Steven Taylor Comes In From The Cold

Alan Pardew asked Steven Taylor to take his chance on Saturday, and the local lad did exactly that.

Steven Taylor – had very good game on Saturday

Not only did Steven look solid at the back for Newcastle, but he also scored with a great bullet header from a Joey Barton corner, and as usual after he scored he went crazy.

That was Steven’s 11th goal ever for Newcastle,  and it came at a great time for both Steven and the Newcastle side.

The goal put the side 2-0 up against a 10 man Birmingham side, after Liam Ridgewell had been shown a straight red card for deliberate hand ball in the penalty area.

Steven talked to the local Newcastle press corps today:

“I’m absolutely delighted.” “The main thing was to win the game, get safety, and we’ve done that.”

“The goal was something special – it’s been a long time coming! It’s been a frustrating season for me with injuries, so I was just happy to play my part.”

“I had been waiting for an opportunity, and it came along.” “I just want to make the most of these games and help the team.”

“I thought we played very well, back to front, and they couldn’t cope with our passing.” “I said before the game to a couple of people I would score, and I just attacked the header.”

“The delivery from Joey was fantastic, and it was up to me and the rest of the lads to get a head on it and stick it in the back of the net.”

“I think you could tell from the celebration how happy I was.” “At half-time, we were a bit disappointed to have conceded. But in the second half we did what we had to do.”

Steven seems to have his critics with some Newcastle fans, but there’s one thing that’s very clear about Steven Taylor – and that is that he’s completely committed to his home town club.

That cannot be bad.

He had an excellent game on Saturday – and that;s to his enormous credit.

• Davies

May 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

If the ref had seen him leading with his elbow (AGAIN!) he’d have been off. Could have cost us the game.

Thanks for the goal and all that, but seriously, stop handling in the area and elbowing people.

• Vinicinhos

May 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I’m very happy, Taylor had a great match.

To the team, I like Anthony Mounier.Second Striker, or Left Winger, he’s fast, has a good cross and good dribble.He and Ben Arfa can be great partners.

• JUGGALO TOON ™

May 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Saylor still gets me very nervous when he is on the field makes alot of silly mistakes, like Davies said he could of easily been sent of early in the game, he played well the rest of the game but he makes me so nervous. Maybe he could play DM what do people think about that? He works hard, he’s strong and if he did make one of his silly mistakes there is more chance of him being outside the box.

• NI Toon

May 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Who do you think is our best CB partnership?

Collo & Williamson
    Collo & Taylor
    Taylor & Williamson

Or do we really need to get in 1 new CB:

????? & New CB

• coolcatcarter89

May 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Does ST participate in the 20km Power Walking World Championships?

I’ve been a big advocate of the Willo/Colo partnership, but ST reminded me why he’s superior to Willo on Saturday. Far more adept and composed on the ball, his aggression and influence on the rest of the team – he’ll make challenges that will change the course of the game and snap us out of a slumber (if we’re in one). If he can minimise his errors, I don’t see why he can’t get his international career rejuvenated (once Fabio leaves of course).

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Steve Taylor & Collo has to be our best CB pairing& should be 1st choice next season. Williamson is a good standby for these two. Unfortunately it looks like we’ll need a LB next season.

• NI Toon

May 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

@ JUGGALO TOON ™

Taylor in DM, I am not sure it would work out. We tried to play Collo in DM recently and to be honest he looked a little lost. In my opinion Collo is better than Taylor on the ball so not sure how Taylor would fair.
    I think once you have had a position drilled into you for so long it takes a while to change your game.
    Then again you never know, he could be challenging Tiote for his spot next season :)…

• GeordieRob

May 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

@CCC,

I saw the picture and immediately though “Power walking”!

All I hope is that neither him or Coloccini get injured in the next game or early against WBA. Having no experienced reserve is a little precarious.

• mark9403newcastle

May 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

See Sky Sports are linking us with FC Copenhagen centre half Matias Jorgensen. Good strong 21 year old with great potential, this is the kind of player who would suit Collo! Definitely think we need to invest in a young upcoming solid centre back as well as flair players and strikers!! Really hoping for this one!!

• clinta3

May 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Where are all the ‘S Taylors a shocking player’ brigade? We’ll actually there’s still a couple on here that are willing to critise his performance.

I think he did well, especially considering he’s been out for a long time. He’s come in an taken his chance and got a goal. I think he looke fairly solid at the back and you can’t ask too much more of the lad.

From some comments you’d think he was the defender to blame for the goal not Collo. S Taylors not the greatest player, but he’s a Geordie and willing to play for the club, also he can come in and do a job and with a bit of a run in the team I could see him back ahead of Willo.

I’m surprise by the slagging he gets from fans [sic], much like I am from the reception Shola gets off a lot of people. Okay, neither player is a world beater but over the years they’ve stuck with the toon (both could of left countless times, though debatable in Shola’s case if for the same money), and have played a role over the years far greater than many other players who cost the club millions.

If Kadar isn’t fit or desn’t develop through pre-season we should probably go after a fourth CB, as there’s bound to be an injury to one of th curent main 3 next season.

• coolcatcarter89

May 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Haha GeordieRob, I think he’s going to be a surprise inclusion in team GB, at next year’s Olympics!

Always makes me laugh ST, he’s a little bit camp for a tough CB, his bullet wound amateur-dramatics (after he’s handled) make me piss!

• GeordieTwo

May 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Thought Taylor was good overall but we got overrun a few times by a fairly poor Birmingham attack with 10 men! Second half performance typifies our season. We can’t finish enough because we have no strikers and we are scary on defense at times. Six wins out of 18 so far at home not good enough. I think we need a dominating, powerful CB as well as an impact striker, and a pacy RW but that is likely only going to happen in my dreams as it would cost a fortune.

• Billy1985

May 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM

s taylor is crap……….he went for the header early on and whjat happened missed the ball and elbowed a player, proper liability fair enough he scored but their defender had a shocker. their goal he saw colo go to the ground why didnt he stay on his feet and block rather than falling down like a fanny

• Billy1985

May 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

just cause he scored doesnt mean every1 will love him again much more negatives than positives

• Bell

May 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM

he played well in my book, and not just because he scored!

yes he does make a mistake or two (per game) but i think if he works on that then he will become a much better defender.

i also dont think he could play DM. this is because although he will be making less challanges in the box, he will have to make more challenges than usually in this position.

TOON!

• gazza going fishing

May 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Stevie taylor is a class defender who cares if he makes a few mistakes? tiote picks up a lot of yellows? jonas doesn’t deliver amazing balls, enrique dallys with the ball a bit too much in his own half at time.. but a wouldn’t take none of them out of the team! HWTL.

• PoolieToon

May 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM

He is a gd defender like, I reckon he has just lost his way a bit with all the injuries and lack of first team opportunity. He is still relatively young so his decision making can still improve.

In DM I dont think so, Fair enough he may be able to win back posession but thats only half the job, you got to pick out a good pass or travel well with the ball to get it up the pitch and thats not something he will get too much practice on.

• Sav

May 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM

I’d give Spurs most of their money back to bring back Bassong. One of the best central defenders at SJP in years is not happy at WHLane. Player of the season in our relegation year. Don’t know why he hasn’t clicked but that could be to our advantage if we got Seb back without alerting the vultures.

• Brutooon

May 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Birmingham was playing with 10 players for the entire time, its not a good match to judge Saylor (yet)