Gutierrez Happy At Newcastle – But Will He Leave?

There has been some talk in the local Journal and Evening Chronicle that there is a chance Jonas Gutierrez could leave Newcastle as early as this summer.

Jonas Gutierrez – happy at Newcastle

The only reason the local papers presumably would be bringing this topic up, is that they have had some inkling behind the scenes that he may be thinking of leaving, and it seems that he wants to play in Italy before his career ends, although at only 27 years old he does have plenty of time left at the top level.

Alan Pardew is certainly trying to bring in some new wingers this summer who have some speed, but we’ll have to wait and see exactly what class of player Newcastle can really attract when the chips are down.

With all the injuries Newcastle have picked up since Alan Pardew arrived, the club needs a bigger squad next season, and should be concentrating on bringing players in and not so much of letting some of our better players – like Jonas Gutierrez – leave the club.

Newcastle need more competition at every position on the field, apart from maybe goalkeeper, where Steve Harper, Tim Krul and Fraser Forster will battle it out in the summer to see who is Newcastle’s number one goalkeeper next season.

Jonas seems very happy with life at Newcastle, as he said this today:

“When I was young, I always wanted to play in the English league and I am really happy to be here and am enjoying it.”“I prefer playing my football here than Spain, it is more competitive although not necessarily better.”

“The Spanish, English and Italian leagues are all good in their own right, just different.”   “I would love to play in Italy. It would be good to go back to Argentina in a few years and say I have played in the best three leagues in the world.”

“That would be a great achievement for me.” “I do not care about that right now, it is something for the future, not an immediate priority.”

“If I have the opportunity in the future, I might want to try it to see how I fared there, but I am not thinking about that now, maybe later.”

“All I am thinking about is that I am really happy in this league.” “More and more Argentinians are coming to play in England because they know it is the best, just like they have done in Italy for years.”

“I am 27 but have not really got it mapped it.” “I am enjoying my career and am not thinking too much about the future.” “What I can say is I want to play a few more years in Europe before returning home.”

“I had three years in Spain, have had three here and have got another two years here and am really happy, but you never know what might happen.”

Jonas, along with his fellow countryman Fabricio Coloccini  have become popular players on Tyneside, and they stayed with the club when Newcastle were relegated two years ago.

Not only that,  but they both buckled down and showed their character by playing very well in England’s second tier, and helped to get Newcastle promoted with an amazing 102 points at the very first attempt.

Contrast that with this year’s Championship winners, QPR, who ended up with just 88 points.

We don’t want to see Jonas leave Newcastle anytime soon, and the Argentine so far has 112 appearances for Newcatsle with 6 goals.

Newcastle must keep the top players they have and bring in say five or six new (good) players to strengthen the squad in terms of both quantity and quality.

That has to be the goal this summer, surely.

What do you think about this?

Comments very welcome.

• toonfan09

May 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

2 years before his contract is out says to me perhaps his agent is trying to get him renewal as everyone else seems to be getting one

• Toonmania

May 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM

i think he is thinking about his future, he always said that if his friend Jose was to leave it might put a differant situation to his Newcastle career.
    i also think this means that Jose Enrique IS on his way (Prob the Binmen again!!)

• Graeme

May 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Where’s the suprise?

We all know that if a good offer comes in, for any of our players, FCB will take it. He showed with AC that he will play hardball, but if silly money is on the table, he will take it.

How much would he take for Jonas??

• geoff777

May 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Pardew is 100% sure Enrique to Liverpool is not a “Done Deal”.

Do you believe Pardew?

• jarnytoon

May 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM

As much as I like jonas I feel better knowing that if he did leave that we have cover in the form of fergie n ben arfa, n also pardew is watching tabanou of toulouse (as well as n’bengue to replace jose).
    Has any1 seen we’ve been linked with cheikh diabate from bordeux? 6 ft5 malian who’s only 23, I got a good feeling about him!
    You don’t reckon pardews just going for ppl with 1st name cheikh n hoping they all like tiote do ya? N’bengue n diabate both called cheikh lol

• jimmymagpie

May 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Doesn’t this bloke Pardew take the first prize for talking crap and misleading the fans. A month ago he was telling the media that he was well down the road to securing the signatures of two of his targets on free transfers. Today, in response to media stories that he has been turned down by nearly all his main targets, he says that transfers are progressing ‘ok’. I hope those of you expecting fantasy signings now realise that so long as this owner stays and the likes of the 3rd rate Pardew is manager, we will never attract the players we need. The latest name in the frame is the Mali ‘Peter Crouch’, who plays for Bordeaux. Give me strength!

• AngerOfTheNorth

May 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM

The thing is, I WANT to club to take the money if stupid offers come in. If someone offered me twice the value of my house I’d pack a suitcase and let them keep the rest, as I could buy a much better house. The same goes for players.

Having said that, I’m pretty confident Guttierez will be playing for us next season. The only reason he wouldn’t be would be because we’d got a great offer and had an even better player (or two) brought in. We’re under no pressure to sell him.

Besides, he’s probably waxed lyrical about his love for the club at some point…

• Brutooon

May 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM

We are in for Bordeax Hitman Cheick Diabate.

Sound like a good player, after i saw his stats (well, he is still young)

• bills-son

May 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I’d sell Jonas in a flash for £6M or more.

He flatters to deceive, ie., for all his effort and running he doesn’t score enough nor create enough chances. Just 2 goals and 5 assists in 33 starts this season – and no better in any of the seasons he’s played for us.

The stats for his partnership with Enrique down the left are little better – no goals from Enrique and 2 assists from him.

Thats a toal of 2 goals and 7 assists from two players held in high esteem. Not good enough.

I’d keep Enrique if he wants to stay and keep Jonas as a squad player – unless we are offered £6M+. Seb Larsson available on a free has 4 goals, 6 assists and 41 shots in 33 games. I’m not saying he is a world beater but his stats are better than Jonas.

• leazes upper

May 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

anger.what makes you think MA would use the money to buy better players.He’s never done that since he’s owned the club.sell player and replace with a cheaper 1.Even before AC went he was making a profit on transfers

• joe

May 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Totally agree angerofthenorth. That’s how Lyon became France’s top club after starting out as a nothing club not too long ago. Buy, sell for higher, buy better, repeat. Really don’t understand why people are so bitter about AC being sold for 35 mil. IMO liverpool paid more than twice of what he’s worth, coupled with the fact that his style of play can’t really cut it as the lone striker as he lacks mobility. Btw I’ve always been a huge supporter of the lone striker and 4-2-3-1 formation, as a 4-4-2 will only get you so far, flooding and controlling the midfield is the next step in the game’s natural evolution. Don’t believe me? Just look at the top 5 and the lone strikers they use.

• Rotonda heights

May 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I think it is inevitable that our better players like Enrique and now Jonas would want to leave.

Before Pardew was appointed, Enrique said he knew who the new manager was but had never heard of him. Kind of says it all. 3 rd rate manager, a classless chav of an owner who would sell his gran and a creepy slimey chairman.

Ashley could get away with all the good stuff like a wage cap, youth policy etc if he showed a bit of ambition and went out and got an excellent up and coming manager such as Poyet, Lambert or Clark who play passing football on the deck, not long ball and percentage crosses all day long.

Trouble is as someone said if Pardwho gets the push it’s back to JFK. Why do we stand for it?

• sweendog

May 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Quality player .. maybe his crossing from the left isn’t as good as it should but easily one of our best players, his runs, pace and dribbling skills are excellent, he is quality in drawing a foul .. we need to keep him and use him on the right though.. hope him and enrique stay..

• joe

May 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@bills-son

I rate jonas because he has good dribbling abilities and an ability to get past his markers which draw defenders to him, creating space for others in midfield. Next time you see him and enrique combining on the left just look at how much space there is in the middle of the park should our midfielders get the ball. If only we had better passers and more players who could run the channels we would definitely see better results. Football’s not only about assists and goals you know.

• Widowmaker

May 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM

@bills-son

Do you happen to think NUFC is a basketball team? 😀

• jwheelie12

May 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

£8 million then say goodbye and we can easily get a better replacement in

• Sav

May 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM

But money isn’t the issue. That is why we sold Carroll, remember?
    All ye Financial Advisors, lets see what Pardew does with the 50 million he should already have. THEN we can happily flog Enrique and Gutierrez if a silly offer comes in and buy better. But that doesn’t seem to be the way it works at the Toon, does it?

• LoonyToonyMagPieMan

May 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Does anyone know when the transfer window opens?

• The Entertainers

May 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I have a soft spot for Jonas, a proven international stuck by us when the wheel came off. He’s top quality on his day, but like so many lacks the consistency. Wish the lad could cross a ball and have often thought he may ‘be’ better playing behind a striker with his runs.
    Hope he stays

• carrollsinger

May 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Someone is scared of a certain hba taking his place!

• bills-son

May 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Joe said – Football’s not only about assists and goals you know.

It is if you want to win matches pal – nothing else counts. Fancy dribbling, hard graft running, you name it – assists and goals win games, cups and leagues. End of.

Your comment is one of the daftest Ive ever read on here.