The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Number 9 Shirt Is Sacred

1:32 pm, Friday, May 13th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

Nile Ranger has given a good interview to the Evening Chronicle today.

Nile Ranger - in action at Aston Villa

Nile has now been on Tyneside coming up to three years, and he knows full well about the Newcastle’s famous history  and that sacred number 9 shirt.

Ranger rightly shies away from any comparisons to the recently departed local lad Andy Carroll, who had the distinct privilege of wearing the famous number 9 shirt for half a season on Tyneside, before seeking richer pastures at Liverpool.

The England U-20 International talked about the number 9 shirt:

“The No 9 shirt is sacred, and I wouldn’t want to talk about it too much.” “Obviously it’s a target at the back of my mind, but it’s every striker’s dream to get it.”

“Alan Shearer and a whole load of other legends have worn it.” “But I am not even thinking about that at present.” “I’m just working hard and I am just establishing myself.”

“I wouldn’t dream of coming out and saying that.” I will just work hard and keep going. You just have to keep rattling away.”

Those are wise words from Ranger, because he’ll have to earn the right to wear that number 9 shirt.

And if Newcastle fail to bring in a top notch striker this summer – we hope they bring in a top striker of course – then the number 9 shirt should remain in cold storage.

We were told there were rumors in Shearer’s Bar yesterday that Newcastle were trying to do a deal for German International Mario Gómez.

That’s a great rumor but unlikely to be true.  25 year-old Gomez has scored 139 goals in 245 club appearances in the Bundesliga, but why would he leave perennial Champions League club Bayern Munich for Newcastle?

We always thought that  Oba Martins just wasn’t good enough to be given the number 9 shirt at Newcastle, and it should be kept for top goal scorers in the Hughie Gallagher, Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald and Alan Shearer tradition.

There’s a chance Nile Ranger could eventually win the shirt, and the 6’2″ Londoner knows that full well, and it should be a considerable  incentive to Nile to continue making progress  in his chosen profession, on the banks of the River Tyne.

Tags: Newcastle News · Nile Ranger

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 Billy1985 // May 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM

if ranger thinks he might get the number 9 shirt he needs a slap quick noone deserves that shirt at the club or anyone that comes in tbh. need to prove yourself to get it god knows how ac got it.
    skysports understands that bruce is winning the race to sign sl from birmingham

• 2 GeordieGerman // May 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

The number 9 shirt should be but in a display cabinet with a sign. “This could be yours” and nobody gets it till the fans are screaming out for them to have it.

• 3 boater // May 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

There is far too much mythologising about the no. 9 shirt.

ED – you say Oba wasn’t fit for it which is – forgive me – speaking with the benefit of hindsight. At the time of signing him he was a £10mil purchase from Inter – the top Nigerian striker and one of the continent’s up and coming star players … the shirt needed filling.

GeordieGerman – Carroll got it when he was totally unproven at this level, on the back of a promising half of a season in the championship.. it inspired him to perform even better, so you have to take every case by merit and stop being so hysterical please.

Ranger has so far failed to even justify a starting place during a lull for the club with strikers performing particularly well,, if he develops great, but nothing to shout about so far.

• 4 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Well, i fear to don’t know much about NUFC. Sure, i have heard of Alan Shearer…

But can you tell me about others famous number 9 in Newcastle? (I like ancient history, so, you can even tell me about the players of the last title in 1927 or those of 1969.)

• 5 GeordieGerman // May 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Hysterical… ? Me…. ? I’m not hysterical… I’ve never been Hysterical in my life… SO DON’T CALL ME HYSTERICAL !

• 6 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

has anyone seen nobby solano has signed for pools

• 7 JAMSHA // May 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Number 9 NOT FOR SALE

• 8 Davies // May 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

When Carroll was handed the number 9, I was sent a photoshopped Michaelangelo of God handing it to him, and I kind of felt that was somehow appropriate. There was something King Arthur and Excalibur about it.

It’s an important shirt, Boater. It’s been worn by some very important names. True, other shirts have been worn by important players, but the number 9 shirt, to me, symolises everything I have loved about our football, ever since I started watching.

Shame Arthur left his throne for a gang of thieves and gave up the right to his sword.

Too much?

• 9 lesh // May 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM

“Gomez has scored 139 goals in 245 club appearances in the Bundesliga, but why would he leave perennial Champions League club Bayern Munich for Newcastle?”

Maybe he fancies a challenge?

• 10 The Entertainers // May 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Some of the comments already show the bloggers true colours!
    How can you question the importance of the number 9 shirt!
    Even other team fans know we love a N.o9, how can our own supporters not ?

Away for a lie down, can’t believe what I’m reading!!!!

• 11 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Off topic: Look what NUFC did to poor Arsenal’s fans…

• 12 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

to be fair now u will never find a player that can fill the number 9 after shearer wore it not just because of the goals he scored but because he always tried and was a true legend as scoring goals isnt enough to get the newcastle number 9 u need a bit of class and in my eyes there arent any that have that about them anymore sadly id want to retire the number 9 shirt

• 13 gorskino10 // May 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Gradel wanted by Hamburg this must mean as i heard yesterday Elia was on the move and replacing him with a Winger whos small/quick in Gradel.

@The Entertainers

“other team fans know we love a N.o9,”
    Well yeah but i see it as more like we love an “Old Fashioned Striker”, Tall,Good in the air but can finish with his feet too.
    We as a fanbase love a player who gets stuck in and upfront when you see someone whos hard to strugg off the ball and pain in the ass for most defenders thats what we LOVE not the no9 shirt. but the no9 is just a reward for a player of that quality and its an honour like an OBE/Nighthood etc..

Its reflected this whole “Old fashioned striker” like Les Ferdinand/Shearer/etc… I really like players who work hard to get the ball back and are strong and powerfull like Edinson Cavani/Demba Ba/Denis Stracqualursi/Falcao/ etc..

• 14 ArtyH // May 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM

The No 9 shirt IS symbolic of everything a young ( and old ) Newcastle supporter believes to be the sole of the club. When the toon have a great No9 just look at the gate figures!!! Fat boy take note, and when we have a 3 up forward line of strikers we have always played attractive football.

• 15 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM

been linked with this guy in l equipe Cheick Diabate labeled the next drogba

• 16 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I’m 21, I’m a Yorkshireman by all accounts, but my blood runs Black & White. Why? Because when I was 5/6 we signed Alan Shearer, who turned down the cash, the greater likelihood of titles, all to play wearing that no9 shirt for his beloved Toon!

Though I maybe couldn’t understand fully at that age, he became my hero from then on, I pledged allegiance to NUFC. That’s how important the no9 is to me.

I lay no criticism at Oba Martins. He did his best, but never really fit the profile of a NUFC no9. AC however, he’s a scumbag for how he treat it in such a blase, dismissive way. One day ‘living the dream’ (his words), the next skulking off to the Scouse louses for money – sold his soul.

You should either earn it, or a PROVEN world-class ST should be given it.

• 17 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

CHeick Diabate the next Drogba???!!! Who the hell tell that?

• 18 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

apperently he plays for bordouex

• 19 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

• 20 The Entertainers // May 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Gorskino

The type of striker and the shirt go hand in hand mate

• 21 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM

@toonfan

Well, i know he’s playing for Bordeaux. If he is the next drogba: je mange un âne.

• 22 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

You don’t answer me about NUFC’s number 9 of the past. Was Shearer the only famous one?

• 23 Phatoon // May 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I think the No9 shirt should be given to someone who is passionate about playing for the club, preferrably someone of local upbringing who supports the club.

Also they have to be good and score loads of goals ;)

When people think of the team their first thought should be, oh yeah their CF/no9 is awesome, like they did with Shearer.

• 24 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

its just what ive read ive never seen him play

lol is my tranlstion correct u said “i eat a donkey”

• 25 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Gorskino10 – I’m a massive admirer of Falcao, he’s the best finisher in world football, in my opinion. Hard working? He’s a blinking lazy git, never chases down defenders, only comes alive when his team’s on the attack. Could say, ‘conserving his energy’. ;)

• 26 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM

@toonfan

Your translation is correct. You can also say: je mange un rat. I will eat a rat.

• 27 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

niafron

im guessing that means he is not very good

• 28 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

An article published before Shearer retired, niafron. Has stats of all our no9s.

• 29 Phatoon // May 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

@niafron: -

• 30 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

@toonfan

Well, it means he ‘s unlikely the next drogba. He have score two goals this season in the fench league.

I fyou want a bordeaux player, look after Jaroslav Plasil, Benoit trémoulinas or Fernando.

@coolcatcarter

Thanks.

• 31 geoff777 // May 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

What’s going to happen when Pardew gives Carlton Cole the No9 shirt?
    … and he’s our biggest signing of the next window … it scares me because it’s a lot more likely than some of the fantasy names bandied about here.

If Pardew gets 60million to spend … I’ll apologise to you all for my negativity … :-)

• 32 supervil // May 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM

@niafron

Shearer held it for about 10 years, which took a lot to do. Of course he’s made it special. But since you’re asking… former number 9s…

- Les Ferdinand 50 goals, 83 games
    - Andy Cole 68 goals, 84 games
    - David Kelly 38 goals, 79 games
    - Mick Quinn 63 goals, 133 games

Further back
    - Malcolm McDonald 121 goals, 228 games
    - Len White 153 goals, 269 games
    - Jackie Milburn 239 goals, 494 games
    - Albert Stubbins 237 goals, 218 games
    - Hughie Gallacher 143 goals, 179 games

Whether you know these players or not, I’m not fussed. I mean… you should know who they are, but that’s besides the point. Whether you know them or not… you can’t dispute that the number 9 shirt is either reserved for special players or makes a special player.

No doubt fella.

• 33 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM

@supervil

Well, i’m just a poor french guy who try to learn more about NUFC.

And i don’t dispute anything.

So tell me more about these players. I mean, statistics are fine, but that don’t say much about who were these lads.

Did you got any famous story about one of them?

• 34 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

TBH after what Carroll did to his No 9 shirt, i think the next NUFC No 9 would be hard to find.

I don’t think Ranger will get that number next season but i do expect him to score couple of goals next season. It depend on who AP signed as a Striker to take that No 9 shirt

Just out of curiousity, why not SHOLA AMEOBI take the No 9 shirt?

• 35 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Like toonfan09 said, I actually think it would be prudent to retire it, while it still has it’s integrity.

• 36 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Well, you know, Lassana Diarra is wearing N10 in Madrid, so you see, sadly, everybody seems to forgett tradition…

• 37 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Shola Ameobi is the leading contender for the No 9 shirt because

1) he is a geordies – local lad
    2) he is “loyal” , he wont move to other club
    3) he always score against Sunderland
    4) he always score goal
    5) he still got 10 years of football
    6) he can pass it to his younger brother – Sammy

• 38 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I like the story about how he was spotted. :)

• 39 southerngeordie // May 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

When it comes to the number 9 I think us as fans have every right to want to reserve this for someone special. Some clubs win trophies – we have star 9’s. Granted wouldn’t mind swapping some for a few trophies but for me the corner stone of this club is built on dynamic, fast paced, attacking football and the number 9 goes hand in hand with this.

Every club has their traditions for us our most famous is probably our number 9 – no other club in the world is a shirt so more revered than the Newcastle number 9.

I’ve heard people say retire it, it’s too much of a burden – total rubbish. If I was a striker coming to Newcastle my sole personal goal would be to win that shirt. It’s a prize in itself and that should be the challenge thrown down to anyone looking to wear it.

• 40 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Southerngeordie – what about when they leave, treating it with such contempt as to devalue it?

• 41 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

@coolcatcarter

Lol!!!

This is the solution! Let’s organise a trial, make some advertising for it, and you will have your next top scorer!

• 42 Toon1978 // May 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I’m sure a certain Mr Sturridge can come in and fill the number nine shirt lol.

• 43 The Entertainers // May 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Interesting comments from Pard’s before match. Couple of youth players in squad, but even more interesting is his comments on looking at new formations!
    Chelsea game will ‘be’ interesting to check out after all, insight into next season perhaps!

• 44 southerngeordie // May 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Unfortunately these things happen Carter – Carroll had all the attributes to be a legend, he chose not to.

I still believe there are people out there who see it as a trophy shirt. I bet if you ask any member of the reserves or the youth team which shirt they want on their back, any striker would flog their own grandmother for that shirt.

• 45 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Niafron, well we found Michael Richardson playing in the local park last year! He was a full-time electrician, now with a years professional footy training, he has appeared on our bench on a few occasions this season. He’s a midfielder though, but it can still happen, however slight the chance.

This thread made me nostalgic, so I just watched this. I still miss him…..

He was a super-hero! You knew there was always a chance of rescuing a game with him on the pitch.

• 46 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Shola Ameobi No 9 shirt?

Anyone?

• 47 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Watch that video Brutoon. Shearer even managed to inspire Ameobi to look like an accomplished finisher at times!

• 48 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM

@coolcatcarter

Are you sure of your link? I just found something about Neil Lennon.

• 49 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM

the link not working

• 50 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Coolcatcarter89 : the link not working, i also got the thing about Neil Lennon

• 51 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I’m on my iPhone, it’s working fine. Hmmmm? It should be headed ‘Sir Alan Shearer 1996-2006′.

I’ll try again:

• 52 Brutooon // May 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Coolcatcarter89 : Shearer is a Legend – thats a true No 9 Newcastle Striker

Newcastle United No 9 should be Inspiring not Frustrating

• 53 niafron // May 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Beautiful. This is footbal.

• 54 fungus44 // May 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM

A C was told to go because the price he went for was silly and ashley could not turn it down,when he approched them about a new contract he said i have sold you to liverpool ,helicoptor on pitch now fcuk off they going to pay you more than i can ,that,s from his family not him

• 55 toonfan09 // May 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

thts presuming that he told his familly the truth its not even relevant he has gone nothing more to say about it

• 56 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

You dont retire the number 9 shirt as much as Shearer was a legend. At the risk of all the wrath you lot can muster I preferred Sir Les as a player. Oh and he didnt have a contract ensuring he was the highest paid player at the club to ensure his loyalty!!
    It is the duty of whoever owns/manages this club to find us a number 9 fit to wear the shirt wether it is a nippy little goal getter like Andy Cole or a great allrounder like Les or Shearer.

• 57 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Brutoon did shola do your sister or something? Lay off it! Everyday day you come on with the same rubbish move on with your life.

Berbatov is a lazy git at Man United im sure their blog will take you.

• 58 boater // May 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You can spend all £35mil on one player who might not end up ‘clicking’ with the club… been there many times before, and as for the Falcao, Gameiro, Gomez fantasists- you are all due a big comedown come the summer I fear.

I would prefer to see 5-10mil a piece spent on a couple, if not 3, mobile, younger forwards who we can blood over the course of the season. 3 from: Wickham, Moses, Long, Ji Dong-won, Sturridge, etc.

• 59 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Fungus44 – that debate is hold hat now. Peoples’ beliefs are pretty much split down the middle.

Aye Brutoon. In the modern, money-driven circus that’s football now, I’ve lost faith that there’ll be another like him.

Shearer asked himself the question: ‘What will I get more lasting joy from, money and winning medals or, creating memories and living my boyhood dream, with the chance of winning something?’ He chose the latter, which is why he’ll be forever adored.

Now, we shouldn’t put so much onus on a single player because that era has passed, in my opinion.

Let’s just create a team and win something! (Preferably before AC gets his hollow triumph with Liverpool.)

• 60 boater // May 13, 2011 at 4:47 PM

@SelbyMag – I’m starting to think Brutooon has some personal issues too. He somehow manages to get a ‘shola is crap’ comment into every discussion.

If shola was sold, he would just turn on the next easy target.. it’s pretty sad if you ask me.

• 61 boater // May 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM

coolcatcarter – I’m not so sure. Shearer came to us when we were the second best team in the country… he honestly believed he would help us win the title. In his second season he suffered a career changing injury and tragically lost his pace,, he adapted into a top target man, but without the mobility, there were times in his last season or two when even fans were starting to wonder if he was entitled to demand a start in every game..
    not to knock the guy – still one of my all time heroes, but probably should have retired a year earlier, as he’d first planned.

• 62 fungus44 // May 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM

beardsley left and came back may be he might and be a better player for leaving.

• 63 GeordieToon89 // May 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM

has anyone been on twitter recenty to see if that cwarro has said anything else? didnt he say the other day we might have new owners soon?

• 64 GeordieTwo // May 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Amazed to see sensible comments coming from Ranger after all that has been in the press about his attitude. Hoping to see him improve next season. I think a loan would be a good idea but the club to send him to is the big question. I’m not so sure about Middlesbrough which has been suggested many times already. I think he needs to be in one of the lower Prem sides, like Norwich, to get the best out of him. Really pleased to see us linked with M’Bengue. This is the type of player we want to bring in, not some other club’s castaway like Konchesky. We must be very crafty with whatever amount we get to spend this summer.

• 65 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

@ boater – oh it was Alan smith the last couple of days! Brutoon had some wildly inaccurate stats to prove his argument that Alan Smith was as bad as Shola!!

Lucky for us all that Brutoon didnt have to witness Tony Cunningham /George Rielly or Frank Pingel up front in the 80′s all 3 made Shola look like Pele and Maradonnas love child!

• 66 woodsee // May 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Fungus on the Carroll debate.
    For the last time,if he didnt want to go then he would still be here.

• 67 NUFC_Richyg01 // May 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Gosling
    Barton
    Jonas
    Lens
    Best

• 69 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Maybe a bit like Drogba for Chelsea now, boater? He’s their talisman, people are beginning to question him, but they’ll soon realise the enormous void you have to fill, not only in a football sense, but his character too.

That I believe is the difference between Manure and the rest of the EPL, Fergie has become their focal point. Ronaldo, V.Nistelrooy can come and go without their power waning, but when ol’ red hooter retires, we might finally see the capitulation of their empire! :)

• 70 GeordieTwo // May 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Doubt we will see Vukic at this point NUFC_Richyg01, he has been injured most of the season. Had a knee op to remove something in his knee and it has bothered him ever since. We are very short at the CM position, even in the junior ranks. Unbelievable number of injuries, especially to young promising players. This has to change as we are never a very deep squad.Might have to use Raylor on the right wing with Joey and Colo in the middle and Jones on the right. Colo would need time to adapt to the CM position but he has the skills to do it. Right now is an emergency situation. Would rather have Strolla and Ranger up front. Chelsea back four are much too big and strong for Peter, he will disappear.

• 71 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM

@coolcatcarter89 where abouts in Yorkshire you from mate? Will you off to the Leeds friendly?

• 72 The Entertainers // May 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Hearing Pards comments on a new formation believe he’ll go 4-4-1-1
    Will ‘be’ interesting who plays the deep role if he does. It’s a role I honestly believe Shola could play.
    Interesting times.

• 73 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM

@The Entertainers Shola played there against the Mackems at home and destroyed them. Its a role he is better suited too

• 74 GeordieTwo // May 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Some of your prices for players coming in a very low and some for players going out very high Crawfordladd17. We won’t get 2 million for Xisco, he has been a disaster that nobody will touch with his high wage (at least 35K a week). Smith might have brought in a couple of million 2 years ago but not now after all the injuries he has no pace at all and leaves his feet to tackle all the time. We wouldn’t get Sow for 10 mill or Rondon for 5 mill either. Like your ideas on improving the team though. No way Ashley will bring in 9 players, maybe 5 if 2 are free. The rest will come from our junior ranks and we will be a thin squad again next year. Would love to see M’Bengue and maybe we have a chance there.

• 75 GeordieTwo // May 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Sorry should have said Jonas on the left earlier, not Jones on the right. Good thing it’s Friday. Hope we can get a draw against Chelsea as their title hopes are over.

• 76 Selbymag // May 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Not sure if anyone saw Forest v Swansea last night but I was impressed with Fabio Borini up front for the jacks. On loan from Chelsea 20 year old Italian striker.
    No chance Chelsea would let him go I guess but he looked class.
    Stand back and await to get shot down in flames……….

• 77 Jezza // May 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

geoff777 // May 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

“What’s going to happen when Pardew gives Carlton Cole the No9 shirt?

Well said, marra. The way I see it, we’ll be lucky if Newcastle even sign someone of the “calibre” of Carlton Cole.

Oh and if Pardew gets even £10 million to spend I too will humbly apologise for all my negative comments.

• 78 Tonytoon73 // May 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Here man are you lot thick or what, I think brutooon is spot on Ameobi is sh**.

• 79 GeordieTwo // May 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

More chance we would get Borini on loan than Sturridge so not a bad idea Selbymag. If we loan out Ranger he might fit in with a few minutes each game. Unless the owner actually spends to get 2 class strikers your idea is not bad. I think we will end up with Elmander on a free and 1 other youngish striker from France but not a big name.

• 80 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Selbymag – I’m from ‘ull (not ‘proper Yorkshire’ ;) ), return from my holiday on the 1st of August mate :( . If they announce a final, home friendly against a European team, I’ll be off to that!

• 81 Zangwill_Ho // May 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

My friend told me that we have signed Connor Wickham in 4M is it true???

• 82 boater // May 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

@Zangwill Ho…. I would doubt it mate. Don’t think it will be the rumoured £12mil, but 4mil seems too good to be true. Also the transfer window is still closed.

• 83 GeordieJordy // May 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Zangwill_Ho probably not because i doubt we will be the team to get Connor Wickham and he will not have gone for 4M

• 84 GeordieRob // May 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

When your friends tell you rumours Zangwill, make sure they cross their hearts first..

• 85 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM

coolcatcarter89 // May 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

All this summer is about is vindicating the sale of AC. For me, this would do it and is entirely plausible:

Sturridge – £12m – depends what you believe, but I think he’ll be available.

Taarabt -£8m – already believe something is done with this one, could be a match made I’m heaven.

Lens – £8m – real scampering speedster, hustles much like Bellamy did, plays RWF or can be as effective as a ST.

Then a couple of squad players:

Larsson – free – I think this one is also a done deal.

Tomkins – free – West Ham all but relegated, young England U21 CB/RB with a lot of potential.

Ji Dong-Won – £2m – Graham Carr has apparently watched him. Again, bags of potential and has already scored 5 in 9 international appearances for South Korea. A big factor is, it won’t be lost on Mike the commercial opportunities of capturing the countries potential star. Would be relatively cheap too, probably pay for himself thrice over thinking about it.

Out:

Perch – £500k
    Sol – Contract expired
    Raylor – £1m
    Guthrie – loan
    Routledge – £1m
    Smith – free (Leeds)
    Lovenkrands – £500k
    Xisco – £500k
    Kuqi – Contract expired
    A host of youngsters – loan

Including ACs fee a total of +£8.5m and a much improved squad.

If Enrique stays, I think that won’t be too far off. I’d be very excited about the upcoming season with those additions.

I’ve done this a fair amount of times now, this is the last, my official guesstimation.

• 86 boater // May 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM

@ToonyToon – As Bills’Son put in on here – he has probably earned us 8 to 10 points this season (the 2 wigan games, wolves, birmingham, etc.) which has seen us safe. You might have noticed we don’t have top superstar strikers these days, so why moan on and on. He’s scored the same as Rooney this season – and more than C Cole, Defoe, Crouch, Davies, etc. who have all had loads of starts.

It’s got to be one extreme or another with you aint it. Shame.

• 87 Zangwill_Ho // May 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I got the news today. BTW, hope it’s not a rumour.

• 88 boater // May 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM

@CoolCatCarter – good calls there. I had a look at Dong after that report and liked the look of him.. big, pacey, calm on the ball and at 19 bags of potential… better all round game than AC. Although interest in him at AC, Marseille and Leyverkusen so 2mil might end up being 5mil..

Sturridge would be a fantastic signing, already banging them in – are we really in the running though? Can’t imagine chelsea would sell now. You’re looking at 12 to 15 already as you say.

Pardew said he wanted to play Ben Arfa in the split striker role,, so there will be a lot of 1 up next season. A proven striker plus a youngster with potential would be a good addition to what we have. Then there’s Best who was scoring 1 in 2 before he got injured.

• 89 Jose Enrique // May 13, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Nile really seems to have matured since AP has got her. We gotta give both Pardew and Ranger credit for this :)

• 90 coolcatcarter89 // May 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Boater – banzai attack:

———-Krul———-
    Sim–Tayl-Colo–Jose
    —–Tiote-Barton—–
    Lens—-HBA—-Taarabt
    ——–Sturridge

Looks good doesn’t it? ;) Goal-glut!

More conservatively, swap Jonas for Taarabt and Larsson for Lens – horses for courses.

• 91 boater // May 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Good looking side … as much as I’d like to see Nolan replaced with someone more mobile – whilst recognizing his massive input this season – think he’ll still start more often than not. Still, I’d like to see:

—–krul
    s taylor/colo/willo/enrique
    arfa /barton/tiote/jonas
    dong-won/sturridge

• 92 GeordieJordy // May 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Finally get to see Shane Long play tonight.

• 93 Brutooon // May 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM

what? i am just saying that Newcastle No 9 should be inspiring and not frustrating.

i never mention the “Shola Ameobi” word