Newcastle Give Up On Cheikh M’Bengue


Jose Enrique’s future is still uncertain on Tyneside, but if the Spanish U21 International moves on this summer, then Newcastle will not be pursuing Cheikh M’Bengue – according to the Evening Chronicle today.

Cheikh M’Bengue – Newcastle will not increase £5M bid

The 22 year-old French U21 International looks a good player and Newcastle put in a £5M bid in mid-April, and although there were reports coming out of France that Newcastle increased that bid to £6M – the Chronicle is reporting that isn’t true.

It seems Newcastle have decided not to increase their initial offer, and will now look at other options should Enrique leave the club.

The Newcastle Journal this morning said that Newcastle would not be pursuing Senegal international left-back Boukary Drame, who we understand is a free agent this summer, since he signed a four year contract at Sochaux in 2007.

And  he would appear to be better value than M’Bengue – so why would Newcastle not be interested in the 8 times capped Senegalese?

Newcastle fans would be happy enough if Jose Enrique agrees to stay on Tyneside, and maybe the reasonably good start in the transfer market may persuade the Spaniard that Newcastle have more ambition than it looked like last January.

That’s when the club were willing to sell their local young star – Andy Carroll – and that upset a number of Newcastle players, not to mention the fans, and probably upset Jose Enrique and Joey Barton the most.

Alan Pardew has always insisted he’ll do everything he can to keep Jose at the club, but Alan doesn’t have much influence with the contracts, as we all witnessed last week, when Newcastle said they would not offer Joey Barton a new contract.

That was a day after Alan has said he wanted Joey Barton to stay at Newcastle, so that was bad timing or good timiong, sin ce he prbabaly new the news would leak out the cloub were not offering him a new deal.

It seems to us that Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias are the two that make all the decisions on players and contracts at Newcastle.

It would still be good news and a nice surprise, if Jose agrees to stay at Newcastle – we hope he does.

Comments welcome.

 


124 comments so far

  • max

    Jun 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM

    Comment #121

    what about armand traore? former arsenal player

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Jun 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM

    Comment #122

    kentonmags – Gervinho said it’s a ‘personal choice’ and will announce it ‘sometime this week’

    Personally I think he’s coming to us…but you never know, Modric anyone??

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Jun 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

    Comment #123

    Patrick Van Aanholt

    Max Gradel / Matt Jarvis

    Taarabt / N’Zogbia

    Gervinho

    …and all them good freebies and add Carr unearthed gems and we’ll be flying.

    0
  • SideshowBen

    Jun 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

    Comment #124

    Just read this on PopBitch. Love a bit of scurrilous, unfounded (hopefully) gossip, me:

    “Looney toons – More fun from Newcastle?

    A Newcastle FC insider made an interesting
    claim to us. The story goes that while
    manager Alan Pardew draws a relatively low
    basic salary, he stands to earn much
    bigger amounts in bonuses based around
    the profit he makes for the club on
    player sales. Which would have made Andy
    Carroll’s 35m transfer rather good
    business. And Jose Enrique’s imminent
    transfer to Man Utd or Liverpool more
    likely than the “fantastic new contract”
    said to be on offer.”

    0

You must log in to post a comment.