Michael Owen – Wasting His Talents For Another Year

We had been sure that Michael Owen would be released by Manchester United this summer – but we were wrong again.

Michael Owen – wasting his talent on the bench

Michael has recently said that winning the Premier League was his greatest achievement in football, but he will get a Premier League medal with the minimum number of appearances required to get one – 10.

That’s why Ferguson kept bringing him on in the last few minutes in the last few league games of the season, and he made just one Premier League start, and only four starts in all competitions.

And he has even said he’s disappointed that England manager Fabio Capello has ignored him for the England side – what planet is Michael living on these days?

Michael is a player who has signed on for another year at the Red Devils, and seems willing not to play much first team football these days – make that the last two years – and that’s a a complete waste of his talents.

Where’s his football ambition gone?

He’s just not good enough these days to get into the Red Devils first team –  even when he isn’t injured.

In his last 6 seasons, since he was just 25 and joined the Magpies,  he has appeared for Newcastle and Manchester United a total of just 126 times, with 44 goals – and let’s remember most of the 44 appearances in the last two years, have been as a second half sub – sometimes very late in the game.

That’s just a waste of his talents – but Michael seems very willing to continue on the bench as he said yesterday via that Twitter account of his:

“Just to answer some of your tweets. Prefer playing less often in a top team than every game in a poor team. Been there and didn’t enjoy it.”

“Training every day at a high standard keeps you performing at a high level. I’m sure I have a lot to offer and so does the boss. Buzzing!”

That first paragraph is a veiled shot at Newcastle United, but he hardly ever played for us, and when push came to shove in the relegation season, he couldn’t even make the first team.

He was more concerned about playing for England than playing for Newcastle, he made that very clear.

Newcastle were a poor team two years ago, even though the wage bill was the 6th highest in the Premier League, and Michael Owen was part of it – when he was fit.

We thought he should have joined a mid-table side for next season, but that’s obviously not what he wants to do – and in that sense he seems almost like a football snob.

He would prefer to be with a top top team like the Red Devils and sit on the bench,  rather than starting every game  for a mid-table side like Wolves, Stoke City or Blackburn.

But to be fair to him, that’s his choice, but to us it seems just a complete waste of his talents, because when he does play he can still score those goals.

Sadly, he’s almost out of his depth at a club like Manchester United, and if he doesn’t get a contract extension next season, we suppose he’ll just retire at 32, rather than have to play for a mid table team, which seems to be beneath him.

• joseismyhero

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

can honestly say my hate for him is unmatched by any other human being

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Whats peoples views on the 3rd kit by the way just had my email from the club, looks pretty smart the all black! will only get twice obviously.

Should have been the second kit.

• kentonmags

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM

selbymag

have you got a link si can see it

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hey where is the second AND third kit honestly third kit that good and not the second kit ….terrible 🙁

• sambabali

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM

go to nufc.co.uk & then go to shop, or click on the video… There are rumours that the second kit is orange

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/TV/InterviewsDetail/0,,10278~2370505,00.html. its on the club site now if this link does not work

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Can you guys please excuse my ignorance a bit..

If I may ask what is the ultra Hate on Owen… I was aware he left NUFC, I hear a lot of bitterness about him is it cause he dumped us in a flash, but what do you expect I mean its like I dunno Berbatov playing in the second division no? I am just asking and am not aware of the inner intricacies about it as I am not from the Uk…

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

No pics of the second “orange kit” hopefully there has been a rethink

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM

i hate owen wt a greedy ass hole i think we must nt sign gameiro cause he dosent want to come to NUFC we must go to our next target tat i guess will be erding

• TOON4LIFE_1

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM

you guys should read his twitter and how much piersmorgan has been ripping into him.

lol example;

many congrats to @themichaelowen on your new united contract. you’ve made a poor lonely bench very happy.

haha classic

• Stuart

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Gorgonzola mate, he was our captain the season we got relegated. Come the end of the season he never even spoke to any of the team or the club, his contract ran out and he disappeared off in his helicopter to manchester.

Never had any heart or commitment for the club, just his pay check.

I could keep going on with reasons but I reckon thats enough lol.

• Stuart

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

The orange kit was never real. It was something someone mocked up on a kit design website. Someone posted the link on here a few weeks ago.

• NottsGeordie

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

The 3rd kit looks like a training kit and why is shola ameobi wearing it. Straight away makes me not like the kit.

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Shiiiiittt……

Man I did not it was that bad… I always held the dude prior to what I hear now in high regard…. He seemed like good fellow…

But man that is LOW….. How on earth could he do that…..?

• toon_tomma

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

@skysportswebed:
    Newcastle target Kevin Gameiro has told the Magpies he will respond to their transfer offer in the next couple of weeks according to reports in the North-East media

• alip123

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I can honestly say that, more than any player on the planet (except for Nigel De Jong), I hope he breaks both his legs, and ends up bankrupt. He ruined Newcastle United. Blame Souness and Shepherd for signing him, but he is shite now. Just playing for the money.

Also, Roshan, I think Gameiro will be better cos we wont be offering the astronomical wages we offered Owen, plus some of our players will keep him in check. I just hope we keep Wor Joey and Kevin Nolan. Enrique, if he wants to leave, fine. He’s done a great job, and we can get M’Bengue.

HWTL!

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Seems like £107,000.00 a week was not enough for owen to be bothered about the club. Only ever spoke about getting fit to play for England when injured not Newcastle

• AussieToon

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Michael Owen will always lack respect of not only a footballer but a human being. Lowest form of dirt you could find on the planet (save from rapists and murderers). Cretin. Hate him.

• hainesy

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM

• connor_nufc

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Lequipe is reporting thst newcastle is the possible destination of gervinho

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Jesus dont get me started on De Jong…

I felt like buying a ticket to the UK just to go there and break his stupid bully face… What a piece of shit Butcher I STILL think there is politics to play here that rat bag disgrace of a human being was told to purposely break his legs as he is a KEY man for the newly promoted NUFC..

I never hope of anything bad to another human being but I hope this bottom of the sceptic tank filth get cancer…

• toonfan09

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

dunno if i like the change kit need to see a better picture of it

• toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote)

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

gorgonzola m8 calllm down lol, u have to remember its the school holidays owa here so theres gunna be a few kiddies on, lol lay of the swearing or put a few ** were you wanna swear lol

• jim

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Aye Ed ya right – here’s michael ‘gambling’ owen’s latest dig at Newcastle?

Sam on the other nufc.org blog sums it up well here i reckon:

“Biggest problem with MO is, he himself takes absolutely no responsibility for it being a poor team, despite being captain of it and one the most experienced, key, players. Contrast that with the team spirit we have now with an decent footballer/bloke as Captain.

MO is a great example of a career path to avoid as a footballer, he’s all about himself and his performance, not the TEAM, and he’s quite happy to sit and take the pay check for doing as little as possible – even by his own admission. The guy is an insult to football.”

Well said sam! The bloke’s a shadow of his former self-and a spineless, shameless, greedy gambling crock!

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I just get too upset…even thinking about it….

People like that should be BANNED for life and locked up…..its is pure disgust…and I hope he dies.

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I just like black kits – I like a bit of menace!

Imagine looking up and seeing Tiote launching into a tackle all dressed in black, opposition players will cak themselves

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Selby

• kentonmags

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

The fa should take action against owen for his comments the prick we made him a millionaire and for what 2 goals against the scum

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I think I might burn my shirt now after all this :-/

• Selbymag

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Isnt Owen worth £40m not bad for a wonder boy turned crock who massively under acheived. Probably picked up most of his injuries carrying his wallet

• Stuart

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Im surprised you didnt know about any of it like gorgonzola, it was all big news at the time. I’d definately get his name off the back at least like lol.

• toonarmy1986

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

He is the one and only footballer I genuinely hate with a passion and would take great delight in his career ending tomorrow or even better going bankrupt and forced to live in a council estate preferably Newcastle so he gets abused everyday.

• tynesidetommo

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Christ almighty. There’s life beyond Michael Owen. Time to get over him and move on.
    Don’t give a toss what he’s doing – just give a toss about the Toon. Let’s start looking ahead rather than club history & greedy wee buggers like him.
    Get over it

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Tyneside..

No worry mate I was just asking earlier about why it was such a shambles as I am was not aware of it…I am not from UK and that period of our club I would rather forget so thats why all the comments….

• gorgonzola

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

How does one remove the name above the number 10 if its baked on the kit :-/ its impossible

• Stuart

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Haha anything mate, just permanent marker over it lol. I just couldnt bring myself to burn the badge like haha.

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

ALIP 123 i know gameiro is good bt he dont want to come to NUFC tat s the problem

• ochytoon

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

What talents?

• kentonmags

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

cwarr07

Still receiving q’s re Cabaye & Gervinho. Both will join #nufc who are becoming increasingly confident about landing Gameiro.

FROM TWITTER

• GeordieToon89

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Use an iron an something sharp with a small edge heat the name up around the edges be careful not to burn kit thou and use the sharp object to peel away at edge of letters