Doubts About Ben Arfa Comeback Completely Unfounded

It was bound to happen –  that there would be rumors spreading that Newcastle’s Ben Arfa may never return from his double leg fracture.

Ben Arfa – will comeback on July 4th

So it’s good news that manager Alan Pardew has come out today, and blasted those rumors in the Sunday Sun.

This is what Alan said:

“I would dismiss that straight away. I don’t see any problem with him coming back just as good as he was.”

“You’re talking about a really bad break. And I think we were buoyed by his last visit because he was a lot, lot better within himself.”

“I think anyone who has suffered an injury like that, you’ve got to give him time, you’ve got to understand what is happening.” “You don’t rush it and we won’t with Ben Arfa.”

I have some idea what Ben Arfa is going through, since back in April of 1969 I broke my left leg in two places – clean through  and both bones – playing at Hillsborough for the English Universities against the England Amateur side – and I didn’t return to playing until December – about eight months.

When it happened, I was completely stunned and will never forget seeing my lower left leg swinging freely as I fell, and when I was on the ground, the left leg was not straight but went off at a peculiar angle.

I knew there was something wrong, but was already in complete shock.

Anyway, those serious breaks take some getting over, and it’s really not surprising that Ben Arfa has taken so long to come back, after such a serious injury.

Alan continued:

“I know we made noises that he might play in those last three games but realistically, I never gave him a chance.”

“I was trying to keep the boy’s head up to be honest. I don’t want him to see negative press so I said he might play in those three games.

“But I thought I was doing the right thing for Hatem, so that he genuinely felt he had a chance because he was quite low about his training, his workrate and everything.

“Once he knew he wasn’t going to make the games he probably accepted that and now he is aiming to be ready for July 4.”

There’s no doubt that Newcastle  took two huge risks on players over the last year, when they signed both Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling when they both were recovering from very serious injuries.

We just have to hope that both lads are back to their best when pre-season rolls around, and if that’s the case Newcastle have made two very good buys.

Not too long to wait now either, since training starts up again on July 4th, which  is just over five weeks away.

• hainesy

May 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

1st?

• CheickTiote

May 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

L’Equipe are reporting that we’re meeting Gervinho next week.

• toonruz

May 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM

he come back with a point to proove

• cyprus

May 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Must admit I am concerned that he may not be the type of player we saw in those couple of games, up there with the Ginolas of old. Look at Owen, brightest star of his time (some said worth 50 mil at the time) and now resigned to a has been at 29. But there are others (e.g. Cisse) who came back from major injuries just as strong

• roshan MAGPIE

May 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

looking at ben arfa s attitude he will come strong and even better than wt he was has a player and also has a person these injuries will teach him some lesson that will make him mature and wise

• tobes

May 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Is anyone else of the opinion that Pardew/Ashley’s vision is a bit of a make or break over the next few years? I’m not being pessimistic, but it seems like the spine from this year (enrique/barton/nolan) may be sold. Will be a fascinating transfer window. Not sure it will yeld the results we want but I’m optimisitic. We are being linked with some good players.

• toonfan76

May 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

As long as Benny can get through the mental part of his recovery, the physical part will be fine. Can’t wait to see him back in our Legendry black and white shirt.

• TheScottishGeordie

May 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

———————-Krul
    Simpson–S.Taylor——–Coloccini–Enrique
    ———————Tiote
    Gervinho———-Cabaye———–Jonas
    ———-Ben Arfa——–Sturridge

• roe997

May 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

eduardo is doing ok at skaktar, but it promts the question why did wenger sel up? Did he lose ability?these are horrific injurys and must be handled properly.clairefontain is the best place for beny boy.i would also like to knw if it would be possible for him to try growth recuperating medicines,they use these in america and uk for major surgery and burns victims,its very very expensive but would be worth it if it was in laws of football,i do beleive messi used similar treatments to increase his height,and i remember barca paying like 100k on treatments.and that was me mate talking shite on ere last nite,we had a few too many lol.

• davybtoon

May 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

good news if true since we met him this week aswell
    n cwarr07 says if gamerio dosent come erding from psg is next target

• toonfan76

May 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Look guys, I don’t want to be a negger or anything but I keep seeing Sturridge mentioned. Have Newcastle even said that they are interested in him? They would be crazy not to be, but thought I’d ask the question anyway.

• davybtoon

May 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

look at valencia at man u his was worse than bennys

• colwell

May 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Ben Arfa didn`t break his ankle unlike Eduardo. Benny had a clean break, Smith broke his ankle it has the effect of reducing movement therefore pace is affected.

Its only the mental side he`ll have to overcome he`ll be stronger than before.

• Andy

May 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I’m not writing cwarr07 off as an inside knowledge. He said that Larsson was all signed up up here and today it says we’re not interested.

• samag

May 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

less sturridge talk please. can see him staying at chelsea and pressuring torres for that start, who else has the ambition there, not kalou, not drog, not anelka. if neymar goes there then we can have a bite at sturridge

• roe997

May 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

cwarr07 has neva said that larsson was signed up.chinese wispers he said that he was target

• Markaccus

May 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Seems that NUFC have done a u turn on Larsson, which seems to have caught even the most informed by surprise. we are supposedly “aiming higher” than larsson now. Thats why the Mackems will probably get him 😀

• stephen1971

May 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

lets hope he comes back as strong as henrik larsson did

• JAMSHA

May 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Lets c watz da news about gervinho 2moro, cnt wait

• NorseToonBrann

May 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

anyone got some tips on who to follow on twitter?

• Andy

May 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM

cwarr07 Colin
    Seb Larssons performance today will be interesting given that he’s already agreed to join #nufc in the summer
    7 May Favorite Reply
    That was before the Brum game from him.

• KevinHann

May 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Err isn’t the title of this article wishful thinking? I mean who knows for sure if Ben Arfa will return without complications, at the same top level??

I want him to return at his best, as well, but I can’t say it will definitely happen. I’m sorry, but the real title should be “Pardew denies suspicions Ben Arfa’s injury will affect his game”.

The doubts are NOT completely unfounded. They are perfectly understandable. Us hoping for the opposite doesn’t change it.

Sorry for the criticism, but I’d like to read some solid news here, without having to filter which is simply a rumor, which is the editor’s fantasised interpretation and which actually has some grounding. It’s not impossible, just requires some effort 🙁

• geordiefinn

May 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

@NorseToonBrann

This guy is Sunday Sun’s chief reporter, and often has some great speculations and rumours!

• roe997

May 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

ya he did say we agreed,it was common knoldge bk then,if u misunderstood,news this mrning that WE PULLED PLUG on deal.how can u slate a coment that was RELEVENT AT THE TIME. Bentley deal was agreed and a similar shift happened.

• rozehnal

May 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I broke my leg a year and half ago in four places and now I’m running again and kicking a ball but still doesn’t feel right I think it’s both physical and mentally, trust me it’s not a nice injury u will never b the same again even my surgeon sed won’t b the same again u have to be careful and trust me if u guys say ben arfa constantly diving out of challenges then u will know y

• MonsterMagnet

May 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Anyone interested in Berbatov? Seems like he’s on the way out of Man Yoo.

• ilovetoon8788

May 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I dont mind players like Larsson on a free, Reo-cooker on frees. We need some quality on the bench. At the moment we have nothing. We need some form of depth. Ashley is most likely is going to cash in on Barton instead of losing him on a free. He’s 28, and we know Ashley’s plan is to have a youthful team. Most likely Barton out and a young midfielder hopefully Cabaye in.

• Andy

May 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

rozehnal I also had a similar injury and i’d say that the mental side is the worst thing to get over. Lucky for me i got clattered in my first game back and there was no looking back after that. Look at Alan Smith, rubbish as he may be he still loves a tackle. HBA wasn’t known for his tackling before and certainly won’t be next year either. So it may not affect him as much as we think

• ilovetoon8788

May 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Will Arfa be the same player ever again? We don’t know for sure. I remember Shearer’s leg break which made him lose half his pace.. We will never know if Arfa will be as quality as he used to be… Its just hoping for now.

• Toon666

May 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

@ roe997 – well then he doesn’t have ENOUGH inside knowledge about which deals will go through and which won’t – which brings us back to being an unreliable source.

Not in terms of he “makes stuff up” like most of the press – but just as in he musn’t be far enough on the inside to be up to speed…….

But then again, I know absolutely nothing…….hehe

• NorseToonBrann

May 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

geordiefinn thnx:)

• roe997

May 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM

suppose u have a point, av seen hm nail tiote ben arfa ireland and pardew al on head before press got it,thats why jorno’s tweet and follow him.nw he said nzog deal done,so al judge hm off that.

• Markaccus

May 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Don’t see how it’s unreliable if that is the news AT THE TIME. If something changes last min, which it seems to have, than the same person reports that change, how is that unreliable?? itas called keeping people informed. To much pessimism.

• GeordieGerman

May 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM

This is going to be a long summer. I’ve just realised that we played our last game a week ago today. It feels like a month. 🙁

• samag

May 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

arfa may well have to adapt his game, the best players know how to do that, so maybe he wont be beating defenders again, but striking and passing will improve

• rozehnal

May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

@Andy
    Yeah before that I was like I’ve never broke a bone and then go in do that,
    Did u have metal in yours

• Andy

May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

But he’s also been wrong numerous times. He said Ziani was signed up as well in the jan window. Not pessimism markaccus I’m just pretty sceptical about him now

• Cockney Magpie

May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

remember benny is stil young so that wil help …. aaron ramsey seems fine and tht was one of the worst iv ever seen

• Andy

May 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

rozehnal na they didn’t put any in but then regretted it about 3-4 months later as the bone wasn’t healing at all! Was stuck in full length plaster all that time, absolute nightmare it was!