Willo overall has been decent for us. While Taylors been out for a while and we haven’t really seen much of him lately, I think he makes less mistakes than Williamson does.

His header for the first goal was an extremely poor one and he should not be heading a ball like that to the edge of the box, he should be heading it away to the side were there is less chance of an opponent getting onto it and putting it in the net- exactly what happened!

The second goal? Come on fool whetehr it was in/out the box is not important, watch it again and tell me a PL defender should of let a striker in on the ball in that situation. Is that how you defend?

I also said he was not the only one to blame for the third goal, but should of done better- wasn’t marking anyone.

Disagree with me fine, we’re all entitled to our own opinions, but spare the ‘you don’t know nothing’ crap when its clear that you knows a hell of a lot less.

• North Atlantic Magpie

May 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Williamsson over STaylor any day. Yes, Taylor has scored a few goals, but he’s sooooo bad in defence. Way to clumsy for PL.
    My advice is to get rid of STaylor. I have more trust in Kadar.

• Rotonda heights

May 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Taylor is no better and probably even more error prone. Taylor thinks he’s Cannavaro though !

I only know 2 columbians in the EPL, Tino and Rodallega, I’d say they both adjusted quite well.

• breadman

May 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM

williamson shld be drop for taylor if he is performing well in training. williamson had a howler against liverpool. we promote meritocracy, not reputation.

i would have drop a lot more players if not for our injury crisis.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

clinta3 funny how people are saying taylor is poor but i do know a hell of a lot considering i played football and im a coach you cant know definately where the ball goes plus he was trying to get in front of the player but he couldnt get there but he still get the ball so whats your problem there my 3 year old could of told you that and yes it was a stupid challenge but rule book says outside the box is free kick and in side pen and challenge was outside third everyone was all over and yes everyone has their oppinion and the first message was my opinion

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Billy1985 what game were you watching it was Williamson’s poor header for the 1st goal his schoolboy defending for the 2nd and he let his man make a run into the box to score the 3rd. He’s had a decent season & has been a good buy at just £1m but I am afraid he just isn’t good enough for the PL. He is a good standby at best Steve Taylor is a much better CB

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM

BTW Billy1985 I also played CB or RB at step 4 level in the pyramid both in the North East and down South. I also have my coaching badges so I think I know a little bit about the game.

• Brutooon

May 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM

This is total BULLS*it

one mistake then williamson is being replace??

how bout the million zillion mistake of AMEOBI ?????????

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Brutooon: Williason has made loads of mistakes this season even though overall I think he has been a good buy. He made 3 mistakes on Sunday

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Billy,

Played a bit did you…?! Who hasn’t, I still play now. Your last bit of rambles all over the place lad, full stops would be nice (.). A goos summary of what you tried to say could be during the 3 goals Willo was either not strong enough on the ball, out-muscled or out of position.

Three things that mean he defended poorly and should do a hell of a lot better as a PL player. If his paid to head clear as in the first goal, perhaps he can ply his trade at CB in the kids team you coach.

• North Atlantic Magpie

May 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Williamsson might be bad but Staylor is so much worse. Get rid of STaylor!!!

• Sav

May 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Both Willo and Staylor are too fond of raising their hands. Simmo saying Williamson was done for pace is complete BS. He had ample time to clear it into the stands but he tried to show it out for a GK and got mugged. And of course, the foul was clearly outside the box but Suarez is savvy and mugged the ref, too.

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

North Atlantic Magpie,

Yes, they both have faults but I think at the end of the day they are both good enough for the PL and players we should be keeping.

Getting rid of either makes no sense as we don’t have enough defenders as it is. Our only CB’s are Coll, Taylor, Willo, Kadar, assuming Big Sol will leave.

I also don;t think we’ll be getting another CB in as well probably need a new LB (or 2) and a second RB. If we’re lucky we might be able to get someone in that can play right across the back 4. (other than Perch!).

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Brutoon,

Not saying he should be replaced permanently. If he proves to be consistently better than Taylor so be it. I just think he should be replaced when he plays poor as should any player so they know that typ of performance isn’t acceptable.

If you don’t punish poor play you allow it to continue over and over again. This has happened far to often at Newcastle- Boumsong Bramble pairing a good example!

• Antoine Sibierski

May 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Please God no, I would rather play with 10 men than have the donkey that is Steven Taylor playing.

• greekgeordie

May 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I very rarely enter in the comments debates, but I feel the comparison of Willo and Taylor is totally unfair to both players. Both are good enough to be retained and both can do an acceptable job next to Colo.
    We are a mid table team with high expectations for the next season, and looking at the teams around us up and including Liverpool who has better defenders that can replace any of our two lads in question? Spurs is the only team that is better in depth but look what they have spent in the last three years. The Liverpool game was a one off and I should take you back to the corresponding fixture at SJP, and I would love your comments on their defence.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

@geordiedoonsooth i didnt say you didnt know nowt about football, and i played too at grimsby town. i cant see how you can blame 1 person for the goals simmo should of covered for williamson and where the hell was colo he wasnt in the box at the time so why arent yous having a go at him……….bet you were calling colo at his first season here because he was terrible and this has been williamsons 1st season in the prem and it hasnt been as bad as colo’s……i was there on sat cause i go to all the games and ALL the players played bad that game not just williamson.

• NUFC STEVE

May 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

IMO Stephen taylor is and will be better than both collo and willo!!!but another reason is we are safe and have nothing to play for so why do we want to play a 28 and 29 year old partnership each week when we have a home-grown just turned 25 year old who has just signed a new 5 year contract sitting on the bench????????????

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM

s taylor isnt a local lad nufcsteve

• NUFC STEVE

May 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

He is as good as cos hes been at the club since he was 9 so he’s more a geordie than a cockney

• chuck

May 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

To have Taylor on the bench while pencilling in a second tier player at best in williamson, says something about Pardew, no ?
    Ok he had a poor outing (Taylor) in his last game , which i believe was due to lack of playing time, but to play Williamson who`s concentration is worse by far than Titus Bramble, a guy who`s distribution and positioning is just awful, says more about the managers role than the players.
    And to listen to fans calling him(Williamson) the best thing since sliced bread, shows a total lack of knowledge about the game.

• Mat

May 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Steven Taylor is a shocking defender. The worst NUFC have at the club. A real shame as he looked so promising in his 1st season in the english prem.

Willo had a poor game against pool, but so did many other players (Ameobi, Loven, Enrique).

Best CB Partnership is by a mile Willo and Collo and i think Pardew may have realised this. He has tried to play steven taylor a few times in the last 5 games or so and he has been the first player to be substituted! he was shcoking in those games; a massive liability to the team.

Cash in on Steven Taylor if someone makes a decent bid!! English players being overpriced could benefit us here.

Keep going Willo!

• JP...from The Rock

May 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I would put S.Taylor back into the team ahead of Williamson to show Taylor he is not forgotten and very much part of the team. It also works as an incentive for Willo to perform even better and to cut out every mistake in his game – that’s not a jab at the guy I think he’s done rea;lly well but these sort of rotations is a win win especially now that we’re safe. Oh and as for Strolla Ameobi he must be the biggest kiss ass managers pet if I ever saw one to still be here at Newcastle and still managing to play EVERY MATCH when fit! WTF!! Play Ranger, Airey even Best on crutches but never again Strolla Ameobi please God no more!!!

Ps. I’ve always liked S.Taylor at RB as he is very good there, but Simpson is doing well I guess.

• Billy1985

May 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM

well said mat least some1 has sense mate

• clinta3

May 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Agreed,

It’d be good to give S.Taylor some much needed playing time in the last few games, I would also try and give some of the young lads a bit of a run out.

Give the likes of Fergie 15 mins instead of 30 seconds.

• terencelim

May 4, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Steven Taylor, the English speaking lad has been playing for the club for years and it’s time to tell whether he is proven, and good enough or not. We all know he’s not a good player, and I don’t see any chance of him turning into a great player in the future, I wouldn’t mind if the club let him go for free. Sound harsh but that’s exactly what I am thinking.

I used to have high hope for this lad and I remembered watching his debut against Bolton, he made a costly error but it didn’t stop me from giving high hope for this kid, but over the years he just tried too hard to show his quality but never impress me. And I hate the fact that he left the pitch minutes after Oba scored against ManUtd and soon being equalized. I didn’t think that injury was that bad that he needed to leave the pitch for so long. I may sound bias and stupid in this point of view, but like many other fans, I used to give a very high hope for this lad but for me that’s no longer the case.

Overall he may be just a slightly better version of Titus Bramble or maybe Boumsong, and not greater than Rozehnal or Cacapa. Rozehnal and Cacapa did make some killing mistakes too but I remembered when they had a good game, they played good throughout the 90 minutes, while Steven Taylor was consistently making errors that cost the team 3 points.

I still like this lad, but wouldn’t mind if he leaves. Maybe he should replace Mike this week if Mike needs a little bit of rest, but in long term, no.

Another BIG “NO” is Shola Ameobi if the club wants to show some ambition and attract good strikers to come. I don’t think I need to explain here, everybody knows how shit and how lazy he is.

I am never a fan of Joey Barton, but if he and Kevin Nolan sign a new deal then I am happy. Guthrie, Fergie and Ranger deserve some chance too, and I hope they would turn great for the club especially Fergie and Ranger.

But this is Newcastle United, I don’t know what happens when they turn into great players. Mike Ashley never say no when big money comes and he’s proven in selling good players for the past many years even when we relegated, so I never expect too much from this owner.