The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Turned Down China And Thailand Tours

11:27 am, Friday, June 3rd, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Alan Pardew has said today that Newcastle turned down the chance of tours to China and Thailand this summer.

Alan Pardew - his idea to tour America

Newcastle have arranged a three game tour of the USA in July, with games against Sporting Club Kansas, Orlando City and the Columbus Crew.

The Newcastle Journal is reporting that Newcastle will sign Yohan Cabaye next week, and he could be joined by Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro, but we still wonder about that.

Pardew has said the first class facilities that exist in the states will give Newcastle a good start for their their pre-season preparations.

This is what Alan said this morning:

“America was my idea,” “From the conversations I’ve had with other managers, I’ve come to the conclusion that touring the Far East isn’t ideal. We had a couple of offers to go out there, and they were lucrative deals.”

“But they would have been beset with problems in terms of communication, facilities, traveling and food. While some of the distances are quite long in America, we know the training environment is going to be first class.”

“The food and facilities will be absolutely top-drawer. It will be the best place for us. I wanted to take the players to somewhere that would give them a bit of a buzz, and I think America will do that.”

“It should also be a great trip for our supporters as well. I’m sure we’ll have lots of people who will be looking at their holidays and thinking it will be nice to catch us in Orlando or Columbus.”

“There was a lot of thought went into that, and hopefully it will be a successful tour. It will be important because hopefully that’s where I’ll be bedding the new players in,”

“We don’t want to leave it too late with the signings. I’ve seen that (Roberto) Mancini has said he wants all his signings by July 1. Well, they’ve got the financial clout to do that. We haven’t, so we have to do the best job we can in terms of getting them in.”

“I’ve been to the States and had a little look round a couple of NFL facilities in the past.” “I’ve never toured there, but I know where we’re going is where Man United went, and Sir Alex has given it a very strong recommendation.”

The distances are quite big over here in the US, but that’s why everybody flies all over the place – so in that way it’s not too bad.

Of course the temperatures will be very high all over America in July, and here in Raleigh, North Carolina  yesterday, our high was 97 degrees Fahrenheit – we don’t do Centigrade over here – but I think that’s around 36.1 degrees C.

The facilities are first class for sports in America, and there is still an increasing interest in the other football – which they call soccer over here – a name derived from Association Football..

The European Champions League Final was put on the main Fox channel  last Saturday, and apparently got a decent viewing audience.

It was unfortunate the US announcer said the teams were escorted out by four Beefeaters, rather then Royal Guards, but nobody corrected him and the referee was said to be from Hungaria – maybe the guy was nervous. :D

I didn’t realize  Beefeaters wore Busbies!

American Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey are by far the most popular sports in America, with football (soccer) still way way down the list.

In fact on the USA Today Sports page, there are 10 sports listed at the top, and soccer is not even listed separately, but under “More” – so you get an idea what we mean.

And by the way former Newcastle left-back Warren Barton is one of the top analysts over here on Fox Soccer, and he’s a terrific ambassador for Newcastle United.

Warren could hardly contain himself when he analyzing the 4-4 draw at home to Arsenal. :D

And of course the tour gives a chance to all the Newcastle fans over here  to see the lads.

The last time Newcastle were over here was when Bobby Robson brought the lads over in 2000.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM

First.
    WOots.

• 2 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

You cant take this victory away from me NottsGeordie. Legit Victory. Confirmed it with the Race Stewards!

Thats 2 1st place finishes in the last 3 races… The F1 Trophy better have ma name on it :P

• 3 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Simmo would have probably complained aswell. The lad is busy partying it up with Gaga in Vegas… according to twitter..

• 4 Cardboy // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM

More casinos in the US!!!!

• 5 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Oh snap. Your right Cardboy!

Sigh… majority of our 35mill Transfer kitty is gonna be spent By fat cat ashley at the Casino’s….

• 6 Selbymag // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Its the right decision, teams that tour Asia always have slow starts to the season! Last time NUFC went they had a shocking start. Temp and Humidity are a killer.

• 7 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Sunderland are off the Germany… Hope they get a right arse whoopin over there…

• 8 roshan MAGPIE // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I THINK NUFC MUST COME TO INDIA

• 9 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:44 AM

NUFC MUST COME TO SINGAPORE!!!

Talking about Singapore… Laurent Robert is set to sign for a French team in the Singapore league called Etoile… Shame i cant find my old NEwcastle Top with Robert on the back… would be absolutely over the moon if the lad signed it!

• 10 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Clattermole to the scousers for 10mill? If they want that shite at the club, we might aswell offer Nolan to them for atleast 15mill, and Make joey Barton Captain in the center of the pitch!

• 11 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Not saying Nolan is Shite btw.

• 12 Selbymag // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

had the conversation before re India! Might sell a few shirts but there is no decent footballing infrastructure and unstable political arena.
    Who would we play ?

• 13 Indian Magpie // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM

A team from all the betterplayers of I league. Mohan Bagan, East bengal or the Indian Team

• 14 Stuart // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM

So not so much a tour as 1 game? That makes absolutely no financial sense lol.

• 15 Nufc_mo // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Newcastle should have a tour in france :D

• 16 nden85 // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

@ Selbymag; they could have a game of inter-squad headers and volleys

• 17 nden85 // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

perhaps implement jumpers as a makeshift goal posts

• 18 Selbymag // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

The national team is ranked 145th in the world. For a country with a population of circa 1.2 billion.
    There really is no sense in any english side touring India.

• 19 Indian Magpie // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

could make that 2-3, the teams wd be better that Shamrock rovers and carlisle UTD and darlington

• 20 CheickTiote // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM

booooooring. Any news??

• 21 Indian Magpie // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Money Talks

• 22 Selbymag // Jun 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yeah but Carlisle and Darlington are just down the road! not a great arguement

• 23 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

“Well, they’ve got the financial clout to do that. We haven’t, so we have to do the best job we can in terms of getting them in.”

– What did Alan Pardew mean with that bit above ???????????

• 24 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Spurs sign Brad Friedel on a free.

• 25 Davies // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM

25th BAM!!!

• 26 Davies // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM

JP – He means City have an owner that throws cash around with abandon. We don’t. Some say a good thing, some say a bad thing.

Personally, I’m waiting until the close of this window before I make my judgement.

• 27 CheickTiote // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM

He means that Mancini has financial power to lure players in like wages etcetc. We however do not have such financial power to lure people in, and so they’re doing their best to get him in with our restrictions.

• 28 Davies // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hey JP. You in Gib?

• 29 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I am dying for Gervinho to sign. I barely slept thinking about it lol If we don’t sign quality players this summer I will have no doubts as to where this club is heading. I still have high hopes as usual though.

• 30 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Davies – Yup :) Where are you?

• 31 craigcoozy // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I hav jus been told by entertainers that sum1 has been posting as me! Please jus look at twiter! Its prob indian magpie makin it up! I stil dont knw who player is or anythin about gervinho

• 32 JAMSHA // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Roshand did u forget mumbai fc :-)
    Wish newcastle comes to india.

• 33 JAMSHA // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Coozy is that player stl at newcastle?

• 34 BiffBaffBoff // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

NUFC_mo,

They went to Malaysia a few years ago with Chelsea and Birmingham, I got to meet the great SBR and players.

Also ran into Ken Bates a few times who kept wanting to give me his autograph, he was quite drunk lol. He also kept asking me if i had seen “Mr. Ranieri” who was the manager of chelsea at the time, this was the very first season Abramovich took over chelsea.

• 35 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

craigcoozy – What about Gameiro?

• 36 Davies // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM

JP – Provincial Berkshire, but I had a few years on the rock as a kid. My sister still lives there, but she’s a filthy Liverpool supporter.

Might be over that way in the summer, if money allows.

• 37 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Davies – Well it’s really sunny over here now and Gib’s changed a lot since. The weather and the girls here are still beautiful though :)

I keep envying fans on the blog cuz I can’t make it to the games and they can. I was even considering studying something in the Newcastle University just to be able to get a season ticket, and I HATE studying! :D

• 38 LondonMagpie // Jun 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM

@JP

Exactly what i was going to do then i realised Newcastle is pretty much in Scotland and up there they are happy in summer if its light rain they get the BBQ’s out and everything!!!

• 39 jos // Jun 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Sorry Ed, Barton was a right back!

• 40 JP...from The Rock // Jun 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

LondonMagpie – Hahahaha :)

It’s a damn shame I didn’t think of that idea of mine sooner and not when I was a mature student in a good job. No chance now with my house n everything :( When I can save a bit of money I will go back to Newcastle and watch a couple of matches in two weeks or sumthin.

• 41 Trackman20 // Jun 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM

To be fair Ed, MLS is out drawing NHL in attendance and the NBA. Some MLS teams are out drawing their MLB counterparts in competitions (Seattle, Toronto, DC). You paint a pretty bleak picture of the state of soccer here in America.

• 42 davis_toons // Jun 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM

So glad that AP is taking some good advise from Sir Alex.

What Ap said was true. The food and stuff

• 43 OhioToon // Jun 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I have tickets just off midfield for the Columbus match. First time seeing the Toon in person and I am quite excited.

I love football, but still have a hard time following the MLS…a split table, playoffs, and no relegation take some of the fun out of it, as well as the style of play is sometimes lacking.

What is nice though is that I notice all the incoming expansion teams are often ones with a much more solid footing of fan support even before they are granted teams. Toronto, Seattle, Portland, and Montreal all seem to be not just adding teams, but a lot of atmosphere to the league. And yes, in attendance figures it does average out to being somewhere like 6th in the world for people at the gate, so it does have a certain niche. However, even in those cities that have a team there are many more supporters of PL, LaLiga, and yes some SeriaA fans that do not pay a lick of attention to the MLS.

And when I explain to non-fans or people unfamiliar with relegation they are amazed and quite interested in a function that assures even the bottom teams put in top effort each match, and there are no Pittsburgh Pirates, or Detroit Lions, or LA Clipper teams that just are perennial bottom dwellers just functioning barely enough to raise ticket prices and make some money.

• 44 BonVoyageBenny // Jun 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

So who’s going to any of the US games? I’m flying from Dubai on a family holiday to Orlando, had it all planned when Newcastle announced they were playing there. Was over the moon.

previous post: Arsenal In Pole Position To Get Kevin Gameiro?

next post: Local Paper Reporting Newcastle Close To Gamerio Signing