Elmander Not Coming To Newcastle – Agrees Galatasaray Deal

As the season comes to an end this Sunday, expect some free agent deals to be announced.

Johan Elmander – agreement with top Turkish club

And we hope one or two of those will be announced by Newcastle, but one free agent who will not be arriving is Sweden 6’2″ striker Johan Elmander, who turns 30 next week.

An announcement has been made on the Turkish club’s website this morning and has said:

“Galatasaray this morning sent a statement to IMKB (The Turkish stock market) that they agreed with Johan Elmander in principle. We’ll inform the public once the final agreement is signed.”

We don’t know if Alan Pardew was ever interested in signing the player, but his lack of goals this year, after Daniel Sturridge arrived on loan in January from Chelsea, and Elmander was played out on the wing, probably put an end to any Magpies’ interest in the 52 times capped Swedish International.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle was hoping to persuade the Swedish striker to sign a new deal at the Reebok Stadium, but there was always very little chance that would happen.

We still hope Newcastle are interested in another Swedish free agent who’s available this summer, 25 year-old winger Sebastian Larsson, and think he would be an excellent signing for the Tyneside club.

• Partizan

May 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Best news of the day for me.

Never wanted him here anyway,,Dame N’Doye for me could be the buy of the season whoever gets him.He just can’t stop scoring.

• alex84

May 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM

good good, now..lets go for sturidge!

• connor_nufc

May 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM

No we don’t want seb larsson. Hes a terrible player

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Never gonna ‘be’ first choice, buy quality back up for the lack of fee!

Anyway we still have Shola. I’m quite sincere and am probably the only fan on here who likes him. Never grumbles, will play where told, yes we all know his down fall, lack of goals, apparent lack of interest and injury prone. But the lad possesses quality and we’ve all seen it, not enough granted but he’ll do for me’ as back up to our new number 9!

• boom boom cheick cheick the room

May 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM

although i thaught he would have been a good addition to the squad i never believed he would sign for us he was the victim of some very nasty tackles in both games against us this season i believed we would be the last team he would have signed for.

• roshan MAGPIE

May 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM

would love to see sturridge in NUFC

• carrollsinger

May 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Maybe just maybe the players coming in are better then we think we will get

• Young_Mag

May 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM

He must be going for the money because Turkey is a s**t standard of football

• G

May 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I would have taken him, just to give us another option on our playing style. Never mind, lets have a few quality transfers then AP.

• Rotonda heights

May 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Ed YOU hope, NOT WE hope for Larsson.

• Stuart

May 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Haha bang on there Rotonda.

• Rotonda heights

May 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM

g

Do we have any options on our playing style ? Even without carroll it’s still an awful lot of long balls and crosses. Entetainers says we have to have a big target man. WHY ????

Rooney(ben Arfa) and Hernandez ( ???)

• mashearer

May 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM

fuh another bullet dodged

• geoff777

May 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Larsson is okay as a squad player, free … so only wages to consider.

Sturridge would be a popular signing.
    He certainly has the goals to games ratio expected for a NUFC No9.

Rather pay for Sturridge than Defoe/Cole.

Can’t understand the Bothroyd talk unless we sell Best or Ameobi. All are about the same level. Best could improve …

• tony green

May 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Agree with The Entertainers…Shola’s not everyone’s cup of tea but will even turn out for us with a bust cheekbone!!! Some of the stick he gets is unjustified IMO..OK he’s not reached the heights we had hoped for but he’s contributed a lot more to the team cause over the years and had to watch the likes of Owen and Viduka paraded as ‘saviours’ doing one tenth of the work for ten times the money. Nuff said HWTL

• Solaidback

May 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM

The Entertainers // May 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    ———————————————————-
    Bit early to be drinking isn’t it fella…. you can’t be serious in that post surely???

If Strola was gonna show any sustained quality, I’m sure he would have done it in the past 10 years in the 1st team… he’s just a drain on resources which could be used elsewhere, I mean he’s been getting 30-40k/wk wages for the last 10 years & has naff all to show for it… get rid I say!!!!

As for Elmander, thank god he’s not coming to us, he’s no better than what we already have & I think we need to find someone who is able to play as a lone striker or along side Besty upfront..

• toonfan76

May 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM

find myself agreeing with partizan about Dame N’Doye. looks a decent goalscorer. I personally think if we can get N’Zogbia, N’Doye and Sturridge as our three main targets, Then some squad players to give us some depth, we will have the makings of a decent team. We shall see!

• supervil

May 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM

@The Entertainers

I love Shola! He’s the mackem slayer after all. I can’t abide this hatred for him.

Oh, and he’s not been receiving 30-40k a week for 10 years. Howay, don’t throw stats about that you’re not sure of.

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Yeah Shola fans!
    No in all seriousness I’m like the bloke, always wanted to play for us and as a fellow Geordie 😉 I’ll always have a soft spot for local lads.
    Besides you can’t deny he destroyed the Mackems! Good enough for me’!

• solano

May 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Entertainers, Tony Green,Supervil…….this is the Shola Preservation Society!……I like the lad too!! Although he has many faults he has convinved 10 managers of his worth and is our best forward at present…those who diss him in favour of Snoop Dog and Lionel Richie are only too willing to ignore their faults and have cheap shots at the Strolla….keep him for another 10years and just roll him out for the Mackems….”his legs are wonky, he’s hung like a donkey…it’s the Shola……I fell in love!”

• NathanH NUFC

May 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I think Larsson is a good player, People say he was crap against us, but surely everyone has a bad game?
    Truthfully I think he wants to join Newcastle, as he didn’t put much effort into clearing the ball off the line, when Saylor scored.
    For a free transfer id be very happy to take him on, as if we are to have any ambition we need strength and depth, then we can challenge for silverware or Europe (:

• Davies

May 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I’m chiming in with the Shola lovers here. Give the lad a break. He’s scored some very important goals for us, and when our main strikers go missing, get crocked, or simply can’t be bothered, he comes in and does the job.

His brother looks a talent too.

• Solaidback

May 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Yer all deluded, there’s no other way to say it… you make me laugh, you’d rather we keep a striker who has only hits the back of the net 70 times in over 300 games but you slag off other strikers like Elmander, Best, Cole etc etc who have very similar goals/games ratios…

Yes he’s been kept by 10 different mangers but thats probably because he produces what he supposed to in training but is unable to do it on a match day, well unless its against the Muckems, but you’re willing to forgo that just because he scores against them, pathetic…

I maybe on my own in this decision but I say he’s had his time & more, time to get rid!!!

As for his wages, show me proof he doesn’t get that 30-40k/wk if you can, as him being at the club for 15yr in total, he’s not gonna stay if his wages are in comparison to others is he??

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Eh aye mate.
    He’s our player and a natural Geordie! Of course we love him.
    Support your team man!

• Massive_Toon

May 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Dont understand what every1 sees in Larsson like??? He can deliver a decent dead ball and thats bout it. He is no better than Raylor and cant see the point in wasting wages on him even tho hes free. If we are going to make free signings then do it to cover positions we need. Think A Johnson and Zog would be awesome signings 4 the wide positions as they can both play on either wing, as can Jonas

• solano

May 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Solaidback…..he IS the best we have got at present…and him being a local lad does count for something….as you may know, I’ve been dubbed as one of the “neggers” by people like yourself who call everyone deluded because they see things differently to you….
    Shola’s contribution’s against the Mackems are very important, especially in these times, when fans’ ambitions have been clipped back by the club’s stated aim for annual mediocrity….that’s the regime you and so many here support….if it’s a limited fight for local bragging rights then we’re better having the Shola on board!

• tiotal football

May 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM

• tony green

May 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM

@ Solaidback

How can you have a tag like ‘Solaidback’ and not love Shola? Methinks you doth protest too much and that you probably want his babies. As for:
    ‘ show me the proof’.. wrong way around my friend YOU made the claim..your job to substantiate it.

Pleased to see that you haven’t resorted to puerile, cheap insults such as ‘pathetic’ and ‘deluded’ because others don’t agree with you.

I think your mum might be calling you in for your milk………………..

• G

May 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

RH, sorry bout the slow response, had a meeting to go to. JE is an adaptable player, who can play in the hole, or up front. Our current tactic of either hoofing balls into the middle with nobody there, or listlessly running up the wing to find nobody to aim for could have been solved by a player like JE. Plus he can play on the wings. I suppose its all allegorical now anyway if he’s off to Turkey.

• Jezza

May 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Looks like Pardew has also missed out on another of his top transfer targets:

• tiotal football

May 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM

@ solaiback
    here’s your proof…

he’s on £25K

and I have to agree with everyone else, WHEN he’s up for it he does give us an outlet and has scored some important goals for us.

one example being the first goal against forest last year to secure our automatic promotion after coming off the bench.

• Solaidback

May 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

tony green // May 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    ——————————————————–
    My mam died when I was 21 fella, so somehow i doubt that…….. talk about cheap, puerile comments, yours just takes the biscuit…

As for supporting my team, I have done for the past 3 decades, that doesn’t mean I don’t have my own opinions on certain players like Strola, Xisco, Perch etc of the current crop who play for us now, I’m sorry if my opinions don’t match the ambition of some of yous lot but as I said, they’re my opinions, get use to them as I don’t intend going anywhere, not soon anyways!!!

Just a point someone made that Strola is our Muckems slayer…. so what about the seasons when they’ve not been in the same league as us, does that make him obsolete then???

He isn’t our Best option up front this season, the only reason he’s getting games is because we have no other option & thats why he’s never has been or will be our 1st option…. no matter how long he’s at the club… yous lot just love him cause he’s a local lad but same as Saylor, he wasn’t born a Geordie, he was born in Nigeria, so using that as an excuse for him to stay at the club is the pathetic part!!!

• AndyMac

May 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I agree with all Shirley lovers despite the fact I’ve slagged him off in the past. Most clubs would love a player who can slot into a team when the first choice striker(s) are unavailable and still do a reasonable job by holding up the ball, bringing others in to the game and, occasionally, scoring. We should be thankful he’s around in the squad.

I also agree with G though that we do need a plan a and b for next season and I’d rather see a fluid, flexible front three even if they’re not all 6′ 5″ lanky streaks. Pace is what everyone wants nowadays and we are no different.

• kev1664

May 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

@ solaidback. What your forgetting about Shola is he has never had a sustained run in the team in the last 11 years he has been here. A lot of his appearances are as a substitute. He has always been se one fiddle to shearer, bellamy, kluivert, martins, Owen, viduka, cort, Ferguson and Carroll.

235 appearance in 11 years is equal to 21 games a season when you factor in all of the sub appearances and lack of a run in the first team 1 goal in 5 is pretty decent. In fact its probably guys like you getting on his back every single time he makes a bad touch or pass is what’s caused him to never get that run.

Fans like you are fickle, its started happening to Jonas this year too. Get on his back straight away. yes he lacks a final ball but you forget how many free kicks and corners Jonas wins to set the set pieces up which most of our goals come from. Not to mention the pressure he takes off our defence by running with the ball and giving us a chance to regroup at the back.

Some people are so narrow minded and short sighted that they believe the furthest they can see is the end of the world. How about think a little deeper and you might see some players in a different light

• tony green

May 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM

@ Solaidback

I get it now…. the tag is ironic…

As a great Prime Minister (also ironic) once said:

‘Calm down dear!’

Not going anywhere either.

Biscuits go well with milk as it happens.

Respect your right to hold your opinion. Pity you can’t do the same for others.

• G

May 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Have to agree with Kev1664 there. Most sense I have read on the blog for a long time.

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Too right, was saying something similar the other day about how fickle our own fans on this site can be. I’m not saying we have a team of world beaters and when they don’t play well
    I reserve the right to slate them, but not without due course.
    It saddens me’ to hear ‘supporters’ on this site just slating our players, our manager and our club for the sake of it.
    It’s not surprising either that many of the negative fans on hear appear to come from outside Gods country!
    Supporting the Toon comes naturally, yes I’m bias and short sighted when it comes to supporting the greatest club in the world. As corny as it sounds, yet it’s stil true, my father, his father and all went to the games my families black n White, it’s in the blood man!
    Just a note for all those who
    Complain about Shola’s lack of desire and passion, how ironic those comments are 🙂

• MT

May 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Elmander is old,he is not main target.we need focus to Demba Ba & Moussa Sow.

• Bucks mag

May 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Glad we missed out on Elmander, not sure about Larsson, he was atrocious when he played against us at SJP

• Jammydodger

May 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Missed on Elmander such a shame think he could have been a really good waste of wages on a useless player