Newcastle’s Hard Work On Training Pitch Paid Off At Chelsea

Lovenkrands played a different role on Sunday to what he normally plays, as Newcastle packed their midfield so that they were not over-run by Chelsea and it worked very well.

Jonas Gutierrez celebrates – hours and hours of practice paid off

The team selection was a bit puzzling at first with both Shane Ferguson and Jonas Gutierrez starting the game,  but Newcastle essentially played in a 4-5-1 formation with Peter Lovenkrands and Jonas Gutierrez both in midfield.

We thought both of them put in very good shifts for the side in unfamiliar roles on Sunday.

Peter talked about his role:

“It wasn’t my normal role, and it was some shift I had to put in against Ashley Cole,” “But I’ve done a similar thing at Chelsea before with José Bosingwa and I knew I was capable of doing well.”

“It worked well for the team – Simmo (Danny Simpson) did a fantastic job of covering for me when he had to.” “It’s been a fantastic season for me,” “A lot of things have happened with the club, and a few injuries have given me a chance to play.”

“I think I’ve taken that chance and justified my place. I think I’ve shown great commitment and I’m really proud of the way my season has gone.” “I just hope I can be involved as much next season and prove to people again they can rely on me.”

“It’s a nice way to see the season out,” “Going into the final game of the season with safety assured, you would have taken that all day. But we want to be sending the fans away on holiday with a good result and a good performance. You don’t want to be ending on a low.”

It was a good goal by Jonas from a Ryan Taylor free kick on Sunday, that got Newcastle right back into the game, after going a goal behind in just the second minute.

And it looked like the Chelsea defense were completely fooled by the set play, when Jonas seemed to turn away from the ball, which hit him on the side and then flew into the back of the net, completely  wrong footing goalkeeper Cech.

To any but the very well schooled in football strategy and set plays,  it may have looked like a very lucky goal, but no, it was the hours and hours of practice at the Benton training field which finally  paid off (obviously). 😀

Jonas Gutierrez made sure the referee knew it was his goal on the way back to the center circle, which was his third goal of the season.

But there’s a saying that fortune favors the brave,  and Newcastle got that bit of fortune on Sunday afternoon- with a brave and spirited performance – and they thoroughly deserved it.

Now to finish the season off on a high against an in-form West Brom side on Sunday – and maybe another well worked goal from a set play.

• Sir Erec

May 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM

S Taylor’s goal was proof that set pieces have been worked on again, though Colo should have done a better job with the first goal. However, Colo has been immense all season so am not too bothered.

Am glad that S Taylor celebrated with the team this time instead of by himself.

• Sir Erec

May 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Transfers:

Would like to see us go in for Fabio Borini of Chelsea, young, skillfull and out of contract so only a compensation fee would be required I believe.

Don’t want N’zogbia, good player but there is a reason we sold him.

Don’t want Carlton Cole. Transfer fee and wages will not be cheap, as well as this is a signing that will only take us sideways and perhaps backwards, as he will not be a top striker for Newcastle and will just hinder the development of Ranger, Airey and others lower in the pecking order.

• Sir Erec

May 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Can people stop blasting Pardew when we are linked with Carlton Cole and other players that are not deemed good enough by the Geordie public. Until a signing is officially made, no one should be getting ridiculed or praised.

• Darryl

May 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM

“It was a good goal by Jonas” – Really ed, REALLY!?

• Geordiedoonsooth

May 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Darryl Ed’s being sarcastic mate. Bloody hell some people on here!!!!!!

• partizanovec

May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Ed, where are the numbers before every comment?
    And this icons / old – new comments look is not that good.

• estechco

May 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Quite agree partizanovec. Don’t mind the icons (which you can change via gravatar.com), but the old/new comments and the absense of numbers is very stangely implemented. A step backwards, if you are reading Ed?

I also miss the next/last article links you used to have at the end of the comments. It’s a pain to have to scroll back up to the top of the page

• JUGGALO TOON ™

May 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

@partizanovec

I agree

• estechco

May 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

…when viewing via mobile, before people point out Ctrl-Home works in a normal browser

• toonfan09

May 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

people are crazy saying they dont want nzogbia if wigan some how avoid the drop he has pretty much single handly kept them up

yes he was a moaner and childish in the past but u all give ben arfa benfit of the doubt that he could change when he got here … he has grown up now he wanted to leave wigan last summer and then again in januray wigan said know and he just got on with his game and played well for them i laugh cos most praise barton on here for his reform and he has done way worse than nzogbia ever did

• toonincheek

May 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Sir Erec – Yes we DO need to make our views known on Cole.
    Wait until he’s announced and it’s too late.

N’Zogbia – Yes, we’ve shown we can put the past aside with Barton, and give Ben Arfur a chance to show that it was Deschamps who was the pratt, not him. But N’Zogbia – that’s a different matter. Not just his previous here, but I haven’t seen any evidence that he has put his sulky days behind him.