Steven Taylor Was Outstanding On Saturday – Alan Pardew

It was good to see Steven Taylor come in for the injured Mike Williamson on Saturday, and not only have a solid game at the back for Newcastle, but also score with a powerful header from a Joey Barton corner.

Steven Taylor – in action last Saturday

Steven has a lot of experience in the Premier League, and so far has played 186 times for his local club, and has now scored 11 goals, since making his debut as an 18 year-old.

Of course Taylor had considerable success earlier in his career when he captained the England U21 side, and appeared fro them a total of 29 times with 4 goals.

Steven also signed a new long term contract in late December, shortly after Alan Pardew joined the club as manager, and Alan was very pleased with the Greenwich born player’s performance against Birmingham last Saturday:

“I thought he was outstanding,” “If I was marking him, I’d give him an eight out of ten.”

“I liked his assurance and focus. He was on his game, and when the ball came, he attacked it.”

“I’ve worked hard with Steven to make sure that next year he’s ready to put in a season that his potential three to four years ago was suggesting.”

“I think he can.”

Steven Taylor is currently second in our poll for Newcastle’s Man of the Match last Saturday, with Joey Barton leading on 31% of the vote and Steven second on 27%.

Taylor will be looking forward to pre-season and hoping to get his first team place back in the center of Newcastle’s defense, but he’ll still have Coloccini and Williamson as stiff opposition next season.

• cyprus

May 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I didn’t used to rate Taylor, as he played his part in us getting relegated. But now I believe he is maturing and may become a first team member. Then again, the Wil-Col partnership has worked well for the most part. Our defense has been pretty solid this year, and that’s a surprise to say. What we lack now is a right winger (someone like Routledge) and 2 good forwards. Also, a creative midfielder.

• lewytoon

May 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

taylor is better than williamson i think.

• Brutooon

May 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Its unfair to say Saylor did well since Birmingham played with 10 men (and even that they still manage to score)

• Markaccus

May 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Let’s play “which left back will the toon be linked with today”
    I think wayne bridges name will be dragged back up again, any other suggestions? 😀
    Taylor still worries me sometimes, his arms are all over the place. Hand balls and elbows always a big risk

• HamarMagpie

May 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

So if your opponents finish the game with 10 men, you loose the chance to get plaudits for a good performance? Brutoon: you’re absolutely off mark. Taylor had a good solid game on saturday and the Brummies scored after a Colloccini howler.

• Markaccus

May 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM

He did play well on sat though I admit.

• lewytoon

May 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

wasnt the howler cuz they not used to playing with eachother?

• Lew Davies

May 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

could have been sent off for that elbow tho, 👿

• russbrat5

May 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Not sure that I agree with Cyprus statement.’ Our defence has been pretty solid this year’. 52 goals conceded this year is still far too many,and needs to be addressed,if we are hoping to break into the top 8 next year!

• roshan MAGPIE

May 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM

oly difference btw taylor and willo is tat taylor can score goal willo cant

• Brutooon

May 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM

The defence do “improve” but we still concede lots of goals

• lewytoon

May 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

taylors scored 11, so who are ur top 5 transfer targets? mines:
    taarabt, gameiro, osvaldo, ireland, jarvis

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

His performance just confirmed what I keep on saying on this site Steve Taylor is a top class CB & I think he will play for England.

• alex84

May 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Lewytoon, mione would be:
    Gamiero
    Marvin Martin
    Morgan Amalfitano
    Osvaldo
    leroy fer

• Markaccus

May 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

@Lewytoon I’d swap gamiero out and put that rondon bloke in, since gamiero seems un interested. Not sure about jarvis, but I’d go with the rest.

• lewytoon

May 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM

yeah, marvin martin wud be good aswell

• Brutooon

May 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM

HamarMagpie : its just my opinion mate, judging a player based on 11 vs 11 is not same as 11 vs 10 players.

I rather judge him during the Chelsea game. If he can stop Drogba, Maluda and maybe Torres then that good for us

• clinta3

May 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Brutoon,

How’s it unfair to say S Taylor played well if well… he did?!

So, S Taylor was crap then for the first 32 mins was he? Where’s your logic?

I thin you’ll find the goal Birmingham scored was due to a Collocini error and had nothing to do with S Taylor.

Oh and the lad scored so he should get credit for that. Now, I’m not saying all of a sudden his brilliant, but cosidering he’d been out for so long he came in and did well.

Your comments are pathetic and simple based on you prviously slagging him off and now worried you may be proven wrong.

You’d think as a newcastle fan you’d want our players to do well, even if you don’t rate and it proves you wrong.

• JAMSHA

May 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Taylor is ,same lvl as colo.
    Ed any transfer news. M getn bored .

• Brutooon

May 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM

clinta3 : i think you are overreact mate, mainly because

1) i never said he is crap or poor. Please read my comments mate

2) i am JUST SAYING its unfair to judge a player when 11 players vs 10 players. Its logic mate. An 10 players team might only attack with 3-4 players but a full 11 players team might attack with 5-6 players.

3) Your opinion is based on One game ONLY

4) If you ask my opinion, i love Saylor to take the RB position. He is ALSO a good player to join the attack – good header of the ball.

• Davies

May 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I’m sorry, but I don’t think Taylor’s better than Williamson, and there’s no way he’s the “same level” as Colo, as somebody said above. I’m noit saying he’s crap either, before anybody gets on at me, but there are very good reason’s he’s been 3rd/4th choice this season.

Yes, he’s better going forward than Willo, but he’s also a liability. His elbows could have costs us points on Saturday and he’s a regular hand ball offender. These are not just little niggles, they are qualities that can, will and already have cost us games.

For my money, we need another first choice CB to play along side Colo. Even then, Taylor should still be behind Willo in the pecking order. Just my opinion, of course.

• JP...from The Rock

May 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Brutooon – I get your point. about 11 v 10 but he deserves credit too. I have always thought highly of Taylor and Willo has come in and grabbed his chance with both hands. I agree with you Brutoon that Taylor could be played at RB. I have been wanting to see that for ages. Now is the right time to do so as it will give Simpson competition to his place and it won’t disrupt the great partnership of Collo and Willo. I also think even though the howler was more Coloccini’s blame I think the lack of communication between Taylor and Coloccini was the reason.

Taylor is a very good defender and he is sometimes a bit wild with his hands but he is a solid defender that does score and pose a threat every time he moves up the field. That is why I believe at RB he will be perfect. He’s not a bad crosser of the ball either, and will surely go forward more than Simpson does.

• Brutooon

May 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

JP…From the Rock : Thanks mate, at least you understand what i am saying. I am not whining about Saylor – he is one of the players that play with his heart and we all know that.

• GeordieJordy

May 11, 2011 at 7:30 PM

If Taylor could play RB i would still play Simpson. My reason being Simpson is fast and can attack quickly and track back quickly. I don’t care what other people say but i think Simpson does attack a lot and does do some good crosses.

• Sav

May 12, 2011 at 12:23 AM

He’d be better still if he kept his hands by his sides while the kit-man pulled his shirt over his head.
    Taylor is always looking to grapple and elbow and it will cost him and us dearly if they don’t knock it out of him.