Sebastien Bassong Was In Heaven At Newcastle?

Seb Bassong was always a very ambitious footballer, and it was almost certain that he would leave Newcastle when they were relegated – and he did.

Sebastien Bassong – while at Newcastle

Bassong was our Player of the Season at Newcastle in the relegation season of two years ago, with a massive 65% of the vote.

And he was eventually sold to Tottenham for £8M in the summer of 2009, a good deal for Newcastle,  who only 10 months before had signed the player for £500K from French club  Metz.

Bassong was one of those great bargain deals Newcastle have been able to pull off a few times in the last several years under owner Mike Ashley.

The Paris-born player turns 25 in July, and so far has 13 caps for Cameroon and a couple of France U21 caps, , and today has admitted that joining Tottenham two years ago was a big mistake:

‘I haven’t made some huge mistake on the pitch or anything.”

“It’s just happened. I feel that I have gone backwards, like I have gone from heaven to hell.”

“I have to try to find a way out because I have to try to play.’

If Tottenham is hell for the strong 6’2″ center-back, then we have to assume Newcastle must have been heaven for him.

Anyway, that’s my interpretation of what he’s saying – and I’m sticking to it. 😀

It looks like Seb may join another former Newcastle player, Charles N’Zogbia,  in perhaps wanting to return to Tyneside, but we think there’s little chance of Bassong ever returning to Newcastle.

If Newcastle could get him in a  cut-price deal, they could potentially be interested, since Seb is also a very decent left back – but Harry Redknapp would never do that – Harry will want at least his £8M back when Seb leaves the London club.

For the record, Sebastien Bassong played 30 times for the Magpies, and was the star player in the relegation season of two years ago, and always gave the team 100%.

He’s a good lad.

• Riska

May 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Does he not mean that his first season at spurs was his time in heaven- i.e. the season he played and they got into the champions league, whilst this season (which has mostly seen him on the bench) is his time in hell?

• Partizan

May 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I hate to admit,but if the oportunity comes to sign him for lets say 5-6 mill,,then deff we should go for it.Him and Charles back in the squad would give us a tremendeous boost.

If he comes,i think we should sell Williamson for 5 mill,and leave Bassong and Taylor fighting for that second CB spot.

• Tooncastle

May 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I don’t feel comfortable with players who left us at our darkest hour coming back to the club.

I’d much prefer to look elsewhere.

• wsquare

May 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

i think he meant the first few weeks in spuds.. not newcastle.

• tdt

May 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I’d take him and N’zog back, provided they have the right attitudes, prices, and appologise for buggering off in the first place! Not sure Bassong will be allowed to come back, think N’zog will though because Wigan are in the weaker bargaining position that spuds.

• supervil

May 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I’d have Bassong back……. but…. he was one of the first to willingly jump ship (according to Joey Barton). We did get really good money for him though… and he was awesome in that last year…

• boom boom cheick cheick the room

May 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM

unfortunatly for seb i dont think we will pay that to get him back we do need to bring in one ctr half with campbell on the way out i think he would be the answer id like him back anyway along with nzogbia i think we need someone a bit stronger at right back and maybe switch gutierez to the right with seb larson as backup a good stricker and were nearly there

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

May 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM

He would not be cheap- well we all know what Redknapp is like. Talking of which no doubts we will see the Bulldog on every TV channel talking about other clubs players- he does it everytime.
    I would prefer Samba myself.

• toonfan76

May 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM

@Partizan

do you really think we could get 5 mil for Williamson while paying about the same for Bassong?

• Partizan

May 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I don’t see why not toonfan76,,these newly promoted teams would jump straight with a 4 mill offer at least for Willo.

• Toon Sweden77

May 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

As Man City continues to splash cash all over, wich of their current players could be availible??

Adam Johnson, James Milner, Boyota, Weiss?

Wouldnt mind having some bargains from them. What happened to Michael Johnson? We were linked with a couple of years agoe but I havent heard anything of him this season..

• Partizan

May 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I don’t say deff 5 mill for Bassong,,,but IF the oportunity comes + he’s unhappy there,,there might be a cut price deal……maybe 6 mill.

Orrr,,,if they want Tiote so bad i’d take Sandro + 7 mill straight away.

• JUGGALO TOON ™

May 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I don’t think Ben Arfa is gunna be as good as we all think next season as its still a new league for him hes had a horrific injury which could affect him mentally on the pitch for a while and he hasn’t kick a ball around tidy in about a year, but the season after I think he will become class. I just hope the fans don’t get on his back and start saying he’s crap, sell him and all that nonsense as I can imagine a lot of people on here doing.

• nightfa11

May 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM

i wouldnt take milner back..hes sooo overrated its unbelivable..he hasnt progressed one bit..worth 7 mio tops.

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Big fan of bassong, would love to see him back but doesn’t he play left side like Colo and prefer the big haired fellow!

• shearerno9

May 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I think michael johnson is essentially finished, granted he is a young player but he has so many dyer-esque qualities such as a complete party boy, never being fit and when he is fit its only for a matter of weeks until he gets injured again…. no thanks

• Kurt

May 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Off Topic:

But is it just me or do some of you find it hard to log in at nufc tv. Cant get in anymore, when I`m trying to log in I instantly get to the sign up site. I know that i have at least 1 more month before it goes out. Cant find the place where i normally write my user name.

Anybody having the same problem ?

• brighter

May 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM

>since Seb is also a very decent left back

I can’t accept this comment.Don’t you remember that he played at left back position against sunderland at away in our relegation season.He was played very awkwardly.I’m really surprised you said that……..

• Davies

May 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I’d be happy to see Bassong back. We’d have our four quality cantre backs then.

Much as I like the bloke, I can see Willo getting sold, which I think will be a huge shame, but I see Kadar being involved more for the sake of his development.

Regarding Milner, I really think he should have stayed at Villa. He was better there than he has been anywhere else and his move to Citeh just seems to have been a massive backward step for his game.

Hopefully we can tempt Adam Johnson to come.

My transfer wish list would include Johnson and Sturridge. Not really sure who else I’d want specifically, but there’s a lot of quality out there for very little money (in EPL terms, anyway).

• Partizan

May 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Juggalo….I agree with you 100% about HBA,,but i don’t think there will be pressure on him from the fans,unless he doesnt show bad attitude like in OL and OM…99% on this blog never wanted him to play in the last 4-5 games of the season which a strongly agree.

But you never know,maybe this injury could bring even more hunger and trust me,,,i know Tunisian people very very well….next season HBA will have a point to prove.

Just watch

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I see Denilson at Arsenal is being allowed to leave, has stalled this year no doubt, but is still a talent and could fill Tiote’s void when he’s in ACN and of course suspended. Price wise who knows?

• Phil K

May 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM

No denying Bassong’s effort for a lost cause. many DIDN’T give a toss. I recall Bassong being angry at the lack of emotion to the relegation from several players. The local lads were cut up, but some of those not local didn’t seem to care, he said.
    But he WAS one of the first to jump ship, no doubt about it. N’Zog too.
    Both were and are decent players though.

• coolcatcarter89

May 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Do not want Zog or Bassong, absolutely no way. Both overrated for starters. Two, this is a new era for us, don’t look back. Three, imagine the atmosphere in the dressing room? Would be frosty to say the least. “Oh, hi guys. I know I jumped ship when times were tough and you lot took responsibility, got the team back in the Prem. Now I realised my career is going nowhere, I’d like to play for the very team I helped relegate, by sulking and throwing a strop.”

Doormats.

• Phil K

May 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

nightfa11 – thought I was the only one to think Milner is laughably over-rated.

• Toon Sweden77

May 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Entertainers: Denilson is leaving Arsenal because hes tired of never win something so I dont think Newcastle are the right place for him. Even though I wish it was.

• Phil K

May 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM

coolcatcarter – You are absolutely right when you say this should be a new start for us, and don’t look back. Still, though……how many have we taken back ?
    80’s – Terry Hibbit worked when he came back. But he didn’t want to leave in the first place.
    Nobby Solano worked too, if briefly.

• supervil

May 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Oh, and why would Spurs sell Bassong for anything less than the £8mil they spent on him?

Would you pay £8mil for him?

Or more to the point, can you see Ashley spending that for a player they made a lot of money on? I highly doubt it.

• The Entertainers

May 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Ouch Toon Swede, you suggesting we won’t win owt next season, such pessimism 🙂

• carrollsinger

May 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahha your never wear the shirt again have fun warming spurs bench

• coolcatcarter89

May 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Phil K – I weren’t around to see Terry Hibbit :). The nature of the beast has changed somewhat since then though. Nobby, he was a massive fans favourite. Top bloke, friendly, gracious and all fans would love to see him back here in some capacity, one day. All the things Zog isn’t and a far better player too.

Zog and Bassong returning, I don’t even want to contemplate it.

• veto

May 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

unlike zoggy i dont want bassong back , as much as i rated him .
    zoggy left under different circumstances .
    bassong used us as a stepping stone and paid the price for it , spurs may be ahead of us now but we will always be the bigger team

• Oba

May 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I’d much prefer to bring Bassong back that bring N’Zogbia back in. At least Bassong left graciously after a decent bid from Spurs was made. Zog just forced his way out when the going got tough – nothing to do with his spat with Kinnear, that was just the excuse.

• GeordieToon89

May 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM

apparently we enquired about bringing Bassong back in january but spurs rejected it cos of the defensive injuries at the club, so maybe we really do want him back? Yes he’s a good player quite quick aswell and strong but as people have said he was one the first ones too jump ship when we went down he obviously didnt want to help the club who gave him his massive chance to shine plus he will be going to the african nations in jan.. i hope the management see sense and sign people we aint going to lose for like 2 month we need a replacement for Tiote as it is already

• toonfan76

May 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I think we are going to be disappointed with this summers transfer dealings at first glance. A lot of lesser known players coming in. But i think some very shrewd scouting and dealings are going to be the key. Some good players will come to the Toon, we just won’t be that familiar with some of them. (Tiote type quality and price hopefully)

• xmindcrimex

May 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM

@Kurt

Yup, same problem here. I wanted to check out that Kevin Nolan interview, but couldn’t get in.. just as you said.

I’m sure it’s something wrong with the site as I have a membership until next August or something. It’ll come good I’m sure.

• geoff777

May 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Don’t think Bassong really jumped ship.

The club got and accepted an 8million offer.

Willo has done a good job for us, but occasionally grabs shirts or pushes in panic … he was lucky a few times this season not to give penalties away & not to receive cards.

Bassong is better.

• nightfa11

May 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Phil K

if u ask me citys weakest links are barry and milner..theyre average..but must have good agents…very good… so is they buy 2 world class CMs they could be fighting for the title..

as for Zog & Bassong…if im right they probably have a buy back clause in their contracts…knowing ashley 🙂 we can probably get zog back for 6..while hes valued at 9 😀 same for bassong..PROBABLY

• FarAwayGeordie

May 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Bassong had to be sold when we got rlegated, it would have been silly not to ..

got him for 500k and was worth 8m when we got rlegated.. a season in the championship may have decreased his value and the club was at such a financial balance that they were left with no choice but to sell

• Ericles

May 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Alan Pardew says we need some 20-22 quality players in the squad to improve and mount a good serious campaign in the Premier. Well that ought to mean if we can get Zog and Bass back at on reasonable deals then we should try. That goes without saying we need the likes of other “beardos”, “gazzas”, and “waddos” too.
    Who and where are they? Also – Hibitt was a
    cracking little player.

• NIMagpie1

May 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Zog and Bassong, both have matured since leaving the Toon. And having made a tidy profit on both, having them back would be great for the team. Add Defoe upfront along side another big center forward this would be a good start, assuming we dont lose many other first teamers.