As far as we can tell, Newcastle have already put in as many as 5 actual bids for different players this month alone.
Johan Cabaye – deal agreed for this French International
Newcastle have agreed one deal, verified today by the Sunday Sun, and that’s Johan Cabaye from Lille, although that has not been made official yet, and the deal is not yet signed.
Cabaye will be in action tonight for Lille, the French Champions, as well as Ivory Coast winger Gervinho, so it may be worth Newcastle fans watching that game against Rennes, if possible.
Here are the bids that have been made:
- Yesterday there were reports in France said Newcastle had agreed a deal with Lille and Johan Cabaye.
It seems to have been an excellent deal by Newcastle who have taken advantage of a buyout clause of €5M, which is about £4.3M for the 25 year-old box to box French International midfielder.
This lad must be a good player since Arsenal were the other club after him.
- Reports in France yesterday said that Newcastle had made a second offer of £6M for French U21 International left-back Cheikh M’Bengue of Toulouse, Newcastle made their first bid of £5M in mid April for the player, and we assume that this will only go through only if Jose Enrique decides to leave Newcastle.
- And potential good news in the Sunday Sun today, that Newcastle are now confident of making it a double raid on Lille, by also getting a deal completed for Ivory Coast winger Gervinho – one of Newcastle’s top targets.
The local Sunday paper says that Gervinho has a choice between two clubs – with Newcastle one of those sides.
- A couple of days ago there were reports that Newcastle had made a second bid for Lorient French International striker Kevin Gameiro. Newcastle made an initial £8M bid a couple of weeks back, but are said to have gone back in with an improved bid of £10M. That’s for a player whose first choice club seems to be Valencia in Spain.
- News yesterday that Newcastle had made an initial bid of £5M for former Newcastle winger Charles N’Zogbia. Wigan have turned down that offer, which is less than Newcastle sold him to Wigan for about 30 months ago.
We assume Newcastle will go back with an improved offer for the French International, who was at Newcastle for four and a half years.
In addition to the above, Newcastle have recently been linked with midfielder Achille Emana of Real Betis in Spain, Danny Graham of Watford, the 25 year old Geordie striker who was born in Gateshead, and is keen to join his home town club, and Swiss International winger Tranquillo Barnetta of German club Bayer Leverkusen.
So Newcastle, to their credit, have been extremely active so far in the transfer market, with one success so far.
We’ll keep our fingers crossed on the others.
And potentially more good news in that I have received several emails today that Joey Barton has come out on
his official twitter page – Joey7Barton – and said he’s not joining Everton and doesn’t want to leave Newcastle.
That’s good news indeed.