Steven Taylor Can Become Key Player Again At Newcastle

One of the most satisfying things of the last three games for Newcastle has been the form of local lad Steven Taylor.

Steven Taylor – scores first goal for Newcastle on Sunday

Steven came in for Mike Williamson, who broke his arm in training, and Alan Pardew told the 25 year-old to take his chance and he’s done just  that.

Not only did Steven regain his old form at the back for Newcastle, to show he’s still got it in him – we were wondering about that –  but he also scored a good goal in each of the three games,  from set plays.

With his three goals that means Steven has scored almost a quarter of his 13 goals for Newcastle – in just 3 games – so how many could he get next season becomes a very good question.

With Newcastle specializing in set plays, Steven will presumably become a very valuable member of the Newcastle team next season, and could get the nod over Mike Williamson, if only because of his goal scoring prowess.

Mike has yet to score for the Newcastle side.

Steven was our Man of the Match again on Sunday, and he had another very solid game.

This is what Steven told the local Newcatsle press corps:

“It’s a strange time to be finishing the season because I feel as though I’ve just really got my fitness back,” “I haven’t played anything like as many games as I would have liked.”

“But the manager has been fantastic with me and when I got my chance in the last three matches I’d like to think I took it.” “Who knows who might arrive in the summer, but having ended the season in the team, I’d like to think that shirt is mine at the moment.”

“Hopefully, I’ve let people know that’s my spot, and I’m not about to let anyone take it off me.” “It’s been a difficult season personally because injuries have kept me out of the side,”

“When I’ve been fit, I’ve generally been fairly happy with how I’ve been playing.” “My first game back was the home draw against Chelsea and I had a little run where I was just starting to feel comfortable again.”

“Unfortunately, I got another injury against West Ham, and that’s what kept me out of another run of matches. When I came back, I always felt like I was playing catch-up in terms of everyone else’s level of fitness.”

“When you’ve been out for a while, it’s never easy to pick up the pace straight away.”

Steven’s poor level of fitness would explain why when he has played  season,  he never looked like the Steven Taylor of old, because it does take a run of games to get back into the swing of things, especially in the Premier League.

And we should remember that Steven started his career as a center-forward and of course he just loves scoring goals.

If he can show the form of these last few games next season, and continue scoring goals,  he will certainly attract the attention once again of the England selectors.

Taylor played for all the England Youth sides and 29 times for the England U21 side with 4 goals, and he also has one England B cap.

And one thing we’ve always liked about the Greenwich-born player is that he’s got terrific enthusiasm and passion for the club.

Steven has now played 187 times for Newcastle with 13 goals.

• roshan MAGPIE

May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

i like saylor playing cause he comes forward like pique and is very good in set plays and can score goals

• toonfan09

May 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

i say put taylor at right back good at going forward and we need the hight of williamson at the back to deal with crosses

• Magpietillidie22

May 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Taylor is back on form, at his best he is a john terry in the making but he is very much a confidence player. Pardew seems to have stroked Taylors ego perfectly

• Magpietillidie22

May 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Lost out on albin, whether we were actualy trying I dont know, Im sure if we were we could have out done espanyol lol

• Brutooon

May 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

His goal over Game ratio is so good for a defender

Even better than Ameobi the azy guy

• JAMSHA

May 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Y NOT PLAY S.TAYLOR AS A STRIKER 🙂

• Davies

May 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Seriously, I’d play Taylor as a defensive midfielder. His biggest problems come from stupid mistakes, like handling and leading with his elbows. At least from midfield these are less likely to result in penalties against us, and he’s already shown that he likes to get forward.

He can be very dicey at the back as well. Be nice to get Samba in as a permanent partner for Colo and then have the option of Willo or Taylor, if either are injured or suspended. It also opens the door a bit more for Taylor, because Tiote will get a lot of bookings.

Just a thought.

• Aus_Toon

May 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Could be something to do with Carroll having left – great to Taylor in good form though; would be good to see him live up to that potential he’s shown in the past.

• John

May 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM

He had a solid game on sunday im sorry what game were you watching? Lets be fair hes not a CB I really like him at RB bombing forward but not a CB hes marking, and decison making, and posistions are awful at times. Mike Williamson is a good solid defender, limited but soild, had a good season. The sloppy goals our defence are famous for and have cost us games wer very limit all season. I wouldnt be as fast to jump on the ST band wagon bcoz he got 3 goals he cost us 3 by my calculations. We should buy bassong back play him at LB willi and colo CB and ST at RB wed be nice and strong and compact with masive height.

• Felipe

May 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Wow John, if Kevin Keegan had you as his defensive coach we’d have won the Champions League for sure 🙂