Newcastle Have Surpassed Expectations This Season

Most Newcastle fans will agree that the team has surpassed expectations this season.

Danny Simpson – in action at Villa Park

And even if the lads don’t pick up any points tomorrow, at home to West Brom in their final league game of the season, then 45 points is not too bad a return on the first season back, and it’s 11 points better than we did two years ago when the side were relegated.

West Brom have been transformed since Roy Hodgson took over earlier in the year, and what a season Roy has had, after failing badly at Liverpool, but then showing what a good coach he really is, by reviving the fortunes of West Brom.

And we watched Sky Sports last night and saw the reports on Wigan, Blackpool, Wolves, Birmingham and Blackburn – and the torment their fans are going though at the moment, since two of those clubs will take the drop after tomorrow’s games.

But the betting has to be that the current bottom three will be relegated, since it’s hard to see Wigan getting anything at Stoke, and Blackpool getting anything at Old Trafford.

Their only hope is that Tottenham annihilate Birmingham at White Hart Lane and Birmingham go down on goal difference.

That would be true If Birmingham lose by one more goal than Blackpool lose at Old Trafford – because then Blackpool would be safe and Birmingham and Wigan would go down.

Blackpool have scored more goals than Birmingham and the goal differences would be equal, so Blackpool would sneak above Birmingham, who have been simply hopeless since the Carling Cup final.

I’d be very worried if I was a Birmingham or Blackburn fan right now,  and it seems the season has come to and end at the right time – otherwise both would probably have been relegated and both teams will need to strengthen big time in the summer, or risk relegation next season.

Danny Simpson is pleased with the way the season has gone for Newcastle, and the former Manchester United player had this to say today:

“I think we’ve exceeded some people’s expectations – not our own, because we knew with the players we’d got and the team spirit here we could do what we wanted, really,”“But we’d come up from the Championship and people had tipped us to get relegated. We’ve proved people wrong and it’s been a pretty good season.”

“The manager left, Andy Carroll left, and we’ve had a couple of results go against us. You do start to get that feeling from two years ago. You can feel what the fans are thinking. But we’ve not really ever been in it (the relegation scrap). I don’t think we’ve ever been in the bottom three.”

“Whenever we’ve had a few bad results we’ve bounced back and pushed ourselves back into mid-table. When various things have gone on that aren’t in our control, we’ve moved on.”

It’s good not being in any relegation trouble at all this season, so different from two years ago, and now the team must strengthen in the summer, and we could even be in very decent shape a year from now.

That’s the hope.

• bills-son

May 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

We have surpassed expectation this season.

You wouldn’t think it though from some of the neggers who post here.

• roshan MAGPIE

May 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

i would like to see shola play in CDM position cause he can hold the play better than attacking

• Spotlight Kid

May 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Yeah, bills-son, spot on again! We scared the Prem to bits, sold our one striker who could score, sacked the best manager we’ve had since SBR, appointed a man-muppet to oversee asset stripping and still finished five whole points or less above the drop zone.

For a team attracting 50-odd thousand for home games (with a turnover to match) that is definitely good going, no doubt about it. HWTL, eh?

• geoff777

May 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I get sick of reading posts by possies.

We have incompetent management that have insulted our heroes, got us relegated.

With a bargain-bin philosophy that saw 50,000 crowds watching a decimated and weak squad with no firepower for the second half of the season.

We’ll see in September how many players have gone and how much cash the owner has spent.

Having followed closely the transfer windows since Ashley took over, I’m not expecting too much.

I look forward to the day these fools have stopped playing with our club and have slithered back to their casinos in London.

• CT

May 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

If we finish top ten then none of us could have expected that.
    More so after Judas and Hoots left.
    Pards has been steady without being spectacular, but I am more confident that he will get decent money to spend from Mikey and Dellboy than Hoots would have got.
    Realistically, you can see 1 or 2 frees ie; Boothroyd etc and 1 or 2 buys ie; Zog/Bassong etc and maybe a couple from overseas but it will all depend on who stays ang goes, but it will be interesting for sure as this will tell us what Ashley`s actual future intentions are and whether Pards is just a yes man or a MANager proper!!

• bills-son

May 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Spotlight Kid – the cup is either half empty or half full. You call never being in the bottom three, staying in the Prem and having at least £35M in the bank to spend on players – the cup being half full or – knowing the neg crap you write – empty.

I call it exceeding expectations and giving us a great platform to move on from and improve the squad for next season.

And, you won’t be surprised to know I think Pardew has done a brilliant job (yes – brilliant) and that in Ashley we have one of the best (yes – the best) owners in the Prem

Stick that in ya pipe and smoke it.

• sweendog

May 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I think at the start of the season we were hoping for prem survival ..shame when you think how big a club we are and how the chairman doesn’t invest .. lets see what the summer brings .. if we get at least the 35 mill maybe just maybe ashley will be seen as a good owner .. until then he is and always has been a nightmare ..

• sweendog

May 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I think this summer we’ve a chance to move up to top 8 .. maybe top 6 .. we could compete with Liverpool/ spurs/ everton .. thats were we should be .. until then I’ll see our current management as not acheiving..

• Stuart

May 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Haha well said bills-son!

Very happy with the way this season has went, can’t wait to see what happens over the summer.

• GeordieRob

May 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I’ll put this argument on it’s head. I think the people accused of being negative are actually optimists and those being positive are extremely sceptical.

I think the negs are of the view that anyone would be better than our current owner/ ceo/ manager. Anyone taking over the club would do a better job. I’m apparently a possie: I believe the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. Ashley has made some huge mistakes, but a dodgy sale to dodgy owners could be catastrophic for the club (Venkey’s anyone). Ashley has become somewhat predictable… Bargain buys can be effective – HBA & Tiote. Throwing cash around is just wasteful – Jo, Adebayor, Robinho, Dzeko etc.

• Davies

May 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

With you on that Bills-Son. I’ll get called an apologist by some of the reactionaries on here, but I think we’ve done alright this season and the owner and manager seem to have got a grip of what’s needed to move on. I only cared about 17th at the start of the season. If a few results had gone the other way, we could have been looking at European places.

Regarding Hughton, I’d be very apprehensive to say he was one of the best managers we ever had. I like the bloke a lot (who wouldn’t), but I do think he was out of his depth a bit. I wanted him to have a crack at a full season, but I’m kind of glad he didn’t, be cause I’m pretty sure a lot of people would have turned on him, had results continued the way they were when he went.

• GeordieGerman

May 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Hoots the best trainer since SBR? I think that’s an insult to the memory of SBR. Of course Spotlight Kid maybe right and that’s why Chris is doing such a good job of managing… ?

• coolcatcarter89

May 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Spotlight Kid & geoff777 – The table doesn’t lie. If we win and finish in the top-half, how can you have any reason to moan? Plain depressed is what you seem to me.

• dave 1961

May 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM

if under 25% win ratio is brilliant I hope Pardew does not have a bad one.

• The Entertainers

May 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Overall a very good season for where we’ve come from, but expectations are growing and a similar season or worse will NOT do next season!
    Pards has my faith in him at the moment, I’m enjoying the boards philosophy on transfers and think we have a very good coaching/ scouting staff.
    As the season ends I’m a very happy fan, but as we all know memories are short in football.
    Over to you Alan 😉

• Burni

May 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Geoff….. I get sick of reading posts by possies….. You think most people like coming on here to read u and others slagging off everything that the club does when, in fact, we have had a very good season? I think u need to calm down mate!

• Cardboy

May 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I know it’s all ‘ifs and buts’ but if Nufc win by four tomorrow (not unheard of this season) and fulham lose by three. Results going our way could see a finish in eighth spot and who could possibily complain about that. 🙂 Just goes to show how close the whole division has been this season.

• moonraker

May 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I said before and I’ll say it again I’ve not been this optimistic about our squad for years.

Ashley has made mistakes and admitted it, but if you look back on the Hall/Shepherd era we lived beyond our means and in the end they were forced to sell because of the financial state of the club.

They also had taken huge salaries for years and never really built on KK’s legacy, hence we won nothing!

It’s not long ago that MA was drinking in the Bigg market with fans until he made some disastrous decisions and it all changed. I think he will deliver success in the end even if some decisions made are just lucky;like selling AC for 35 mil and getting away with not signing a replacement!

We should not delude ourselves; we’ve had owners ripping us off for years and cashing in on the fantastic support for which we’ve had nothing back in return.

However Newcastle is one of the only clubs not in debt and now making an operating profit as well. With some good support, tv money and good investment in players (like Tiote, ben Arfa etc) we can win something next season and finish in the top six!! 🙂 HWTL:-)