The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Jose Enrique To Make Decision On Newcastle Future Soon

9:26 am, Thursday, May 19th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

The final game of the season at home to West Brom on Sunday could be Jose Enrique’s very last game for Newcastle.

Jose Enrique – will need to make decision very soon

Ever since Andy Carroll was sold in January, there have been stories linking Jose with some big clubs, including AC Milan, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Manchester United interested, and earlier this week there was a story that French club Lyon were also keen.

Jose has had a couple of long interviews lately, but try to work out from what he says whether he’s going or staying – it’s very difficult with basically Jose saying he’s happy to stay or go.

And only last Sunday the Sunday Sun reported that Jose was thinking of doing a U turn and staying on Tyneside – so things are still up in the air on Jose.

Certainly his team mate down the left wing, Jonas Gutierrez, would like him to stay.

This is what Jonas said today:

“It is very important for me to have those guys around me, more outside the pitch than on the pitch,” “But on the pitch, what I have down the left side with José is something no other Premier League team has.”

“It is a very special relationship. We have an amazing understanding, almost telepathic. Having José playing the way he does is brilliant for me and because we get on so well, we know what each other is thinking.”

“He is one of the best left-backs in the Premier League, right up there with Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra and Gaël Clichy,” “He is only young so is going to get even stronger.”

“As long as he keeps thinking he has to learn more and more, there is every chance he will be in the Spanish national team very soon. He has all the qualities to be there, just needs to fine-tune his game.”

“Villarreal’s Joan Capdevila is quite a bit older at 33 so there will need to be someone to fill his boots,” “José Enrique is quick and clever, he has all the qualities to do it.”

“He is one of the best players I have played with. I have been lucky because I have played with left-backs like Fernando Navarro, who also played for Spain, and Gabriel Heinze for Argentina. They are all different types but all very good.”

Jose Enrique had another excellent game for Newcastle on Sunday at Stamford Bridge, and there’s no doubt  he has improved this season and shown he is a top class left back, and has a good shot at becoming a full Spanish International soon.

But most readers would agree this story has been going on for far too long, and there was even news that Newcastle will offer Jose a bumper five year contract after the end of the season – and he certainly deserves it.

We would hope that Jose would accept the contract and stay at Newcastle, but if the Spaniard wants to go – it’s simply not worth trying to keep him on Tyneside.

As we’ve seen over the last two seasons having players who want to play for Newcastle is so important for team spirit, and that has allowed the Magpies to get some top results this season against the top sides.

But Newcatsle will need to know Jose’s decision very soon, because they will need to target a top left back if Enrique decides to move on.

It’s really up to Jose now, but we hope he makes his decision very soon, and that he elects to stay at Newcastle.

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Jose Enrique · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // May 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Hope he stays. If not, preference is he moves abroad. I do hate to see an ex player on the opposite teams squad.

• 2 Banbridge Mags // May 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Hope he stays!!!

Love Ashley or more than likely hate him, but he is keeping transfers very quiet. I read this blog and fully enjoy it- but we’re likned with this player and that on a daily basis, raising our fears or dashing our hopes. Truth is, we as a club carry out our dealings these days on a much quieter basis. Sure, you can have a vague idea by knowing or hearing where Alan Pardew or Graeme Carr have been spotted but I think the players we bring in will surprise us, for good or bad. I think the club is playing a clever game by talking about minimul players and down playing the transfer funds available to try and get quality at the right price. You’d have to be an idiot walking into any market waving the pound notes – big windows anyone?

We’ll only really know who we have when they’re signed and sealed- anything else is just smoke and mirrors for me. I like everyone here am hopeful of a good transfer window and in the last couple we have done OK, be it players or just ridiculously good financial business. The fat lad has a financial plan and it IS working.

Have faith friends- sometimes surprises can be good. Tabloid crap tells you nothing except who we won’t get.

On another note and positively thinking- does anyone else think that sometimes a manager fits a club? Pardew’s doing a good job at the mo and ihope he’ll be there for a while giving us some consistency.

Looking forward to the game on sunday – our supporters club is doing a presestation to Joey Barton as our player of the season. Had to settle for a great engraved clock – didn’t thing a sterling silver hip flask was sending the right idea!!!!!

• 3 The Entertainers // May 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Jonas comes across as an intelligent fellow and cant disagree with his comments, Jose is for me the best PL LB this season bar none and quite rightly is being linked with top European clubs.

We can rule out Milan who ahve just signed at LB, Man U who have extended Evra’s contract and cant really see Lyon having loads of cash when it comes to wages, by all accounts France has a less superior wage structure and wont have CL football to finance it next season.

My biggest fear is Liverpool who clearly need a LB and the call to Munich is a big one too.
    Im sure Mr shely would give Jose top billing when it comes to wages at our club if he wanted to stay, what that figure would be is unknown these days of much prefered silence on the subject.

I hope for my biased eyes the best left in the world stays ;) Enjoyed watching him this season and he comes a close second to Barton for player of the season!

• 4 P.I. // May 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Would love to see him stay but he’s DESPERATE to play for Spain. I think he’s waiting to find out the standard of player we will bring in during the summer, if after a month it’s youngsters and free transfers then he’ll be on his bike.
    He’s just keeping his options open. Doesnt want to put a block on a move by signing a new contract and scaring other teams off with an inflated transfer fee, but at the same time doesnt want to annoy the fans and his team mates.
    Tricky situation, but the fact that we bid for a left back a month or so ago suggests whatever signings we make, he’ll want to go.

• 5 spitfire_ // May 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Honestly I don’t give a s*** does he will stay or not… There is no irreplaceable players, exept Tiote. I start to feel sick everytime when i read that he must make a choise… For me he will go and I don’t give a damn, because Graham Carr will find solution.

• 6 kev1664 // May 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I’d rather we sell him now than let his contact run down and see him leave for nothing. We will more than likely get in a player for around half his wage.

Enrique already earns 65,000 quid a week. I can’t see us offering him that again never mind more than that. I think a new contact may be beyond the realms of possibility.

Also he is 25 year old and desperate to play for Spain. He wants to get recognized and if he is in a bigger club he is more likely to get the call.

He has been a quality left back for the club and for 3 seasons now been our most consistent performer. I have no doubt if we ended up keeping him after the summer he will give his all but, I can’t see ilthat happening with a massive new contract.

• 7 Davies // May 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

We could let Forster stay at Celtic in a swap deal for their left back. That would be nice.

• 8 Geordiedoonsooth // May 19, 2011 at 12:04 PM

If he goes we need to maximise the money we get for him and make sure it’s put in to the pot for transfers. We will then need a quality LB as well as 2 strikers and a creative MF

previous post: Newcastle Interested In Demba Ba