Kevin Keegan Feeling Sorry For Himself – Again

Kevin Keegan managed England back in 1999-2000, and he was simply not much better than Steve McClaren, if truth be told.

Kevin Keegan – in second spell as manager at Newcastle

Keegan has had ups and downs in his career as both a player and a manager, and it helps if you can take responsibility for the bad times as well as the good, which happen in any career

But that seems foreign to Kevin, as when things go wrong it’s never anything to do with him, and he seems to still be in denial about the disaster at England, when he walked out on the National side after Germany beat England 1-0 at Wembley.

That was on 7th October 2000, after England lost to a former Newcastle player – Dietmar Hamann’s goal for Germany in a 2002 World Cup qualifier, and the very last game to be played at Wembley Stadium before the stadium was rebuilt.

This is what Kevin Keegan said about managing England:

“I didn’t enjoy it. Simple as that. It was not a job I applied for. I was at Fulham and took over part-time. It was probably me getting carried away on an idea. If Harry Redknapp phoned me up and asked me what I thought about him taking it, I’d say, ‘Don’t take it unless you want a lot of free time’. I really would.”

“I would go to Highbury and see Aime Jacquet, then manager of France, watching about 15 players of his and I would have one. I wouldn’t mind if I could have gone to see Paris St Germain v Nantes and watched 15 English lads. But it wasn’t like that.”

“I found the job soulless. It was hard to fill in the time. I found myself going and training the blind team, the deaf team, working with the ladies’ team.” “It’s very difficult and it saddens me to say it but it’s a better job for a foreigner than an Englishman at the moment.”

“The media are the media. The one who had the easiest ride was Terry Venables, because they were all his friends. I never had one friend in the press. Nobody was getting inside information from me. I don’t have that sort of relationship with any press guy.”

“That’s because I don’t trust the press. Some of the guys are OK. But if they ask me something off the record, I won’t tell them anything. There is no such thing as ‘off the record’. If there was, why would they ask?”

“I’ve worked with them all. I’ve worked with some of them since they were young lads, so I probably know more about them than they do about me. But trust them? No.”

“I don’t need a press man to do me a favor. That’s where I am in the game. It’s annoyed some of them. I know how the press work: they’ve written the story and they just want you to give them the headline.”

“When you’re England manager, it’s like being Prime Minister. They are trying to get a certain answer out of you.”

When England were beaten 1-0 by Germany in that World Cup qualifier, Kevin simply resigned in the dressing room following the game, and England struggled to get someone in to replace him for the next game in a few days time.

England even wanted then Newcastle manager Bobby Robson to fill in, and he wanted to do it, but Newcastle Chairman Freddy Shepherd put a quick block on that.

England finally got Peter Taylor, the England U21 manager, to fill in for the next game, and then of course Sven Eriksson came in and qualified England for the 2002 World Cup.

And of course on 1st September 2001, England simply hammered Germany 5-1 in Germany, and qualified in second place behind Germany in their qualifying group.

Kevin Keegan won only 38.9% of his games in charge of England, and that made him statistically the least successful permanent England manager ever.

His England manager record from February 1999 through October 2000 was played 18, won 7, lost 4 and drew 7.

Those are the facts and Kevin should deal with them.

Hey, we all have our failures, and it’s probably best that we be responsible for those too – as well as the successes,  which are slightly easier to handle. 😀

Of course we’ll never forget how simply brilliant Kevin Keegan was in his first spell as manager of Newcastle United, for those magical years of 1992 through 1995.

That was the highlight of Kevin’s management career, and he put Newcastle firmly on the football map as The Entertainers, and we’ll never forget that contribution Kevin made to Newcastle United.

• geoff777

May 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

KK as usual has answered a question about his time as England manager with complete honesty.

As if to prove KK right about the press, Ed has made up a headline that totally misrepresents what KK was saying.

• Billy1985

May 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

do you think that kk wants to get back into management as he is being in the media quite a few times recently, everyone has an opinion so let him be

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

KK FOR NEWCASTLE:-)

• coolcatcarter89

May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Ha! And now the team who has fielded the most English players in the league (US), can’t get the England manager to attend a match!

• geoff777

May 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Yes a quality manager, I’d just love to see him back, just love it.

• Markaccus

May 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Geoff is right. KK just telling it as it is, as he always did. Everyone knows the England job is a pile of sh1te. Its a no win situation, no matter what system, what methods, which selection process is used, the manager gets crap from the press and fans. KK is right, the media are pain in the ar?e

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM

What’s wrong with a bit of charity work (blind and deaf teams) and working with the ladies team couldn’t have been that bad. :-d

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

geoff777, Pardew doesn’t have his feet on Bobby Robson’s desk. He’s to busy in the media room.

• geoff777

May 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM

@GG … lol ….. errrrrm … quite right …. we need to bring in three or four, so hopefully we’ll sign one or two … errrrrrmm

The man’s a bad joke.

• WWJBD

May 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM

KK is a great man and a legend around here but he should not come back to manage us. He wouldn’t want the job anyway…he didn’t want it when we last had him as manager.

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Jamsha….I see you made your icon somehow 🙂

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Partizan yea mate, had a diff time to get it done ,I regestrd on da wrong email n wonderng y ma icon stl not changen hehehe. Tnx mate (hugs) n hw do u do dat happy emo?

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM

hehe just : – ) simple

• geoff777

May 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM

@WWWJBD

Any NUFC fan with a memory knows why KK left.
    He was surrounded by liars who undermined his position.
    The man has integrity.

The present owner & management don’t.

• WWJBD

May 13, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I assume your talking to me…happy emo some sort of nickname that I don’t understand?

He wouldn’t want it because he hates Ashley.

He didn’t want it because he was finished with football, he had no idea what was going on in the game at the time and he was happy enjoying life. But he saw a way he could help the club, get paid and build his status more…understandable really but it was a bad decision in the end.

• WWJBD

May 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Geoff777
    I know why he left and how it affected the club…but so what?

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Geoff…Its all memories now mate,the game has changed compeletely,,i believe KK is stuck in that time zone where all the teams including Arsenal had at least 70% English players so he fitted that style of play then.

Now,,he’ll be lost in traffic for sure cos if he was any good,,,for sure some middle class team would ask for his services by now.

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM

would have asked*

• Davies

May 13, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but all Keegan seems to have done since he left us first time around is moan like a woman. I’m far more tired fo hearing his voice than I am Pardew’s.

As I’ve said before, I love him to death for what he achieved here in his first managerial stint, but these days I find him tiresome.

He’s out of the game now and I really don’t think he’ll ever be back in.

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

You want a real deal top manager with eye for young player on a cheap,the next Wenger maybe even better.

Jurgen Klopp

That man deserves even 7 mill a year if we ever get the chance to get him.

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I rate Jurgen Klopp higher than the Special one 200X

• Davies

May 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM

geoff777 –

“Yes a quality manager, I’d just love to see him back, just love it.

Better than the championship manager we have now, with his feet on Bobby Robson’s desk.”

SERIOUSLY????

You’d want KK back?

Is this just so you’d have another reason to slag the owner off when Keegan inevitably walks out again?

• craig bell

May 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM

everyone else would feel sorry for themselfs if they were treated the way he has been treated throughout his managerial career. One word. legend.

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Partizan, Jurgen Klopp would be great. But doupt you/we/NUFC could get him from Dortmund. But what a cool manager he would be.

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

🙂

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

*doupt = doubt

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I did it lol:-)

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I hav a feeln dat pardew might bring back success bak at toon 🙂

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM

GG….Sometimes i don’t understand MA,,,his priority is the youth system,and he has a manager too scared to play them.

Get JK,,,give him 6-7 mill a year and a 25 mill transfer money,,,he’ll do wonders with that amount.

• veto

May 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM

we dont know the full story and never will while fat mike is in chanrge , be nice if you could lay off the man who has done more for this club than most , we might be still siting in the lower league’s if not for the revival of the club this man brought about , show abit respect when your copying and pasting other news sites articles

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Ok maybe i’m wrong that he has to play them,,but his transfer targets are also awful,,,well not all but most of them.

Cole,Concesky,Warnock etc

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Partizan, Thing is with Klopp is that he’s pretty young himself he’d bring power with him. And he does great interviews.

• Toonarmy5

May 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Couldnt have said it better myself veto!!!

i think its unbelivable that anyones if getting on KK’s back for whateva reason!!!! the man is a legend and as far as i am concerned cant do anything wrong in my eyes!! least of all when talking about the england job!!!

• chuck

May 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Ed.
    I`m afraid you lack any kind of tact !
    Why stirr up a lotta shit ? dont you realize KK is a hero to many of the Geordie Nation.
    Hey! given the choice between KK and Pardew is a no brainer, KK any day of the week.

• geoff777

May 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

KK was in a different league to Pardew as a player.

He’s also in a different league to him as a manager.

Pardew as far as I can tell from Wikipedia has not played in Europe or managed a team in European competition. He has no international experience either.

I’d take Keegan over him in a heartbeat.

• dave 1961

May 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM

how about Keegan taking over from Llambias?

• thepict

May 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM

What, so he can walk out aft 10minutes. Don’t think so.

• morocco0015

May 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Ed’s done it again, slagged Keegan off just for a re action.

• tiotal football

May 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I think every toon fan loves KK but in all seriousness… what has that man done since his first job as a manager with us?

• solano

May 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM

The answer to your question Tiotal is that after resurrecting us from the brink of the 3rd division to 2nd in the Premier within 4years…he took 2 different teams from the wilderness and got them promoted to and established in, the Premiership….sandwiched between, he had the whole of the southern press (who had previously crucified him) proclaiming him the saviour of England’s national team………not a bad record in this vicinity……..I know there are a few biblical related phrases in this post…but not only is he the best thing that happened to NUFC in my lifetime……I think he truly is the Son of God……and the wrath of the Lord will fall upon those who deny him……particularly Ed, who changes with the wind and the tides….and those who have sided with Beelzebub Ashley…..