Only Four Players To Leave Newcastle This Summer?

When you consider that the Newcastle squad is very small,  and just too small for the Premier League, we wouldn’t expect too many players to depart Newcastle in the summer.

Wayne Routledge – to move to QPR in summer

Some players who have been mentioned as being moved out this summer are James Perch, Alan Smith, Danny Guthrie and even Danish striker Peter Lovenkrands, but we think it would be a mistake to move any of these players out, and they should be kept to boost the size of the newcatsle squad for next season.

While James Perch has his critics among the Newcastle faithful, the last few times he’s played for Newcastle,  he’s played like his life depended on it, and he’s got the guts to be a good squad player for the Magpies.

Another player who has been mentioned that may move out is Ryan Taylor, but the 26 year-old can do a good job for Newcastle when he’s called on.

Of course he’s not too happy to just sit on the bench all the time on Tyneside, and we’ve been a little surprised that Ryan hasn’t seen much action since he played so well on the right wing for Newcastle against Bolton, before he received his straight red card.

So we don’t expect too many players to leave Newcastle this summer, but the obvious players who will leave seem to be Sol Campbell, whose contract will not be renewed, Wayne Routledge, who will likely move to newly promoted QPR and the Magpies will at least get their money back on him.

Finnish International Shefki Kuqi, who was brought in only as cover at the striker position for the last five months of the season, will also leave.

Unfortunately we also think Jose Enrique, who gave another interview yesterday that would qualify him for a diplomatic career, will also move on.

If Newcastle can get £10M for Jose, that would even be a decent deal, and Newcastle should be able to sign a good and experienced left back (M’Bengue from Toulouse?) to replace him.

And of course we still have young Shane Ferguson, who’s looked just great in the Newcastle first team at left back this year.

So that’s all we would expect to leave Newcastle this summer – Campbell, Routledge, Kuqi and Enrique.

The £10M or whatever Newcastle can get for Enrique, should be reinvested into the squad to pay both transfer fees and wages of  the new players coming into the club.

Who do you think should be sent packing this summer from Newcastle?

• Toon Sweden77

May 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Ameobi..

• P.I.

May 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM

First!
    I would expect a heck of a lot more than 10 million squiddy diddlys for Enrique mind Ed. but yeah I think reading between the lines he wants away. Hold out for £15m and hopefully it’s abroad and not to my new most hated team; Liverpool.
    As for the deadwood obviously Kuqi and Campbell will be on their way, Routledge is already a done deal I believe.
    I think this summer needs to be a huge re-building process though. Personally I would like to See Smith go, if nothing more than to free up some of the wage bill, but I think he’s lost in the centre of midfield in premier league football. Same goes for Guthrie really, who has one decent game in every 10. He’s a great championship level performer but can’t do the business required in the premier. The same goes for Ryan Taylor, who needs to go. Larssson for free would replace him in the squad.
    We’ve got Gosling to come in for Smith, and i would like to see someone else come in to fill Guthries boots, unfortunately i can see this being Nigel Reo Coker!
    We need creativity and people who can stick the ball in the net. Loverkrands is a decent player but wont be playing at this level for much longer, if we can spend big this is where i would like to see it spent, if Loverman has to go then so be it.
    Ranger on loan for the season to get some full games under his belt, Shola should be back up. Best may be in and around the team but i would want us to sign two new centre forwards really.

• roshan MAGPIE

May 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I want ameobi kuqi campbell xisco out they suck

• Brutooon

May 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Enrique – Anfield Bound
    Perch- back to a championship club
    Routledge – stay at QPR, and i bet he will still struggle to perform at the premierleague
    Smith- high wages, below average player – hope leeds take him
    Ameobi – to a championship club but i bet he wont move and stick with his remaining contracts here

Campbell- coach

• ToonDownSouth

May 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

PI, we wont get 15m because he has one year left on his contract. I’d rather sell him for ten than lose him for nothing in a year – that would be a kick in the teeth after we transformed him from complete rubbish to brilliant. And he will go to Liverpool by the looks of it.

I really like Guthrie, and would be sad if he left. His passing is on par with Barton, and he can tackle. He was great against United and against Villa – it seems unfair to say he has one good game in ten when he’s only started a couple this year

• Davies

May 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I’d like to see Xisco either played or sold. The managers clearly don’t fancy him from what they see in training, so he may as well go. Shame. He seems to have been given so little opportunity.

We need strikers, wingers, full backs, at least one experienced centreback, everything but ‘keepers (though there may be some movement there) and central midfielders, basically. I can’t think about who we can get shot of before we’ve actually built the team properly.

We need numbers. If we have the same injury problems next season that we did this season, I can see Beardo and Pardew pulling on their boots.

Would love to have another Beardo.

• WWJBD

May 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I must say Ed I am surprised you havent included Xisco in this. My assumption is that he is gone come summer.

Personally I am happy we arent planning to ship out massive numbers of our squad. Depth is key to cup runs and Europe dreams. I am only happy that Routledge goes if we get Taarbt in return.

• ogbell

May 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I for one am a little sick of the Enrique story. He’s gone – we all know to Liverpool for a fee of around £10m (or £5/£6m with Konchesky in tow). It’s not the end of the world – Konchesky can come in and play back up and/or provide competition for another continental signing like this Chiek M’Bengue. Ferguson is far superior on the left wing in an attacking role – so if we keep Guti then he can provide the cover for that role. I would also see us bringing in someone like Puncheon from Southampton should he refuse a permanent transfer to Blackpool. In terms of a forward line – we will be looking at budget players. I think Elmander will arrive from Bolton, and then a Championship striker in the Ilk of Long or Wickham will come in in the region of £6/£7m.
    I also think a foreign striker will come in someone along the lines of Mario Gomez or Rondon from Malaga or Osvaldo from Espanyol – where we can maybe use Xisco as a makeweight as part of any deal.
    Pard’s has already said he wants Ben Arfa to play the number 10 role next year – so we could be seeing someone like Elmander/Gomez leading the line, with him playing off – or Rondon, or Osvaldo.
    Big Mike will not relinquish too many funds and i think we’ll spend no more than £18m net. That includes wages.
    I don’t think this is too pessimistic… And the squad will be far more capable than the one that started this season.

I would like to see another right-back to compete with Simpson too. Tavernier needs loaning out to a League One club, Ranger and Moyo too.

HWTL

• RememberShearer

May 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Ameobi…Ameobi….Ameobi….Ameobi…Ameobi…Ameobi….Ameobi….Ameobi…Ameobi…Ameobi….Ameobi….Ameobi…Ameobi…Ameobi….Ameobi….Ameobi…oh and Smith…………….

• Andy

May 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Would love £4m and Raylor for wickham. At least then we probably cut the wage and only part with 4m

• Sav

May 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

“It is flattering that Liverpool are interested. I’ve also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me. They are both big teams and I’m not closing the door on anyone.

“I’m ambitious and want to play in the Champions League. I want to win things. I’m OK at Newcastle but I aspire to more.”
    You call that tact and diplomacy? I call it disrespectful. In fact, why is he talking to the press every other day at all, when his job is to play for our football team on £50,000 every week?
    He clearly thinks we are a bunch of also-rans.
    I only hope he doesn’t know something we don’t.
    He can sign up or b****r off but please, shut up.

• jplizardking

May 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM

very negative comments re Enrique…

• Markaccus

May 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM

That seems like a copy of an older interview from a couple of months back, where he said the exact same thing.

• gorskino10

May 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM

2nd smallest squad to begin with wonder if we bring in enough to counter act how many we sell.

Out:

Enrique
    Campbell
    Perch
    Smith
    Routledge
    Xisco
    R.Taylor

ALOT out, we cannot afford to loose this many players i mean last game we have 4 youngsters on the bench /Donaldson/Fergusson/Ranger/Richardson/ we have no backup

• Ezedoesit

May 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Smith is the only one I feel HAS to leave. Too much of a liability when played at DM. I think we should get Reo-Coker to back up Tiote. He should know he’ll at least get to play everytime Tiote is suspended.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFX-mzfT_w4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• P.I.

May 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM

@ToonDownSouth I stick by my comments about Guthrie i’m afriad dude, i just don’t particularly rate him in the middle of the park in this division. I would rather get shot for a couple of million and take a chance that Gosling will start next season free of injury and be a superior player to that of Guthrie.
    He is X.I.S.C.O. is a forgotten man, he’s surely on his way. Feel a bit sorry for him as he was only young when he came over and hasn’t really be given a big ol’ chance but we all know the dirty reasons for signing him by Wise, and releasing him from the wage bill would be reason enough to get shot for me.

• Sav

May 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Young Venezuelan lad, Rondon we are linked with according to the Chronic –
    “Rondon has four years left of his contract with Malaga and, when asked about his future, he said: “I’m doing my job. I am grateful to the club and focused on trying to score goals.”

That is diplomacy and respect for club and fans.

R

• coolcatcarter89

May 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Out:

Smith – £60k p/w – total liability, if he’s such a top professional, he’ll accept he doesn’t deserve his wage and take a pay-cut to be elsewhere playing regular football, otherwise he’s just another parasite. Release him.

Xisco – £35k p/w – strange one, never had a chance, but must be for good reason. Again release him.

Campbell – £30k – contract expired, think it should be curtains Sol.

Kuqi – £5k – probably has had the time of his life running out at St James’ Park. Again will likely retire.

Routledge – £20k – already gone.

Perch – £10k – simply not good enough and has never looked like stepping up.

There’s six who should be heading for the exits, unequivocally.

• coolcatcarter89

May 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Out:

Campbell – £30k – contract expired, think it should be curtains Sol.

Routledge – £20k – already gone.

Perch – £10k – simply not good enough and has never looked like stepping up.

There’s six who should be heading for the exits, unequivocally. The wages are just estimations.

• nolan4

May 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Players out:
    Routledge
    Xisco
    Campbell
    Jose enrique ( if we get 10-15mill)
    kuqi
    Strolla
    I see stephen warnock has been mentioned wudn’t b a bad signing at 2-3mill

• Sir Erec

May 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

@ Ogbell

I completely disagree that we will get Mario Gomez, way too high of a quality player for the likes of Newcastle United to acquire from Bayern Munchen, a team who will be looking to bring in big bucks players following their failure to retain the Bundesliga title, as well as the incoming of new coach Jupp Henyckes from Leverkusen.

I could see us getting perhaps Elmander, Long or Wickham, mabye go for Rodallega if Wigan goes down, and if Wolves go down perhaps a bid for Steven Fletcher or Kevin Doyle. As long as Carlton Cole doesn’t show up I won’t be too unpleased.

• BonVoyageBenny

May 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Recently watched our “Champions” Dvd from last year. It reminded me why I got Guthrie on the back of my shirt this year. He was assigned as our primary dead ball taker, and my god did he whip in some marvellous crosses. He also played some brilliant balls to the strikers, and scored some crackers throughout the season. He is one who, even if he doesn’t start, is worthy of a squad place. For me, Xisco, Routledge are the 2 we should get money for, maybe Smith (but can you think of another defensive midfielder who can cover Tiote when he’s suspended?).

• cousto

May 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

when did enrique sign for another team? quit the negativity people, he’s not gone yet.

I’d give Xisco a chance in pre-season, but hopefully graham carr is hard at work looking at strikers.

• wynsleap

May 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Replacing Enrique with Warnock or Konchesky will only weaken this team further. A quality replacement must be found if he goes.
    Wouldn’t like to see Ryan Taylor leave – don’t think he’s had a chance really and still not sure about Routledge leaving either.
    Time to see the back of Xisco, Kuqi, Campbell, one of the keepers (preferably Forster), Best and Ameobi (please).

• Sir Erec

May 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM

My Guess on Transfers:

Likely Ins:

Elmander
    Larsson
    Wendt or Warnock
    Ireland

Likely Outs:
    Campbell
    Kuqi
    Xisco
    Routledge
    Donaldson as contract is out

Likely loans out:
    Vuckic
    Kadar
    Ranger
    M Richardson
    Inman
    Tavernier

Who I want to see in (though only some are possible):

Jorgensen from FC Copenhagen
    Steven Davis from Rangers
    John Fleck from Rangers
    Peter Odemwingie from West Brom
    Chris Brunt from West Brom
    Gio Dos Santos from Spurs
    Aiden McGeady from Spartak Moscow

I am very well aware that most of my wanted transfers are out of our reach, and that it would be silly to think that we would be bringing in a lot of players, as one generally doesn’t for one transfer window, but I am excited as always and yet trying to keep my expectations down at the same time.

• ogbell

May 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I genuinely have it on good authority that Mario Gomez is an option. You are all forgetting that he is really an average player who has had a poor goalscoring record until recent weeks. I think we will be seeing a German and a player based in Spain acquired this summer.

• WWJBD

May 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

ogbell who is your source of this information?

• ogbell

May 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Having just checked my stats Gomez is better than I thought – but my source is still credible.

🙂

• Benton Toon Exile

May 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

All the anti Shola banter is wrong!
    This fella loves the Toon and always gives his best. He may not be worldclass and has never said he is, but is a good squad player.
    Shola would be an excellent sidekick for a world class striker!

• WWJBD

May 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Source? Come on ogbell if your gonna make such high claims you have to back it up

• AndyMac

May 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

The problem with most of those suggestions Sir Erec is that not one of them is what I would call a “game changer”

This team has done well enough considering its limits in terms of quality and quantity but what the players probably want, more than the fans perhaps, is one or two players who can help transform a game. HBA’s performance at Everton was one example which springs to mind.

We cannot afford to keep doing what we’ve done all season (or most of it anyway) by hoofing balls to the big lad or playing with two wide but often ineffective midfielders.

Taking a leaf out of the Barca manual or the Mancs even ? We need fluidity through the forward line as well as creativity and HBA plus two more like Hamsik or Pastore at Palermo would be welcome additions to this squad. Then you can populate the rest of it with the likes of Warnock.

However if we go down the route of buying other peoples casts off like Larsson, Elmander and Carlton Cole then we’ll effectively be settling for mid table, at best, next season.

• coolcatcarter89

May 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Ogbull, you’re dribbling again.

• Sir Erec

May 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

AndyMac-

Good point, but for me, this is from my list that I personally believe are game changers that would be realistically within our reach:

Chris Brunt from West Brom
    Gio Dos Santos from Spurs
    Aiden McGeady from Spartak Moscow
    Craig Bellamy from Man City
    Vladimir Weiss from Man City

• Omar

May 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Well for me the certain dead wood needs to be shipped out a.s.a.p

shola (only to be kept as fourth striker) ameobi
    alan no goals smith
    perchy
    xisco
    kuqi koo
    sol campbell .. why dont they keep him to teach the youngin’s

• gorskino10

May 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM

What we have to do is replace quality WITH QUALITY, all these touted replacements for LB, like Warnock/Konchesky are crap.

Replacing Andy Carrol for Carlton Cole, another example.

@AndyMac

True we need players that you leap on and naivly say or think he is better than the player he replaced, Liverpool are getting this from Suarez saying he is better than Torres was for them etc…

Its bad that this summer can make or break us, if we dont buy good players, Barton/Nolan won’t sign on, Jose will leave and maybe others will like Tiote?
    But if we spend wisely and buy a few players to start AND backup we may have enough to push for maybe a Europa League place.

• steve1980

May 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I don’t reckon Jose Enrique is a certain done deal. I think if we bring in poor signings, he won’t stay, thats for certain. Probably true of Barton as well. And who could blame them. They’ve been outstanding this season, and like any players worth their salt, they’re ambitious. Four players out? Sounds about correct – Ryan Taylor, Xisco, Smith, Perch, Routledge – we know the contenders. Around the same number back in, plus Ben Arfa & Gosling back. Olsson, Evans, Elmander, Jarvis, Taarabt, Boyd & O’Hara in. People will groan but there really is no point in people throwing Cavani, Honda & Gourcuff in the mixer when we haven’t a hope in hell of getting such top class International names. Its time a few started living in the real world.

• steve1980

May 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Sir Erec is right to mention Weiss as well, tremendous prospect. All these people after “game changes”…again, its not like me and others wouldn’t love to see Edinson Cavani or Franck Ribery or Sergio Aguero at the club in the b&w. But its about being realistic. The kind of players i mentioned above, plus Nolan, Barton, Gutierrez etc, have a strong chance of finishing top 7, and in most seasons that is European football. Thats when you can start attracting bigger names. Until then, we are what we are, a lower table PL club recently relegated. A Jamie O’Hara or Matt Jarvis will see us a step up, and they’re within our reach. We must punch our weight for the time being. Overall, a great season has been had, only the Carroll sale souring the experience really.

• Brutooon

May 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I think its time Ameobi to be transfer out, we got Best and Ranger as 3rd and 4th Striker as long as we bought two good NEW strikers.

• Sir Erec

May 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

steve1980

I agree with what you said about punching within our weight through signings who are realistic but a step up, however personally I feel O’Hara would be a step sideways.

Past couple seasons I have noticed that Newcastle lack some truly pacy players, as well as players who are willing to try the unexpected.

Maybe I haven’t paid enough attention, but in my humble view, there are players other than Routledge who should be sold this summer, as I feel he could still do the job for us in some capacity.

• Robby Bobson

May 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Pardew said anythibg if weve got wayne back for last two games….fink hes a decent player to be honest.