Leon Best Could Become Surprise Success Next Season

Leon Best could start on the bench against West Brom tomorrow afternoon,  in the last game of the season.

Leon Best – good chance to become a success next season

Leon has only just returned form his ankle operation and he trained this week and could be ready to play a part tomorrow.

Best told the local Newcastle press corps today:

“Being injured came at a bad time for me in March.” “I know I was in form and playing well. I was scoring too.”

“The main thing is I have proved to myself that I can score in the Premier League and I just need to get myself fit and continue it.”

“I didn’t play a lot of games this season but my goals-to-game ratio is very good.” “I can look back at that any time I’m in doubt in the future.”

“Now I just want to get myself as fit as I can and as sharp as I can because I know I can do it.”

Leon scored 6 goals in 11 league games for Newcastle this year, and was one of the Newcatsle players who stepped up to the plate once Andy Carroll sought pastures anew at Liverpool.

Leon seemed to improve in those games, and looked very sharp and indeed he was unlucky not to score even more goals, as he had a perfectly good goal against Arsenal disallowed at St, James’ Park.

Leon continued:

“I thought myself that I would have continued scoring if I’d been fit because I definitely had the confidence. I felt great then the ankle came back to haunt me.”

“Hopefully that’s out the way now because there is nothing else that can happen to that ankle, it’s a matter of getting a few minutes on Sunday then getting ready for next season.”

“I’ve been training for the last few days.” “The first day I struggled, but yesterday, the day before and on Friday have been very good.” “Hopefully I might even get on the bench tomorrow.” “It would be a great way for me to end the season.”

“It would get me ready for next season and get me in the right frame of mind.” “Then I can just concentrate on getting fit again.”

Best ruptured his ankle at the start of this season, and that put paid to him making many appearances for the side.

But the injections he had on the ankle simply stopped working last March, and he had a recurrence of the same problem, but now we have to hope that ankle injury is a thing of the past.

Leon talked about the troublesome injury:

“When I ruptured my ankle ligament at the start of the season I must have broken a bone in there and there was some floating bone which was messing with all the ligaments in my tendon.”

“I had to get injections through the season and the last injection didn’t work.” “So it was just a matter of getting the floating bone out. It now feels fine.”

If Leon can show the form next season that he showed earlier in the year, and if he can keep improving, then he could well become a big success on Tyneside.

We liked the look of Leon earlier this year, and he seemed to be rising to the occasion as he scored goal after goal – certainly he looked the part for the Magpies in that stretch of games after some of us had simply written him off at Newcastle.

Leon has now shown he can score goals in the Premier League, and he seems to have an excellent attitude and a burning desire to be a success at Newcastle.

You cannot ask for much more than that from a Newcastle player now,  can you?

• kilcline

May 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Vital he is our 3rd choice otherwise we would of had a bad transfer window.

Good player but not good enough to start for a top 10 team.

• Brutooon

May 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM

i be happy with him as our 3rd choice striker, and maybe Ranger as 4th and Airey as 5th

We need to find our no 1 and 2 striker during the summer.

Forget that No 23 guy. Time’s up for him 🙂

• Jose Enrique

May 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Would be happy with having best as our 3rd striker. Or maybe our second if we only play one up front next season

• Hebburn Mag

May 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hes proved that when given time to settle in he can become a great player for us, bearing in mind hes only young and this is his first season in the top flight. He will be soo important next season if we want to get top, hes capable of getting 10 – 15 goals a season he just needs regular games. He can and will be in our starting 11 next season along with a star striker banging in the goals…. top 10 next season!!

• The Entertainers

May 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM

As I said earlier jury still out for me, but still positive about the lad.

Would enjoy seeing him along with 2 new signings and Shola. Next season as our 4 strikers.

Ranger out on season long loan and Lover as cover up front and on wings, even Shola Covington as ACM , where he’s looked good on occasions.

• madman67

May 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM

i like every1 else doubted his EPL ability, nd initially thought he would really struggle with the step up to EPL. but after a slow start he did improve with match exp nd started scoring with an enviable 1 in 2 starts ratio.

i think he could become our no2 choice for this position. he is shoulders above ranger, who imo just wont improve enough to make an impact in EPL. he can dribble a bit nd run at players but his scoring abilities are woeful, lets be honest.

i hear the “hes better than carrol was at same age…needs steady run in 1st team…etc” i just dont agree with them. when watchin a few reserves games, lua lua was head nd shoulders above rest of team, nd airey looked a natural goal scorer. so am hopeful both these can step up in same way fergie has, which must be applauded eh. well done shane son, done yourself proud.

also a little worried with amount of goals krull has cost us this season. i hope these blips r just a result of him gaining EPL exp. not sure who will be our No1 keeper nxt season.

with a natural goal scoring striker we can cement our mid table existence, nd with another 2 creative signings, who can goal score nd assist then we could confidently expect a top ten finish.

am hoping AP can build on a grt return to the top flight. he keeps saying the right things, so i just hope he can deliver these promises nd improve our squad whilst keeping our core team players. it would be a blow loosing jose, but for a big enough fee we should be able to replace. we need at least 3 good players who r as good as if not better than the present core team players. add to that a couple of young uns who step up shane ferguson being 1, then we could have a cup winning squad, nd a capable top ten league team.

• Fenham Boy

May 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I think with Best it’s about confidence and if he continues to improve he can be a reasonable squad player but he’s not good enough to deserve a regular start for a top half Premier team nor good enough to stop a good youngster from coming through

• roshan MAGPIE

May 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

BEST IS THE BEST STRICKER WE HAVE NOW IN THE SQUAD

• GeordieToon89

May 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM

6 goals in 10 starts sums it all up for me.! carry that on all season he’d be on 20+… his workrate is good he wins everything in the air and has too quite good feet his confidence was shot to pieces after we wer booing him even though he hardly got a chance hes had bad luck with injuries and hopefully next season after a good full pre season he will thrive alongside another top quality striker(Sturridge/Gameiro) and Ben Arfa behind i think he will be scoring for fun

• gorskino10

May 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

@GeordieToon89
    True but i dont think he does work hard enough he is the typical Poacher but in the games i remember he doesnt score goals from picking it up in the middle and scoring from distance or making his own goals all his goals were “Tap-Ins” which is where Leon thrives, him with 6 goals in 0 and Demba Ba with 7 in 12 could become a really good partnership, Ba does all the leg work upfront and Loen taps ins the goals Ba cannot finish. plus Shane Long and we could have an attacking force which is on par will our really good defence, ONLY reason we can win games now is we have Colo and the rest of em and Tiote shielding the back 4.

Just hope we dont lose Jose and that will become the catalist for the Summer losing top players and replacing them with players on par. and not improving as a club.

• veto

May 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

hold on there , 3 of his goals came in one match .

• AndyMac

May 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

and anyone could have scored against those hapless Hammers that night. Jeez even Ranger nearly scored 🙂

3 goals in eight plus 1 as sub is not so good is it ?

Best, along with Shola, should be a bench striker but I wouldnt be happy if he formed part of our opening day first XI

• max

May 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM

can defoe be his partner next season??

• cupiddstunt

May 21, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Hold on there, he had two perfectly good goals chalked off so you are going to argue over one goal????

• Irish-Toon

May 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM

As I’ve always said about Best, he may not be the most skillful player you’ll see but he doesn’t half work his socks off. I’d be delighted if he was still part of the team next year. He give’s 100% in every game. I’ve seen him trouble some of the best defenders in the world when he’s played for the Republic.

• tweaked

May 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM

his got my vote for next season… bestie has proven to come good when needed… just need a decent partner next to him

• Crawfordladd17

CM Barton Guthrie
    LM N’Zogbia LuaLua
    CAM Nolan(c) Ben Arfa Vuckic
    ST Ba Campbell Best Ameobi Loverkands Ranger Donaldson Airey Sammy Ameobi

• Geordie Jonny

May 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I went to the Bolton game when we drew 1-1 at SJP and Best was the best (haha) on the pitch. He won every single ball in the air and had a bunch of great chances, he was really unlucky not to score. I think he’s a class act especially considering he came out of the cold and scored a hat trick. He has the instincts and strength that Shola seems to lack so often and hopefully he’ll make a great supporting striker next year and will play a lot more games.

• xmindcrimex

May 22, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Remember hearing good things about him last pre-season, and I think he was top scorer there. Had a really good feeling about him for the start of the season. Unlucky with his injury. Super glad when he managed to break his duck in January.

I think he should be used well next season. Have a feeling he can develop into a fine player for NUFC. I’m can’t remember all his goals, but from what I can remember, they weren’t all easy chip ins. Just very clinical and well taken goals.

I like the lad.