The news that Lille’s Johan Cabaye has decided to join Newcastle United, got the Magpies off to a very good start in this summer’s vital transfer window.
Gervinho – another Newcastle target
Now Newcastle will hope to capture Cabaye’s team-mate Gervinho soon, and yesterday the local Sunday Sun newspaper said that Newcastle officials were confident of getting Gervinho, although one other club is also involved in trying to sign the Ivory Coast International, who is 24 today.
Apparently the situation is that Gervinho will make his choice following the Ivory Coast game African Nations qualifier against Benin next Saturday.
Newcastle fans have welcomed the signing of Cabaye, but they will be delighted if Gervinho is signed, since he’s just the type of exciting, fast and skillful forward they just love on Tyneside.
Gervinho has both scored goals and made goals for the French Champions Lille this season.
Lille coach Rudi Garcia however said after yesterday’s 3-2 win against Rennes that nobody other then Cabaye would be leaving the club:
“They are all under contract,” “The only one who can leave is Yohan Cabaye. All others are under contract and, if desired, will be in the squad next season.”
But that doesn’t seem to hold too much water, since Gervinho’s contract runs out next summer, and the French Champions are hardly going to turn down a £10M offer for the player, which is what is estimated he’ll bring in the transfer market.
Newcastle have also reported to have made bids for Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro, Toulouse left-back Cheickh M’Benque and former Newcastle winger Charles N’Zogbia over the last few days.
So Newcastle certainly seem to have done their homework this year and there seems to have been a lot of work gone into transfer bids already, and it’s still so early in this summer transfer window.
That adds up to so far so good for Newcastle fans who are hoping to see around five top players arriving this summer, with the money the club received for the Andy Carroll transfer in January.