Nile Ranger Waxes Lyrical About Pardew’s Support

You’ve got to give Alan Pardew some respect for some of the things he’s done in a short five months at the reigns of Newcastle United.

Nile Ranger– in action against Chelsea

Alan’s managed to get owner Mike Ashley to upgrade the training grounds at Benton with underground heating, but Newcastle are also upgrading their overall coaching and medical capabilities at Benton.

That’s probably from the experience of working with Ben Arfa on Tyneside, and the 24 year-old kept returning to France for treatment and convalescence, from his terrible double leg break.

We often wondered why he didn’t remain on Tyneside longer, and that could be because Newcastle didn’t have the same class of facilities as Clairefontaine, and upgrading the facilities is good for the long term.

Of course we also have to realize that Clairfontaine, just south of Paris,  has some of the best facilities in the world.

Ranger had an excellent sub appearance against  Birmingham last Saturday, and his confidence seems to have returned after his first PL start at Aston Villa, where he disappeared in the second half, but hopefully he learned a lot from that experience.

Nile Ranger talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“The manager has been great to me – he really wants me to get this goal.” “He’s put his trust in me and there is no better feeling to be backed by your manager in football.”

“I just need to show him what I can do. I really appreciate his trust in me.”“The manager has never stopped encouraging me.” “He’s always been there to say ‘well done’ and ‘keep going’, and he says I have been doing a million times better in training. He thinks I will get the goals eventually.”

“You can’t forget how big this club really is. It’s up there with the biggest in the world, so I have to be thankful to be here.” “To know you are getting games for Newcastle is always good for a young player.”

“Sometimes I still have to pinch myself and say ‘whoa I’m at Newcastle United on a five-year deal’.” “They must rate me. But I must repay them – it’s a long-term plan.” “They’ve made me part of their future, but I have to prove myself still.”

It’s not an easy job for a top youngster coming through at Newcastle, because the players are instantly recognizable in Newcastle.

And it’s back to that Goldfish Bowl effect that Jermaine Jenas talked about when he left Newcastle for Tottenham in August of 2005.

Newcastle as a City simply lives and breathes its football, as Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger pointed out last August.

The 20 year-old Londoner continued:

“Quite a few people come up to me in the city.” “You have to expect that in Newcastle because of the great fans, and I don’t mind talking to them.”

“They come and pay their money to support us and most of them have season tickets.” “I’m from London and I know you don’t have such special fans at every club.”

“That’s why I will always sign an autograph or get a photo on their phones.” “They always encourage me, they are the 12th man for us.”

Those are good words from Nile, and since Alan Pardew has come in as manager of Newcastle, he seems to have had a positive impact on the youngster.

Alan started out by saying Ranger wasn’t doing the right things in training, and that he needed to fix that – quickly.

Ranger seems to have followed the advice of his London manager, and it will be a big feather in Alan Pardew’s cap, if he can being though Nile Ranger to be on the same level as local lad Andy Carroll.

We expect that’s what the Newcastle goal is – excuse the pun.

• roshan MAGPIE

May 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM

ranger can be the next carroll oly question is if he can reach the potential wt carroll has reached then will he be sold

• Davies

May 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM

He needs to pull his finger out. Skill, pace and strength will get you nowhere if you don’t concentrate and pay attention to what’s going on around you. That may sound harsh but I’m still a little sore from the multitude of wasted chances this season.

• Bell

May 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM

i dont think he can reach carroll’s level, however i do believe that he could still be a great striker in the years to come.

i thnk when the lad gets that goal more and more will start pouring in… hopfully!

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Ranger a million times better in training. How bad was he before?

• TimToon9

May 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM

@gg
    You’re just a bucket of sunshine, aren’t you?

• GeordieGerman

May 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

🙁

• Billy1985

May 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

do people actually rate carroll? i dont think he is that good tbh……£35m is a total joke for him. i didnt really rate him when he was here

• veto

May 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

shame his goal hasnt come yet, he was scoring for fun in the second string , he really does look a great prospect be good when the weight of this missing goal is off his shoulders.
    he’s looked ten times better than carrol for me during the same age brackets

• Partizan

May 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

They don’t say ”at the right time at the right place”

Ranger needs CCL games just like Carroll when we were relegated.

If we avoided relegation that season,AC would never have made to this level.His goals in the CCL gave him such a confidence which he took it to the EPL.

• The Entertainers

May 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Think this lad is a cracking prospect he’s still very young. Honestly think he’d benefit from a full season loan in CCC, even with the smoggies. It’s close to home, he could still train with us once a week, much like Foster did when at Norwich. Boro have a great track record of bringing along youth team players.
    But as for the N.o9 shirt, I can see it, not for a while, but wouldn’t rule him out!

• Reacher

May 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I take issue with the suggestion that Ranger has pace. He proved himself to be deceptively slow when he started against Villa, and not to mention completely anonymous.

• joppadoni

May 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM

@GG
    love the avatar 😀

Nile is learning what he should have learned 4 years ago but i put that down to his past. He grew up in a gang mentality environment.. this kid will be quality in a couple of years trust me. the boy has all the raw energy and skill just like a certain late developer, Ian Wright..

howay Ranger! would love to see him get the number 9 :DDDDDD

• bills-son

May 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Yet another player – after Barton, Nolan, Shola, STaylor, Ben Arfa and Simpson to publically praise Pardew.

And not one poster here has commented on it.

I wonder why?

• Toonboy_84

May 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Waxed lyrical did he?

• bigdan1980

May 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM

rooney,torres,neymar,sturridge, and a load of other top strikers were all playing and scoring regular for their teams in their teens. this plonker is 20 and he’s sh!t……he’s staying sh!t and he’ll probably be sh!t forever. as for him impressing in training, i remember a quote from the great bobby robson which went something like “in training he’s the most skillfull player we have better than the likes of dyer,luque and even shearer its so fustrating he can produce a bit of magic, go past 3 players then stand on the ball and fall over” (feel free to correct me there) bobby was talking about ameobi!! whom i also think ranger will turn out like. hope i’m proved wrong but i dont think so

• GeordieTwo

May 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I don’t think Ranger is as pacy as some do. I have seen him caught from behind several times now. Also selfish in front of net. That said I still think he could be a decent striker if he settles down, works hard, and concentrates on football. A tough challenge as a young man with a lot of cash in his pocket. Needs a mentor. Shearer would be ideal to work with him. In fact I would bring in Shearer to work with all the young players if at all possible.

• mattnufc

May 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Ever other article “Some waxes lyrical..”

• Jose Enrique

May 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM

EVERY ONE SEEMS TO WAX LYRICAL NOW A DAYS!!

and its he NPC not the CCC it changed to the npower championship last season 😀

• AngerOfTheNorth

May 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Waxed lyrical

Any chance of a “spoke openly about”, a “opened up about” or even an “explained” any time soon?