Time To Move On From Gameiro And Sign Gervinho

In the old days Newcastle used to persuade their transfer targets to come to Newcastle, by offering them big wages.

Kevin Gameiro – wants to play in Spain or Paris

That was even if the players didn’t particularly want to come to Newcastle for any other reason.

Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro has said again,  that he would like to play his football in Spain, or even in Paris.

This is what he said yesterday:

“I will decide on my future in one or two weeks. I already have an idea.”

“I very much like Spain but other clubs are following me. It is up to me to make a good choice, I will not go to a team where I’ll be on the bench all year.”

“I want to play and it will be up to me to seize my chance. Paris-Saint Germain? It is a club I like very much.” “My choice isn’t made yet – but they’re one of the clubs I appreciate.”

Absolutely no mention of Newcastle there, and he knows his club have already accepted a £10M bid from the Tyneside club for him. Talk about a snub.

And since Newcastle will also pay that fee in cool cash, Lorient no doubt would be hoping Kevin would want to move to Tyneside – but no such luck it seems.

And at the French training camp in Clairefontaine, he told Le Parisien much the same thing today:

“I want to go to a bigger club than Lorient in France or abroad.: “I have always said I am a fan of Spain, this is the football I love.”

“If I go abroad it is to play in the Champions League,” ” “If I stay in France, this would be for the Champions League and maybe also the Europa League.”

“I know Paris, and I have loved the club since I was a child, and have spoken to Mamadou Sakho, PSG captain,  and he is pushing me to come,”

Neither Spanish nor French clubs are  particularly well off financially, and news today that Valencia have only bid £6M for the player.

Just how much PSG can afford is unknown, but it seems like Gamerio will not be coming to Newcastle,  and that Lorient will not be getting £10M for their top player.

Gervinho – let’s get this player

Since it was going to be either Gameiro or Gervinho, but not both, we’d be very happy if Newcastle go for the 24 year-old Ivory Coast International – especially if the lad is keen to join the Magpies.

It may be time to give up on Gameiro, if he doesn’t want to come to Tyneside.

• Andy

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Would still be happy if he signed

• NathanH NUFC

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

What a good idea! Gervinho > Gamiero

• toonbelmonter(mr.T...iote)

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

tbh i think gameiro has dug a hole, his club accepted a bid from us so he shud never have spoken like this, if he does come here wich is very unlikely then every1 will know he doesnt wanna be lol, if no gerviho aswel, theres plenty of options

• Pards28

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Get shane long, ba and gervinho

• Ryan_NUFC88

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM

• Nufc_mo

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

@Ryan Nufc… i havent even seen the new away kit 😛

Gameiro is talented… but after what he has said… bringing him to the toon would be a big mistake.

So now that gameiro is out of the question, i hope we make an offer for sturridge

• geoff777

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

If Lorient only give him permission to speak to Newcastle and not Valencia (as they haven’t met their valuation) Gameiro might not have many options except us, if he wants to earn more than the reported 8k he is on now.

• GeordieGerman

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Nufc_mo, Only way I (I) can make any sense of that article is if Enrique is staying.

• Ryan_NUFC88

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I agree @nufc_mo if Gameiro doesn’t want to be here, withdraw our bid and go for someone who would be commited to the cause.

• BiffBaffBoff

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Sturridge might only come if we sell Barton + will Chelsea WANT to sell him? They might have plans to use him this year with Drogba and Anelka the wrong side of 30

• Nufc_mo

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

@Geoff777

Do we really want another forward who chose to come here for higher wages and had no other option?

Forgetting a certain Michelle Owen?

• Nufc_mo

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

@Biffbaffboff

Abromavich will want another big name forward… After all he was the man behind Torres coming….

• Magpietillidie22

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Nufc_mo

I agree on Gameiro, Ive wanted that chase ended weeks ago!

On m’bengue in a way im glad we are moving on to new targets HOPEFULLY outside of france lol

• connor_nufc

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Move to nzogbia nw , stop messing around and sign this lad back

• Burni

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

gg: thats exactly what I thought!

Someone made a point a while ago about how taylor was being handled and it was…. hes staying…. hes going…. liverpool are interested ….. no ones interested….

I hope that it could be that enrique is staying would prefer that.

• ..SwedishMagpie..

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Gervinho > Gamerio every day

• h0sta

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

like people who stands by their opinion even more if it´s a pro footballer…i think gervinho could fit in the team more..good in link-up and we can play mix it up game next season with so many attacking midfielders and no prolific striker…future style i think

• Zangwill_Ho

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Gervinho is out first choice!

• geoff777

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

@Nufc_mo

He’s young and ambitious he’ll play well wherever he goes.
    Pardew obviously reckons he’s worth bidding for.

The club need to withdraw their bid if they think his attitude will be wrong.
    Sounds like he’s looking to create interest where there isn’t any yet.

I’d prefer Sturridge but there’s no indication Chelsea will sell him.

• sambabali

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I hope there are some scouts at Belgium-Turkey.
    Belgium are gonna crush them =D definitely should buy a belgian player =P

• Sambo from belgium

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

lol, what sambabali says =P

• The Entertainers

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Money talks at the end of the day. His club will accept the highest bid and we’ll offer ridiculous wages compared to the potential French clubs.

The only sad news is his preference to join other clubs, hopefully he’ll be blown away if the stories of a club tour are correct.

• Zangwill_Ho

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

We need the player does like nufc,otherwise we don’t need him!whatever u are a good player or not

• dannyk9

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

gervinho please then a 15/20 goal season striker and another winger happy days ahead i hope

• G

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM

The more quotes I hear from this lad, the less I want him at the club. Are the sources of the quotes reliable though, or are they either the words of an agent or lost in translation? If any French bloggers out there could shed any light, it would be appreciated.

• G hes sed this himself in a pre match interview

• G

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

@ Toonblemonter. Murky Buckets.

• gg that say gervinho wants to come here lol

• Ericles

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

It is simple. If a player like Gameiro wants to play non-football games with NUFC then the club should tell him we are no longer interested. Gervino is still worth a shout but let’s get Nzogbia back on board first and clarify the Enrique situation too. I am beginning to think some of Pardew’s targets think Tyneside is the Folies Bergere and we are in the can-can business.

• Nufc_mo

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Simmo is in LA… lucky bugger.

• belfastgeordie87

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

if he dosent wanna come move on,on the enrique situation if he does leave its the clubs fault,it wasnt so long ago he was saying he wanted to finish his career here,then mad mike sacked hughton and sold carrol,i didnt believe carrol when he said was forced out, but as time goes on im starting to believe he was told to go.

• Ollieh51

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Who the LL Cool J does this clown think he is?!

One decent season in the French league and he reckons he can now play the star role for a champions league team?!

Tell you what mate, go to Spain, be forever eclipsed by the two massive clubs there and get stuck in a league likened only to the SPL with the disparity between the top two and the rest of the league!

NOT INTERESTED!

• Davies

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Belfast – I still don’t believe Carroll when he says he was forced out.

• carrollsinger

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Bid for Nile ranger 4.5 mill been excepted from qpr

• GeordieGerman

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

toonbelmonter, I’m not sure but isn’t Le Figaro the equivalent to the Times in France?

• Nufc_mo

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

@Ollieh
    I dont think its that mate…

he finally has the chance to play in the CL, and he doesnt want to let that go…. i for one would be reluctant to do that aswell…