Newcastle Give Up On Cheikh M’Bengue


Jose Enrique’s future is still uncertain on Tyneside, but if the Spanish U21 International moves on this summer, then Newcastle will not be pursuing Cheikh M’Bengue – according to the Evening Chronicle today.

Cheikh M’Bengue – Newcastle will not increase £5M bid

The 22 year-old French U21 International looks a good player and Newcastle put in a £5M bid in mid-April, and although there were reports coming out of France that Newcastle increased that bid to £6M – the Chronicle is reporting that isn’t true.

It seems Newcastle have decided not to increase their initial offer, and will now look at other options should Enrique leave the club.

The Newcastle Journal this morning said that Newcastle would not be pursuing Senegal international left-back Boukary Drame, who we understand is a free agent this summer, since he signed a four year contract at Sochaux in 2007.

And  he would appear to be better value than M’Bengue – so why would Newcastle not be interested in the 8 times capped Senegalese?

Newcastle fans would be happy enough if Jose Enrique agrees to stay on Tyneside, and maybe the reasonably good start in the transfer market may persuade the Spaniard that Newcastle have more ambition than it looked like last January.

That’s when the club were willing to sell their local young star – Andy Carroll – and that upset a number of Newcastle players, not to mention the fans, and probably upset Jose Enrique and Joey Barton the most.

Alan Pardew has always insisted he’ll do everything he can to keep Jose at the club, but Alan doesn’t have much influence with the contracts, as we all witnessed last week, when Newcastle said they would not offer Joey Barton a new contract.

That was a day after Alan has said he wanted Joey Barton to stay at Newcastle, so that was bad timing or good timiong, sin ce he prbabaly new the news would leak out the cloub were not offering him a new deal.

It seems to us that Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias are the two that make all the decisions on players and contracts at Newcastle.

It would still be good news and a nice surprise, if Jose agrees to stay at Newcastle – we hope he does.

Comments welcome.

 



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

124 comments so far

  • ToonAndy

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

    Comment #1

    Just me or is this looking very good for Enrique to stay!??

    0
  • antonufc.ie

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

    Comment #2

    i hope the bull does stay one of the stand out left backs in the premier league last season

    0
  • Nufc_mo

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    Comment #3

    At this rate we wont have our own french army!!

    This saddens me..

    0
  • Selbymag

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

    Comment #4

    Just you ToonAndy ha

    0
  • Andy

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

    Comment #5

    ToonAndy either that or they’ve been alerted to another cheaper option. Hopefully it’s what you’re saying!

    0
  • Birts

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

    Comment #6

    This has got to be good news for Enrique surely and if he stays I have promised the bairn the new home top with Enrique on the back

    0
  • G

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

    Comment #7

    Looks promising for JE staying, or Graeme Carr has a couple of cheaper options on the list maybe?

    0
  • Selbymag

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

    Comment #8

    Im talking the bairn into getting his own name on his shirt. Only way to guarantee it wont be out of date in January

    0
  • Birts

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

    Comment #9

    true selby mag true

    0
  • toonincheek

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

    Comment #10

    Could be a sign that the chances of Enrique staying are better.

    Or – could just be the club playing hardball.
    We don’t seem to be as willing to just increase offers to close a deal as we used to be. Maybe that means we lose out on a player sometimes, but we get a sensible deal on those we do sign.

    0
  • Davies

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM

    Comment #11

    You have to wonder, since this news comes out the day after we supposedly made a “fantastic” offer to Jose and his representatives.

    I’d like to think that the lad’s decided to stay on and see how we get on in the next couple of seasons, but if he’s had his head turned, there’s not much that can be done. There are, I suppose, alternatives.

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

    Comment #12

    how do you think i feel the bairn has got barton 7 on his new shirt i want my money back if he goes

    0
  • wynsleap

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

    Comment #13

    ” A reasonably good start in the transfer market” Ed?
    We haven’t officially signed anybody yet.
    Plenty of hot air but nothing come to the boil yet.

    0
  • Birts

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

    Comment #14

    you never know kentonmags hes not gone til its official mate

    0
  • AussieToon

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

    Comment #15

    Rumours around Gervinho spotted at Newcastle Airport this morning. Another Twitter rumour. If so we will find out today. Let’s hope so.

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

    Comment #16

    BIRTS

    i just get the feeling that come september 1st we are all going to be left dissapointed again as we will be linked with everyone until the fatman has all our season ticket money our midfield next season could be ferguson, guthrie, smith, routledge thats what could happen mate

    0
  • CheickTiote

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM

    Comment #17

    oooooo

    0
  • GeordieToon89

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

    Comment #18

    apparently weve only pulled out of this deal with M’bengue because he has decieded he’s going to play for senegal and will be away abit..we had expected him to carry on with france but he’s now decieded on senegal

    0
  • belfastgeordie87

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

    Comment #19

    haha kentons thats a bit shit mate,i stopped getting names on backs of shirts when ashley took over,and i would advise everybody else to do the same lol

    0
  • GeordieToon89

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

    Comment #20

    btw.. ther is no way wer gettin Gameiro why would he come out and basically say he doesnt want to join a club not in europe and then sign for us :s doesnt make sense..
    And Blanc has not told him to join us as toonruz has said Blanc simply said he needs to move to a better standard so he can prove he can play at the highest level and be an international regular

    0
  • belfastgeordie87

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

    Comment #21

    unless you want llambias on the back of your shirt lol

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

    Comment #22

    Geordietoon89

    Blanc told him to move too us to prove he could do it at the highest level the premier league

    0
  • ilovetoon8788

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

    Comment #23

    No way i want Gamiero in SJP. I want players who want to play for the shirt. He just doesn’t want to be here, so good luck to him elsewhere.

    We should focus our efforts on more realistic targets like Nzogbia, Shane Long, Reo-cooker, Gradel and Demba Ba. Maybe izzaguerrie(the celtic guy) or Van Aanholt as Enrique replacement. Ba and Leon Best fighting for the lone striker spot. Could be an exciting team.

    0
  • ToonAndy

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

    Comment #24

    GeordieToon89 – wasn’t Gervinho meant to be saying he would only Leave for champions league? Now we are looking very good to sign him…

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM

    Comment #25

    TOONANDY

    that was gamiero who said that mate i dont think gervinho has said anything mate

    0
  • Toon_Ksk

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

    Comment #26

    It’ll be good to have Drame as backup. Ferguson is not ready yet.

    0
  • ..SwedishMagpie..

    Jun 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

    Comment #27

    kentonmags no it was Gervinho

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM

    Comment #28

    swedishmagpie

    ok mate just i never read that if we get who were linked with champions league would be a possibility

    0
  • GeordieToon89

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

    Comment #29

    suppose yeh Gervinho did say tht aswel.. no he didnt tell him to come to newcastle he never mentioned us atall

    0
  • Gervinho

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

    Comment #30

    Am I allowed to comment yet Ed?

    0
  • gorgonzola

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM

    Comment #31
  • GeordieGerman

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM

    Comment #32

    Stupid as I may be. But I believe with the right signings this season we could be heading to Europe and with the right signings the season after Champions League. But like I said I’m stupid.

    0
  • toonincheek

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

    Comment #33

    Just can’t see a £16 million bid for Berbatov from PSG.
    If they have made a bid, no way would it be as high as that.
    Total nonsense, or his wages over 5 years have been added as part opf the bid, just to make a headline.

    0
  • kentonmags

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

    Comment #34

    i wouldnt pay 16m for him hes a lazy twat and he is 30

    0
  • gorgonzola

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

    Comment #35

    i think we could why not I mean clubs like Everton and mackem filth to finish ahead of us…its a joke… we are a far better team…

    0
  • GeordieGerman

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

    Comment #36

    gorgonzola, We’re a far better club. The team has to be built.

    0
  • GeordieGerman

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

    Comment #37

    *The team has to be built upon.

    0
  • Trogdor

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

    Comment #38

    Anything new about Gervinho?

    0
  • craigcoozy

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM

    Comment #39

    hey guys, im back. Im bacl with grreat news aswell! the gervinho rumours about him being in the airport are untrue, because he is on internatuonal duty. However I believe he will be flying into Newcastle on Tuesday to discuss terms after a £10.5m deal has been agreed! I here we have given up completely on Gameiro. Ill post more as soon as i get it

    0
  • kevymartins

    Jun 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM

    Comment #40

    cwarr07Colin

    Cabayes replacement Benoit Pedretti has signed for Lille

    0

You must log in to post a comment.