Dan Gosling – My Knee Is Now Fine

Good news from Dan Gosling today, that the operation he had early this year,  has cleared up his long term knee problem.

Dan Gosling – will return for pre-season in mid June

Dan had an ACL injury he picked up in March of last year, while playing for Everton against Wolves, and he finally came back from that in early January.

But after playing a few minutes in the game at Sunderland, where he made his first team debut,  the knee swelled up and another operation was necessary to clean out the knee, and some scar tissue was also removed at that time.

That seems to have done the trick,  but Dan was still unable to make it back before the end of the season.

He will now take a short break and then return to get himself fully fit in mid June, two weeks before the rest of the squad are due back.

This is what he told the Newcastle Journal today:

“I need a break, I’ve been in the gym for about a year now and it’s just mentally draining,” “I’ll get a few weeks off then I start early before the lads come back so hopefully from the first day of pre-season I’ll be with the lads and raring to go.”

“My knee is good, I’ve had a few other niggles obviously because I’m not used to training, my body isn’t used to being out there.” “I’ve had a few set-backs with my thigh and groin, but the knee is fine and I’m just raring to get back into playing regularly.”

“I was always playing catch up this year and everyone knows that if you miss pre-season it’s going to be a difficult year for you,” “Obviously I’ve had a few set-backs with my knee and in the end I just wanted to be fit.”

“But hopefully next year I can start off on an even keel with everyone and hopefully be good enough in pre season to get a starting place in the first Premier League fixture.”

“It was hard to interact with the lads at first,” “They’re out on the training pitch and coming back in having banter and I didn’t really know what was going on.”

“But all the lads have made me feel welcome.” “It’s a great club and great people involved in the club and I’m really happy to be here.”

We also saw with Steven Taylor that if you don;t play regularly it’s really hard to get back to your best, and in retrospect it was probably good that Pardew did now play him at the end of the season.

Hopefully Dan will now come back and be fully fit for pre-season and put in a good season for Newcastle.

He’s in a similar situation as Ben Arfa who was out from early Ocotber with a double fracture of the left leg, and we just have to hope both can return to their previous form.

If they can Newcastle will already have two top players ready to go for next season.

Comments welcome, but please concentrate on the football side of things and try not to get personal with other readers – that spoils the whole thing.

• Snubs

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

there you go jimmymagpie, there’s your update on gosling. :):):)

• WWJBD (Becks4RB)

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Exciting news

• G

May 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

That’s good advice right there, I got involved in a protracted argument the other night that I regret, but I cant change that now. Roll on the football.

• Magpietillidie22

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Fur10ng PMF
    Everything is in place behind scenes. Terms are agreed with both club and advisors. Pardue hoping to steam in early. Tiote also involved
    42 minutes ago

If true, say hello to gervinho

• roshan MAGPIE

May 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM

well he said tat he is fine and made his debut bt then he got injured hope this time around he will be ready to play

• G

May 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Cant wait to see Gosling play in a toon top. Fantastic little player, with a good engine, good skills, and great little football brain. Very much like a young Scott Parker.

• Snubs

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM

personally i really don’t know why people are taking gutierrez out of their dream team… they either don’t know how good he is, or just stupid! Gutierrez is our best player, along with Barton! Them two are the difference between a win and a loss.

• geoff777

May 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Gosling will be a star.

I think he’s going to claim a place in the starting line-up.

• Solaidback

May 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Be good to see Gosling playing, lets hope he’s able to crack our midfield & gets some games, as we’re gonna have some serious competition if all the rumours are true… lol

• True fan

May 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

ED OR ANYBODY ELSE PLEASE HELP!!!!! i want to read the 600 comment on the other thread but it will only show me like the last 10 comments, how do i fix this?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Magpietillidie22

May 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Everybody is talking about nolan and barton signing up etc but in reality after next season I cant find a place for them in the team. Im struggling for next year as it is.

Perhaps the only worry is the impact of the field that they have on the squad. If they go maybe there is a worry the spirit goes with them?

• Stuart

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Click on older comments True Fan.

• G

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

True fan, click the link at the bottom that says ‘older comments’ (should just be above the posting window next to the words ‘LEAVE A COMMENT’. If it isn’t there make sure you don’t have some kind of script blocking software on your web browser. Hope that helps.

• geoff777

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

True Fan you are a true fan if you wade through that lot … 🙂

• toonbelmonter

May 25, 2011 at 11:01 AM

go to the bottom of the page above the post a comment box an click older comments true fan

• JAMSHA

May 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Fur10ng @magpiemurray gervinho 75% unless a really big head turning club shows hand , gamiero 50/50 , nzogbia 90%

• True fan

May 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

thanks everyone 😀

• geoff777

May 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Magpietillidie22

You might be right I can only see 1 of Jonas/Barton/Nolan starting next season.

Personally I’d start with Barton as CM.

Jonas has been good but has no goals in him.

Nolan is a clever, physical ankle rapping midfielder but he can’t open defences.

• G

May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

@ True fan, I think it only shows older comments in groups of 50 or so, so if you want to read the lot then you will have to trawl back a bit mate.

• The Entertainers

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Gosling may be one of the reason the board are reluctant to give Barton. And Nolan longer term deals.
    We all agree, injury free he’s a new signing along with Ben Arfa.

• Alinufc

May 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM

• Magpietillidie22

May 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I think that youre right The Entertainers, Gosling (fully fit and injury free for an entire season) would cement a place next to tiote in the centre. I reckon that would be pretty formidable.

It seems to me we are a rranging a team to play

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    DM
    CM CM
    LW ST RW

So all our creativity would be coming from our wingers and one playmaker in the middle. So with Ben Arfa and maybe gervinho on the flanks we would be VERY attack minded. Honestly if we get gervinho and some of the others being touted I will be very excited

• WWJBD (Becks4RB)

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM

If Barton was to leave I would be upset but if Nolan was to leave I would be tearful.

Both good players but Nolan is a intelligent leader so would be a bigger loss imo. Gosling could well be a revelation IF he comes back from this injury with no issues same with Ben Arfa time will tell

• nightfa11

May 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

i havent seen much of gosling.. the guy has 22 EPL games behind him, hes been injured for a year & u talk about him ,like hes world class.. honestly r u sure about him? then again..how can u be?

• obamagic

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM

#nufc Tim Krul has been quoted today in De Telegraaf saying “The manager told me I would be his first-choice custodian next season

Don’t think he’s ready for it yet…

• Davies

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

With you on that Nightfa11 – I haven’t seen a great deal of Gosling. Be nice if he’s a little belter, but only time will tell on that.

• ToonDownSouth

May 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM

obamagic

It would make no sense for Pards to tell him that. But foreign papers are infamous for misquoting people!

• G

May 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM

‘give him chances to prove his worth..but stop talking about him like he won CL 3 times in a row. its stupid.:P’

Don’t remember anybody suggesting he has, but I’ve seen him play quite a few games now (albeit in blue), and he looks the real deal to me.

• toonincheek

May 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM

nightfall,
    Absolutely – Gosling has little P L experience and wasn’t an automatic choice for Everton.

Definitely a great prospect but let him get over his injury, mentally and physically, first, then get fully match fit before rating him.

A young player with a serious injury – out for over a year – give him a dozen games to show his worth.

If we only give him a few games before we start calling him rubbish because he hasn’t found his old form, we’ll just destroy his confidence.

• ArtyH

May 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

It all looks good at this moment in time. Reading between the lines it suggests to me that we are building a team of above average players with a view to a rotation method of selection. I have never been a huge fan of this type of team but we have never really had this sort of situation before, usually we had an average side with a couple of super star has beens which produced average to poor results, and we wondered why? May be its a chance to have just above average players who could smoothly be changed in and out of the team on a regular basis…..it would give time for niggeling injuries to heal and for a fully fit and integrated team to bond together and no one left out in the cold like HBA and Dan…..
    No on second thoughts thats to much like common sense and would never work at the toon……….or could it???

• davis_toons

May 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

toonincheek // May 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM –
    You are right on this.

Players back from serious injury will need time to get back to their level. Time is needed.

We only can hope they can get back to their old best and product results for Newcastle Utd.

Alan Smith maybe the example that self confidence is in him but it just cant bring it to the field anymore afraid of further big injury.

HBA and Dan both are still young. You can get back to you old form.