The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Dimitar Berbatov Says He’s Going Nowhere

9:29 am, Thursday, June 2nd, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 73 Comments

Well it would have been great if it had happened, but it looks like Dimitar Berbatov will not be arriving at Newcastle – at least not this summer.

Dimitar Berbatov - I’m going nowhere

The Bulgarian super-star told a Bulgarian web-site yesterday that he had no plans to leave the Premier League Champions and Old Trafford.

Dimitar was left out of the squad for the European Champions League final last Saturday, in spite of the 20 PL goals he scored that won him the Golden Boot this year with Carlos Tevez.

And to make things even worse, he was left out of the squad and replaced by Michael Owen, a player who has had a career warming the bench in the two years since he left Newcastle.

And it looks like Michael will be doing the same thing next season,  as he has signed a one year extension.

Has anybody whispered in his ear that football players should really play football?

He’ll be a long time in retirement and now’s the time to play football, before it’s too late.

Dimitar has even apologized to his Bulgarian fans,  for not making the bench and this is what he said yesterday:

“I want to apologize to everyone for not taking part in the final. I hoped to make the whole of Bulgaria happy with my play. This did not happen and I can only say I am sorry for myself and for the Bulgarians, who expected to see me.”

“But there will be new finals and we will be fighting for new titles. I am moving ahead. When you go through difficult times, you should not quit.”

It seems that Dimitar is a mature footballer, as he stayed in the dressing room to watch the game on Saturday.

He probably would have shown his disappointment if TV cameras had been able to focus in on him during the game – which they would have done of course.

The 30 year-old goal scoring machine continued:

“The truth is that I stayed at the dressing room and watched the Champions League final there, on a TV screen. I was really disappointed. I was ashamed that I was not part of the team and did not want people to see how sad I feel.”

Dimitar has one year left on his contract,  so there will be many top clubs next summer trying to sign up the free agent.

Whether one of them will be Newcastle United. we have no idea.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

73 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

lads ana sum1 gunna cum n have a go at az for this, but am not sayin were lookin at these players or anything but heres a list of players we shud be looking at wen gameiro turns us down
    Moussa Sow
    brian ruiz
    mevlut erding
    loic remy
    jimmy briand
    daniel sturridge
    Guillaume Hoarau
    Género Zeefuik
    shane long
    gary hooper
    there al from leagues and teams carr has watched so very getable

• 2 Nufc_mo // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Did Berbatov say this after he put on a Newcastle Jersey?

• 3 Nufc_mo // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM

How did i miss the first part of the quotes?!?! lol…

““I will stay. I will fight for the 20th title. If I were an easy quitter, I would never have made it this far. Everything at Manchester United starts from scratch for me on July 4.””

Completely skipped that part…

• 4 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Speak for youself Ed. I do definitely not think signing Berbatov would be “great”

1) hes 30 so will only have a few more years at the top.
    2) hes so lazy
    3) he would disrupt the team morale
    4) there are better, younger players we can get eg. Gameiro, Sturridge, etc
    5) his wages would be too high (hes probably on around 80k + a week

• 5 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM

NottsGeordie..

But dude…the man has goals in him who CARES if he is 30 Olic is 30 and he is cruising…. Ok Lazy so was van Nistelrooy but he has goals in him this was a pity…..

• 6 roshan MAGPIE // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

• 7 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM

gorgonzola

He would greatly disrupt team morale, his wages are sky high and wouldnt you rather have Gameiro or Sturridge?

• 8 roshan MAGPIE // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM

i would have liked him to be our no 9 for few years untill we re establish our status in premier league K

• 9 davybtoon // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM

gervinho said next 48hours n that was 2 days ago so it will b today at some point

• 10 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM

NottsGeordie

Hmmm You do have a point…..

Lads more stuff on Demba Ba:

I am not to familiar with this fellow any good?

• 11 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM

davybtoon

And cwarr07 has been saying it is a big day for Newcastle

• 12 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM

i cant believe anybody gave any credence to a story that was only in the sun newspaper i said all along it was pure tripe remember ur headline ed BREAKING NEWS. yeah i hate to say i told u so.

• 13 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM

a dnt think we shud entertain the idea of berbatov he may have 20 goals but he got
    3 hatricks =9
    2 goals in a game 2ce=4
    5 in 1 game so realy he only scored in 8 games, we need sum1 who scores more frequent than that, if that makes sence, he also had sum of the best players in the world givin easy goals, also heard he smokes and goes thru a bottle of vodka a week

• 14 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I must selling Carrol was hugelly stupid… thats the magic of Ashley…. did anyboyd talk him into it it was out of the blue… I liked him tall and not easy to catch strong….JUST what needed… We are missing that DUO striker partnership we where so famous for…

Ferdinand
    Shearer
    Asprilla
    ( i know most of you hate him but while he was out of injury he was pretty lethal) Owen

I must say I am pretty sad that turned out the way it did… man had huge support at our club I even still have his named shirt.. :(

• 15 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM

@ gorgonzola that link is to a three day old story it hasnt moved on at all since

• 16 GeordieToon89 // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM

He didnt say next 48hrs he said “during this week” Ba is a great signing on a free mind if we can work some magic on his contract

• 17 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM

gorgonzola

Hes a good player, powerful, strong in the air, quite fast and a good shot. The problem is he has a really bad knee that is an injury scare. Stoke were going to sign him put he failed a medical and they said his knee could break down at any time.

• 18 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

davybtoon m8 he sed this week lol cud be any day

• 19 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Nottsgerodie??
    No he hasnt….he said big day today……
    no mention of Newcastle, he is just revelling in you lot hanging on his every word!!!

• 20 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Notts we talking bout Carrol ? Hmmm I dunno maybe it wont break things happen in football…Look at my country man Olic dude is a fucking OX yet bang broke out whole season…

Perhaps the timing couldn’t have been worse halfway season and boy we felt it..

• 21 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM

ud wana get a new shirt u thight f***er gorgonzola

• 22 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Could mean anything, could mean big day because he hasnt had a pony and trap for three or four days and he took a laxative this morning…..the qwuicker the better the amount of sh1te he is spouting, must be brimfull…..

• 23 toon_tomma // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Look what just come out of sky sports news this could be a big day!

Could soon be a double raid on Lille for Newcastle United, according to reports in France. Lille confirmed at the start of the week that midfielder Yohan Cabaye is set to join the Magpies, while L’Equipe claims attacker Gervinho is also primed to move to St James’ Park.

• 24 Mings // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM

This is a really good blog, i`m a huge Newcastle fan from Norway, and i read this blog all the time. I just read in lequipe and it was something about Gervino in it.

• 25 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Boom Boom sorry I was not aware of that :D

• 26 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7BsSTO5218&feature=related nufc_mo this is a video of ruiz any1 hus interested

• 27 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Angry

Hes talking about Newcastle and i dont hang to his every word. I was just saying cwarr07 thinks Gervinho is joining, i actually dont think he is joining because everything he has said like “wanna play champions league” to “would love to play for arsenal” so why would he wanna join newcastle a club that was in the championship last year. I am however very hopeful and desperatley want to be proved wrong.

• 28 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM

“ud wana get a new shirt u thight f***er gorgonzola” Hey dude I dont have thousands of pounds to spend on new kits every season so I will keep my Owen 10 not my fault happened as it did.

However I unlike so many out there think new kit is superb, pity we pissed a 3 goal lead in it… **** we looked awful in the second half.

• 29 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM

It wants to be a big day for newcastle today! I’m going crazy already with the speculation and we’ve still got over a month of it to go!

Just abit of news now to settle the nerves would be great!

• 30 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM

toon_tomma on the website or telli

• 31 aaronjd // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Anyone else think ROSHAN magpie is under 12 years old.

• 32 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Nottsgeordie, where does he say its about Newcastle?

Just interested? Coz I just looked and he hasnt said anything to numerous questions from twatteres re Newcastle having a ‘Big Day’?

• 33 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Haha what makes you think that aaron

• 34 toon_tomma // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

website marra on that transfer clock ……

• 35 NottsGeordie // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM

What do you think its about then? Course its about Newcastle thats the only bloody thing he talks about!!

• 36 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM

@ angryman ha ha classic but cwarr better go easy on the laxitives the shite is comin out of his ears as it stands whe he said it was a big day i thought it was his 12th birthday give it 2mins and we will have 09nufc09 on defending him.

• 37 Kurt // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM

The new 3 kit is out and its black.

• 38 AussieToon // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Looks like a training T-Shirt

• 39 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM

It looks superb…. Blog above this rumors of a second being orange….

• 40 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

i wonder if cwarr still climbs into the sack with his ma and da during the night thats probably where he hears all the secret COMINGS and goings.

• 41 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

look man stop havin a go angryman, u n i very rarely agree but i do repect wat you say but the truth is you dnt have to believe anything you dnt want to but you shudnt be havin a go at people for believen thats all am sayin, n truth is wether you like it or not it will be discussed on here, just try nt to get worked up over it m8, it myt or myt not happen, ok but we dnt know yet, but any news people have will be put up on here also lads @skysportswebed: Some tasty morsels from the tabloids today and The Sunsays Shane Longis at the centre of a tug of war between Everton and Newcastle

• 42 connor_nufc // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Im worried about the material of that new kit

• 43 toon_tomma // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

oonbelmonter(mr.T…iote) – look what just been put up @skysportswebed:
    Newcastle target Kevin Gameiro has told the Magpies he will respond to their transfer offer in the next couple of weeks according to reports in the North-East media

• 44 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

ehheheh look like a T shirt material doesn’t it… Maybe its the third on just a casual material not yet made…

• 45 aaronjd // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Just some of the things he says and the way he talks on here. ‘ I think dat we shud buy a striker bcos we need a striker’ etc etc

• 46 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM

@ TOONBELMOUTHER dont tell me ur cwarr aswell how many alias do you have

• 47 jim // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Have u seen michael ‘gambling’ owen’s latest dig at Newcastle?

sam on the other nufc blog sums it up well here i reckon:

Biggest problem with MO is, he himself takes absolutely no responsibility for it being a poor team, despite being captain of it and one the most experienced, key, players. Contrast that with the team spirit we have now with an decent footballer/bloke as Captain.

MO is a great example of a career path to avoid as a footballer, he’s all about himself and his performance, not the TEAM, and he’s quite happy to sit and take the pay check for doing as little as possible – even by his own admission. The guy is an insult to football

Well said sam! The bloke’s a shadow of his former self-and a spineless, shameless, greedy gambling crock!

• 48 Kurt // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

to me its look to have the same material as the home kit. I bought that and it feels great to have it on

• 49 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

boom boom mate, shut up, you sound like an idiot.

I don’t believe any of the twatters myself but I don’t have a go at people for doing so.

For all both of us know they will be bang o about every deal, or they could all be a bunch of bullshit.

This is a blog for newcastle news, rumours and speculation. Cheer the f*ck up and take part instead of having a go.

• 50 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

@jim yeah he was part of the reason it was a poor team and if he prefered playing less in a high quality team why did he leave madrid to join a “poor” team poor michael i say.

• 51 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Boom boom, you sound like an idiot mate.

For all any of us know they could all be bang on about the deals or they could all be making it all up, we’ll never know til the deals finalise.

This blog is for newcastle news, rumours and speculation, either cheer up and take part or shut up eh?

• 52 Kurt // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

They also put at nufctv clip out now, with Amoebi, Saylor, Ben Arfa, McLovin and a fifth player. Don’t know who that is. Anybody know ?

• 53 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

boom boom onest just go away if your lookin to start on ppl ffs read wat a sed, i askd him not to have ago at people hu believe f**k man, get a life a dnt even have twitter, learn to read then look at wat a sed p***k

• 54 gorgonzola // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I must Say I am so excited for our next season our star man ben arfa will be back..I hope he does well…. I prey he does well :) and we get some tasty signings…. and we up our home form wich let us down must say :)

• 55 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

@ stuart if they knew they wouldnt be on here talkin bout it ok and i rekon 2-3 per cent of his guesses come through and its also a site for voicing ur opinions and im entitled to mine cwarr is a bleedin lonely little attention seeking twat.

• 56 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Hell, you can slag off cwarr as much as you want mate, I dont care about him. What I’m saying is don’t jump down the people on heres throats when they mention a rumour from him.

• 57 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

boom boom i your entitled to your opinion but your having a go at people for having there opinion, since this is a site for peoples opinion and you had a go at me, my opinion of you is that your a little WUM SMB divvy

• 58 Eyeball81 // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

on another note….love the headline to this…

I love joey barton think he’s a good player at the club, BUT think they’re missing the point. Yes Joey is a good player one of the best at the club but what is wrong with us bringing in other good players…..from a business point of view it makes sense, from a professional point of view it makes sense when a player is either out or injured we have a ready made replacement with the quality to get the job done!!! hate journos!!

• 59 the1willy // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I lvoe all of this speculation as much as the next fan. But I’m starting to notice a trend here… we are linked with thousands of players and then suddenly announce the signing of someone we had never seen mentioned: Nolan, Tiote, Cabaye (OK so we haven’t announced his signing, but he more or less has).

• 60 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM

this site should be called shite compiled by cwarr cause its all that gets mentioned on it every time news is slow all the cwarr twatterers go into overdrive its just so annoying

• 61 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Crazy idea I know boom boom, but have you tried not reading those comments if they p1ss you off so much?

• 62 boom boom cheick cheick the room // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM

finding comments where he is not mentioned is like finding a needle in a haystack

• 63 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Nottsgeordie,
    Cwarr talks about himself and NUFC rumours constantly man…..’off for a peroni’….so can we safely say him and NUFC are opff for a peroni??

Mark Hugehs Next AV manager….and relevance to NUFC??

The bloke is a Tw@t….erer wake up and smell the coffee man!!
    He loves all the attention…..

• 64 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM

boom boom theres always a sunderland blog

• 65 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Stuart,
    Why should he stop reading them?
    He comes on here like teh Majority of us to talk about NUFC not some Tw@…erer named warris??

• 66 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Oh FFS
    Toonbelmonter,
    He’s a mackem coz he doesnt believe Warris???

Christ in a rocking chair…….
    You people on here are losing site of what this blog is a bout……..and its not Colin Twatterer Warris, who is still even to predict anything correct this transfer window….FACT!!

PS Before you start, Cabaye is YET to put pen to paper!!!!!

• 67 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Angry, I never said he should stop reading them. I said if they annoy him so much he might want to stop reading them.

Hell, I don’t care either way, his problem not mine.

This is a newcastle blog during the transfer window, its going to be nothing but rumours and bullsh1t from twatters for the next month or so.

• 68 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Anyway, I digress…

Where is the sensibles & realists to talk about hopes for next season??…

Frig warris!!

• 69 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Haha, how can you talk about hopes for next season without talking about transfers angry?

For example I hope we spend at least £30m and finish between 5th and 8th. Not the most likely thing to happen buts its what I’m hoping for lol.

What are your hopes?

• 70 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Stuart,
    Speculation is good, and enjoyable and on the odd occasion realistic, but warris warris warris say this that and the other…..and like i say, any of it yet to come off……..lets all talk WARRIS when his ‘prophecies’ come off eg, god he actually was right, we should listen to him a bit more often….but as someone on here said the other night….his predictions have been 50/50 if not worse…………even YOU could come get somewhere near those odds trolling the tinternet for rumours!!

• 71 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Yup, on a parr with you there Stuart, I hope we spend 30+m tbh, as I can only see us going upwards with that much investment. anything less and I fear we will be static or drop back on this seasons good achievements!!

And as I AM a REALIST, i would have plumped for 4th bottom and called this season a success!!!

• 72 Stuart // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Dont get me wrong angryman, I put no stock in any of the twatters myself, especially not warris as according to him we had around 5 players through the door in jan and they never happened.

But when everybody is speculating the rumour has to come from somewhere initially, it just so happens that in this modern age the majority of them come from social networking sites.

• 73 toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote) // Jun 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM

angry again you read wat i say then purposely twist wat i sed, i sed hes a SMB coz he had a go at me for sayin i blieved cwarr WHICH I DIDNT SAY and coz al hes dun all the tym hes been on, n secondly u reli think i blieve cwarr a cudnt care less wat he says coz i personaly dnt believe him, but i dnt totally disregard and insult people hu blieve him, n on my hopes for next season, i see us spending 15 25 mil, n hopefully the carr signings are as good if nt better than tiote, if they r i would hop for 7th to 10th to be top of the table and have a decent cup run, but tbh id be happy with 15th upwards due to second season syndrome

previous post: Pardew Drive For Success Matches That Of Newcastle Players